Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Add me to the san francisco list. I spin UK Hardcore, psytrance and progressive.

Edit: Hey JohnnyRed, I'm in Berkeley. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Who said you had to pre-plan anything? Just write down the keys (and BPMs if necessary) of all your tracks and then either memorize or bring with you a circle of fifths. No pre-planning required.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
I finally have a working computer in my room and to celebrate this I quickly dashed out my first psytrance mix! This is a quickie and I will probably incorporate it into a later full-length mix which will actually be recorded in stereo this time! (drat you audacity for defaulting to mono)

Shiranui - Untitled (Psy #1)
Genre: Psytrance
Length: 0:41:10
BPM: 150

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rfm/shortpsymix.mp3

1. Paraforce - "Shiva Tandiva" (From "Deep Forest", Geomagnetic.tv)
2. Faxi Nadu - "I am the night" (From "Modern Knight", Digital Drugs)
3. Penta - "Vegetarian Ballad" (From "Portuguese Abduction", Auraquake)
4. Kindzadza - "Superstrings" (From "Waves From Inner Space", Osom Music)
5. C.P.U. (On Acid!) vs Neko - "Roller Toaster" (From "Digital Drugs 3: Shape The Machine")
6. Highko vs Chromatone - "Double Milk Vaio" (From "Poison Brothers Making Noise", Noise Poison)
7. Goe - "Jupiter Beach" - Enertopia Remix (From "Divine", Geomagnetic.tv)
8. Raz - "No Limits In Your Mind" (From "Desert Dreaming part 1: Sunset", Geomagnetic.tv)

Bay area artists and Geomagnetic.tv are overrepresented here because they give away/sell for cheap their CDs at all the psytrance parties in the bay area. I'm working on diversifying :)

The mix is mostly dark, starting with a more progressive mix of deeper, grittier stuff, moving to the glitchy/driving side and finishing off with melodic fullon. Tell me what you think of it :)

Someone made a comment in the last thread about psytrance mixes being boring compared to other mixes (or, more specifically, "I can't tell the difference between a good psytrance mix and a bad psytrance mix").Well, after spending a while fooling around in the genre I've figured out why.
Psytrance producers really don't make it easy. It's very common to have a short intro and outro wrapping 5-7 solid minutes of "meat". It's also common to change phrasing and even just skip measures (some tracks even skip single beats). For a frustrating example, listen to the first half or so of "Psycho" by Infected Mushroom. I don't think it sticks to any kind of phrasing at all. Also, the intros tend to be very disagreeable, often having a very long ambient section before just jumping right into 16 bars of beat and then starting the main melody. Even more frustrating, on some tracks the first beat is halfway through a phrase, or even halfway through a measure and you're never going to figure this out until it's too late.

Sometimes I feel like making edits in all of my psytrance tracks so that they're easier to mix but that feels like cheating.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
(mix submitted to DI, will repost if they reject it)

Dance Move Burglar fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 30, 2009

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
You also can't do spinbacks on the 400s like you can on the 800s and 1000s, it runs out of buffer.

The 400s looked promising but they've got tons of bugs to work out before they'll be worth the money, imo :(

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

jonmitz posted:

Ughh... I would never buy 800s because they are only 0.05. Mixing trance is just too big of a pain in the rear end at anything more than 0.02% (not saying I can't do it, im just used to 0.02 at this point)
The 200s are 0.02 and the 800s aren't? Are you sure? Are you sure it's all 800s and not just the old ones?

Also, My CD setup is 0.1 and it's only slightly irritating, but then again I'm so clumsy that I probably wouldn't be able to make 0.02 adjustments anyway.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
minimal techno... SLOWER? it already ranges 120-130, how much slower do you want to play it?

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Traktor is about as simple as it gets.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
I have a mix with that track in it and the following track is "Fearless Funk" by Hustle Athletics

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
there are only two ways to get around kick drum phasing that I've found.

a) beatmatch absolutely perfectly
b) never have the two tracks' bass levels too close (always have one almost all the way up and the other almost all the way down).

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

chrix posted:

I like that they included a "lite" version of the filter, but aside from the filter and XLR output, what does this mixer have that the $200 Denon X100 doesn't have?
Quality? A&H mixers are very very well-made, if a bit fragile.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

cum in my meowth posted:

I'd kill a dude for more psytrance- and jungle-mixes. esp for former with some spugedelic :swoon:
Honestly I don't think you get much more out of a psytrance mix than you would out of the individual tracks.

