Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Quantify! posted:

In order of preference, use a scanner, use a real camera, use anything else and accept that it will look like poo poo.

Unfortunately all my classwork has to be at least 18x24 so I can't scan it in unless someone invites me to the Xerox plant and I get to use some sort of amazing large scale scanner.

You seem to be banned maybe, but Kinkos and other print places often have large-scale scanners or feed scanners for large format pieces. It's not as cheap as regular scanning, but available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm interested in acquiring and playing with a Super 8 or 8mm video camera, but I know little to nothing about such things. Is this a reasonable goal? What total amount of equipment would I need to shoot, process, and watch the film and how much would this cost? What equipment should I look for/where would be a reputable place to find it? Should I abandon all hope?

Edit: I guess I'm mostly interested in getting video that has that "70s look" to it, so I'm open to any working tech that would be relatively cheap that would accomplish that...

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 25, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Locus posted:

This might be the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone know of a good site for jewelry/clothing decoration supplies? I'm looking for one that carries more "raw"/earlier stage supplies, rather than fancy decorate beads, pre-made stuff, etc.

I'm looking for some metal hexagons, sort of like this, but not squashed (identical length sides), more precisely manufactured, and sharply beveled to decorate a belt or piece of clothing with.

Depending on what you wanted them for/how big they are/how many there are/what materials you wanted, you could have some modeled to spec and 3d printed at a place like Shapeways. http://www.shapeways.com/

They can print in stainless steel for $8 per cubic centimeter or sterling silver for $20. I could model some out for you if you wished.

Edit: If you don't find them elsewhere, that is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

whereismyshoe posted:

You can get super 8 cameras for really cheap if you frequent thrift / antique stores and the like. That's really all I know, other than the fact that i doubt there's many places that process super 8 these days so you might have to process it yourself which can get expensive. you might be better off just shooting with a cheap minidv and running it through some effects in after effects.

Good call. Thanks!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

raging bullwinkle posted:

You know how traditional animators often insert themselves into their animations? They might, you know, erase a door, and now Daffy Duck is trapped. That sort of thing.

My question is, are there any directors who do this in their films? Or is this solely a traditional animation phenomenon?

This is largely an animation phenomenon. It comes from early animation when it was largely a stage thing. I forget the exact terms, but the performer would appear on a literal stage (this is pre-film) next to a chalk board or pad of paper and draw the animation out. For example, he might draw a man's face looking bored, then draw an attractive woman's face next to it, then erase the man's bored face and redraw an excited one looking at the woman, then erase the woman's pupils and redraw them looking towards the man and add angry eyebrows, etc etc. This would create a performance. As film arrived and grew in popularity, the earliest animated films usually started out as live action footage with the animator declaring his intentions to make a film, or (as is the case with Gertie the Dinosaur, receiving a challenge to animate a certain number of drawings and placing a bet with his fellow artists). The film would then show him drawing in his studio, and then it would translate into the animation he was drawing.

This insertion of the artist into the work gradually tapered off as animation began to stand on its own legs as an art form and style of film. Later animations would start out with the artist at his desk drawing before switching to the film, and later, just a pencil drawing out the first frame before playing the animation etc. It's this legacy that toons such as Duck Amuck are lampooning when the almighty disembodied Hand of the Artist comes in and makes changes.

As far as if this has ever occured in live action film, I don't know. It sounds like something Monty Python might do ala Holy Grail's ending or some such. There are instances of a director yelling cut in the middle of a scene and participating, such as the opening scene in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, etc. Not sure.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've loved my 4 and I don't really get the complaints. Yeah, the tablet is textured weird, but I got over that after a day, and it comes with more nibs than you'll be able to use in a few months anyway.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

neonnoodle posted:

I guess with the I4 they changed the plastic of the tablet surface to one which wears the nibs down faster. However, in the new driver, you finally get back the ability to set the pressure curve threshold, so if you want to only apply Xg of force to achieve 100% pressure, you can set that to as soft as you want and it helps keep nib wear to a minimum.

Yeah, the I4's were just straight up more textured so the stock nibs wear down quicker. The stylus holder has extra nibs in it, though, and nibs are pretty cheap. Seriously, the only complaints I've heard about the I4 line is the texture on the tab, and that really isn't worth the ire some people spout about it.

