Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to practice drawing females more. I enjoy a more cartoony style, and I'm trying to work on faces, hair, noses and eyes. Any good resources for tips or advice for practice? I could also practice anatomy more.

I've been looking at how Doug TenNapel, Shiyoon Kim, Gris Grimly, and other artist I like from this Pinterest board draw them, and I've been trying sketches in different styles and anatomy studies, but I could use a lot more ideas, resources, or stylistic techniques to study.

Any and all help/resources would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ferrule posted:

Get any all the Andrew Loomis tutorials you can.

Go to figure drawing classes.

All those dudes you mentioned, and every other cartoonist out there will tell you this: you don't learn to draw "cartoony". Charles Shculz was an AMAZING artist. Portraits and all that. He took great drawing ability - and knowledge - then "dumbed" it down.

Speaking as a cartoonist I can tell you that you need to learn to draw "by the rules" (i.e. - traditional/non-cartoon/lifelike/whatever) before you create/adapt/develop a cartoon style where you "bend the rules".

Just because something has big eyes or 3 fingers doesn't mean that rules like proportion, spacing, bending, etc no longer exist. Take your time and study drawing real life. Then, adapt those lessons to suit your style.

Thanks. I started reading Figure Drawing for All It's Worth last night after your post and found some other Loomis books on .PDF. I also have some Hogarth books to look through and study.

My work schedule doesn't allow for any figure drawing classes, and the venue options are limited in my city anyway. Any other good websites like QuickPoses and PoseManiacs for nude models for me to work from?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I keep a portable dry watercolor set with me for painting in my sketchbooks. I'm trying to work on larger pieces at home, broadening my skill sets, giving myself more room to play on the paper.

I bought a set of liquid watercolor paints to use at home. I've never used them. I know the best way to learn is to just play with them, but I don't want to waste them all or ruin the paintings in the process.

Any advice or resources, things I should keep in mind?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

This seems like the most likely place to ask this, but is it worth investing more to get a better pen? Or are they all basically the same? I don't mean specifically for art or anything particularly creative, but I figured you guys would be the most knowledgeable about such hardware.

My pens never seem to work long, and I'm getting slightly frustrated. Is a $35 pen more likely to work longer than a cheapy one? Or should I just buy a bunch of cheap ones with the same money? Since I'm left-handed, I do more pushing than pulling when writing, so I guess that really affects things.

Sorry if you guys don't know or if I'm asking the wrong people.

If you're just concerned about it running out of ink/drying up quickly, may I interest you in the Seven Year Pen?

It writes well, the ink is good, and I always lose mine before it runs out. I used it for basic writing and quick fun sketches.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Any good tutorials or resources for working with gouache?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ghostter posted:

i want to start sketching again like i did when i was a kid so i went on amazon and bought a big and a small sketch book plus a 21pc essentials sketching kit. i'm really bad. is there a recommended tutorial/textbook for an absolute beginner? i don't even know what half the pencils/stick things are or how to hold them properly :/

This Proko series/playlist will review the basics and you should probably read Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain and maybe it's workbook.

Get newspaper print paper pads, or whatever cheap pads you can get, or a really cheap sketchbook that means nothing to you and go out and draw things. Draw people, draw plants, draw animals, draw buildings, draw whatever. Fill the paperpads, fill your crappy sketchbook, don't judge your old drawings, and when you feel yourself enjoying the act of drawing, embrace that feeling, because it's more important than the feeling you get from looking at your sketches and realizing you're not Da Vinci.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What does Guillermo Del Toro use to color his illustrations?

I thought it was watercolor, or maybe gouache, but now I think he just uses markers? Not a lot of interviews about what supplies he uses or anything, other than using a nib pen for line work with MONTBLANC ink.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thank you!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What do I need to know for purchasing and painting on wood panels? I use acrylics.

I was just going to go to Michael's or Joanne's.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JuniperCake posted:

You could probably find cheaper wood at the hardware store to paint on. Or maybe one of those wood supply shops, there are a few around here that have nice sales on panels every now and then. You'll probably want it decently thick, sometimes thin panels can warp especially if you live in a high humidity kind of place.

