Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Discount_Bees posted:

Is there a preferred holster for the ppk/s?

A trashbag. Because that's what you put garbage in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

lilspooky posted:

Just picked up an M8. Can you recommend a good holster for it?
Try the Park Cities P7 Cult, they have threads about several different P7 holsters, some new to the market because of the recent surge of police trade-ins.

mas
Jun 4, 2004
Proud Member of the Al Jourgensen Fanclub Have you done heroin while wearing a huge cowboy hat today?

On the belt subject; I carry a full size CZ-75 .40 in an MTAC on a Dickies brand belt I got at a shoe store for $15 I think. It's single layer, thick and too stiff to bend over with my bare hands. My gun never moves. It gets a bit heavy though after walking around stores and such for awhile so I've been thinking of getting a 9mm instead.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I use a Galco leather IWB holster for my Sig229, I like it but I think will upgrade to the MTAC.

I am in a very annoying position however. I am a federal LEO, but my branch (coast guard) has no off duty carry policy. I carry off duty with both my state LTC, and if I'm out of state, the LEOSA (18USC926(b)). So legally I'm covered, but I feel like if I was ever in a situation where I had to use it, my LE training would kick in and that would take precedence. It's tough because I'm trained, and am told to put this training into effect, but as pretty much a civilian off duty, I'm not supposed to act on the training.

Bottom line I'm going to shoot in a situation where I think I can save someones life, or reasonably prevent a felony, but it might get me in the dog house.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

kwantam posted:

No, but I was thinking of joining at some point. Lately I've been shooting at Red's because I got a shiny new membership from a v.v. generous benefactor.

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic, but you have e-mail disabled in your profile. Drop me a line. I almost got the Red's membership but for the price, ARC just made sense (although I'd gladly do a year at Red's for free). I miss the powered-targets, but I've also shot a lot more than paper at ARC

Back on topic, ARC is a local club that has a range (austinrifleclub.org) -- they teach some great supplementary CHL classes. Not classes for the license that is, but training after-the-fact.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

kwantam posted:

Perhaps some people in this thread would care to chime in on where they got their CHL/CCW/CCP/(whatever your state calls it) training, for the sake of those who are just getting started.

Did mine at Top Gun Range in Houston back in late June, with Dan Blackford (former Secret Service guy, awesome dude) as the instructor.

Finally got my permit the Monday before Christmas (thanks, Hurricane Ike!).

Mr. Coconut
Jun 18, 2003
I like coconuts

I carry a Kahr PM9 in a CTAC. When I carry, that is, which isn't often since it's illegal in my line of work. It's a 9mm DAO that is small and very concealable, which is helpful in my climate (South Florida). I can hide that thing pretty well, and if I have to, I can have it in a little leather pocket holster. I do insist on a holster since there is no external safety other than the trigger.

It's really a very nice gun, and the recoil is tolerable. For me, it's an ideal carry gun. It's one of relatively few that I can hide well enough in the summer without having to wear more clothes than I'd otherwise do.

Discount_Bees
Aug 1, 2007

How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

HotCanadianChick posted:

A trashbag. Because that's what you put garbage in.

Thanks! Ill get right on that.

ArmaliteSpade
Apr 4, 2008

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Discount_Bees posted:

Is there a preferred holster for the ppk/s?

And the crimson trace shouldn't make a difference in the fit of the holster should it?

I have a CTAC for mine, no CT though so I can't answer that.

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

lilspooky posted:

Just picked up an M8. Can you recommend a good holster for it?

I can't personally recommend the MTAC because I just bought one and haven't used it yet, but others rave about it. Their lead time is about 10 days right now.

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

AR posted:

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic, but you have e-mail disabled in your profile. Drop me a line.

It would appear that it's been universally disabled. Email me at (my SA username) at gmail dot com. Mebbe we should see about getting an Austin goon meet going. Heh, we could meet up at the pre-inauguration Saxet gun show insanity in a couple weeks...

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

Elendil004 posted:

Bottom line I'm going to shoot in a situation where I think I can save someones life, or reasonably prevent a felony, but it might get me in the dog house.

If you're in TX you might be okay---the law says (more or less) force is authorized in defense of a third party any time it would be authorized in your defense. There are also provisions for force in prevention of property crimes, but they are different for "in progress" versus "just committed." For example, you can shoot an arsonist who is in the process of setting a fire, but once he's set it you can't shoot him while he's running away.

kwantam fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 8, 2009

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

kwantam posted:

I can't personally recommend the MTAC because I just bought one and haven't used it yet, but others rave about it. Their lead time is about 10 days right now.

