Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Dvega posted:

Are there any good figure pose websites out there? I've been using posemaniacs.com, but as handy as it is, I'm wondering if there aren't any good sites with actual human models?

I use this site a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Oh god how do I use adobe illustrator. I've tried to do some tutorials and watched some videos but it all goes totally over my head, does any one know of any absolutly basic, easy to follow tutorials that actually explain what I'm doing?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Is there a non-toxic alternative to sharpies out there? I use them a ton just like pretty much everyone else here probably does, but I think I'm starting to get an allergy or something to them.

Oh yeah and stay the gently caress away from these fuckers

They stunk up my sketchbook so bad I had to throw it out :(

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Back Stabber posted:

Hey quick question: What type of paint would work well with painting wood without leaving any sort of texture (specifically, skateboards)?

You'll want to invest in a single action airbrush (you can pick one up for 20 or 30 bucks if you shop around) if you want a totally smooth finish. After that you can use any paint you want, as long as you seal it afterwords.

Does anyone know a good community\website for sculpture? Like conceptart.org or eatpoo but for sculpture?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I'm a loving idiot and had the idea of drawing a nude from a reference with tons of negative space (the negative space was actually what made me want to draw it in the first place). I'm a total nub when it comes to using pencil for realistic rendering, what's the best pencil to use to render large areas of black? The tutorial I've been referring to recommends using a hard edge pencil (so I've been using HB and 2B) and keeping it super sharp, which I've been doing but it's a gigantic pain in the butt and doesn't get as dark as I'd like. I've also tried using 8b, which is nice and dark but wears down too fast and shows too much of the paper grain (///_ಥ)

Normally I'd just use vine charcoal but I'm trying to stick with art pencils this time around.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 1, 2010

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Anyway about my last question ITT, it turns out that the tutorial I was using before just sucked, but I'm fine now.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Alakala posted:

What good books on anatomy are there for drawing/painting sort of stuff?

There's tons and tons out there at just about any bookstore. Loomis' stuff is now public domain and can be had for free over the internet, and I use this book, which I managed to get for $14 at a used bookstore, rather than the $160 Amazon wants for it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

So I've started working on my final project for the program I'm enrolled in this semester a little early, it's hopefully going to be a ~20 page zine\design doc type thing dealing with concepts relating to 'place'.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any (preferably visual) artists who's work I could draw some inspiration from.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Arriviste posted:

Two things came to mind when you said. “…concepts relating to place.” The first is environment(al) photography—portraits taken in a place reflecting (or contrasting) the subject's life and/or work. These run the gambit from trite and arbitrary to sensitive and mysterious. Photographer Diane Arbus might be a good starting point.

The second approach I thought of is the installation piece. These works are specific to the space they occupy. An obvious example is Christo & Jean-Claude. A personal favorite is Truman Lowe.

Awesome, thanks.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Is lighting tandoori chicken on fire for presentation a "thing"? I thought I remembered a local Indian restaurant doing it when I was a kid, but I can't find any reference to it on a quick Google search. Maybe it was another dish and I'm mixing them up?

I could see a Surrealist or even Dadaist presentation based around serving chicken on fire, but you're probably looking for the general Q&A thread in Goons with spoons.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I'm tired to poo poo of not knowing anatomy. What's the best way to study it in order to shove that info in my brain so I can go onto bigger and better things?
Should I just copy the illustrations in anatomy textbooks?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Baldbeard posted:

Painters: What's the minimum size canvas you would use to paint a portrait from life? I keep finding myself having a hard time with stroke control on fine details like the eyes and under the nose. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that I naturally work very, very small. The biggest canvas I have used is around 9 x 11, basically like a standard sheet of paper.

Try using a mahl stick to balance your hand (and keep your hand off the canvas) if you're having trouble with brush control.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I have a ceramics question! I want to make a latin american lidded casserole for my final project, but I can't remember the name of the specific type of casserole, so I can't look up reference pictures.

They're usually unglazed, thick bottomed with inward sloping walls and no fluting at the rim. They also have a thrown, conical handle attached to the side.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Sarah Barracuda posted:

What would be the best way to recreate the look of Ben-Day or halftone dots using acrylic paint on canvas?

My first attempt masking off acrylics involved tape sealed with matte medium, I but found it unreliable and wasn't happy with the outcome. Admittedly it may have had something to do with my technique and the materials I chose. How would I go about masking/stenciling everything so the dots look clean and crisp?

After a bit of research, it seems DickBlick carries a number of films that might get the job done, though suggestions on a specific brand, material or overall method would be greatly appreciated.

E: not to mention that a lot of the films for sale seem to be rather steep in price for single-use.

Roy Liechtenstein made his ben-day dots by placing a metal screen over the canvas, than running a paintbrush (maybe it was even a toothbrush idk) over the screen.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

butts! posted:

I'm really and honestly trying to think of a scenario where you need to cram study for figure drawing.

