Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bummey posted:

They have great customer support. This is a prime opportunity to test it.

I still like the roll of cherry lifesavers my dirt Supertuck came with, but smarties also kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

You should demand a package of Canadian smarties instead. Despite them being Canadian, they're better.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Thanks! That could certainly come in handy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

GunForumMeme posted:

This displeases the fat kid in me.

What'd you end up getting?

Paddle holster for my P2000sk

Gonna start carrying my subcompact on duty like a boss

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Final Blog Entry posted:

Thanks! That could certainly come in handy.

YouTube also seems to show that Remington Golden Saber 125+p works well. I gave up trying to find those elusive Speer Gold Dots during Baracknarok.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

beanieson posted:

Ordered from comp-tac, received no smarties

1/10 would not buy again

Motherfucker. You're supposed to get candy when you buy from them? That's what I get for buying from midway because it was in stock...

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

snotball007 posted:

YouTube also seems to show that Remington Golden Saber 125+p works well. I gave up trying to find those elusive Speer Gold Dots during Baracknarok.

The +P Bonded is OK, their 147gr non-bonded is good too.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

I'm really torn. I carry my j-frame almost everywhere. It's slightly big sometimes and there are places I'm legally allowed to but don't for fear of printing/being caught carrying. A local shop has an excellent price on safetyless shields, which I've wanted to replace my j-frame with, but I would be left with the same issue I currently have. The same shop also has an amazing price right now on Ruger LCPs. I've wanted an LCP for a long while simply because it would be nice to have an even smaller gun that I could carry everywhere legally allowed.

I'm leaning towards the LCP, but I need advice. I only want to move from a j-frame to Shield for the capacity and reload ease. In that short of barrel I believe .38+p and 9mm to be roughly a wash. I feel like I shoot my j-frame really well, and I have much more time invested in it than the M&P platform as a whole. What do I do?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I'm leaning towards the LCP, but I need advice. I only want to move from a j-frame to Shield for the capacity and reload ease. In that short of barrel I believe .38+p and 9mm to be roughly a wash. I feel like I shoot my j-frame really well, and I have much more time invested in it than the M&P platform as a whole. What do I do?

Get both and dual-wield on opposite hips. Carry spare mags/moon clips, toothpicks, and white doves at 6 o'clock.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I love the LCP, but it is a demanding little fucker when it comes to grip and trigger control. It is not really an everyday gun unless you give far fewer fucks than even I do, but should be the standard can't-carry-a-gun.

I'd vote to keep the J-frame and get an LCP for your invisigun needs with similar sights and trigger to minimize training issues. And worry about a Shield later.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'd vote to keep the J-frame and get an LCP for your invisigun needs with similar sights and trigger to minimize training issues. And worry about a Shield later.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I say get the Shield. 9mm is super manageable from it; nothing at all like .38 +P, especially if it's from an airweight J-frame. Performance-wise, you're probably right. There probably isn't a huge difference. But that's why I'd lean toward the 9mm.

I shoot my Shield in IDPA all the time and I am reasonably competitive with it. It's the best-shooting "pocket" 9mm I've ever fired (compared to a Kahr PM9 and CW9, a Ruger LC9, and a SIG P290).

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

I love my Shield. I even got an Incog for it, which is pretty neat too but god drat 70 bucks.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

The LCP is what carrying concealed ought to be. I haven't put it in the safe (or taken my Glock 26 out of the safe) since the day I bought it because I can throw it in any and every article of clothing I own without a second thought about a belt, or what I'll do at the gym, or whether or not someone's going to see me printing - it just goes in the waistband or pocket in a Remora and disappears, and it does not leave my side.

The factory trigger is mediocre, but far from the poo poo show a lot of people make it out to be. I have a Galloway Precision trigger kit in mine and the take up and overtravel are gone, Talon Grips and 13# recoil springs make it ridiculously shootable. You also won't have trouble finding the two or three loads worth carrying in stock.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'd take a Glock 42 as an only carry gun over an LCP. Still pretty drat small but with real sights, far lower recoil, at least as good trigger (I like the LCP trigger), and it doesn't try to buck out of your grip.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

Who makes the best IWB holsters?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Many companies make good to excellent IWB holsters and it boils down to personal preference from a reputable maker.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'd take a Glock 42 as an only carry gun over an LCP. Still pretty drat small but with real sights, far lower recoil, at least as good trigger (I like the LCP trigger), and it doesn't try to buck out of your grip.

agreed

I love my G42 a hell of a lot more than the revised LCP (actual sights and a precocked DA trigger)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Pimp Drakula posted:

The LCP is what carrying concealed ought to be. I haven't put it in the safe (or taken my Glock 26 out of the safe) since the day I bought it because I can throw it in any and every article of clothing I own without a second thought about a belt, or what I'll do at the gym, or whether or not someone's going to see me printing - it just goes in the waistband or pocket in a Remora and disappears, and it does not leave my side.