Ok this might be a stupid question, but I could swear I recall that there are some differences between the PSP and the M8 that make them incompatible holster wise. From what I saw at MTAC's site, unless I missed it, they only make holsters for the PSP. Am I just completely off on this point and a PSP holster will work with the M8?

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

lilspooky posted:

Ok this might be a stupid question, but I could swear I recall that there are some differences between the PSP and the M8 that make them incompatible holster wise. From what I saw at MTAC's site, unless I missed it, they only make holsters for the PSP. Am I just completely off on this point and a PSP holster will work with the M8?

Not stupid at all, it's a very fair point. I hadn't noticed that.

Call them up and ask; their staff is friendly and seems reasonably knowledgeable. Judging from the pictures, the mag release seems like it shouldn't get in the way, but I'm betting they've gotten this question many times before.

edwardsdl
Dec 25, 2004
My roommate bought me this account but is too cheap for an avatar.

Merry Christmas

kwantam posted:

Perhaps some people in this thread would care to chime in on where they got their CHL/CCW/CCP/(whatever your state calls it) training, for the sake of those who are just getting started.

I've been looking around for a place to take the training course while I save up for my Glock. If your state requires an NRA approved course (maybe they all do - I don't know honestly) you can check out the NRA Course Locator. The list is far from complete though; I found a course at a local range in the Range Reports! thread.

Finally, I found this site not long ago. It's provides lots of legal information regarding CCW in a concise manner.

Sturdy
Apr 24, 2008

I know this questions has been asked 10000000000000 times, but I have to ask it again

what would be the best option for a concealment holster for a Sig P225/P6?

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Sturdy posted:

I know this questions has been asked 10000000000000 times, but I have to ask it again

what would be the best option for a concealment holster for a Sig P225/P6?

As long as we're talking 'best' I've never seen that question asked without MTAC being the general consensus. As for a 225-specific holster though, I'm not sure.

skitzed
Oct 8, 2004
I don't know what I'm doing.

What's the general consensus on the Comp-Tac kydex reinforced belts?

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=43

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

I'm a tiny 120 lb chick. Should I just jam mine into my wussy chick purse or is there another recommended way for women to conceal carry?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Imk posted:

I'm a tiny 120 lb chick. Should I just jam mine into my wussy chick purse or is there another recommended way for women to conceal carry?

http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/purse.aspx

Cogito Ergo Sam
Mar 27, 2007
I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny humping a balloon.

Imk posted:

Purse carry is almost universally considered a bad idea. If someone grabs it and runs, they now have your wallet AND a firearm. Plus, it would likely be hard to find quickly in a situation where its needed if you have a lot of stuff in it, and you also don't want any accidental discharges if a pen or something winds up through the trigger guard.

I don't have any personal experience with women in particular that carry concealed, but I'm assuming that it wouldn't always be that different from what a guy of similar stature would be recommended, depending on wardrobe. Pocket carry can work with a small revolver or pocket 380, or if you're wearing jeans and a long enough shirt you would probably be fine with the IWB recommendations made for most people here.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Imk posted:

I don't have any good suggestions, but I will tell you that purse carry is kind of frowned upon around here. A thief is probably after your purse, so he'll get your money and your protection.

I know that men's and women's styles are pretty different and so this may not mean much to you. But, I'm a small dude (5'10" 140lbs) who wears tighter clothing and can conceal a glock 19 reasonably well. I think most people here will tell you that you will be surprised what you can hide with a good holster.

Kodo Zoku
Mar 6, 2008

Imk posted:

I don't know your wardrobe so it's hard to say what your options for cc are. If you mostly wear dresses, then most holsters are out, and the purse seems like the way to go. I know more than one woman who keeps their (small) gun in their bra, but I've never seen a bra-specific holster and have no idea about how easy / hard it is to draw a gun out of your tits. If you do wear dresses a lot, in situations where you wouldn't have your purse I guess a thigh holster would be best, but again I don't have any direct experience with these.

It would probably be best to head to a gun show and talk to a fellow gun totin' female.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Is there a TFR recommended method of CCW on a motorcycle?

I'm currently not carrying my recently acquired Glock 27 due to the combination of cheap lovely belt and marginal galco IWB holster. I think a better belt would make it serviceable, so I have both belt and MTAC on order.

I worry about having a big chunk of metal and plastic at 4 o'clock should I go sliding down the pavement, and while I think shoulder carry might be a better idea, I'd love to hear the opinions of more experienced people.

