Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
One of the stories in the daily thread made me wonder for a moment, and I can't remember what the rule / convention / normal approach is for this.

Let's say you want to describe something with a color, and the color uses two words. Examples: sea green, navy blue, cornflower blue. I was under the impression that you're supposed to, when describing an object as "a(n) COLOR [object]", hyphenate the color if it's a two-word color, but damned if I can remember when/from whom I learned this.

So which of these would be correct (or if there isn't a rule, more suitable instead)?

"a cornflower blue gel"
"a cornflower-blue gel"

I would have said the latter is more suitable, but now am not sure... What say all ye CC Gods o' Grammar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Travakian posted:

These are called compound adjectives. I like compound adjectives. Hyphens are required.

Wiki for more (very short article).

Thanks! I'm glad I had it right at least, though I hate when I can't remember crap from grammar school. :( Much appreciated.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

illcendiary posted:

Hello all.

I'm writing a short book for my girlfriend for our one-year anniversary (corny, I know :shobon: ) and I'd like to know if anyone had any recommendations for finding a place to print and bind it.

It's very text-light (a few lines per page, about 20 pages), with full-color illustrations that I pieced together in Adobe Illustrator. Any ideas? No worries about the cost (within reason :) ).

Lulu or Amazon CreateSpace are options. Lulu's bindings are pretty darned good, as are their cover designs. I can't vouch for interior color prints, though, as everything I've done is text. Very reasonable cost ($15-30 per copy for hard-cover, usually), but expect it to take a week or two for them to ship to you once you get your design approved.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My wife is transitioning from traditional illustration into digital this year. She is teaching herself Illustrator with various Udemy courses, books, etc, but she's run into a snag and isn't sure what she needs to do to fix this.

Most of her stuff works well with vectors for the line art and outlines, but she's having substantial trouble converting texturing, watercolour brushes, patterns into anything she can reasonably vectorize. (Makes sense, really - they'd be impossibly huge and crash everything.) She has a client that is asking for "everything in vector format (including the colors, patterns, etc), resizable to any size." We both think it's an unrealistic expectation but since neither of us is a digital expert, we want to make sure of this before we go telling the guy it's not doable that way.

How do you illustrator people handle repeated patterns, backgrounds that aren't gradient / easily vectorized, etc? Are you just using them as rasterized components built into the final size once you've scaled the vector components to their ideal size? I have no idea how to do any of this, but will be an appropriately loving husband and relay advice to her.

Like, take the left image up above. Is there any reasonable means by which you could introduce that style of backdrop or the chair patterning (assume more repeatable) into Illustrator in a vector format? Or should she just introduce it from Photoshop at largest print quality, scale down as appropriate for smaller works?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Trace tool

gmc9987 posted:

If I need watercolor/texture/non-vector stuff in Illustrator, I make it in Photoshop at 1.5x to 2x the final print size, save a copy as a flattened CMYK .TIFF file, and place it as a linked file into Illustrator. You can use clipping masks to mask the background or pattern to only certain areas.

Image Trace works well enough if the bitmap image has only a few colors and no gradients, but getting realistic watercolor texture out of it will probably be more hassle than it's worth. If the client just wants everything vector and doesn't care about having the organic watercolor and texture effects, I'd just do the whole thing in Illustrator and find an alternative treatment for the background and patterns. If the client absolutely needs watercolor and paper textures, let them know you'll give them as high-res files as you can but that vector artwork isn't really suited for that style so a couple of bitmap images will be needed.

As far as the chair pattern, illustrator allows you to create Pattern swatches - you can create a single tile, and illustrator can use that as a fill for any shape you want. Before you ship the file, you can also expand the pattern back into regular vectors so that no one who gets the file can yank the pattern swatch for their own use.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. The realistic water colors are seriously wrecking the file sizes / calculation times because they're totally not appropriate for vector interpretation. The vector medium just isn't suited for what they're asking for. I'm honestly not certain that they understand what they're asking for, based on the technology requests, so I've also recommended that my wife have a meeting with her client to get more information. Big red flag to me was when they told her that they wanted vector images for all the book pages because "they work better on iPhones." Given their intended print/digital distribution approach / the tech behind standard ebook formats right now, this simply isn't true because all of the major ebook formats are only barely compatible with SVG and render substantially slower than pre-conversion to PNG or JPG as appropriate for the visual style, at the maximum device resolution you intend to draw for. Plus, it's not like vectorizing the art saves her having to deal with different aspect ratios between devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

They want resizeable vector artwork because they intend to use the same artwork for a variety of purposes without having to pay your wife to resize or redesign the work. Vector is resolution independent, therefore a vector drawing can be printed on anything, we are saving money! I have some clients who insist on this, and while it's annoying it's not ALWAYS an indication of a lovely client - One client of mine always pays his bills on time, whenever asked, and is super reasonable with deadlines - he just has a very tiny monthly budget to work with. It's not ideal but it's not the worst.

I still say there is some value in sussing out a new vector-appropriate background treatment, if only to learn and become more familiar with the software, and also increase the speed when asked to do things on a budget for smaller clients (which I'm assuming this is, based on the somewhat sketchy knowledge of what vector means and their insistence that this one piece of work be printable at all sizes). Whether that is for this client or not is up to your wife, but learning the disadvantages and advantages of digital art compared to traditional is pretty useful.

Yeah, I don't think it's them being sketchy at all. They're paying in the low five digits for the final project and are breaking up the payments section by section with a very reasonable contract, from what I've seen of it. They're a fairly major religious organization, but the board involved in the project are a bunch of elderly monks who aren't really tech-savvy. If anything's going on, it's just that art isn't their forte at all (which makes perfect sense -- hire someone to do what you can't do yourself) so expectations might not get communicated well. :) By flag, I meant "they might not really know what they want" rather than "uh oh, this is a bad client."