Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I think the thread title is pretty self-explanatory. Basically, ask any quick little questions you have here, be it about writing, painting, drawing, clam-digging, or any of the other creative pursuits. I'll start:

I recently received some chalkboard paint as a Christmas gift, and I'm looking to paint one of the walls of my apartment with it. Has anyone had any experience working with the stuff? I'm wondering if there's anything I should do differently than painting a wall with normal paint, and if there's any special considerations for removing it. I'm basically looking for some firsthand experience, as all the google searching seems to tell me the same general thing ("Use painting tape to make straight lines :downs:").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Defenestration posted:

I have a 4-page grid thing I made in indesign (cs4) to serve as my course calendar. How do I:
1. Shrink it so that it prints two formerly 8.5x11 sheets landscape on a single slice of paper?
2. Merge the resulting pdf it so that it is part of the word document which contains the rest of my boring syllabus boilerplate? (office 07)

many thanks, pixelistas!

One quick and dirty method:
1. Make a new single page document that's a little larger than 22 inches wide, so it can accommodate one calendar stacked next to another.
2. Stack the calendar's pages so it's in a 2x2 grid and then group it.
Shrink it down to 11x8.5 using your proportional scaling method of choice.
3. Make a new 11x8.5 document and copy it over. Export it as a PDF.
4. I haven't used Office in a while, but it should have some sort of import PDF option, probably under the edit menu somewhere. Failing that, you can make Office your bitch by taking your PDF, rasterizing it in Photoshop, and pasting it in as a bitmap.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

DjirtyZ posted:

Why is the implementation of the new search on SA so difficult?

It's really hard to conceptualize the term "search." What ideal shape does "search" take; its true, crystalline Platonic form hovering somewhere out there in the Supercontext? What does "search" mean to you? What does "search" mean to the greater community, and where do these two ideaforms collide?

On behalf of Creative Convention and the greater forums community, I apologize for not being able to solve this crucial first step and thus keeping "search" from manifesting into an electro-physical form.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

MrMISCHIEF posted:

How does Photoshop Phriday work, and is there a separate thread/forum for it?
I've searched, and aside from the finished shops on the main page, I can't find anything.
Thanks from a noob, please help me out because I'd really like to contribute.

There used to be stickied theme posts and this whole elaborate sub-forum thing, but now it's basically any quality Photoshop thread that has run its course will have submissions hand-picked and put up on the frontpage.

If you want to contribute, all you have to do is post!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Further clarification on the nudity issue: If you're concerned about nudity being an issue, it's probably an issue. A little warning in the title of the thread you make is great, as well as thumbnailing artistic nudes in a post of a thread that isn't yours (say one of the daily draw/paint/photo threads).

If, for whatever reason you want feedback on your explorative Godzilla action figure bukakae guro series, tag a text link with surrounding :nws: smilies and brace for shunning and ridicule.

Wooh posted:

Thanks. Guess I know who to use for hosting.
Adding a "t" before the "img" in the image vB code should also automatically convert it into a thumbnail, regardless of host. That being said, Waffleimages is pretty awesome.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Commissar Lord posted:

I have a Photoshop filters question, and it's entirely possible that this isn't doable.

Is there a simple way to make a photo look like an 18th century painting? Obviously, I know that a filter is basically just going to give a rough idea, and then it'll need touching up from there, but I haven't been able to find anything all that close.

I'm try to do something like a Trumbull painting, basically.
A lot of painting mimicry is done without filters. I'm assuming you want to create something that looks like this?

You can probably get a good way of the way there with hue and saturation adjustments, a texture overlay to suggest canvas texture, and some gradient shadowing. If you're going to use filters, keep them light, subtle, and minimal to keep it from looking too "filtery." I got some decent results with Noise/Dust and Scratches, but it's about playing around and finding what looks right.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Does anybody know of any good examples of a vertically-oriented CSS Sprite menu? Like what's discussed here, but rotated 90 degrees. Apparently, I'm an idiot when it comes to coding.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

troll for dollars posted:

I'm looking for a certain website. I thought I had gotten the link from the one of the stickies at the top of the forum, but can't seem to find the link again. It's a website with high quality images that be used for backgrounds, with catergories like clouds, buildings, bricks, sand, etc. etc. I'm just curious if this rings a bell with anyone.