Also, pistol classes/training in the PNW, specifically in the burlington/bellingham/oak harbor area. I'll go further if it's good, but those are already a long rear end ferry ride for me.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

drzrma posted:

I'm currently not carrying my recently acquired Glock 27 due to the combination of cheap lovely belt and marginal galco IWB holster. I think a better belt would make it serviceable, so I have both belt and MTAC on order.

I worry about having a big chunk of metal and plastic at 4 o'clock should I go sliding down the pavement, and while I think shoulder carry might be a better idea, I'd love to hear the opinions of more experienced people.

Also, pistol classes/training in the PNW, specifically in the burlington/bellingham/oak harbor area. I'll go further if it's good, but those are already a long rear end ferry ride for me.

The whole sliding with a chunk of metal on your back was something that concerned me as well. Since you're asking, I assume you also ride a bike with no bags or trunks? My plan of action for carrying on my bike is to throw it in my back pack, which I usually have with me anyway.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

drzrma posted:

The somewhat inaccurately-named Firearms Academy of Seattle offers several courses that I've heard good things about. Their main facility is way the gently caress down on Onalaska, though most of their handgun courses are also offered at their other facility up in Arlingon.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

CoolBlue posted:

The whole sliding with a chunk of metal on your back was something that concerned me as well. Since you're asking, I assume you also ride a bike with no bags or trunks? My plan of action for carrying on my bike is to throw it in my back pack, which I usually have with me anyway.

The drz only has the silly little toolbag on the rear fender, and while the vfr does have locking bags, they are only fiberglass. I don't ride with a bag or backpack on me if I can avoid it.

For the same reason I keep my cell phone on my person, I'd prefer to keep the gun on my person. I'd hate to end up in a ditch somewhere with my cell phone in my tank bag somewhere just out of reach.

I may end up borrowing or purchasing a shoulder rig and see how it feels, it'll either work and feel better or not. Falling down sucks no matter what, it's something we all accept when we ride, in reality I don't know how much of a difference what we are carrying at the time will make.

Thanks Helter Skelter, I'll check them out.

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

Imk posted:

Echoing others here: purse carry isn't the best. How do you usually dress?

If you're talking jeans and t-shirt, a compact should work SOB or IWB for you. Skirts and dresses make things much more complicated, but I have seen holsters for what you might call "garter carry," i.e., on the thigh.

Generally this would involve a garter belt inside the waistband of your dress or skirt with a holster on a garter secured to said belt. Some of them go without the belt, but this would worry me a little bit. Galco makes a cheap one that may or may not be any good (never used it); additional googling for "garter holster" or "thigh holster" will likely turn up others.

drzrma posted:

I'd recommend avoiding anything around the waistband, especially SOB or kidney. Generally any metal around your body should be avoided---even people with surgical pins are advised to stay away from bikes---so I'd try to offload it onto a bike holster. I think the best on-body option would be ankle carry, but honestly even this feels kind of risky.

Comedy option: just get a lever action shotgun for your bike and learn to spin-cock it like Ahnold in T2.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.

Fan of Britches

drzrma posted:

The correct comedy option is to open carry when riding.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

I knew I had taken a wrong turn in my thinking somewhere.

Eventually I'll find a sling that works with my sks and ride around with it on the drz for shits, giggles, and avatar material. I'm honestly not sure if I'd get pictures of the deputies posing with me, or arresting me. LE is kind of random on this island paradise.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

drzrma posted:

I knew I had taken a wrong turn in my thinking somewhere.
Eventually I'll find a sling that works with my sks and ride around with it on the drz for shits, giggles, and avatar material.

hedgiejugglr
Feb 18, 2007

drzrma posted:

I too ride a motorcycle and I carry my gun at about 8-9 o'clock (left handed) and wear a good belt and use a Comp-tac Infidel holster. I've never had any issues with comfort while riding, in fact I find it more comfortable than when I drive my car.

As for the big chunk of metal and plastic on your hip when you fall...I would say expect some damage to the finish and maybe a little blunt trauma to your hip, but your protective gear should be over it and will help to reduce both. And as another person said if you end up going down it is going to suck regardless.

The big reason I don't stash my gun in my luggage or backpack is that I don't like the idea of off body carry. To me it is like purse carry. There is too great of chance that someone will take it. The reason I say this is that I ride a sport bike with after market saddlebags and a tank bag. They do not lock so if I stop to get fuel, a quick snack, or go in a restaurant then my gun is sitting unsecured in my bags for anyone to take. Needless to say that is a very bad and dangerous situation.

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

king of the bongo posted:

Haha, this is so awesome.