Painting acrylic on wood is pretty straight forward. You don't have to worry about the paint not adhering to or degrading the wood and you don't even need to prime if you don't want to. Gesso is pretty much white acrylic anyways. If you don't prime, the wood will suck up some paint but it's nothing additional layers won't fix.

Though if you want you could prime with a layer of a single color and then work on that to make sure you have good coverage. That's a good idea if you don't want the wood grain to peek through in areas (but some people love that effect). Also if the wood has any defects (like depressions) you might try to cover those up by gesso'ing and sanding the entire panel down a few times. That can be very time consuming though be warned.

Though if you don't care about the defects or you buy a piece of wood that is perfectly smooth then you don't have to worry about that at all. Nice thing about expensive "art panels" from craft stores is usually they'll be pretty smooth and thick but they will overcharge you by a lot for that.

But long story short, unlike oil paint, there aren't really many special considerations for acrylic on wood. So experiment and have fun with it.

Cool, thank you so much. I'll drop by the hardware store tomorrow.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what's proper, but I personally think the 2nd one looks more balanced.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Any good resources on improving composition in drawings and paintings?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What are some good watercolor pencils that won't break the bank?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

What's a basic starter kit for starting out with doodling, sketching, and drawing?

Mainly the pencils, perhaps the paper.

Be great if it's available in EU/Amazon UK.

These are affordable and give you some variety. I'd find a set similar to it. No need buying super expensive pencils if you're just trying to practice and experiment. If you can find one with a few different erasers, that'd be good too. Here's another set with more to offer, but if you get a intimidated by too many choices, stick with an amount of supplies that will entice you instead of intimidate you.

For paper, you can just use newsprint paper (get a lot for very cheap), printer paper, a sketchpad, or a sketchbook. I'd recommend a little bit of each: printer/newsprint for practice sketches or just random work, a sketchpad for "proper practice" or for more "serious" pieces (if you have any interest in maybe using pens, markers, ink, etc, I'd get a thicker paper quality), and a sketchbook (to make you more conscious about your intent and wanting to "perfect" the finished project, but also learning that sketchbooks aren't holy and should be filled with whatever you want).

If you want to spend a little more on sketchbooks, I've used this brand of sketchbook for my last three and I love them (they come in various sizes and colors). Might be a little more expensive in the UK.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Are you supposed to do one drawing for one page, or do they also work for double-paged sketching?

For the sketchbooks? It pretty much depends on what you want to do and the quality of paper. The ones that I use are pretty good about handing pencil, ink, watercolor, gouache, etc. on either side of the page, the only thing that bleeds through are markers and sharpies (which I don't use often). You're safe to draw as much as you want on any of the sketchbooks, you just may want to get some fixative to spray the paper when you're done so nothing smears (especially charcoal).

I do anything from one idea for a project/scene/sketch, like Radio du Cambodge's pencil sketch from the Daily Drawing thread

to just filling up the pages with different ideas like a collage like these posts by Carotid in the traditional art thread: :nws:

Carotid posted:

Another intuitive painting, haven't done one of these in a while.

(these were done in ink and watercolor instead of pencil, but you get the idea of intuitive drawing)

Didn't post my own art since I'm at work and my sketchbook doesn't have much pencil work right now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have recommendations for sumi brushes? I'm not going to break the bank for a set. It'd be mainly used for india ink, watercolors, and maybe gouache. These are the two sets I'm looking at:

MasterChinese Fine Chinese Calligraphy / Sumi Drawing / Kanji Brush Set (Goat Hair, Jian Hair, Wolf Hair) - Medium

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GNLKHZI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2P5RLDCD4J4ZQ&colid=26CQ65HSQHEJ3

I'm open to other suggestions, but I'd prefer to buy it through Amazon (doesn't have to be Prime if it's worth the wait).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

When you have a character who responds to something in a "Really?" tone of voice, what kind of tone is that called?