Zen Textures?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
What's a good font management program for the PC? I'll need to be using one on Monday, and I haven't used a PC for design in years.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Is there a way to hide tables using the text-indent:-9999px image replacement trick? I just wrapped the table I want to hide into a div and it just layers the table over the image I'm replacing it with.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

gmc9987 posted:

Adobe InDesign or QuarkXpress are the two major ones. They do multipage layouts.

If you value your sanity, don't bother with QuarkXpress. Ugh, never again.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

terrorist plumber posted:

:words:

I have been asked before to gas threads from other CC posters who are either getting published or attempting to get published. I believe that gassed threads aren't indexed by google, and if you are paranoid, you can edit your story out beforehand (provided it hasn't been quoted in it's entirety). All you have to do is PM or email me, and be okay with your 15-minute auto-probation.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I don't know if I'm preaching to the choir or not, but this is an excellent book for anyone interested in making comics.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

jackpot posted:

I'm hosed, aren't I?

Probably, but it's worth at least trying to save it.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
What are your Color Settings set up as (Edit/Color Settings...)?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

kalibar posted:

I'm hoping to con my girlfriend into drawing some super-basic cartoon-like illustrations for a blog. She's not an advanced artist or anything, but I'm a fan of her pencil doodles and would like to get them onto a computer, cleaned up, and colored in. I got her a Wacom Bamboo tablet awhile ago, but she doesn't really like working with it -- she prefers pencil on paper.

I'm wondering what the best way is to have her make a drawing on paper and for me to scan it in and get it looking nice as a PNG or GIF. Maybe tracing is where I need to start, although when I googled "trace pencil drawing" the instructions I found sounded pretty labor intensive. We'd need to pick up a scanner, so a cost-effective recommendation for that would be appreciated.

I've got Photoshop, but maybe this is the kind of thing that would be better-suited for Adobe Ilustrator? Thanks in advance for any help, I'm sure I'm wording this like a retard and/or making dumb assumptions.

Scan the drawing and use Level/Curve adjustments in Photoshop to remove the paper texture and pen "dirt" to give you a clean black on white image. Here's a pretty good beginning tutorial.

If you want to get incredibly OCD about it, you could port the cleaned up lineart to Illustrator and then play around with either tracing it with the Pen or Autotrace tool, but that might be overkill for something as small as a blog image, especially if she doesn't like drawing digitally.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

No. 9 posted:

Is there something like FontBook for Windows?

I should really just invest in a Mac :smith:

Suitcase is about as good as you'll get on the PC. On a whole, I think Macs are far better at handling fonts, though.

Greggster posted:

So... How many pixel artists are there in the Creative Convention? I know Internet Janitor is atleast an MS Paint artist, but are there any 'true' pixel artists?

What's your criteria for a "true" pixel artist? Background artist for Metal Slug 2?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

No. 9 posted:

Is there a general Illustrator/Photoshop thread?

Not really, but you're welcome to create one!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Brady posted:

Edit- Oh hey look, an "add noise" filter. Brady you're fuckin' dumb.

When I was dabbling in making Minecraft skins for me and my buds, I found it really useful to turn each piece of the skin (head, arms, etc.) into Smart Objects after I got them looking good. That way I could apply the Add Noise filter to the consolidated Smart Object layer and non-destructively tweak it until it looked just right.

Also smooth textures look way better.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

edit: How do I put images as thumbnails?

Use the [timg] and [/timg] tags instead of [img] and [/img].

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

MiketheGreat posted:

Do you know if saving to a cloud (like Dropbox) might automatically do something like this?