JamSessionEin posted:

So I've got a question since I don't hit this forum much: Is there anywhere I can reasonably ask for help with a rough concept that isn't a drawing or even a real thing? I'm working on something in Minecraft, of all things, and I know from past experience I have a much easier time building with a clear image in my head. Usually I'll sit down with a tablet and butcher something out until I have a rough idea of what I want to do, but I am having trouble doing even that right now - I start drawing, and then when I reach the point where I need to pin specifics down my brain goes dark. I'm trying to figure out the general layout and aesthetic of a place I'm trying to build ingame, and I kind've wanted to solicit ideas / doodles / whatever I could get to see if that could get the ball rolling again for me, but I don't know if there's anywhere here that'd be an appropriate venue to talk about this. I don't want to get shot out of a cannon. :(

This sounds like something so simple and casual you could ask anyone in the daily drawings thread. Hell, I'll throw down some designs for you in my spare time, if you'd like.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kerfuffle posted:

Help help help. :ohdear:

I am down to one page in my sketchbook. I love this sketchbook. But it doesn't seem to be made anymore. I've persued all options, and can't find it anywhere.

So. I'm trying to find a replacement and I'm taking suggestions.

Must:

Have white acid free paper
Have a bit of grit to the paper (I dislike moleskin smoothness)
Be 8.5"x11" to 9"x12"
Be hardbound

Go to wacom's website and redownload/update every single possible driver. Sometimes you just need to restart too but I'm sure you've tried that already.

I got pissed at my local art store's poo poo sketchbook selection so I went to Etsy and found a guy who sells handmade ones to the exact specs I was looking for, hand-bound in leather, for less money. Maybe browse there for a while?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Can you insert points along the spline? Then you could put 2 new points right next to the end points and then fuse or merge the end points.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

kedo posted:

That's handy for practice studies, but I'm also looking for a resource that has a whole bunch of searchable poses (if such a thing exists).

Or should I just get one of those little wooden pose models or something?

If you go the "buy a model" route, you'd be better off getting a decent high-quality action figure than one of those god awful wooden models.

Figmas are cool, or any high quality 1/6th scale figure like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Toys-Figure-figurine-Caucasian/dp/B004WN7CQ6/ref=pd_sim_t_7 except don't pay that much, Google for better prices.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nayt posted:

Yea, I have talked to some people in SA Mart. I'm not against paying people, I actually plan on it. I wasn't asking for multiple people's hours of work for free....just a domain name idea.

Example? I don't know the lingo I guess.

[e] Found this: http://www.nospec.com/ I guess this is what you're referring too.

That's fine, just recognize that what you're asking for is essentially a branding consultant and there are entire respected firms devoted to that industry. I'm not saying you need to hire the same firm that named the iPod and the Nintendo Wii or anything, just a heads up that if you want ideas, especially in this forum, you should post in the Freelance thread with your budget and such.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Woodsy Owl posted:

I have a friend that is opening a bar but desperately needs fresh ideas for the design and decoration of the interior. Is there a thread about interior design here on the forums? Would an SA Mart thread be appropriate?

Are there any goon recommended sites for design inspiration that she could benefit from?

I think it should be themed after the tv sitcom "Dinosaurs".

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You should be able to get smaller sheets of Tyvek to test on. This may be something that would be easier to just experiment and find out.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

THE PWNER posted:

Not sure if this question is more suited for sh/sc or here;

I have an old Intuos 3 I want to give to my cousin, but I've lost the original pen. It seems like all of the replacements run $70+

Are there any other options for pens because at that price I might as well just buy a new tablet. I looked around and it seems the answer is "gently caress no" but I figured I'd ask for a second opinion before giving up.

The problem is that the pen is where, like, 80% of the drawing tech is so they're going to be expensive because that's where all the electronics live that make the device work.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I would just make the copies and then merge them using Pathfinder and then clean up any points I didn't want. Pretty much any Illustrator "how do I make shape?" question can be answered by Pathfinder.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That's really up to you. Does it bother you that you can't draw on paper? What do you value: being able to finish projects or honing your craft (or both)? You are asking the question which leads me to believe that it does bother you to some degree and if that's the case, then you know what to do. If you decide that that skill gap between paper and tablet isn't important to you, then who cares.

I will say, though, that the people that I know that I consider to be truly good artists can create good work no matter the materials. But again, that's me. Who are you?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's all conte. He strategically wears down a corner of the conte until it creates a point and a flatter bit (think like an extreme version of a chisel tip) and uses the various angles of surfaces to produce different effects. It also helps that he's drawing on smooth newsprint.

