Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is a quick journalistic ethics question (I don't know if this is in the right place or not). I wrote a review of a charity readthrough of a play that was staged with the idea of raising funding for a full production. The review was hugely positive as it was genuinely a great play and I also support the cause it puts forward 100%. So after I'd submitted my review I got this email:

I wouldn't ever usually edit criticism at the behest of a producer, but I think she does have a point that this was a charity event and the actors admitted they had very little rehearsal time. Also, if my review can help the play get proper staging then I'd definitely want that to happen.

Input?

I think that's pretty cheeky. The producer can send round an edited version if he/she wants. Reply saying 'thanks - that won't be possible, but feel free to use excerpts from the review in your publicity'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nyarai posted:

Hi all. I could use some opinions on this.

I have an MC whose name is (courtesy of a random generator) Edwin Weiss. He's a megalomaniac and not nearly as smart as he thinks. In the intro, I was going to have him introduce himself (tentative first person POV) and elaborate, "You know, like the magician? Bah, no one ever gets it."

Now, I know that Harry Houdini's real name was Erik Weiss (:thejoke:), but I'm concerned that my audience will assume I am confused, not the character. Normally not a big deal, but it's for a writing contest. Is the characterization worth the trouble to offer an explanation (one line in the dA description), or worse, risk people assuming I don't do basic research?

Thanks for your time. :)

For what it's worth I had no idea Houdini's real name was Weiss, and I'm a general knowledge ninja. So unless your character is sort of a bitter hipster I'd not bother with that line unless you're going to spell it out a little.

^and noir is classically first person, but there's no reason you couldn't do it in 3rd.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pseudorandom posted:

I'm looking to try to boost my creativity level, and I've been thinking that writing short stories may be a good way to do that. Now, I think one of my biggest weaknesses on that front is character development. Does anyone know of some good resources that might help offer basic tips for creating good characters in fiction?

I looked through the resource link thread and there didn't seem to be anything that obviously fit what I was looking for, though the Seventh Sanctum character generators might help a bit.

Come to Thunderdome. It is, no lie, the best thing to happen to my writing in my life to date.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maxwell Lord posted:

I have a script for a sci-fi audio play. I got some feedback here on the opening scene, but the thread where I linked the whole thing on Google Docs has two replies, both mine, after a month, so I'm not expecting to hear much more on that. I'd like to produce it or get it produced somehow but it's tough to know where to start on something like that.

What would you say my best options are? Should I try to pimp it harder here and get more interest, or would that come off desperate, or should I try to present it differently? Are there other good places to circulate something like this?

I'm trying not to come off all E/N about this, I can think of a couple of things I did wrong putting it up, and the answer may well be let it lie fallow for a while. I've got other things on the burner but this is a project I'm passionate about and I need to get better at self promotion. So advice is welcome.

Hey Maxwell. I'll have a look at it. I would be happy to read a part for you too, see here for what my voice sounds like to see if that would be helpful.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm starting to look over how many actors I'd need but there's still organization in terms of having an engineer and sourcing the sound and music and so on. The Solicitation thread seems to be mostly for full pitches ("I need X amount of money, here's what I'll do with it") and I'm not quite at that stage yet. That's partly what I'm searching around for, any help actually doing the logistics of an audio production.

I'm not quite clear what you're wanting - people to help with sound/music? Or someone to talk to about how to find people to help with sound/music/recording?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Red Crown posted:

I'm looking to get a microphone for my organization. We've recently started recording a lot of our events for eventual publication on YouTube. We have a nice camera that takes really high quality video, but it doesn't do that great of a job with the audio. We have a lot of older speakers, so we need something that can pick up that kind of thing reliably. I don't know the first thing about this. Our budget is tight, but not that tight. Is there anything we can get for between $100 and $300?

