Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What is a poseable artist mannequin that people would recommend? I bought one from China and it was so bad I ended up binning it (And finding great satisfaction in the process)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

mutata posted:

The Figma "Archetype" figures are pretty useful in that regard, if you can find them for sane prices. Looks like there's a line called "Body Kun" as well that is very similar.

I think they were the ones I had. They only cost £7 each, which is really reasonable but they broke so easily, the legs and arms would pop off if you tried to move them even a little and on the female model the body popped in half. I wonder if I bought a cheap Chinese knock off (Though I think the brand is Chinese).

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Argue posted:

Yeah, beware of fakes. Take note that sites like "bodykun.com" and even "shfiguarts.com" sell fakes. You'll want to look up which websites sell real ones; I think amiami is one. There are a number of tells but I think the most obvious one is that the stand on the real ones is clear, the fake ones are a hazier matte, like frosted glass. I also like Stickybones although I think they take forever to fulfill an order (but that's probably because I funded the original campaign; never tried buying direct).

Also, beware when drawing: the figures are useful for referencing the perspective and foreshortening, but without a reference pic of a real person, you're likely missing out on some pretty drastic muscle/fat deformation that the models aren't capable of reflecting.

Thank you for the advice :)