Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I got a 2 in 1 laptop and am having fun learning digital art with a stylus, where I have just used a mouse before. I have Photoshop and SketchBook which are great for sitting down and trying to make art with.

I am looking for a program that acts more like an actual sketchbook. I want something I can jot ideas on, hopefully with color and stuff, but it doesn't need to have a lot of editing options. I want something where I can put ideas down fast and easy and then flip through them quickly to see what I have done in the past while getting smoother with using the stylus.

Any suggestions? When I google it, mostly Autodesk Sketchbook comes up, or all the other more full featured programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Seconded. I wish I could participate in the daily doodle thread but I never have time. I might be able to post a finished piece like 3 times a year though

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My so and I did nano a few years ago. You pretty much have to write every single day. And I agree with the no edits. Just go balls to the wall for November and edit later

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am dumb

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 14, 2019

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I used water based oils when my kid was really tiny so I didn’t have to have solvents around. Definitely not as good as the real thing but they have their uses.

Can anyone recommend me good thin waterproof black markers? The key thing being waterproof. I have found Prismas, Uni Posca and Montana all smear. The Molotow .7 tip splatters a lot. I am lining over other acrylic markers and acrylic paints and sometimes need to get the piece wet again. Smearing black is the bane of my existence

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

lofi posted:

Sounds like you want alcohol based markers. They dry out really easily, they bleed through everything, but they won't smear.

I didn't even think about trying a Prisma or Copic OVER acrylic, but it worked. Thanks.

My next search is a paper I don't have to prepare for acrylic markers. I have a lot of Stonehenge and have been priming it with white acrylic or gesso with a colored acrylic ground. I tried Crescent's Graffiti Paper and their Rendr, and both buckle and pill a lot for claiming that they take all media.

I have some Yupo on the way but I am not excited that it is plastic.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I do 2-3 juried outdoor art fairs with the tent and all that business per year, so if anyone wants to know more about that, lmk. I started off doing local markets, but quickly found they are not my audience - especially when it comes to selling originals. I have sat 8 hours to make $5 AMA!

Peat Moss, as far as growing a CV without a lot of jury/gallery fees - I can think of a couple things. Look into local/ regional government and public buildings with display spaces. I know my city has 2 spaces they let local artists show in free of charge. Join any local artists groups if you have them to get in on group shows. Look for restaurants, cafes, small gift shops who feature local artists on their walls and ask how to be included. Network with artists near you to find inexpensive show opportunities.

Don’t fake anything. I don’t know where you are, but I feel like the arts community where I am would sniff that out pretty easily. It’s a small art world and we all know of each other. Fostering relationships with other artists and gallery owners would be a good idea. Go to openings and shows and introduce yourself and get involved.

Im not a full time artist, but the people I know who are hustle their asses off. They help run galleries, teach, do art consulting, etc in addition to selling art. The common denominator is they all are super involved in the art community here.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Stickermule is Trumpfy, so I don’t love them, but a heads up - they have 50 stickers for $9 right now. You aren’t going to find a better deal than that if you want to try vinyl stickers.

I have an Etsy where I print my own with an Epson r2000 ancient giclee printer. I don’t think I have had any sales this year, but I also haven’t done any in person shows which usually drive a little traffic to my site. I also have a Society6 and Fine Art America. I think Peat Moss is right that bo matter what storefront you have, you need to do a lot of outside hustling to get traffic there.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

There is a long point type sharpener, like this:

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/kum-long-point-pencil-sharpener-red-flip-top-reservoir-2-holes-v10384

The first hole exposes the lead and the second one makes it into a needle point. I have several for my colored pencils and though I am not sure how it compares to a .03 mechanical pencil, it is a sharp rear end point. Problem is it is so sharp you need a super light hand for it not to break immediately with soft lead.

Top is a normal KUM sharpener and bottom is the long point:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah look for art fairs or art crawls in your area and buy art from an actual artist!

Failing that, Minted is one of the better straight to consumer places imo:

https://www.minted.com/art

I would do a large vertical stretched canvas, no frame if it were me.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I work with large format printers and have been looking for a new large format for myself to print on cardstock and thick art paper so this is what I know

Canon makes a line of printers for crafting that Red River paper recommends as especially good for card stock. TS9521C. I don’t think it will quite do illustration board but it will do card stock and thick paper. This would be the most affordable option.

Things like Canon Pixma Pro 200 or Epson P700 are the next step up but only take up to like 0.027” from what I can see. They could do any nice paper. In the $550-$1200 ballpark.

Maybe the next step up could - be these would be Epson or Canon stand up giclee printers like the Epson P6000 or Canon PRO-2100. They say they take up to 1.5mm or.8mm at the thickest but some picture framers I know have put matboard through these types of printers. They start around $3k

So basically a lot of words to say probably not? There are flatbed printers that could but they are very expensive. You could look around for a print shop that could print for you but guessing it would be expensive too

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

leper khan posted:

Axidraw plotter would do it

I hadn’t heard of these; looks super interesting

I would love to try something like this with colored pencils, tho you would need to have them do a lot of smaller actions to allow for sharpening

I am hoping to get a new printer in the next couple weeks. Peat Moss, pm me - I have some media I could print to for you to try using the Inktense with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is it normal for calls for artists to essentially be just paying for a chance to possibly display your work?

All of my city's calls for artists have submission fees (anywhere from $10-50 per piece), they're then juried and the selected pieces are displayed as part of an exhibition where they can be listed as for sale, usually with a price cap around $300-500 and a 30%+ commission for the gallery. It seems like a big gamble since you'd have to get over the hurdles of being selected by the jury and then actually selling at exhibition. There's one that would be ideal for my work, but the submission fee is $35/piece and the gallery takes a 35% cut, I would straight-up lose money unless at least 25% of what I submitted was chosen and then actually sold. Even the local artist grants have application fees - like a $45 application fee for a $2,000 grant that only has one recipient.

There's nothing I can submit anything to as a broke artist :mad: Am I just out of touch and this is the way arts opportunities work these days?

I am signed up to get calls from:

EntryThingy https://www.entrythingy.com/forartists_calls
CAFE https://artist.callforentry.org
and Zapp https://www.zapplication.org

there are some calls that cost nothing to enter. A lot of the calls they have are pretty specific, but you never know what will pop up. All are legit sources though Zapp is more art fair/festival focused they do sometimes have online events listed.