Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
A major block I have with my writing is I obssess over it in numerous ways. School has forced the first major one out of my system--that is, over-revision. Now I'm pretty good at hammering out a first draft, just getting the poo poo on paper, before going back and revising it.

However, I can't figure out how to overcome my other major obstacle. I'm hypercritical of myself to the point where I abandon or don't even start many fiction projects because after I get maybe a chapter in, I think about it too much/too hard and think it's too stupid, it'll never be written well enough, nobody will like it, etc. etc. I don't trust anyone's opinions on it if they just say they "like" it, and even when it's critiqued and I change it I'll often still scrap it.

Does this happen to anyone else? How the hell do I just suck it up and write something without worrying too much about if it's good or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Slashie posted:

1. Stop seeking critiques of unfinished work. Unless it's a school assignment and you're required to turn in drafts, simply forget about showing the piece you're writing to anybody until it's complete.

2. Don't edit until you've finished the first draft. If you want to be really extreme, don't even correct typos. Write and don't look back.

3. Try writing your first draft in some way that makes it "unsubmittable." Hand write it, don't use punctuation, whatever you want. Give the piece some built-in flaw, so when something else bugs you about your writing you can just go "well, I'll just fix that when I retype the whole thing anyway."

4. Stop being such a drat weenie. Statistically speaking, you probably aren't a very good writer. There's no reason you should be if you're just starting out. In my experience it's kids who always had schoolwork come naturally to them who freak out when they try to write creatively. Just because nothing's ever been as hard as this is doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. If you set out and ran a marathon right this second I imagine you'd fail miserably. Would you crawl home crying about how stupid you are, or just chalk it up to the fact that you haven't done the years and years of training actual marathon runners do?

Writing isn't even a little bit easy. If you're a new writer and are jumping right in with writing novels, that's probably a mistake. You're biting off more than you can chew. You need to work on the elements of narrative writing in beginner-size chunks before you'll get anywhere with a novel. You need to put in years of practice with dialogue, structure, imagery, pacing, style, and all of that other stuff before you'll even have a chance of writing something you think is good. The next time you look at your writing and think "this sucks," instead of beating yourself up about it, work on it. Pick out one sucky thing and work on just that. The dialogue's bad? Write a page or two of nothing but dialogue. Then do it a few dozen more times. Then pick something else you're bad at and repeat.
That's some great advice, thanks.

One more question I just thought of: I've often heard that having something self-published can mean the kiss of death if you ever seek legitimate publishers.

I'm currently writing poems for a small, ~50-page collection for an anniversary. I want to make like one copy through lulu.com and that's it (dunno if it works that way). Common sense tells me publishers won't really give a poo poo but I'd like to be sure that's the case.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Are there any suggestions for DeviantArt-like sites for writing, that don't suck?

Searching Yahoo Answers has brought up writing.com, indyfluency.com, chapteread.com, and fanstory.com, but before I sign up to four sites to check them all out I'd like to hear from anyone who knows about dedicated writing communities on the internet.

EDIT: I may also post this in the resources thread once I get an answer. Thanks in advance!

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 13, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Impper posted:

Zoetrope.com is the best for this. There are a lot of good reviewers, a lot of good writers, and even better, the editors of Zoetrope All-Story peruse the highly-rated stories. There are also requirements for critiquing (you must critique 5 pieces for every one you submit for criticism). Really, the best part is that not only will your pieces definitely get good critiques, but you can also see the work that your critics are churning out themselves. I've looked at a few of those sites, and they seemed to be pretty particularly bad. Stories that were objectively terrible (it's been a few months since I really looked into the writing forums, so hopefully I'm not trashing the wrong sites) and rife with crippling mechanical errors were getting rave reviews. It seemed like a big ego-rubbing festival... something that Zoetrope definitely is not.
Thank you thank you THANK YOU, this is precisely what I've been looking for.

I decided I wanted to get back into writing recently and dusted off my DA account, but then was like "wait, what kinds of literature do they have here anyway" so I looked under Literature\Prose\Fiction, sorted by Popular of All Time, and found bullshit like this.

Thanks again, I really appreciate that.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 22, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

awkward saw posted:

Is there a free (ie non-watermarked trial version) pdf converter out there? I'm helping a friend with a cd cover and the format needs to be pdf or ai, all my stuff is bmps and jpegs. Thanks!

I use and love CutePDF. It's so easy to use, just print the document and select CutePDF as the printer.

It's not sophisticated of course, but it works well enough for my needs, I have no idea how sophisticated a PDF converter would need to be. But a quick Google search of "free pdf converter" comes up with quite a few results.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I posted a thread in Education & Academics that I'd like any writers to take a look at if possible. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3151812

Basically I need help learning how to write literary criticism well. Suggest journals, tutorials, classes, exercises, etc. if you could, I'd appreciate it.

I'm actually working on an honors paper which I'll post as an example of what I'm doing now, once I'm done with it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've started learning to draw. I've got a couple of specific projects in mind, so I'm doing some pre-work on the project and organizing my ideas and planning the steps I'll need to take towards the goal, and parallel to that I'm learning to draw from square 0.

I have a tablet and copy of clip studio a friend gave me, and I'm learning that program right now and getting familiar with the functions (can't wait to start practicing drawing with layers), but for right now I'm primarily just practicing how to draw simple lines and shapes (circles, triangles, squares) using pencil and paper, as well as other super basic things like e.g. drawing from the shoulder instead of the wrist, etc. I don't want to move on to drawing anything more than that until I feel confident in my ability to imagine two points and draw a straight line between them, or see a shape and draw it without it looking incredibly bendy and wonky. Right now my arm control is terrible. My best circles require me to make some practice circles in the air before touching pencil to paper and eve then it's iffy.

How long should I expect to have to drill this until I can move on? And is there anything else I should focus on fundamentals-wise? Even as far as posture, whether my hand should even be touching the page (it does on pen & paper but it can't on the tablet, as I quickly discovered).

e: I am doing other things at the same time too, like taking reference photos and trying to find/trace basic shapes out of them, draw wireframes over people, draw head construction shapes over other heads, etc. But the lines are all extremely messy all the time so it's more just to learn and drill that stuff into my head so that by the time I'm ready to start the project I'll have a better idea of anatomy and such

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 15, 2023

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I think all of this was exactly what I needed to hear, thank you very much. I'll take a look at those videos. Much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This reminds me of opening clip studio paint and seeing they had a premium currency shop, and laughing irl