Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Right on with the new thread. You can put me down in San Francisco (even though I'm Oakland!!!)

I spin funk, soul, and hip-hop mainly.

The only permanent hosted mix I got right now is here, I got second place:
http://rockstargames.com/upload/

As a side note, I've been working on some experimental poo poo lately and I hope to have some new mixes up real soon. I've been really into playing fast dance 45s at 33. Basically, I'm trying to make screw tapes in all different genres, with a focus on faster dance poo poo like DnB and 80's new wave. It's a little weird, so I'm hoping to run some mixes by ya'll first, before weirding out a party here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

jonmitz posted:

Dubstep is getting more popular, but I don't know anyone (IRL) other than myself who knows what it is.
I know this is a little sidetrack, but just to share a dubstep anecdote. I have a regular DJ gig at a local dive bar, and it's real low-key. Most times I do a soul night, but if people are asking for hip-hop I'll do that and some dance stuff. 2 weeks ago, I was playing mainly soul and some african stuff, and 3 separate people came up to me, asking for dubstep. They all responded to the Afro-beat stuff and came up one by one over an hour asking for dubstep! I think that poo poo is getting way bigger than you'd think...

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

vanilla slimfast posted:

I think I will probably do a pure underground hiphop set at some point in the near future here. I play it a lot mixed in with downtempo and brokenbeats and other genres in the neighboring BPM ranges.

Right on. I just started DJing for a hip-hop group, so I'm back in the habit of doing some hip-hop sets. I'll put together a 'golden era' mix soon

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

ShoodZ posted:

A full-on minimal mix I did the other day. The tunes are all intended for the peak of the party. Turn it up loud or it won't sound good.

I'll post the tracklist on request but it's a bitch to figure out what I played, as most of the tracks are quite fresh

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54659775b49425e2/

This is pretty fuckin hot. I'm not the biggest techno guy, but I love minimal techno, and this is really great. The transitions are real clean and selection is nice.

What is the track that plays at 8:00 ? That poo poo is ridiculous. I'd love to get some great minimal techno that was pressed at 45 so I can play it slow. If you got some good recommendations on 12-inch minimal techno pressed at 45, please let me know!

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Dance Move Burglar posted:

minimal techno... SLOWER? it already ranges 120-130, how much slower do you want to play it?

Dude you have no idea my mad scientist masterpiece in the works. I've been obsessed with Screw tapes, where he's playing hip-hop super loving slow. So I'm experimenting with that poo poo in all genres. I've been lots of stuff in the 130-140 range, slowed down, and it works GREAT. I'm mainly a hip-hop guy, so figure I've got a lot of tracks in my crates that are like 80 bpm!

I need to get a set together, but I've been super busy with gigs lately...

JohnnyRed fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 3, 2009

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
I just tried with Kraftwerk - Aerodynamik Alex Gopher Remix and it was super fun. I'll upload a test blend later tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

JimmyJazz posted:

50minutes downtempo/trip-hop

Ulrich Schnauss - Between Us and Them
Broken Spindles - Induction
Aphex Twin - Ageispolis
Mr. Scruff - Travelogue
Boards of Canada - spectrum
Groove Armada - Lazy Moon
Velours Perfect - Old Pirate
Joey Fehrenbach - Being Around You
Jon Kennedy - Never Wed an Old Man
Amon Tobin - Mighty Micro People
Robert Miles - Pour Te Parler
Thievery Corporation - The Foundation
Kettel - Michael Space Airlines
Teargas & Plateglass - The Seduction of Canned Laughter
Boom Bip - U R Here
Hystereo - Velocity
Weathertunes - Fragrant Flower
ISAN - Seven Mile Marker
Bonobo - Ketto

i usually mix electro so this is a new one for me. criticism appreciated

Downloading now, this looks right up my alley. This is the type of stuff I got started DJing. Who plays Groove Armada and Boom Bip anymore?!? Anyway, I'll post comments later on

• Locked thread