If you're looking for an adverb or something, just don't. Keep it with "He said/she said/ they said" or "he asked/ she asked/ they asked.

If you can't think of the right adverb to use, don't use the adverb. Push to have it work contextually, not because you explain it.

Some advice on using adverbs and writing dialogue.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm the type of person that would buy some crazy rear end camera and have it sit on my dresser forever and use it once a year. I've always wanted to get into photography but I don't know what I'd do with it. It'd be neat to take a class though just to learn how to take a decent picture.

I have a lot of outdoor hobbies I'd like to pursue, it's just hard finding others to do them with me. I've been using meetup with very limited success. Plus winter is coming here soon and that really changes things. Then it's basically x-country skiing since it's flat here, snowshoeing which I enjoy and have my own shoes, ice fishing, and getting frost bite. I'm sure there's other stuff I don't know of that people do here.

I'm sort of looking for something I can do at home while sitting around. I picked up a $10 7" x 5" counted cross stitch thing of two wolves from Michael's yesterday. I plan on doing that at night when there's nothing going on.

Maybe you'd like woodcarved paintings/ink. Pick a design, get a block of wood, some cheap wood tools (at most art supploes shops, Target, etc.), and then you can do some quick prints of anything. So you can have your cool celtic designs, but it relies more on carving/hand work than the dexterity that comes with drawing or painting, and it's easy to make multiple copies for practice or gifts, etc.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I bought some needles and thread earlier today. The woman there game me some patterns for scarves which I don't know how to read yet. I signed up for that Ravelry site so I'll have to see what that's all about.

Don't forget to post your progress for advice and encouragement!

Do we have a thread for threadwork? Traditional thread, maybe?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What's a good pen/stylus. It'd be for an iPad, probably ProCreate since it sounds so good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Skeleton King posted:

What do you do if you want to learn how to draw? I don't think practicing is enough to learn when I don't know the basics or anything. Is there techniques that make it easier to draw well? All I know is that no matter how much I practice my stuff is still garbage. I can't do perspective, posing, anatomical accuracy, lighting, or anything unless I trace it and even then it still looks like poo poo. I try looking for guides online, but those don't help at all. I'm assuming that I have to go to an actual class in order to learn.

I've asked people this before, but I never get a good answer. Practice isn't enough if I don't know what to practice.

I'd say take a trip to the library and pick up
Learn to Draw in 30 Days. It has different exercises to do every day for 30 days, and they're all based on the basic fundamentals.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is the Gold Standard and will help you tremendously

Look up Proko on YouTube and watch the (free!) series on basic drawing skills.

Draw anything/everything around you, don't be afraid to draw badly, because every mistake is a chance to learn. It's an artform based on learning from failure, bud.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Simone Poodoin posted:

What's a recommended book/system to learn to draw for absolute beginners?

Franchescanado posted:

I'd say take a trip to the library and pick up
Learn to Draw in 30 Days. It has different exercises to do every day for 30 days, and they're all based on the basic fundamentals.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is the Gold Standard and will help you tremendously

Look up Proko on YouTube and watch the (free!) series on basic drawing skills.

Draw anything/everything around you, don't be afraid to draw badly, because every mistake is a chance to learn. It's an artform based on learning from failure, bud.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

Favorite pocket-sized sketchbook for ink and marker? I used to use moleskine but they changed the paper and it sorta blows.

Global Arts series. I pretty much swear by them. I use watercolors, ink, gouache, pencil, etc. Comes with a handy little plastic slip so you can pocket some notes or business cards and stuff. The covers are pretty easy to paint (or glue) if you don't like the plain color design.

edit: Doesn't work too well with Sharpies, especially if you have a heavy hand, but I haven't had issues with other markers.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 29, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

Thanks for the rec. I got one and I wouldn't say it's as good as the old moleskines, but it's definitely better than the new ones.

Glad you're enjoying it. Once you fill that one up, maybe try this one. It may be closer to the older moleskines paper.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thursday Next posted:

Anyone have ideas for a sort of “free your brain” exercise for oil painting?

