Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

kwantam posted:

Get a good gun belt.

I was talking to Kinyo about this and didn't believe him until he showed me. He carries his mtac with regular belt/pants and doesn't feel the need to get a specific gun belt. Anyone else feel the same way about the mtac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Imk posted:

I'm a tiny 120 lb chick. Should I just jam mine into my wussy chick purse or is there another recommended way for women to conceal carry?

http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/purse.aspx

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

drzrma posted:

I knew I had taken a wrong turn in my thinking somewhere.
Eventually I'll find a sling that works with my sks and ride around with it on the drz for shits, giggles, and avatar material.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

what about something like the cz p01 or the pcr? Has a decocker which drops the hammer but is not a full DA pull once you decock. Not sure what the consensus of those two are over here (the sp01 is a favourite though) but it was one of the ones recommended to me when I was looking at decocker guns.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Schigolch posted:

Yeah but that one isn't loaded.
You sure?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I once cleaned a Mauser while taking a poo poo, does that count?

I field strip my ruger mk3 for practice while on the can. I thought I was the only one.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, which one of you is this?

deseret news posted:

Police said the 26-year-old man had gone into the bathroom to use the toilet, armed with a .40-caliber Kahr P40 handgun.... "While pulling his pants up the gun fell out of the holster, striking the tile floor,". ...The man was hit by some porcelain shards, lacerating his arm.... The man walked into the restaurant area, holding his wound and asked an employee to call 911.
..."In this case it appears that the accident would have been prevented if the man had used a secure holster," Child said. "A good quality firearm also should not fire if it is dropped."
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705277512,00.html
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5315514

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

I'm trying to decide between the cz p01 or the pcr. Rails is the difference.

Is it ok to, on a daily basis, take a rail mounted light like the tlr-1 on and off your carry weapon when you get home -or- just get another gun with rails and keep it as a dedicated nightstand gun?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

texasccw.jpg

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

In PA, if I take the act 235 class and get the card I can buy some spiffy shirts that say AGENT (in the yellowish orange font) to go along with my badge from the local shop.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

poopship posted:

I had to look that up. You people will abbreviate loving anything.

YPWAFA

Your Pussy Wafts A Funky Aroma?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

are those the chestnut c clips?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

What is a good carry piece for a one handed person whose thumb is not able to reach the slide release on a cz or a glock? I ran into this today and it got me thinking. Keep in mind that it should also be easy to load and unload when at the range rather than just being able to be fired one handed. Thanks.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Learn to reload correctly and pull the slide back. The slide-catch on the Glock is just that. A catch, not a release. The manual says it can be used to release the slide, but that's not what its intended purpose is for.

The reason I asked is that the lady who was shooting my pistols really only had one hand. The other was pretty badly mangled up to where the the two remaining fingers were almost pointing backwards, no way for her to get any traction on the slide to be able to slingshot it. Can't really do the whole reload using your knees at a public range without the RO flipping his poo poo. The whole thing just got me thinking about how to handle that if I run into it again and why I asked.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Bob Morane posted:

So TFR, please tell me all the reasons that this is a bad idea.
I would not want to leave a pistol in a bag that I will most likely set down and walk away from for brief periods of time in an office environment. Why not carry a smaller/thinner pistol during office hours that you can conceal with no worries. You have a couple of options in that market along with a few options still yet to come out. How dumb will you also feel if something happens and the gun is in your briefcase at your desk and you are at your coworkers desk 20 feet away. What happens if you go to take a piss and a fire alarm forces you to leave your bag at your desk and leave for the moment.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

TheStig posted:

He works it in his jeans pretty well, but I hear ya. Hence why I want to get him a proper holster, but one that won't piss him off when he is driving his car.

PA is open carry :D

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

HFX posted:

I'd say maybe get a pair of MTB shorts with a pocket holster, or maybe a saddle bag that is within easy reach.

These are not good ideas because the pocket holster will rub against your leg and drive you nuts. You need a big saddle bag to fit a gun and all your tools. Bigger than I would like. A camelback with it in it or in a handlebar bag. I don't like carrying on me because you sweat too much and iwb carry is exposed too easily.

My problem is that in a bad situation you are either on the bike and able to ride away or knocked off the bike and not next to it and why I would pick fanny pack or camelback before somewhere on the bike. IWB and pocket carry out because of sweat, comfort and I don't want that on my hip in case I crash.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

button down shirt over top. Undo a button or two if you are sitting at work or somewhere if poo poo starts to go down and draw that way? I'm guessing it is for deep concealment carry situations and less about being able to draw quickly when walking down the dark alley.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

does anyone carry the lcp IWB? It's not that expensive and I was mulling buying it as a lighter option for when you wear nicer pants where pocket carry would look like poo poo if done. It's half the price of the pps which is what I had my eye on origionally but the lcp with a two o clock comptac seems like it would work nice too.

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 5, 2010

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

AR posted:

Re: LCP is snappy. To whom it may concern, mine still isn't.

Also can somebody explain to me why there's a giant rumor that the LCP is difficult to take down? I just don't understand.