The factory trigger is mediocre, but far from the poo poo show a lot of people make it out to be. I have a Galloway Precision trigger kit in mine and the take up and overtravel are gone, Talon Grips and 13# recoil springs make it ridiculously shootable. You also won't have trouble finding the two or three loads worth carrying in stock.
One of the biggest things going for the pocket 380s is how easy they are to just pick up and conceal. They manage to be a bit easier to conceal than an airweight j-frame and those fuckers are already super easy. Really the only gripes I had on the Bodyguard 380 were the long trigger pull (which is manageable with practice) and the stupidly tiny safety lever. The G42 solves both of these for me.

The G42 is pushing the size on a 'pocket' gun by juuust a tad but it's still quite manageable so once I get off my rear end and make pocket holster v2 it'll likely be my carry gun 95% of the time. There may be one or two pairs of pants I have where the pockets are too small for me to be comfortable carrying that way but hey there's always iwb.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

thermobollocks posted:

I love my Shield. I even got an Incog for it, which is pretty neat too but god drat 70 bucks.

70 bucks is fairly middle of the road for quality iwb holsters. Unfortunate, but I'm pretty sure my beltman belt and mtac combo for around 190 bucks will outlive me, so you pay for quality.

What features separate aiwb holsters from iwb holsters? I don't see why I couldn't just slide a dale fricke archangel around to 4 o'clock.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Crunkjuice posted:

70 bucks is fairly middle of the road for quality iwb holsters. Unfortunate, but I'm pretty sure my beltman belt and mtac combo for around 190 bucks will outlive me, so you pay for quality.

What features separate aiwb holsters from iwb holsters? I don't see why I couldn't just slide a dale fricke archangel around to 4 o'clock.

Straight drop's a little tough at 4:00 for me. Depends on how you're shaped.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

Butch Cassidy posted:

Many companies make good to excellent IWB holsters and it boils down to personal preference from a reputable maker.

gently caress

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Neo Duckberg posted:

gently caress

But if you're looking for some ideas, I like these, I have other products I like from the makers of these , my friends like these, people say these are all right on a budget and come with a good warranty, these are a little different and very comfortable but ultimately I didn't care for their height and single clip.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Pimp Drakula posted:

But if you're looking for some ideas, I like these, I have other products I like from the makers of these , my friends like these, people say these are all right on a budget and come with a good warranty, these are a little different and very comfortable but ultimately I didn't care for their height and single clip.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Don't forget the MTAC.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

awwww gently caress yeah, my smarties came in from Comp-Tac!

And the poo poo I ordered too but whatever.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

Anywhere I can get an SOB holster made for a P-01 with TLR-1? I'd like to try a different carry method, am fat, and have money to burn.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

SOB?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Small of back, like a gun tramp stamp.

vv Yep. There are arguments against small of back carry, the most commonly cited risk of spinal damage if you fall on it. There are plenty of others, however, usually relating to poor concealment when bending over, in windy environments, sitting in stools or chairs without high backs, etc. All sorts of things will cause it to print as obviously as if you were openly carrying.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 30, 2014

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bummey posted:

Small of back, like a gun tramp stamp.

The small of your back is a bad place to carry since if you are knocked on your rear end you don't want your spine landing on a hunk of metal.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

SG Ammo has those elusive 38 special Gold Dot 135 grain +P in stock that I was asking about a page back. I ordered a couple of 20 round boxes from Bud's over the weekend, and then got the in-stock email from SG today for 50 round boxes, at only $4 more a box.

Oh well, ordered a few boxes from them, because why not? Here's the link if anyone else was looking for these.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/38-special/50-round-box-38-special-p-speer-gold-dot-135-grain-hollow-point-ammo-53921

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

Picked up a box of 50 of them. And a box of Speer GD .357 158 grain. For.. hell, I dunno.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

1) Going on a roadtrip, starting in TN, going through Arkansas to Oklahoma. We may also go to Dallas as well, not sure yet. Anything in particular I need to know about those states with regard to CCW? From what I see, they are the same as TN, except that in AR, OK, and TX I must inform the officer (which I always do anyway). Exverything else seems to be about the same, but I want to make sure.

I'll only be carrying basically when I'm in the car, and it will be concealed OWB.