I just started painting, and I apparently paint like I draw: precisely with outlines. It does not lend itself to oil paints. I’m making bob Ross after bob Ross here.

When I was doing figure drawing, my teacher had us do gesture drawings and minute poses. She also had us tie the pencil to a stick so we HAD to stand back and give up control. I hated these exercises but they taught me so much.

Anything similar for oils?

Maybe switch to acrylics for the time being, since they dry much faster and allow for more spontaneity.

For some exercises:

-Get a large canvas (or wood panel) that you're comfortable with (and can afford). Get everything set up for painting. Set up some speakers or put on some headphones, pick an album you really like, something that really gets your emotions flaring and start listening to it. Start painting. Paint the colors that the song inspires in you, or any images that you see. Try to paint with colors and shading instead of hard edges. As the songs shift--and presumably your mood--shift your concentration on painting those ideas.

-Purchase some "canvas paper", a sketch tote board, and some painting tape. Take your paint set outside and do some still life exercises, using the paint directly instead of using any pre-sketches.

-Try painting like Yayoi Kusama

-Try painting like William de Kooning

-Since you like the Bob Ross thing, maybe try to follow along with an episode of Forger's Masterclass, which is basically "competitive" Bob Ross. Easy episodes to try and emulate are Edward Hopper, Van Gogh, and Claude Monet (which would really help with the still life exercise I mentioned earlier)

Having a drink or two to loosen up is well and good--I like to sip on something when I paint--but I don't know if it's healthy advice. There are ways to loosen up without alcohol, and those are what you should be attempting, so as not to be reliant on it as a way of pursuing creativity.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thursday Next posted:

This is fantastic advice, thank you so much. I feel like a blind woman groping for a power outlet - I just didn’t know where to start. But now I have an idea at least and I can start there.

For what it’s worth, I don’t know if I like The Bob Aesthetic - but when I paint, he is literally the only how-to reference I have (I have seen many paintings but I don’t know how they were made). I used to draw, and still paint, like the engineer I was: this is the outline, this is the color. Bob Ross is that way; it looks “nice” in a hotel-art kind of way. It’s just that when I try to ~free my mind~ I get a mush of brown.

Gonna take your advice, though, all of it. And I’ll take pictures of each bad canvasboard (?) I ruin. I enjoy this hobby. And I shouldn’t look a gift horse of ~$1800 of old oils in the face.

Thank you goon.

Edit: few more quick questions that are likely stupid, but that’s what this thread is for!

Will my brushes (cheapest not-watercolor poo poo I could buy) work with acrylics?
Can I use the same brush for acrylics as I would for oils?
Does canvasboard work with acrylics? Do I need to prep it any way?

Yes, your brushes should work. Most brushes that work with oil work with acrylic and vice versa, unless they specify specifically. But dog nougat is right. As you grow in your hobby, I would recommend rewarding yourself with better brushes, as well as mediums. My favorite part of painting is how many different results I can get just by experimenting with brushes and mediums and anything else that catches my eye in an art store.

You're good to go immediately with acrylics, on canvas boards or paper or wood, or anything. You can prime the surface with gesso or a plain layer of acrylic if you'd like, but it's up to taste. (I like to paint textures so I usually do a thick layer of a color I like to start it off and get rid of all that white, and it gets me painting before I think about what I'm going to paint.) Acrylics dry much faster than oils, and but they're very similar. Find an affordable starting set within your price range, and consider it your practice/experimental set and just try stuff out. Joann's and Michael's always have sales for canvases and canvas paper

If you want some exercises to learn different techniques, you can check your library or order this book I've recommended a few times.

I only started painting about four years ago. I have a long way to go, but I love it and people like what I paint. Have fun, experiment, be curious, scour books or the internet for different ideas or techniques, start looking for paintings you like and artists you like and see if you can find out how they paint, use different size canvas paper if you get intimidated by experimenting on canvas, ask questions in this thread. It's a wonderful art form as long as you're just curious and willing to experiment and make mistakes. The more you paint, the more you'll be satisfied by your painting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

drat. That's not quite the image I was looking for but holy poo poo the message is on point.