Definitely. There are some very solid, cheap USB mics that aren't great for recording music with because of the latency but are great for what you want.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arcsquad12 posted:

Childish question, but are we allowed to post fanfiction work we have written or is it only original stuff? I'm looking for feedback beyond two sentence reviews on FF.Net

yes, certainly. you will get some ribbing but probably useful feedback as well. if it's a longer piece post it in its own thread, if it's shorter then there's a fiction farm thread that I'll bump in a mo.

that said, thunderdome is the best place for writing feedback around here, but unfortunately it doesn't like fan fiction.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hey everyone. Never been to CC before because I'm not creative. I spend most of my time poo poo posting in GBS or YLLS. I don't know if this is the right place for this but I'll ask anyway.

So I need a new hobby. I don't know why but I was thinking about starting a blog. Mostly out of boredom. Not to make money or anything but just to get out my bullshit. Probably about living with bipolar or outdoors stuff or whatever I happen to be not thinking about. I don't read many blogs unless it pops up on a google search so I know nothing about them.

Do you guys think this would be a good idea for me? How do I go about starting one? I've seen wordpress and tumblr and most of my tumblr experience is people in GBS or PYF posting funny poo poo from damaged people. So I'd probably fit right in.

What do you guys think? Can I do this? Is it a decent idea for a hobby? I guess I don't even really care if anyone sees it; it'd be more of something to get my thoughts out like a journal or something.

Any ideas?

do it! set yourself an update frequency and put it in writing. don't worry about not being creative, the only difference between being creative and not is creating stuff.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ooo. I like that quote. "The only difference between creative and not is not creating stuff." :) Should I do wordpress or something. I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I'm about to google "how to make a blog" right now.

Also I'm not sure what update frequency is. Do you just mean like, post something weekly no matter what? I was just planning on "Hey, here's a dumb thought, let's write it down!"

'I'm going to post something three times a week, on Mon weds and fri.' Or once a week, doesn't really matter, but it's crucial if you don't want it to peter out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Duly noted. Just gotta make sure I have some actual content. It will mostly be words I'd imagine since I have no talent.

Honestly, just tell yourself you're going to write total crap and do it, but try and make each entry a bit less crappy than the one before.

Because you have a schedule (doesn't have to be 3/wk, just whatever will work) you'll be wandering around and an idea will pop up for a post and you can toss it round in your head, refining it then poop it out onto the screen.

Sometimes it will be a drag and a grind and you'll feel dumb, but producing is the only way to produce, so outsourcing the motivation to some kind of formal structure is really useful. From personal experience 50% of the stories i write start from a blank page and a blank head and I wouldn't do them without a deadline.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah there's no apostrophe there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Parallax Scroll posted:

I've recently gotten into video editing in order to make animated gifs. I make purely derivative works by taking TV/movie footage and editing it to make something new, such as a mashup of multiple scenes, editing longer scenes down to shorter ones, or simply modifying something to make it loop smoothly. Is that sort of thing OK to post in this subforum, or would that be considered plagiarism/copyright infringement?

No, that's fine. Make a thread if you want to post a bunch.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bushmaori posted:

So I'm writing some awful science fiction that I'm both selling and giving out for free, so the reader can decide if it was worth the money. The two I have out there at the moment are a novella (Quintessence) and a novel (Primarius One). These are both under the pen name John Hale. While I have no problem giving these out for free, at least for now, I would still like to keep track of statistics and reviews, and I would like to ensure that people are able to read the most current and error-free versions. I have two questions relating to this.

1: Can anybody recommend a good website which can help in giving away free versions of my ebooks? I am currently trying out Inkitt, but I would like to expand this if possible.
2: What is the deal with websites which already claim to be giving away my work for free? Obviously, the majority of these such as: http://robbvill.info/ebook/76062-The-Start-of-the-End-of-the-World-Prima.html are scams. It's simple to understand this by the comments and descriptions, which look auto-generated. Are there any out there that are legitimate, though? I would like to get ahead of these if possible to prevent them from being released in places without my permission.