He was a professor of mine in college.

mutata fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 28, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Easy Canvas Prints spam my inbox with 50% off coupons and sales pretty constantly. I used them once for a gift and it turned out well enough with no drama. That piece was black and white, though, so I can't speak for their color quality. Just don't order from them for full price because they have sales like every other week.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Poor soul. Up until now he's lived in a world where there must have been an easy way to composite other than "you brute force it by hand"... Innocence lost.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So in a way, "Expand" actually does just the opposite. :haw:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

zelgadis posted:

Not sure if this is the exact forum, what's the deal with using music in youtube videos? I've read all about fair use, and policies youtube has etc. But I saw a Pat the nes punk video where he use "Push it to the Limit" in a montage, and maybe he got permission but I highly doubt it. I believe i have seen push it to the limit in parody montages regularly on youtube. This is not a fair use because it does not parody the song itself and uses it nontransformatively.

In creating Youtube videos I have lots ideas that would utilize licensed music(i.e. music by any band), but I assumed the automatic detection would render it unusable, like twitch mutes vods with commercial music. I thought maybe if your aren't a partner then maybe you're more likely to slip under the radar, but i'm pretty sure pat monetizes his videos. So, without getting into legality too much, is it common for this use to go unnoticed on youtube for old songs? Or whats the deal? Can't do a montage with stock music.

YouTube's bots are much more nuanced these days in that they don't just blanket delete videos with copyrighted music. It all depends on what the license holder has requested. Some stuff makes it through because the license holder doesn't care. Some stuff the license holder has allowed to be used on YouTube. Other times, it will block your video in certain countries. Other times it will insert a "Song is X by Y" annotation in your description. Other times the license holder will allow music to be used but the video cannot be monetized, the license holder hijacks the monetization for that video, or they get to put an ad on your video that makes them money. Or, of course, it's blocked. There's also a large bank of music that YouTube lists that is available to use. Finally, from what I've heard, if the clip you use is less than 10 seconds long, then it doesn't get flagged.

Basically, it's a mess.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

RattiRatto posted:

Yep, i know it's not easy, as the designer needs to pull together all the information we give him and summarize them into a logo. But honestly, i have no clue of how much time that would time in terms of hours. Thanks for the answer

If you're gonna do hourly (as opposed to a lump figure) he needs to quote you a time estimate. He's most likely gonna seeing too low and then you and he will have to work that out (whether you agree on a new estimate with a new figure or you hold him to his original estimate and make him eat the hours). It's part of his learning to screw himself over on a hourly quote and it's part of you getting a good deal with a student that you have to do a little more time in discussing and dealing with his inexperience.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Staircase posted:

A goon made this and posted it in (I think) a daily drawing thread a few years ago. Love the style, but I forgot who made it! Anyone know? I'd love to see more of their work.

Crap I forget her name... Man that was a while ago. It was definitely a woman though. Haha, I'm super helpful.

Edit: TonyDanzasHo?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Vermain posted:

Are there any websites/apps that allow you to rotate simple objects (spheres, cylinders, etc.) on any axis? I've got a few objects sitting around that I use for checking foreshortening, but holding them up all the time to get the right angle can be a bit cumbersome at times.

Google Sketchup is good for this kind of stuff. They even have an online collection of all kinds of objects you can import (landmarks, buildings, cars, etc) for 3d reference. It's a 3d modeling program but it was made to be easy to learn for the layperson.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The next Surface is rumored to be coming with Windows 10 this fall.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The point of referencing in general is to connect with the audience by leveraging existing culture cache. You essentially ride the coattails of an existing joke in order to endear yourself to an audience. But this has built in negatives. You automatically exclude the huge portion of people who are ALREADY sick of the joke bring referenced as well as the people who NEVER liked the referenced joke to begin with.

You also run the very real risk of being seen as appropriating a piece of culture that is seen by fans as homemade and grassroots. Memes in particular are earned comedy: if you are an individual everyman who posts on forums and gets nerd jokes, then you can use them. If you are a company selling something, the internet will never really warm to you appropriating its culture for your own gain.

Simply referencing a meme is the comedy equivalent of someone dressing up like Frank Sinatra and getting up on stage and trying to replicate Frank Sinatra's singing voice and singing the same songs as him. Sinatra fans won't really dig it because this guy isn't really Sinatra, he's just an imposter and people who already hate Sinatra will hate the fake even more. Our worse, they won't even care and will never think about him ever again.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Looks like modern pixel art.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Google Image search can search via images too. Click the camera icon in the search box or in Chrome right click, > search Google for this image or whatever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks for the advice, sadly read your advice after i finished the session Chernabog. I used a pen and tried to go for the general shape, i ended up neglecting the head, feet and hands as i found them too fiddly and often time consuming.