A lot of psytrance just doesn't mix well. The tracks are designed to be mixed in at the very beginning and mixed out at the very end, but the stuff in the middle just isn't that mix-friendly.

I'll make a CD-length psytrance mix soon though :)

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Rotary faders are optional on the xone 92 though :confused:

And Pioneer makes a rotary fader kit for the 800 too.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
If anything I'd want to split the bass into two more bands (audible bass and sub-bass), not the mid.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Threatis posted:

8 tracks in 40 minutes?
You'd think it was a psytrance mix or something!

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Psytrance is the worst of both worlds--tracks are really long (usually 7-9 minutes but sometimes as long as 11 or 12), and you can't really blend them for longer than a minute or two because there's usually too much going on for most of the track.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Ben and Stew posted:

Yeah psytrance can be pretty tough because pretty much every song starts with a rolling bassline + kick. If you take a decently resonant high-pass filter and put it over said bass and kick though it makes a kind of squelchy acid noise that you can put over another track until a simultaneous breakdown occurs and then you relase the filter to start the track.

P.S. I'm going to ULTRA in Miami this weekend and it's gonna be sick.
Some psy is even worse. For example, just about any track by Kindzadza has a glitchout, skipped bar, or extra bar that breaks phrasing just about every minute or two, so unless you're good with looping or can stop and then start the other track very accurately, you're kind of screwed.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

the posted:

Look, the poo poo is totally sloppy. Only a fool would open up the way that you do. Nobody likes the records that you play, alright? It's just completely whack! Face it!
The gently caress is wrong with my mix?

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

mr smiley posted:

the mix into 6am was verging on a good idea but the keys are horribly clashing to an almost cringeworthy point, id consider changing the key.
I hope you're aware that "changing the key" isn't possible on most DJ setups.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
I completely disagree with the idea that most of the tracks you play should be from the past year. I try to be as release date-blind with my mixes as I possibly can, although I'll definitely try to throw in a recently-released track that I think people might not have heard yet.

Lots of people go to parties hoping to hear their favorite track and it's pretty likely that their favorite track is at least a year or two old.

Also, there are a lot of tracks from the past that are very good but for whatever reason never really stuck in people's minds as a classic. It's pretty satisfying when someone says "Hey that track was awesome! Is it unreleased?" And you reply "No, in fact it's ten years old"

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Guys, cut it out, let's all have a big plur hug

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

PLUR!

Now theres a term that needs resurrection!
You can only ressurect things that died :colbert:

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Here's a rough draft of what will eventually be one of my psytrance demos. I just installed mixmeister and holy god is this fun and easy to use. The best part is that I think it's even feasible to do real-time sets with since you can edit the arrangement and automation while it's playing.

Shiranui - Morning mix first draft
Length: 0:46:52
Quality: 192 kbps
Size: 64 Megabytes
Software used: Mixmeister

http://soda.berkeley.edu/~rfm/morning.mp3

Tracklist:

1. Son Kite - Game & Watch
2. Plasmotek - Bubble Boy
3. Goe vs Enertopia - Jupiter Beach
4. Astral Projection - Nilaya (Melicia remix)
5. Artifact 303 - Energy Waves (Positive mix)
6. Astrix - Techno Widows
7. Ajja - Peripheral Visions
8. Mumbo Jumbo - Weird, Sick and Twisted (Cosmosis mix)

Starts with some very uplifting progressive and some "gently caress yeah" fullon, then halfway through switches to deeper psychedelic stuff. The final version of this mix will have a couple more tracks at the beginning (notice the key clash between the first two tracks--I want to start with the son kite track but I'll need some more tracks between it and the next one), as well as a track that I wanted to put on the end but need to find a better copy of (I currently only have a crappy vinyl rip of it).

I like how the mix sounds, but what do you guys think? Does it flow well?

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

look around kid
Who are you calling "kid"?

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Altoidss posted:

Second, I am (secretly) a huge psytrance fan so thanks for that mix dmb
Just call me mmmmmmmmISTER bubble!

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

MrPeanut posted:

techno techno techno
I don't believe that most of the music you are talking about is actually Techno. Please learn what "Techno" means if you're going to be a DJ

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

MrPeanut posted:

I'm using techno as a general term. Sorry but with all the definitions of dance genres techno has been my goto descriptor.
I'm aware of how you are using it. The way in which you are using it is incorrect. "Techno" refers to a specific set of substyles of EDM, not to EDM or electronic music as a whole.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
To be fair, a lot of people outside the EDM scene refer to all EDM (or more narrowly, all 4-beat EDM) as "techno".