You may just want to google "Amazing Panoramic Shots" and see what clicks for you, and then have it made into a poster at your local office supplies store, like Staples. That way you don't have some photoshopped monstrosity and can get the size you like.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a good suggestion for fine point ink pens with a water-proof ink? I use them with my watercolor illustrations. I usually use Sakura Pigma Micron pens, and I'm mostly happy with them, but they bleed slightly.

I've tried Prismacolor's Illustration Markers, and they bleed terribly.

Any suggestions on brands or specific pen types to try?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pixelante posted:

Finally, one I can answer! I had all this crap on my desk from last night doing similar work, so I ran a quick test of what was in reach. They all did pretty well except for the Kuretake Zig brush I threw in for lols. I love Copic stuff, but I'll admit that their liner is more of a dark warm grey compared to the Microperm and Molotow.

Would love to see what you're doing with ink and watercolour, by the way.

This is excellent! Thank you! I'm currently at work, so I don't have any of my watercolor/ink work available to share, but I'll try and post some stuff tonight/tomorrow and will give you a heads up.

lofi posted:

I'm a fan of uni-pin fineliners, pretty cheap and totally bleedproof as far as I've seen. I prefer them to the copic ones, personally.

I'll also experiment with these. Thank you!

I'm still open to other suggestions. I'm stocking up on new pens and ready to experiment with new-to-me brands.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gmc9987 posted:

It goes into those subjects tangentially, but if you also plan on learning more about the mechanical side of animation you'll probably want to find an additional book on that.

I would love recommendations for this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xun posted:

Anyone know some good landscape painting lessons/tutorials I could check out? My landscapes are abysmal and I'd like to have some guidance. I'd prefer watercolors or digital as a medium

Watercolors by Shibasaki, my dude.

He's basically a Japanese Bob Ross with watercolors. He has a playlist for Beginners, advanced instructional videos and also chill visual videos.

Also check out James Gurney's videos. He does mostly landscapes, and he uses watercolors and gouache. Lots of good info there.

Besides that, make a portable painting kit and go out and do some en plein air practice paintings.

Star Man posted:

Watercolors can feel like painting by numbers or a coloring book, but still work from back to front. It's an additive medium and unlike acrylics and oils, it's more difficult to just paint over something to erase it.

Some watercolor artists like to keep their pencil outlines visible. If not, just keep two or three watercolor pencils with you. I typically keep a light blue, a red or violet, and a green with me, that way I can also map out warm spots or cool spots. The green is for plants or any vegetation.

edit:

I outlined this with a GoldFaber Aqua #147 (light blue) for the basic shapes and plants and then I did all the details with GoldFaber Aqua #125 (middle purple pink). There are spots where some of the 125 is still visible, but I like the way it defines some of the edges that otherwise would be lost (like in the stone steps).

As for the difficulty in painting over things, you're right. That's much easier with gouache.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 8, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to add some pastels to my tools.

What's a good starter for oil pastels and soft pastels? I'm open to a kit, or I can buy a individual colors from a good brand.

I'm looking for good quality but I'm not buying top shelf stuff that'll break the bank.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Watercolors bear a lot of similarities to oil and acrylic paints, but they also bear a lot of similarities to drawing with wet media. I took to watercolor because it feels a lot like drawing with a brush and ink. I also feel like I didn't know how to paint until I took a couple of watercolor classes for my studio art minor.

Just wanna add a quick thing to previous posts:

Don't skimp on watercolor paper!

You can get away with cheap brushes. You can get away with student-grade paints. But nothing can salvage a piece painted on bad paper.

And good paper is super affordable.

You'll find a brand you prefer, you'll find whether or not you'll like textured or smooth, you'll find if you prefer hot or cold press...That all comes with experimentation.

You'll see weight grades on notebooks and paper pads that look like this:

I won't use any paper of 100 lb or less with watercolor or gouache. It buckles, it's less absorbent, you won't be able to move the paint. The heavier the better. 140lb is my go-to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

What do you use that's so expensive?

