Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Came here to post this:

Ophidian posted:

Best CCW gun: G19
Best CCW IWB Holster: Comptac Minotaur (MTAC)

Thread over.

...decided I'd try to answer Zorblack's question.

Zorblack posted:

To start :
I have been thinking about what gun I would like to purchase for baby's first ccw my all day personal protection type gun. Some things I would really like (after listening to some points in another thread) : a gun that can be carried in condition 2 (live round, hammer down) with a DA trigger, a grip safety, low price, rugged reliability. I am but a poor college lad, so I am not adverse to milsurp and used guns, or older guns. Just because it's old doesn't mean it can't still protect right? 9mm is my preferred ammo type because it's inexpensive and available (meaning lots of practice won't bankrupt me), but if anyone would like to toss some ideas in similar ammo types I'm open to suggestion.

Have you had the possible carry options explained to you? I don't know of any guns that match your critera, and some of it sounds really nancy-ish.

Why do you need a grip safety? Why condition 2?

And the last part, your post sounds like DAO, but do you really mean DA/SA as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Fat Ogre posted:

I like my .45 ACP XD

My main gripe against Glocks, besides the grip angle, is that they just have the trigger safety so if anything gets into your trigger guard area when holstering or drawing the gun it could go off. Sure this isn't a big concern but I've heard of enough instances where this happened that I'm not comfortable carrying a Glock for that reason.

So you're not gripping your XD when you draw/holster?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Zorblack posted:

I really haven't had the carry options explained to me, I just looked through the TFR Wiki and saw the different "Conditions of readiness" and condition 2 looked like the best blend of safety and readiness to fire. Also, I mean DA/SA, and what do you mean by "nancy-ish"? (not being defensive, just asking if you think I'm being overly cautious and what things I need to get straight in my mind)

I couldn't really find a better term than 'nancy-ish' at the time. I really meant something more along the lines of "You are really gung-ho on safeties, I don't believe that more safeties really means a 'safer' gun." Not really trying to put you on the defensive, just a poor choice of words :).

I really think you should explore a few different styles of gun and see what you like. The safety system isn't really as important because the real safety is a proper holster and your trigger finger.

That being said, a lot of people don't like condition 2 because that means the first trigger pull (DA) is longer and more difficult than subsequent (SA) pulls. It's hard to train around that.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Southbound 35 posted:

Can someone recommend an alternative to thebeltman? A friend of mine has one of their belts and while it is indeed really stiff, both the leather and buckle look like poo poo in every possible way.

He should have sent it back, I hear the guy that runs it is really easy to work with.

I got mine a week ago and it is amazing looking, top-notch work.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Imk posted:

I'm a tiny 120 lb chick. Should I just jam mine into my wussy chick purse or is there another recommended way for women to conceal carry?

I don't have any good suggestions, but I will tell you that purse carry is kind of frowned upon around here. A thief is probably after your purse, so he'll get your money and your protection.

I know that men's and women's styles are pretty different and so this may not mean much to you. But, I'm a small dude (5'10" 140lbs) who wears tighter clothing and can conceal a glock 19 reasonably well. I think most people here will tell you that you will be surprised what you can hide with a good holster.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

TFR Standard Loadout up in here
Gun: Glock 19
Holster: MTAC
Belt: Beltman Horsehide

I'm still working on adjusting the holster. I've got it in a position now where it's comfortable, and don't print at all during normal movement. However, if I crouch or get out of my car my shirt will ride up on the handle. It's probably partially my fault for trying to carry a G19 when I like to wear skinny clothes.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Captain Log posted:

Anybody got some non fat guy carrying advice? Anybody?

I am 5' 10", 145lbs and I wear close-fitting t-shirts and skinny jeans. I carry a Glock 19 in an MTAC with a Beltman horsehide belt.

No worries.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

My Beltman belt is stiff enough to hold my Glock up while I'm in the can or at the urinal.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Milehigh14 posted:

I'm considering a Sig P238 for a CCW, does anyone own one, or have any hands on information they can give me about the the gun besides what I read in guns and ammo.

I handled one in a store the other day and was pretty pleased. I've shot an LCP before and didn't much like it. I felt like I couldn't get a good grip on it and the trigger was terrible. However, I didn't feel like this at all with the P238. The grip felt just big enough and the trigger was pretty nice. If I were going for pocket carry I'd probably end up with a P238.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

HotCanadianChick posted:

What puzzles me is why anyone would still buy a PPK or P3AT or LCP when the Sig P238 exists. Far milder recoil (locked breech owns punk-rear end blowback anyday), much better trigger, not going to shoot springs out the front after a couple hundred rounds, smaller than the PPK, the list goes on.

Yeah, there's no way I'd consider an LCP after handling a P238.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

poopgiggle posted:

What does the TFR hive mind think about appendix carry? I'm thinking of getting something pocket-sized for appendix and pocket carry.

Also tell me whether my pocket-sized thing should be a Sig P238 or a S&W Bodyguard. I admit to being a little apprehensive about having a condition 1 SAO pistol pointing at my femoral artery even though I know that makes me a nervous nellie.

I just ordered a Comp-Tac 2 o'clock to try it out. I have some doubts about my G19, but with Comp-Tac's return policy, I've got no reason not to.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Comp-tac also has a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy. As long as you don't gently caress the holster up, just send it right back if you don't like it.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

hedgiejugglr posted:

I'm curious what kind of build you have because I can make a g19 in an mtac absolutely disappear with just jeans and a T-shirt.