Thanks for the help.

try the self publishing thread if you don't get a useful answer there, they're all over this stuff.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JuniperCake posted:

Promoting more art threads is always cool though I wonder what this thread would provide that people wouldn't already get from posting in daily drawing and doodles. It's already a pretty relaxed and mostly critique-less atmosphere in there and people certainly post plenty of fanart in there.

Though imo try it and see if the thread gains any traction? Worst that could happen is no one posts in there.

Sounds good to me, go for it!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lofi posted:

Does SA have an art chat thread/irc?

There is a general cc chat thread, or one of the daily drawing threads.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Edward Mass posted:

Can someone help me with an audio project I'm working on? I'm trying to do my own plunderphonics, but I can't time everything down. I have almost all the samples I need.

Maybe, what's the problem?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sociopastry posted:

Is there a name for the genre of art that's fantasy, but highly 80's? Stuff like Boris Vallejo.

Van Art.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah it's hard to be specific about this. I saw one picture of a dark foggy path with dark trees on either side. The reverse of that would be a light, welcoming path if I could have found it. Again, a dark mountain with storms or a bright mountain with streams. Lightning storms or clear skies. I'm pretty open. Just like... no anime or anything like that. In fact I'd like to avoid humans altogether and just have some sort of natural phenomena or landscapes or something.

I don't know, I'm an idiot. I was looking on allposters.com and redbubble.com previously without much luck and those seem to be pretty big sites. I'll look some more. I haven't looked for storms yet.

There's this guy, not quite what you want but close? You can buy a high res image for a few bucks I think.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Two sheets of thin glass?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pixelante posted:

Is there any interest in a "show off your work" thread? I haven't found anything along those lines, but I'd be really interested to see what other goons are up to.

Hell yeah, go for it!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

credburn posted:

I do a podcast where we adapt video games into weird audio dramas. I need a handful of people to (without pay) record a bunch of video game lines. Is it appropriate for me to create a thread for this purpose? I know about the recordthisforfree subreddit, but I'm hesitant in using it because from what I've seen, the most prolific people offering their voices there are kids, teenagers, or people who don't have a very good microphone. Not that I need anything professional, but it needs to sound... at least consistent with the bitrate of the rest of the show. Also, I have a better connection with goons than reddit? I'm still not entirely sure how reddit works.

Yes, this is fine: just be clear that it's for free. I'm happy to record some lines for you, I have an ok mic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Christoph posted:

Does anyone know what kind of software I should use to make drone/ambient tracks?

I haven't touched audio editing software since 2007 and have no clue what's actually good.

Reaper is my pick. Look into to Paulstretch as well, it makes wonderful washes out of basically everything.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Christoph posted:

Two novel-writing related questions (if I'm in the wrong thread, sorry):

1. What is some good outlining software (and/or website)? I'm looking for something that's along the lines of like a flow chart but that can handle all kinds of notes and convolutions. I am completely incapable of organizing and navigating multiple word documents.

2. Is there a site that has a diagram/graph/flow chart for plot types/story arcs? As in, the chart that shows the building of tension, climax, etc, and variations? I know there are those little write-your-book journals, it would basically be like that but I could save and edit it on an electronical computer.

I've realized that plowing ahead and writing a book without an outline is not feasible for me. I've also realized that I suck at outlining
:negative:

Lester dents pulp guide is good, as is the Dan harmon story circle

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hmm, don't think so. Feel free to start one, and jump into any discords to pimp it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gmc9987 posted:

I am working on a little intro animation for a youtube channel. I haven't been in the audio sourcing game in quite a while, can anyone here recommend a good free/cheap royalty-free SFX website? I need to find a short stinger for the intro, and the budget for this project is very tiny so subscribing to one of the larger SFX/music licensing websites isn't an option right now; I mainly just want something inexpensive or free that I can legally use.