I can get 12-24 paintings out of a $17 Arches Watercolor pad, a $11 Strathmore notebook will last me three months. I've never had issues with $8 pads from Canson if I wanna do larger pieces. Canson makes a spiral notebook with 140 lb watercolor paper that also makes a good travel book. And watercolor pads go on sale all the time at art supplies stores.

My local art supplies sells high quality watercolor paper in huge sizes for around $8 if I want to do something gigantic, or cut them down into a dozen smaller sheets.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What are these little glass/plastic tools I see Japanese artists using with their brushes? I can't find the name of them or where to get one.

https://twitter.com/djdabblin/status/1202001273702289409?s=20

It's like a guide with a ruler, as seen in the first few seconds of this video, and again 30 seconds in

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

Thanks. Drawabox looks like what I need to get started. As far as what I want to draw, I don't really know yet. I'm interested in a little of everything: characters, landscapes, still life, yada-yada.

Obligatory Drawing Basics video series by Proko.

Learning art is a never-ending journey. The best way to learn is to actually put in the time and draw/sketch/paint. You're going to (eventually) find the balance between practicing and pushing your skill sets, setting personal challenges, and drawing for fun.

It's good to be interested in a little of everything, too. It's good to be able to draw characters and landscapes and still-life. In a single day I'll work on figure drawings, faces, landscapes and still drawings. Same with mediums. I'll work with charcoal, and then watercolor, and then ink, and then acrylic. It's good to concentrate on something long enough to actually develop skills in it, but you shouldn't stifle curiosity and interest in other mediums or subjects.

For years I wanted to paint, but I was too intimidated to try it out. I was comfortable with pencil and ink; painting seemed too sophisticated and serious, and my attempts always sucked. Finally I said, gently caress it, I want to be a painter, lovely art be damned. And I made a lot of mistakes and made lackluster pieces, but I learned a whole new medium, which informed my entire art output, and made me a better artist. I wouldn't say I'm a great painter, but I absolutely love it, and I've been fortunate to sell a few pieces for surprising amounts of money.

Making art in any medium is rewarding. Just love the process of creating. Find an art piece you like, and research the artist. You can probably find interviews with them that are insightful, or maybe even videos of them and their process.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Capntastic posted:

The screenwriting thread is locked so I’ll drop this here, sorry:

Trying to use my shelter in place time wisely, so does anyone have any book or video course suggestions for screenwriting? I’ve been asked to look over spec scripts by friends a few times and having a better grasp of mechanics and what the people that toil through submissions want more and less of would be grand. Thanks in advance!

Story by Robert McKee. Dan O'Bannon's Guide to Screenplay Structure.

Do not read drivel like "Save the Cat" or "Write A Screenplay in 24 Hours/A Month/etc".

McKee is good, Dan O'Bannon's guide is good, Syd Field is good; beyond those three, I'd say just read screenplays of films you like, and then read a script or two of movies you haven't seen & then watch them to see how they translate the ideas. You'll learn more from reading screenplays and then writing your own rather than reading most guides.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have heard that a lot of pottery studios have now set up wheel rentals. Maybe reach out to your mom's studio and see if they're doing that. Supports local business, your mom gets a wheel, you probably save money in the long-run.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from Creative Chat thread, because I accidentally thought that was the Stupid Little Questions thread:

I'm trying to get motivated again and start up a website for my art. Portfolio and Shop, basically.

I would like the site to have a nice gallery view, which I can upload new pieces easily. Viewers could then click a piece for close-up, read some info about it, and a link to order a print.

I don't really need a blog, but I guess that's okay if it has that feature.

For examples of what I'd like to have: something like Scott C.'s website , Maja Wronska's site , and Jenny Kroik's site. I would just like a link for "Purchase" under the pictures, or something.

What website client is going to be simple, affordable and allow me the layout I like without too much hassle?

Thanks in advance to any advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thank you Trabant, kedo and Trapick. I made my artist's site with SquareSpace and it's been pretty good, with a forgiving learning curve. I appreciate it.