IMK, if we had pictures of you in your everyday atire we might be able to offer more helpful suggestions. Need multiple angles to determine position. Possibly "layered" photos, starting with the most basic clothing you wear under your outer clothing, to see if we can figure out a way to put a holster on. Yes.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

To contribute to the good of the order:

I carry a pre-lock S&W model 60 (5-shot stainless .357, shrouded hammer) in a leather Dan Blocker IWB holster. The holster is pretty meh, but it was cheap and it holds the gun where I want it. I used to just clip in onto my jeans, but since I got made by an old man (fortunately a cool one) a few months ago, I've started throwing a decently stiff, $20 Levi's belt around my waist before clipping on the gun. Thanks as always, TFR, for browbeating me into more sensible practices. The belt really does make it feel more secure (I had originally denied this), and I haven't been made since.

I load the gun with Hornady Leverevolution. I know it's not fancy-pantsy approved defensive ammo, but it's what I could find around here, and it's a Hornady bullet and I tend to trust their products implicitly. If they made TAP in .357 I'd carry that, but in the meantime this stuff seems to have pretty awesome terminal performance, so I don't complain. I carry the gun at about 4 o'clock with a slight forward cant, and I carry two HKS speedloaders in my left front pocket. I can load with them pretty quickly since I have practiced a little bit. Speedloader holders are something I'm interested in, but haven't got around to buying yet.

I dry-fire the gun a LOT to make sure I know the double-action pull by heart. At the range I train with it two-handed, and one-handed with both my strong and weak hands. Of course I usually do this with .38spl because what am I, made of money? I've thrown a couple cylinders of my defensive ammo through it, though, and the recoil difference is noticeable but not a deal-breaker. (One reason I like the revolver for carry is that I can be confident in the reliability of my ammo after ten rounds, not two hundred.) I shoot beer-coaster groups at ten yards slow-fire and paper plates rapid-fire. I think this is fine for defensive use.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Imk posted:

Might wanna give this lady's videos a look.

http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Funny story, also a crosspost from the ask a cop thread. I went into the PD to fill out the paperwork and the cop's asking me all the questions. I'd told him before that I was coast guard and stuff but that was over the phone so I think he forgot, didn't put 2 and 2 together.

So he's going down the list,

"Are you a felon"
No
"Have you ever been turned down for a liscense"
No
"Do you have any drug convictions"
Well...
His eyes dart up and start to get wide then I laugh and finish my sentense
I do have one as the arresting officer.

So I tell him the story of the 8,000 kilo coke bust I was involved in, he's cracking up the whole time because it was pretty funny. We ended up shooting a dog who was OD'ing, I got exposed to pure coke in the processes of breaking down a wall, few other things.

He ends up opening the door and yelling for two other cops and I end up telling the story over again to a packed room of local PD. I wanted to ask them if there was anyone out answering calls

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

drzrma posted:

The drz only has the silly little toolbag on the rear fender, and while the vfr does have locking bags, they are only fiberglass. I don't ride with a bag or backpack on me if I can avoid it.

For the same reason I keep my cell phone on my person, I'd prefer to keep the gun on my person. I'd hate to end up in a ditch somewhere with my cell phone in my tank bag somewhere just out of reach.

I may end up borrowing or purchasing a shoulder rig and see how it feels, it'll either work and feel better or not. Falling down sucks no matter what, it's something we all accept when we ride, in reality I don't know how much of a difference what we are carrying at the time will make.

Thanks Helter Skelter, I'll check them out.

I understand your reasoning for wanting the gun on your person. Honestly, if you carried it IWB at 4 o'clock the gun would probably take most of the beating, assuming you aren't going fast enough to burn through your belt and the gun rips off. I think I'd rather have it on my rear end then under my shoulder.

rasputin handshake
Dec 25, 2005

Hello, WIP? Am I on?

Ferrett posted:

I have an HK45c that I'd love to CCW if Comp-Tac would get around to making an MTAC for it, since that's what I use for my Sig and my G26. Anyone know of any other decent carry rig for a 45c?

Comp-Tac does offer an MTAC for the 45c here

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019

Ultra Carp

mrbill posted:

Finally got my permit the Monday before Christmas (thanks, Hurricane Ike!).

I took mine around the same time, and I'm still waiting on my permit. I wrote my state representatives and about four days later I got a call from DPS. They apologized profusely for the delay, told me they had personally called Trooper So-and-so in Harris County and promised to overnight my permit as soon as it is complete.I think my elected official lit a fire under someone's arse. I was impressed, but here I am three weeks later wondering where the hell my permit is.

I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to stir the pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

RE everyone who asked, I see how purse carrying's a lovely idea. I rarely wear skirts or dresses or anything- usually jeans and some sort of blouse or something that goes halfway down my thighs, so IWB would probably be my best bet.

• Locked thread