I can't speak to other services, but Dropbox versions anything you save to it. I can't really recommend using it - working with PSDs and other large files over the cloud is pretty troublesome.

I've also been using the Save As v0X system Travakian mentioned for years now, and I can't count the number of times it's saved my bacon. About every major revision/milestone is when I version out (a little more or a little less, project depending). If you're on a Mac, I'm also a really big fan of Arq for this sort of thing. There's a high initial setup cost, but daily offsite backup that you don't have to bother with is absolutely priceless.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Haha fair enough. There's nothing in particular I need help with in Photoshop right now, I just do design work in Photoshop all the time and thought it would be cool to discuss techniques and stuff. Maybe I'll make a thread sometime if there is interest in it.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of that subforum, but it was probably one of the most least active in all of SA. If you want, definitely feel free to start a general Photoshop discussion thread, though. I think there'd be enough interest to make it work in a sort of single-source "megathread" format.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Can anyone suggest how to lay out a page for writing a book best in word? I mean I just psychologically hate looking at 8.5 x 11 and feeling like I'm writing an essay etc.

Try WriteRoom or Q10.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
This is a thing:
http://billable.me/

This isn't legally binding, etc.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Pepsi-Tan posted:

is line drawing take seriously as an artform?
i.e. http://i.imgur.com/2m0xM.jpg
could i take this anywhere, possibly abstract art?

You could if you start using the Shift key.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Hate to double post, but I have a perhaps easier to answer question: Is there any good method or plugin for Photoshop and/or Illustrator that lets me group and organize my fonts? Like, say I want to put all my scripts next to each other, all my slab serifs next to each other, etc.

I'm not aware of a way to do this in Adobe apps (great idea, though), but it's something you can set up with font managers such as Suitcase and FontExplorer.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Mescal posted:

Is there an easy way to edit PDFs in indesign or illustrator cs4?

Probably not in the way you're thinking. PDFs are the last step in the design process, and are intended to be used for printing and distribution. Photoshop has the ability to rasterize PDFs as a flat image on a page-by-page basis, and Illustrator can open them and manipulate the "compressed" vector objects, but not always in an intuitive way. InDesign simply cannot open PDF files. You can, however, place a PDF as an art object into a InDesign document, and them compose over that.

quote:

Is there a graphic design megathread to ask for critiques on a poster or should I make a thread?

Nope, but I definitely wouldn't seeing one :)

quote:

Is there a good free online class/tutorial that would help me with my layout skills? I'm good at working with images and type, but whenever I make a poster/flyer design from scratch I'm not happy with the layout.

You're probably going to want to read up on composing (and adhering) to grid systems. Here's a couple of articles I found with a quick Google:
http://designinformer.com/2010/grid-based-web-design-simplified/
http://www.markboulton.co.uk/journal/comments/five-simple-steps-to-designing-grid-systems-part-1

I'm sure you could find a lot more now that you know the right keyword. And if you're really interested and willing to spend a little cash, books like these are invaluable resources:
http://amzn.com/1592531253
http://amzn.com/1568984650
http://amzn.com/1568984650

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Defenestration posted:

IANAL

Worst acronym ever.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Ramivacation posted:

So, what the hell would a lead musket ball do upon hitting an old, decrepit stone and mortar wall?

Interesting question! You'll probably get a far more accurate answer (and a way more knowledgeable userbase) if you try asking it in TFR's General Questions thread.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
It's also great for icon work.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I'm really and honestly trying to think of a scenario where you need to cram study for figure drawing.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

:words:

That actually makes sense. Best of luck!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

humanROBOT posted:

Hi, friends! Type question.

I've become more interested in experimenting with small ligatures/glyphs of particles, small words like "the", "of", "by", etc .. but I'm woefully inept at finding them, and typefaces that might include them.

I know that some people will just make their own, but does anyone know of any typefaces in specific that would have them, or any search terms that might yield me tangible results?

