Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I come as a complete know-nothing when it comes to image manipulation, so maybe you can point me in the right direction.

I want to make a dumb thing* and would like to convert this screenshot (from Erasure's "Always"):

into a line drawing that I can trace or transfer onto a carving block. I've followed GIMP and Inkscape tutorials (the tools available to me) and the best I could get is this:

which is better than I had hoped for, to be honest. It gives me a lot of the facial lines, plus a decent amount of detail that I can either work with or fill out manually.

That said, if you're really good at this kind of thing and can tell it could be done better, I'm all ears -- can you think of better tools or tutorials I can follow? If it helps, most of the tutorials I've found followed some variation on this. I'd rather not spring for Photoshop since I use these tools once in a blue moon, thus my lack of knowledge.

Thanks!

* If you're interested in the specifics of my dumb idea: I'd like to turn that into an ukiyo-e style print and this would be a good way to create a key block layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

lofi posted:

Print it out, draw your new layer on tracing paper on top. Tech is cute, but it just doesn't prioritise the same things as the human eye.

You're right, I guess I was looking to shortcut the more annoying part of that work, esp. if it would help with colour separation (vs. what I've been doing with monochromatic prints).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Another "photoshop" question although I only have GiMP and Paint.net available to me:

I have a scan of a faint tracing (graphite pencil on white tracing paper) that's reasonably detailed in spots but very faint overall. Is there a way for one of those tools to embiggen darken / make the lines more solid? The various "trace" and "outline" search terms I used all led to entirely different topics.

I've fooled around with various edge detect + colour invert methods but I have no idea whether that's the best way to go about it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! I'll give that a shot :tipshat:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The Tools Thread might have more opinions.

My personal experience with a pressure pot is pending (but soon!) and will involve a... modified HF pot. Pray for Mojo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Franchescanado posted:

What website client is going to be simple, affordable and allow me the layout I like without too much hassle?

According to every creative YouTuber's sponsorship deals, it's Squarespace.

(My wife, who's not a YouTuber, also likes it and set up her writing portfolio and some clients' sites, so it's not all fluff. She can't speak to the e-commerce part of it though)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

crossposting from the Wacom thread.

Are you effectively looking to vectorize your scans? Because if so I'll second your question. I've made some lino prints and would like the option of scaling and printing them in other ways.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yeah, I'm more or less in the same boat -- the only reason I know the term is because I ended up researching how to get a logo engraved into aluminum, and that required scanning old magazines and paying a guy on Fiverr to do the actual vector tracing...

Anyway! I went down the same tablet/Adobe/etc. research path but realized I didn't want to spend hundreds of bucks, so I'm always on the lookout for alternatives. Inkscape is free and using its built-in functions might be the way to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiFiKXlMQ2g

but I haven't tried it yet. I figure it might be even more effective if you're like me and print in monochrome. I'll scan a print or two later and report on how well it worked.

Also, do you post your prints anywhere? We have a trad art thread here and I'm always curious about others' works.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I have mostly good news! That tutorial worked for my needs -- I scanned in a (badly overinked) proof I had nearby and followed along. The reason I say mostly good news is that it will almost certainly require trial and error, in addition to some prep of the image. Note that the below are my-dumb-rear end-trying-things-out steps rather than any kind of actual instruction.

Here is a part of the initial scan (I made a Godzilla print couple months ago for :iiam: reasons):

Zoomed in on some of the teeth:

I opened the scan in GIMP to remove the grey background of the paper itself, which worked pretty well using the Select by Color Tool and hitting the Delete key. I was left with just the black print and the transparent background.

Pretty sure that I should've made a few more colour selections to capture all of the paper background, but this worked well enough. And honestly... it may have been completely unnecessary. As in, I don't even know why a transparent background would be needed here. I'll play around with that... eventually.

Anyway, I exported that as a .png, opened it in Inkscape, and followed the video. This is where trial and error may be necessary. I kept the test simple and used a Single Scan, Brightness Cutoff, Brightness Threshold = 0.6. Let the computer chug along for a few seconds and exported the resulting object as a standard .svg file. Here it is zoomed in the same way as far as Inkscape would let me, to 25,600%:

No trace of pixellation at all, so I'm calling it a success. It's something I can tweak if I see dropped features from the original print. Hope it works for you too -- beats buying hardware and software and doing this by hand.

As for sharing art, I feel you. Prior to posting the prints on SA (and then elsewhere) my audience consisted of... my wife, basically. But being a hobbyist, I think the stakes are low and goons are generally encouraging. So I :justpost: my art-like stuff and every so often produce something decent. Completely understood if you don't feel like doing so though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Scholtz posted:

Also, I was thinking about making the paper a little more aged looking.

You can simplify things a bit by buying a sheet of a "natural" printmaker's paper, something made of mulberry or gampi like: https://www.dickblick.com/products/kitakata-paper/. It pretty much looks aged by default, and it lends itself to creating deckled edges if you want that too.

I'll admit I haven't tried using that paper in an actual printer -- I've only used it for relief printing -- but I don't see why it shouldn't work. You might be able to get a sheet like that for less than $5 from a local art supply store, so it's not a huge investment.

There's also the added bonus of those papers being of archival quality, so the print shouldn't degrade over time.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Syd Mead would be incredibly, eye-wateringly expensive, even more so because he'd have to be resurrected first.

I bet zombie Syd Mead would produce some amazing stuff though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I have a similar project in mind and while I haven't tried them yet, I came across these as potential solutions.

No adhesive on the cards:

https://www.michaels.com/lineco-mylar-archival-mounting-corners/D287433S.html

Supposedly safe double-sided tape:

https://www.michaels.com/magic-mounts-1%2F2in-removable-mounting-tabs-12-bundle-packs/D084609S.html

https://www.michaels.com/recollections-double-sided-mounting-squares-repositionable/10377349.html

But again: I have no personal experience with either.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thirding, as I -- a complete A/V idiot -- managed to figure out how to use it using a bunch of YouTube tutorials and make a passable video.

Its major problems aren't editing as much as how/what I chose to film, DaVinci Resolve itself was excellent.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

The Bananana posted:

Maybe I need a class on that sort of youtube (running it, creating for it, etc).

Any info on that? Reputable sites that sell lessons or online courses?

Our own dead forums have a YouTube thread that gets occassional traffic. You can see what people have found works... for them. It's really hard to say how much of it applies across the board, so you end up:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

mostly just throwing stuff at the screaming void and seeing what sticks.

My own example -- I have only a handful of videos out -- is that poo poo's unpredictable:

First video: Simpsons meme miniature that became much more involved than I thought it would -- 443 views
Second video: display case for some retro talking clocks -- 245 views
Third video: a wood sculpture -- 103 views
Fourth video: a short of a failed Die Hard Christmas ornament -- 2500 views

The amount of effort I put into making the sculpture video (both the build and the editing) vs. the short doesn't even begin to compare. And yet the short does 25x the traffic. poo poo's wild.

Granted, shorts are a different beast altogether, and my videos are just of things I found interesting to make vs. trying to carve out a specific niche. But I do agree with what TMA said: I doubt there's a conclusive approach anyone can point to.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The fountain pen thread is here for ??? reasons.

(I don't participate in it, just remembered it was weirdly in the Ask/Tell subforum, as I used it to stalk my Secret Santa victim a couple years back)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My instinct says vinyl cutter for the stencil but yeah, the door would definitely need to be as featureless as possible to make it not look distorted.