I owe this thread a follow,-up so here's 5 of the presentable (actually finished/non-stick person) ones in this gallery: http://imgur.com/a/UJpf0

(NSFW for poorly drawn female anatomy)

And yeah, the pen lines are pretty bad, still getting used to drawing without messing up so ended up going over them until i got a shape i felt at least somewhat resembled a human.

Not sure if it's bad to do what i did with the lines, i presume so, so i'm going to do some of those "draw a line until you can do so confidently, in one stroke" exercises.

Looks good to me! Keep going and never stop forever until you're dead.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hi I'm a 3D environment artist at Disney and I and all of my coworkers use paper all the time. We even have weekly figure drawing classes where we all draw on paper. What's more important, though, is this moron is stuck on some stupid vendetta against a specific tool at the expense of learning principles. It'd be like saying you need to do away with figure drawing classes because no one uses easels anymore or some poo poo.

The guy is a moron twice over, 1 because everyone loving uses paper constantly (even if we all eventually finish on the computer) and 2 because he wants to do away with learning skills and principles because he doesn't like the tool being used. Ludicrous.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

PM me if you need someone with "Disney" on his resume to write a response to his ideas to anyone above him that can reign him in. I'm not trying to be all "look at me", it's just that I've just noticed that people turn their ears when the Disney name comes up and if I can help some kids' education not get hosed up I'd like to use the name drop for good.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pick a loose sketch that you really like, scan it in, darken it, upsize it, print it out on its own sheet of paper, and put a new clean sheet of paper on top and use it as a guide for another iteration. You'll start to learn how to see good potential for more detailed drawings in your quick sketches and you don't ever have to worry about "ruining" your original sketch again.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pizzatime posted:

Thank you, we will!

In the meantime, my better half drew a little comic that I think showcases that she does work on broadening her styles quite well.

http://vankingdom.tumblr.com/image/137010954762

For what it's worth, me and my much better artist friends/coworkers have all but abandoned tumblr as a platform. Some people just plug into the vibe there and take off, but I know fantastic, successful, profitable artists who post there and get single- or double-digit notes. Most everyone I know posts on Instagram (which can simultaneously post to tumblr etc) or Facebook or Twitter or even imgur/reddit and they get way better base level exposure. With tumblr you seem to be at the whims of the huge super-popular tumblrs. You could try submitting some posts to them and seeing if they'll reblog but eh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pizzatime posted:

Instagram's good for photos with filters, illustration not that much. afaik they're forcing a rectangular aspect ratio which isn't suited to much but your usual hipster photos either. reposting to tumblr from there makes it a gamble with the odds not in your favor that the post / image will look alright on tumblr and whatever else you're reposting it to. Doesn't help that you can't even browse Instagram without a smartphone.

I mean, all of that is wrong, but OK.

That's just what all of my friends and coworkers are doing these days. The real answer to your question is "Get good and get lucky".

mutata fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 11, 2016

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

neonnoodle posted:

How do I do the Instagrams if I don't have a Facebook? I don't want Facebook.

I'm pretty sure you can just sign up with an email address... You need to get the app to sign up (which I guess is what he was talking about, even though you can browse instagram in a browser just fine), but I don't think they've locked it to Facebook.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It all looks like a high schooler's margin drawings. We all start at the beginning and move our own ways up the craftsmanship ladder, and we all pass through the phase she seems to be operating in, but she's likely not getting a lot of feedback because her stuff just isn't that appealing. Everything is soft, grey and amateur. There's no commanding point of interest in any of the pieces; no compositional rules being invoked. It's not even in a "so bad it draws attention to the good writing" place. It's overall just very drab and uninteresting.

So how do you very out of there? Consume critically-acclaimed media in the area of your choice (so comics I guess) and analyze what is good about it overall but also in each page. As was said above, go back to the fundamentals: do projects and assignments that target a specific aspect such as line, form, mood, composition, or short form storytelling. She's at the point where she can dig in and just do what comes easy from here on out and never progress past "talented 17 year old" level or she can really start treating art as an academic trade and get serious. Either way is fine, and we all have to go through these stages, but she won't get much more than a meager following of like-minded fan types in her current state. To really get broader feedback, you have to earn it by captivating people.

Many of the people who are currently on top of their industries worked in amateurity and anonymity for years before really grabbing am audience. poo poo takes forever!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: Nevermind I'm dumb.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Next time you show it to him, make it an animated gif that is literally moving to the left.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I prefer a drawing tablet for sketching and inking but a desk tablet for painting and sculpting. As a result, color quality is less important to me so I grabbed a Yiynova 19inch screen tablet for $600 and it's been fine. Not amazing, but fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Would photoshop's auto-align not do rotation?