2) On an unrelated note, man I love my Glock 17, but I am jonesing to get a revolver for CCW. I think a j-frame would disppear IWB, and I'd have cheap practice ammo since I reload. I like my Glock and all, but it feels too big and in the way on my waist no matter what I do. When I want to carry, I go for my LCP* more often as it disappears in my pocket, whereas with the Glock I feel like it's barely concealed. I love it as a pistol, but I think I favor smaller guns. That, and everything else I shoot (handgunwise) is a revolver.

*In fact, the only reason I don't carry it right now is because i have no ammo for it. I'd probably carry it over the Glock on my roadtrip.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Have you looked at a 19, 26, or 42?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

QuarkMartial posted:

2) On an unrelated note, man I love my Glock 17, but I am jonesing to get a revolver for CCW. I think a j-frame would disppear IWB, and I'd have cheap practice ammo since I reload. I like my Glock and all, but it feels too big and in the way on my waist no matter what I do. When I want to carry, I go for my LCP* more often as it disappears in my pocket, whereas with the Glock I feel like it's barely concealed. I love it as a pistol, but I think I favor smaller guns. That, and everything else I shoot (handgunwise) is a revolver.

*In fact, the only reason I don't carry it right now is because i have no ammo for it. I'd probably carry it over the Glock on my roadtrip.

Like a full-size 6 shot revolver? I have sort of considered this a little bit as well, as I shoot my Model 19 incredibly well. I hesitate however because doing stuff like putting tritium sights on revolvers or otherwise making it better suited for carry involves getting help from a smith. for CCW, given that I find lasers and/or tritiums non-negotiable, I tend to go with modern pistols whose sights i can easily replace on my own.

That, plus the issue of capacity, and reloads, sensitivity of revolvers to grime, etc...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Indoflaven: I have. Didn't like the 19, but the 26 seems alright I guess.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Like a full-size 6 shot revolver? I have sort of considered this a little bit as well, as I shoot my Model 19 incredibly well. I hesitate however because doing stuff like putting tritium sights on revolvers or otherwise making it better suited for carry involves getting help from a smith. for CCW, given that I find lasers and/or tritiums non-negotiable, I tend to go with modern pistols whose sights i can easily replace on my own.

That, plus the issue of capacity, and reloads, sensitivity of revolvers to grime, etc...

Having never shot with tritiums, I can't really weigh in on that. It would definitely be a j-frame, though. Maaaaaybe a SP101 as it's not much bigger, though it'd definitely not be pocket carried. The j-frame has IWB/OWB/pocket carry going for it, which makes me lean towards it more.

Then again, a hammerless Ruger or Model 10 would just be tops.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

QuarkMartial posted:

Indoflaven: I have. Didn't like the 19, but the 26 seems alright I guess.

Having never shot with tritiums, I can't really weigh in on that. It would definitely be a j-frame, though. Maaaaaybe a SP101 as it's not much bigger, though it'd definitely not be pocket carried. The j-frame has IWB/OWB/pocket carry going for it, which makes me lean towards it more.

Then again, a hammerless Ruger or Model 10 would just be tops.

I recommend going with an all-steel J frame then. My airweight is probably easier to carry, but it's not fun to shoot and the trigger is awful even after the Apex kit. I know I should take it down and stone the rebound slide +frame surfaces but....meh.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I recommend going with an all-steel J frame then. My airweight is probably easier to carry, but it's not fun to shoot and the trigger is awful even after the Apex kit. I know I should take it down and stone the rebound slide +frame surfaces but....meh.

I had a Model 60 that I got rid of, and I never should have done that... I don't know, I think the smart thing to do would be to get a revolver and just see which one I carry more. It also sort of depends on how this roadtrip goes. I've got a Don Hume OWB holster for it, and I'll just see how it carries and go from there. Who knows, I'm a CCW fence-sitter of sorts.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

QuarkMartial posted:

I had a Model 60 that I got rid of, and I never should have done that... I don't know, I think the smart thing to do would be to get a revolver and just see which one I carry more. It also sort of depends on how this roadtrip goes. I've got a Don Hume OWB holster for it, and I'll just see how it carries and go from there. Who knows, I'm a CCW fence-sitter of sorts.

If it's the JIT model of holster, you're going to love how it carries. Me and IR35 both have great things to say about that holster.

I use a S&W 637 as my primary carry in the summer. Either in a pocket holster or the aforementioned holster.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

The g42 would be a good alternative since it's small and it has the same basic controls & feel as the larger pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

snotball007 posted:

If it's the JIT model of holster, you're going to love how it carries. Me and IR35 both have great things to say about that holster.

I use a S&W 637 as my primary carry in the summer. Either in a pocket holster or the aforementioned holster.

I think it's this one: http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=44
Or one similar to it.

I need to grab a mag carrier before I head out, too.

• Locked thread