Prob best just to google royalty free stingers, you're going to need to pick one you like anyway

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Knock yourself out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Capntastic posted:

The screenwriting thread is locked so I’ll drop this here, sorry:

Trying to use my shelter in place time wisely, so does anyone have any book or video course suggestions for screenwriting? I’ve been asked to look over spec scripts by friends a few times and having a better grasp of mechanics and what the people that toil through submissions want more and less of would be grand. Thanks in advance!

Syd Field.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Turbinosamente posted:

Is there an active general poetry thread? I was looking for a more casual style one like, say, the daily drawing thread, but all I can find is the semi defunct thunderdome one and a couple individual threads. I am nowhere near good enough for a contest thread is the thing.

Start one! A daily poem thread would be dope.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm just venturing into the subforum, and about to ask some real dumb questions.

Are there just general "conversation" threads? I make art type stuff, but don't always see where it fits. Many of the threads seem to have specific purposes, or goals. I just want to share what I make with peeps who might like to see it. Is etiquette to make your own thread? Do we have a just general place to post whatever? I read the rules and don't expect a hug fest or anything- I'm just new and don't want to poo poo up threads.

(Not sure if it matters, most of my stuff is pen/ink/calligraphy and the like, but with other attempts at stuff)

Hi! Yeah, etiquette is fairly loose just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.

This is a relatively low traffic forum where most people stay in their large threads (like thunderdome, daily drawing, etc) so there's a risk if you make a thread it won't get much attention. However! Do it anyway, could be there are a bunch of people who are keen to see your poo poo and share their own!

Alternatively, the daily drawing thread is active and a great place to post your stuff, the artdome thread has a bunch of good things, the chat thread won't mind whatever you want to do to it and I think there are a couple of other art threads that might suit.

If you've got something you're particularly proud of head over to the travelling circus in PYF and post it there, our PYF friends are being super slack and need a bit of an example set for them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's also the daily drawing thread, there are some poo poo hot artists in there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mescal posted:

How come my voice sounds crappy on my iphone while on speaker, but good when headphones with no mic are connected?

Headphones have better sound repro than tiny speakers

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sound lines

wiggly sound lines

loving sound lines and they go up and down

you know what I mean google the wiggly lines with the dot and it moves

goigle I can't afford an anime work with me show me the goddam uppy downy scribble and its a sound wave

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I would start in the hundreds as an offer if they don't give you a ballpark, but yeah just troll through artist websites like deviantartart or maybe fiverr and send them a pm. Being paid to make art is the job, the only thing for you to do is be polite and realistic about asking and paying for it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is there a, like, "beginner's guide to cinematic cameras" that someone could recommend? The context is that I'm working on cinematics for my game. I'm looking really for something pretty short that lays out stuff like how to frame things so that the viewer doesn't get lost when you cut from camera A to camera B, what kinds of camera motion/rotation/zooming are appropriate, and of course any basics that I'm too uneducated to know to ask about.

So far all of my cinematics have been pretty basic, with the camera having minimal movement and mostly just tracking between points of interest, maybe with a zoom in/out. But I'm working on a cinematic that has three distinct shots, and I'm struggling a bit to compose them together properly.

https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/ultimate-guide-to-camera-shots/
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/film-studies-101-camera-shots-styles/
https://www.adorama.com/alc/14-basic-cinematography-techniques-for-better-cinematic-shots/
https://www.seenit.io/film-school/6-basic-camera-movements-and-why-they-matter/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Not that I'm aware, feel free to make one! Though there might be a goons who blog thread, I seem to recall seeing one a while back

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lamont posted:

I'm trying to create a gallery on imgur (desktop site) but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do simple poo poo like add captions to images or even get a link to the gallery. Is this one of those rear end in a top hat things where they've deliberately made it unusable so you have to get the app?

Just upload some photos, it should be fairly automatic? What have you tried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The apocalypse world worksheets are good for that