Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Copyright question.

I am thinking about adapting a work written by an English author in 1909 for an animated short. THE INTERNET says that it's in the public domain but I don't particularly trust THE INTERNET too much. Is there any way to verify that I will have the rights to adapt it? I think that I would be ok since The War of the Worlds came out a few years ago along with an assload of competitor low-budget movies but I would appreciate advice from anyone who would know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

RandomEffects posted:

My nephew has been making his own shirts using iron-ons and i wanted to get him set up with a silk screen printing kit as he is really into it. preferably something with clear instructions rather than just here are all the pieces.

What is an affordable kit for an 12 year old?

Here's a super basic kit that won't break the bank: Buy two or three screens, a big bottle of blocking fluid, a big brush, a small brush, some ink, a squeegee and a few dozen cardboard boxes to cut up and practice on.

All he has to do is trace something on the screen (lightly) using a pencil. Then just color in the areas he doesn't want to print with the blocking fluid using the brushes. Let dry, put on a piece of paper, put ink on the bottom or top or sides, squeegee down/across then pull up and go on to the next one. When he's done all he has to do is take it outside and spray the blocking fluid out with a hose. It's a simple setup but he'll be churning out shirts with "gently caress" across them in about an hour.

A super, super basic kit is buying one of those hoops that old people use to crochet, putting the screen in there and then blocking out the design with white glue.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Want to start doing night time studies of a couple areas in my city. Anyone know what kind of bulb I want in a headlamp that would give me natural light for when I start to paint?

rawrr posted:

Where's a good place online to get things (business cards, namely) printed? I'm looking for an affordable place that also offers a choice of paper stock, and finishing options such as spot varnish or die cutting.

Are things like this better (more cheaply) done through a local print shop?

I usually point people to ClubFlyers.com. I've been using them since around 2003 and the only complaint I would have is that sometimes their yellows (in large fields of yellow) come out tinged green but that's kind of life when you deal with gangpress printers. Drop the extra bucks for a proof.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

rivetz posted:

Hoping this is the right place for this.

I'm planning to enter an online video contest with a decent cash prize. I have a solid conceptual idea that is basically a riff on crappy Ronco-style infomercials - flashing toll-free number at the bottom, low production values evident throughout. What's the best software program for creating something like this?

Shoot it on a pre-HD flip camera. Don't forget to have the boom mic in the pic.

Pinnacle is pretty cheap and has some ridiculously cheesey text and fading effects.
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Home/

For a retro look, take your digital work and transfer it to a VCR tape and then transfer it again a few times to degrade it before transferring back to digital.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Get him something from Pinnacle so that it's not a complete waste of money when he moves on to dinosaurs or girls.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Fruity20 posted:

hard pass for me. anything before the 1990s gets a no for me. loomis is a exception but i'm still weary really. it also helps that i wanna draw more black and asian people but i struggle to make it more convincing. not too much to look like racist caricatures mind you. we know we don't want that. but thanks for the suggestion. i could check it out for morbid curiosity.

This guy is coming out with a book that I think is going to be a decent resource for drawing realistic African Americans.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shabazz/how-to-draw-black-people

and an interview with the author
https://www.quirktastic.co/post/how-to-draw-black-people-the-long-overdue-tutorial-every-artist-needs-to-read/

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Christoph posted:

Does anyone know what kind of software I should use to make drone/ambient tracks?

I haven't touched audio editing software since 2007 and have no clue what's actually good.

Reaper is free to mess with. You can pick up a keyboard with mappable keys for around $100 and there are a bunch of free vsts + your own ability to do field recordings and mess with them in Audigy (a free sound manipulator).

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

You can normally buy single large sheets you can cut up and use for whatever. It winds up being substantially cheaper.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Not to scare you off because the character of John Wick is so generic as to be laughable for a lawyer to try to claim that a figurine of a white guy with guns and a beard is a specific movie character but this is an article about the guy who got screwed on the cover art for a chiptune tribute to Miles Davis tried to claim fair use and that the original photo had been altered enough as to not infringe on copyright.

https://www.litigationandtrial.com/2011/06/articles/attorney/trademark-copyright-infringement/kind-of-bloop-an-statutory-damages/

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Cicero posted:

Is there a way to upres art that's better than waifu2x? Bit of a story, I got these DDR dance pads for my son's birthday (but I'll also be using them, otherwise I wouldn't have spent so much), but figured I could get custom arrows for him in the Friday Night Funkin style since it's basically DDR anyway and he loves that game. But the original arrows aren't terribly high res, maybe not great for printing out into resin or whatever. I tried the waifu2x upscalers I found with a quick google search, they do an okay job, but I'm wondering if there's a better option (it's probably okay if it costs money as long as it's not exorbitant).

You could probably get a Goon to whip them up in Illustrator pretty cheap. I'd post a wanted ad.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

busalover posted:

I've been contacted on Instagram by an art gallery that wants to feature my art in their next expo. The catch: If you want to participate, you gotta pay. €250 for one image, €500 for three. Is this a known scam? I tried researching the contact as well as the gallery itself, but didn't find any outright signs that point to scam. I mean I do digital stuff, and they present digital stuff, so it kinda fits. :shrug:
This is their website https://www.madsgallery.art/.

e: I've started reading up on "Vanity Galleries". Aha, so that's what this is. Interesting. Maybe I'll start my own. Goons are welcome for 25$ special nice price.

Anecdotal but I know a couple Philadelphia-based artists who finagled openings in NYC at small-time stuff like cafes and community centers whose stock immediately went up when buyers down here saw they were showing in NYC. So if it the company/gallery was LA or NYC based, I could see it as a way to jump start interest if you were the type who needed or wanted it but you have to be the type to shout, 'OH WHEN MY PIECE WAS SHOWN IN NEW YORK...." at every opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm contemplating painting my front door, and had the idea to do a dithered gradient, something like this:
Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Neat, I like the design. As someone said up thread, get a flat door but alternately find someone with a copy of illustrator to do it up as a vector drawing and get it vinyl wrapped. It will save you a ton of trouble and that way if inspiration strikes again you can peel it off and get it done again.