Yeah, me too.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Well, that's a totally crazy use case I wasn't expecting.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Grip safeties are for ninnies that aren't comfortable with how guns work.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Spermy Smurf posted:

What if you dont want to shoot yourself in the dick by some freak accident where the shirt gets tucked into the holster after walking around all day or something of the sort?

Why are you trusting your dick to a lovely holster?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

televiper posted:

I guess none of you like 1911s then?

Not for carry. I hardly end up using the safeties on my range guns anyway, since the only two states you should see at the range are: 1) Loaded and presently firing, or 2) unloaded with the chamber open.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

RealKyleH posted:

ugh and TFR is still the best gun forum I know of

Oh stuff it. If you're not secure enough in your purchase to know when someone is just giving you a hard time, get out.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Yes. If i can still convince you to somehow get the g19 i will do my damndest but the MTAC is the holster you want regardless.

Buy the slide version in case you change your mind someday

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Kommienzuspadt posted:

does anybody prefer anything else in .380 to the LCP for pocket carry?

i was looking at the Taurus 709 Slim 9mms.... i know its a taurus but i figure it cant be any worse than a kel-tec pF9

Check out Kahr's offering: http://kahr.com/PA-1_380_p.html. I've got a TP9 that's due in tomorrow.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Insane Totoro posted:

http://www.thunderwear.com/holsters.asp
http://www.smartcarry.com/products.html

These look like they would be insanely comfortable to wear around the house. Or even carry IWB with.

Thoughts?

Heh, CCW undies. :)

No positive retention, difficult draw, even more difficult reholstering annnnd the aforementioned balls shooting.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

My Fenix P2D is just slightly larger than a tube of chapstick and it owns. Had it for like 2 years now.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

bipolarbear posted:

I still have the perception that with a shrouded or concealed hammer a revolver is some how 'safer' from ADs than a semi-auto. I think it goes back to Hunter's Safety when they told me that semi-auto pistols are the most dangerous things in the world and they go off all the time and at crime scenes you'll sometimes see cops carrying their pistols held by only two fingers pinched on the trigger guard because they are so unreliable (I'm not making this up).

Except for the explanation that charliebravo77 posted above, that's probably the least safe way to carry a pistol ever. Muzzle pointing in an unpredictable direction, not a whole lot of grip in two fingers, and putting fingers in the trigger guard when you're not going to shoot.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

No trigger guard makes it pretty risky. Same reason why the Clipdraw is stupid on Glocks. (Though they do have a hokey workaround for it http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index.php?rn=396&action=show_detail)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

kwantam posted:

I have no info for you. However, I would love to hear your thoughts on the P9, since I was just coming here to post about this gun.

I think my TP9 is a piece of poo poo http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362889

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

See if you can adjust the cant so that the grip hugs your back a little closer.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

This from Comp-Tac

Comp-Tac newsletter posted:

UPDATE: MINOTAUR SPARE BODIES
Starting January 1st, we will no longer be able to produce spare bodies for Minotaurís Generation One (1) leather backings. Minotaurís Generation Two (2) leather backings are now fully implemented into our product lines and December will be the last month you can order spare bodies for a Generation One leather backing. To verify the backing you have, please visit our Spare Body page. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call customer service at 281-209-3040 or email us at info@comp-tac.com.

I'm a little peeved that the window for change is so small. I only bought a gen 1 holster exactly 2 years ago, and the gen 2 didn't go into production until November of this year. So two months to buy spare bodies?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Yeah, mine measured as halfway in-between as well. Luckily, I knew that mine was a gen 1 because I had ordered a different spare body before gen 2 was an option. And yes, based on Jan 2010, I'm pretty sure yours is a gen 1.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Holster costs more than the gun

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Overpriced crap imo http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362889

Wait for the Sig P290 before making a decision.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

The problem isn't that it's sweeping people in the holster, it's that it's impossible to draw from one without sweeping everyone (including yourself) in a 180degree arc.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Mine is comfortable to wear IWB in the car. I'd need to lean forward a bit to draw, but I don't think that's a big deal. I'm not really worried about being approached in my car. I carry for the trips to and from the car.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 8, 2010

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Comp-tac's return policy exists for exactly that reason. Many other holster makers offer similar 'no questions asked' returns.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

So you're supposed to chicken-wing while you draw? I don't understand how you avoid sweeping your arm with any sort of natural motion.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

It sounds a bit awkward, but trainable. Thank you ir35 :cop::respek::hist101:

At least I can feel less guilty about wanting a shoulder holster for fun

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

In some states, like Kansas, an employer can not penalize you for stashing your carry piece in the car - even if it's parked in a company parking lot.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Kahrs are overpriced Glock clones built by drooling monkeys

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362889

Lots of people like the PPS, or wait for the SIG P290. Or get a H&K P7 like myself :smug:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Doesn't Glock still make the G36? It's 1.1in thick and smaller in every other dimension than the PM45 (also one round fewer)

http://www.glock.com/english/glock36_tech.htm

Compared to http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM45.asp

Also in case someone cares about the numbers for the PPS

http://www.carl-walther.de/pps/pps_en.php?load=techdat

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

As an addendum to my size comparison above, remember that Kahr brags about their *slide* width and excludes their destroyer-class slide release from the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Uncle Caveman posted:

So do you guys just wear really baggy t-shirts?

I wear t-shirts that fit me and skinny jeans, never had problems concealing the G19. Adjust the cant so that the grip of the gun hugs your back. Try moving the holster to 4~5 o'clock.

• Locked thread