You are a dadaist kidnapped by students from the French academy. They are holding a gun to your head and if you do not draw academically they will beard your heart.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Rythe posted:

Kind of a silly question that I could not find doing a bit of Google searching. I was given a Torin Black Jack 2 1/2 ton low profile hydraulic jack a few years back and in a recent move the cup the frame of the car rest on has gone missing. I have tried to Google up a replacement part/part # with no luck. Does anybody know a good resource for finding a missing part like that?

That's a good question, how does one find the part that's missing? How does one find the aspect of self who's absence prevents the realization of self? I suppose that what you're really asking is a question of identity, and luckily postmodernism has had a pretty though exploration of the subject by now.

(This is the art forum, you should ask Automotive Insanity.)

you could also try this thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 2, 2012

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

melon cat posted:

Can anyone recommend any good tutorials on how to crop an image in Photoshop CS5 and not suck? It's something I could never do very well. All of my cropped images end up very... jagged. And odd-looking. I'm trying to cut someone out of a digital photo and adding them onto a landscape and I'm hitting a roadblock.

You want to use layer masks rather than using the marquee or eraser tool.
http://photoshoptips.net/2006/07/25/layer-masks/

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

silversiren posted:

Is there a way in GIMP2 where I can see a resized version of the zoomed in image I am working on without having to zoom in and out and in and out and in and out a billion times?

I do pixel avatars for Furcadia (yes ha ha whatever but it makes me money) and the program that comes with Furcadia allows me to see the image in what would be its original size in game, so it's easy to see if I've made a mistake in the coloring.

The only problem with the editing program from Furcadia is that it has a very, very limited color palette so I've been trying to color them in GIMP. It's very time consuming having to zoom in and out every couple of seconds to see how the coloring is coming along.

I've never used gimp, but in photoshop It's pretty easy to do it like so, and since GIMP is a freeware nockoff of photoshop there's probably a similar way to do it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Do I need to do anything special to preserve a sanguine chalk drawing, or can I just put in in a frame? I'd like to avoid using fixatiff if I could.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Hey so I was volunteered to paint a mural for a local nonprofit and I'm freaking out about it a little bit. My only experience with mural work was working on a small part of one as part of a college class. Luckily it's not supposed to be a huge one (one wall of a portable) but I still have no idea where to start or what to do here. I was thinking of just making a design, gridding it out and enlarging it that way but I would really appreciate if anyone knew any good resources\tutorials\what have you for the more technical aspects painting it.

E: turns out its not really a mural, but just randomly painting sea critters to decorate the wall between exhibits. I guess I can stop freaking out now :v:

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 19, 2013

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

God Over Djinn posted:

Is it inherently offensive for me (a white person) to write a story where the narrator speaks in AAVE? Or just if it's inaccurate/over the top 'Law' sakes I gotta get me some co'nbread' poo poo? As a linguist I think I can do a reasonably accurate toned-down AAVE that comes through in writing, but I don't know if it'd be offensive just on principle.

I wouldn't say inherently but it could very, very easily be construed as a racist mockery if not handled absolutely perfectly. Honestly I wouldn't do it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

So I've been thinking about doing commissions but I don't really know how to do that thing. I was wondering if someone had a guide (or just general advice) or something that they could link me.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Has anyone used https://artistsnclients.com/ before? I need to start up doing comissions and the site seems like it would be really convenient but I've never heard of it until today.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Photoshop cs5 is being a butt with the paintbrush tool, and I don't know how to fix it or what's causing it

Basically the brush is being rendered as a series of transparent circles rather than a smooth gradation, creating a scalloped effect (easiest to see at the ends of the letters). The brush window off to the side also isn't reflecting the brush settings but I don't know if that's related.

This is what happens if you play with the size jitter

It's kinda neat looking at least :shobon:

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 1, 2014

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

Turn your spacing down.

:doh: Thanks (plus that's what the size jitter is supposed to do apparently), I've been having a bit of a brain fart today I guess.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Detective Thompson posted:

What do I need to look out for in a good set of watercolors?

Well, each brand has different qualities, but generally you get what you pay for. Here's a site with a breakdown of things to look for. I use Sakura pan paints for sketching and Daniel smith for everything else (mostly because I inherited a bunch of them :v: ). Windsor and Newton is generally considered the best but of course is v. expensive. Anything "student quality" is hot garbage and a wast of time, though, even if you're trying to save money.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 26, 2014

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I might be blind or really bad at forum search but there used to be a megathread in either this forum or in the Business Finance Careers forum that was dedicated to self-published erotica/romance as a business. I can't find it for the life of me. Was it gassed and all discussion nixed? It was pretty popular and there were a whole bunch of goons doing it, I can't imagine it just died off of its own accord.

It was also a gigantic ball of drama so it's gone, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I kinda want to start uploading speedpainting vids to youtube, but I have literally no experience with video or audio editing. What's some good freeware software for it? (I use OBS for screen recording right now).
Does anyone have any experience with screencast-o-matic?