However, we are not outside the EDM scene right now.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Doctor Nick posted:

ishkur's guide
This piece of crap is full of ridiculous inaccuracies and biases and I think I may in fact have already pointed it out earlier in this thread. Read its description of progressive trance for a good idea of how bad it is

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Doctor Nick posted:

ok, i'll disregard it

can you point to a guide that's not crap?
There isn't really one single accepted division of genres, really, so I don't know if I really can.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Threatis posted:

he paints prog trance as poo poo, dont see the problem here.
:ssj: "Greece 2000", "Gouryella" and "Flaming June" are immune to criticism, sir.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
just so you know beatport et al aren't quite reliable with their genre namings

for example, "The Bass" by Sander Van Doorn was released on a few different labels, and it's listed as techno on one label, progressive trance on another, and electro house on another

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Alright here we go, I finally finished that mix, here's a much less rough version filled out to a full hour

Shiranui - Untitled #3
* Date: April 8 2009
* Genre: Melodic Goa/Melodic Psytrance
* Length: 0:58:16
* Format: 192 MP3
* File size: 80 Megabytes
* Equipment used: Mixmeister

Tracklist:
1. Son Kite - Game & Watch [Digital Structures - 2004]
2. Helios, Chromatone & Random - Burrito Envy [Geomagnetic.TV - 2007]
3. Afgin - From The Heart [Suntrip Records - 2008]
4. Plasmotek - Bubble Boy [Mandala Records - 2008]
5. Goe - Jupiter Beach (Enertopia remix) [Geomagnetic.TV - 2008]
6. Astral Projection - Nilaya (Melicia remix) [Transient / Phonokol - 2004]
7. Artifact 303 - Energy Waves (Positive mix) [Suntrip Records - 2008]
8. Astrix - Techno Widows [HOM-mega / Vision Quest / Tokyo Dance - 2004]
9. Ajja - Peripheral Visions [Synchronize Records - 2007]
10. Mumbo Jumbo - Weird, Sick and Twisted (Cosmosis mix) [Transient Records - 2002]
11. Hallucinogen - Jiggle of the Sphinx [Twisted Records - 1997]

http://soda.berkeley.edu/~rfm/Shiranui%20-%20Untitled3.mp3

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Rivfader posted:

This is related to the fact that most people with little knowledge on the subject beforehand will label almost anything as "house" or "techno".
I think depending on what region you're in, some people might not even know what "house" is and are more likely to call it "trance"

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

stun runner posted:

You guys both have crappy attitudes and this derail is awful
I agree

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Here's what I played at Camp Apex on saturday night

Title: Shiranui - Nocturnal Apex
Link: http://soda.berkeley.edu/~rfm/Shiranui%20-%20Nocturnal%20Apex.mp3
Length: 50:21

Tracklist:

Part 1 (newer night psytrance)
1. Plasmotek - Gargamelized ["Lifted" - Mandala 2008]
2. Penta - BBQ ["Portuguese Abduction" - AuraQuake 2007]
3. Mubali - Artificial Freaks ["Shenanigans" - Trishula 2008]
4. Ajja - We Are All Aliens ["Psychogenica" - Synchronize 2008]
5. Etienne - Dark Magic (Meta remix) ["Ekstasis" - Acidance / Geo-Darkstar 2007]

Part 2 (classic goa-ish tracks)
6. Juno Reactor - Feel The Universe ["Beyond The Infinite" - Various Labels]
7. Infected Mushroom - Tommy The Bat ["The Gathering" - YoYo 1999]
8. Hallucinogen - Gamma Goblins part 2 ["The Lone Deranger" - Twisted 1997]
9. 1200 Micrograms - Hashish ["1200 Micrograms" - TIP World 2002]

Encore (random fullon track I felt like playing because I had time left in my slot)
10. Psysex - Alien Cop (Goblin rmx) ["Nu-Clear Visions Of Israel" - TIP World 2003]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Altoidss posted:

i just don't understand how you can only play 13 tracks in 77 minutes but that might be cause my genre of music doesn't lend itself well to long mixes

i get bored if I let more than one break per track play
Can everyone shut up about this I think it's been well-established that trance mixes tend to be long.

• Locked thread