Things like this, but in more flowery, fluid styles and usually in a sort of upward arc shape

[also, if I've hit the wrong thread, feel free to make a mockery of me & point me in the right direction, thanks!]

Are you talking about actual common words included as a specialized glyph/ligature? I don't think there's a searchable database where you can find that sort of thing.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

raging bullwinkle posted:

They're called catchwords.

Oh awesome, I never knew this!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
300 DPI is standard resolution for print, so you can drop that down to a much more manageable ~6000x1,8000px from the get-go.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

HardCoil posted:

A related question: I have to produce a cover image for a scientific journal. They want the image to be in CMYK. No further info is given, so how do I make the image as vibrant as possible?

Make sure you're using a CYMK color mode in the program you're using to create your cover, then cherrypick strong, bright colors from the CMYK color gamut:

It also helps to play around with color combinations. Certain colors with vibrate far stronger than others when placed next to each other. Also, always, always, always ask for proofs from the press directly being used to print before you release for publication.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

HardCoil posted:

So I think what I'm asking is how to convert that RGB image to a CMYK in a manner that retains as much of the colour as possible. Isn't the conversion done with a profile that controls which of the RGB colours should go into the CMYK image?

Render the image from Tachyon, then open it in your image editor of choice. Contact the printer and ask them for a printer profile, then apply the color profile to the image (in Photoshop: Edit > Assign Profile).

What you're thinking about conversion is true; a profile essentially is a mathematical description of what range of colors are allowed to be contained in image data. Applying a conversion is done by the program, which decides exactly how colors outside of the space should translated into acceptable colors.

Regardless of whether or not the printer can supply a profile, you'll probably want to tweak the image once it's in the CMYK gamut. This means making adjustments to pixel data itself, in that you'll be doing things like fiddling with curves, levels, contrast, and saturation to get that "pop" you desire.

This is actually a pretty interesting and sorta commonplace problem that doesn't really get dealt with that often here. If you want, you're more than welcome to post a thread about it and I'm sure people would help you work through the particulars. There's also some other design-y stuff you should be doing, like keeping image separate from headline type, and layering it in a layout program such as InDesign.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Ferrule posted:

My silly creative director built some of his files all in Photoshop (me - I made my poo poo into smart objects so I can edit in Illustrator). They contain live text layers. How do I gather those fonts from the PS file so the next user has them?

I don't think there's an automated way to collect fonts from a stock copy of Photoshop, meaning you have to open each PSD (and all of its respective Smart Objects), click on each piece of type to see what it is, and then manually copy the fonts from your OS's font folder to a folder for collected output resources.

If you're using FontExplorer, it has a Detect Fonts in Document feature that may or may not work, I've never tried it for PSDs (or for a PSD's Smart Objects, for that matter). If you've got the cash, it also looks like there's this plugin, although I have no idea about it's quality or compatibility.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

More generally about this board- what would be the best way to put up a short audio theater script? Has anyone tried that here?

We've had scripts posted here before. Follow the rules to figure out if it warrants a new thread or not, and how to format everything. I can't speak for others, but I don't get how people can READ DIALOGUE WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS, so you might have to convert it if you're writing it in a screenwriting app that formats it retardo-Hollywood style for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Albright posted:

Where do you get the photos for specific big brand products that a client may want in their ad? Say you are making an ad for an authorized Ford car dealership, and the dealership (client) wants a photo of a new black Ford Focus in the ad.

Not so sure for every industry, but a lot of the larger car brands (Ford, Toyota, etc.) have sites set up where you can download high-resolution photos of their newer-model vehicles, usually in a variety of file formats and pre-masked. A lot of the stuff that hits Google Images is usually this stuff saved down and spread out across the internet.

In fact, a lot of larger brands have very specific stipulations on how things like their logo and products can be displayed. I'm sure every company is different, but it's worth contacting them if you think it will be an issue.