Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.
I'm desinging a business card at 400 dpi, and I'm having a hell of a time getting the black text (8 point) to not look smudged or as if the color bled due to PS's anti-aliasing when I actually print it out. I just got back from Kinko's with a mock-up printed on card stock in each of smooth/strong/crisp/sharp and they all look terrible in black. Non-anti-aliasing looks even worse, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I have text in dark green and gray as well and that looks fine. Oh, the font is Franklin Gothic Medium Condensed, if that helps. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.

plaguedoctor posted:

With text, you really should be using Illustrator or some other vector based program. Photoshop will output a raster image, which might be the cause of the color bleed you are talking about.

Also, check what color you are actually using. I don't know what kind of printers Kinkos has, but check with them and see what inks they use. For very small graphics or text, you want it to use only one ink. In process printing (CMYK), most text will use 100% K and no other inks. Except, Photoshop does wierd things with blacks -- often, R0G0B0 is black in Photoshop but ends up as C45M32Y34K100 or some other odd combination of colors.

It's for gotprint.com so I'm actually already working in CMYK. I never really thought about the ink blending like that though - is that really a problem when inks get blended like that, or is it more for RGB->CMYK conversions? The green looks fine on the mock-up I printed. I'll go give Illustrator a run in the lab and see how things come out, though. I didn't consider the raster image part of it, that's a good point and goes into this:

gmc9987 posted:

Are you flattening and rasterizing the image before you give it to Kinko's? Try giving Kinko's the un-flattened document and see if that makes a difference.

I am, yes - I wasn't sure if Kinko's could print directly from a .psd so they've all been flattened .pngs so far. The business card site will print from a .psd however, so if that's all it is then maybe I'm already set. I'll have to get a printer set up somewhere in here to test.

EDIT: It was the flattening/rasterizing that was doing it. Managed to print directly from the .psd and it looks great. Thanks guys!

zynga dot com fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 6, 2009