People on the internet tend to give opinions on fire arms they have never shot themselves when someone asks if X gun is good. I'm pretty sure that stuff like it being snappy and hard to take down is stuff out of context being parroted.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

I got it so that I could carry my ammunition and mags and guns all in the same bag without worrying about separate lockable containers. My buddy talked me into it by telling me to get it before I ever needed it as it takes a couple of weeks in my county for it to be issued. I wish he had told me to get my c&r license at the same time :(

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Schigolch posted:

so you may want to consider swapping them out to wood, plastic, or Al grips and unpadded mags.
This is truth. You can buy flat baseplates for 15$ I found but any other options? I'm just using a mec gar floorplate from an extra mag.

Black Stormy posted:

I got my CPL so I could shoot brown people with impunity. Also, get a gun or you are some kind of mega-pussy.
I dug this comic out for you.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Tim Pawlenty posted:

So for left handed shooters with moon handguns with very little aftermarket support is it best that I end up making my own holster? I've done leatherwork for blade and tool holsters in the past and kydex doesn't look incredibly difficult either.
I just picked up a TLR-1 which rules out any option even with right handed holsters out there for my Jericho as well. I really should use a more popular gun but I've gotten far too used to it and after over 1500 rounds it seems to be a natural extension of my body at this point.

Try hitting these guys up. Seems like people like them and they can do one with a light for 10$ more. Rip off of Raven is what everyone online says but for 70$ and a month turn around it can't hurt to look into it and see if they will make one for your gun. http://ntacholsters.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=KydexHolstersAvailable

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Headcase Fargone posted:

So it appears I'm going to have to replace a good half of my wardrobe. Apparently clothes that fit don't work all that well for concealment. I get by okay standing up, but as soon as I sit down I'm printing like a motherfucker.

First time carrier paranoia? Perhaps. But it's really blatantly evident that the very square imprint on the side of my shirt is a pistol grip.

Aren't you concealing a glock 26? You are doing something wrong if you are actually showing that bad. Can you post up a picture or tell some details about where on your body you are wearing it? How low on your hips do you wear your pants and what belt are you using?

Just remember that you know to look for the gun on your hip.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

My guns kinda heavy and will fall out of my mtac once it is out of my pants as there is nothing without my flesh and my belt to hold it in. Why are you carrying it around? I take the gun out the holster and put it on the table. Pull holster off. Put gun back in holster and place it on the table. Muzzle still points out back, away from any other rooms as the table is in a corner. If I were your wife I would be concerned about you carrying around a loaded gun like a book in an IWB holster. e: this is because she may still be going by the 4 rules and you can't fault her for that.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Boner Wad posted:

Some states consider it a misdemeanor to ignore a gun sign, I think that's how it is in PA.
This is not entirely correct. You will first be issued a Summary Offense. The sign serves as the first warning and you can be cited without a verbal warning if caught (if no signs then the first one is the verbal warning to leave by the property owner/manager but you cannot be cited for it).

Since the signage sets a condition to be on the property and if caught you are trespassing and you can be cited for a summary offense. If you then ignore the request to leave the property you get charged with a misdemeanor charge.

Read the entirety of where you can and cannot carry over here.
http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-carry-121/7582-read-first-where-you-can-cannot-carry-weapons-state-pennsylvania.html

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

Feh, I prefer the Allentown cheesesteaks. Philly cheesesteaks are weak, especially in terms of sauce.
Sauce... what sauce are you putting on a cheese steak? You need to have a cheesesteak plain with the provolone melted on the meat and a crispy long roll (gently caress those soft amoroso rolls) steamed on top of the meat and cheese for a few seconds.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

Cool, so I just need some larger belts too. I think I may go with a P228 after all.

For 3-5 o'clock carry, a lot of this depends on your body shape which people neglect to mention when they recommend a pistol that 'conceals under a tshirt'. If your profile is straight up and down on the sides or rounder in the middle and narrows up top towards the chest a lot of the guns like the 228, p01, g19 etc can print. You can conceal them but you will have to dress around the gun and it won't be as easy as a tshirt (one sized to you and not larger than normal) to conceal it. If you have a narrower waist and broader shoulders it seems like those guys tend to have the easiest times with a a glock 19 + mtac setup. If you are deciding between say a glock 19 and a 228 then go for the sig since you want it. Just realize that a good belt and holster helps but not all the time if you want to carry a gun everyday without having to change a wardrobe to dress around a gun.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Craptacular posted:

It's hard to point-shoot 3 targets a few feet away when you don't have a gun on you because your gun is at the manufacturer being serviced.

Two is one....

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Not if you point shoot :)

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Drav posted:

Wait, the LCP is only $300?

You can save $50 or more on the used market for the bought this, put a box of ammo through it and put it away condition guns.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Drav posted:

And they're actually decent little carry guns? Hrmph.

They come in raspberry colour also....

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Insane totoro is not a fat goon. I won't defend his pants but the dude works out. I wish I had his discipline.

Itchy- First step. Don't shop at walmart. I usually just go spend the weekday afternoon twice a year at the mall and hit up the sales racks at the department stores and clothes stores. You can usually get pants for 15-40 very easily. Pay a couple of bucks to get them tailored to the right length and you are good to go.

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 24, 2012

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Not specific brands but cuts and fit more so. Walmart is not selling a nice slim cut unless you are buying young teen clothes, neither is Costco etc. Levi sells different cuts also that you can find all over the place for 40-50$ usually instead of the classic regular fit one.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

What holster are you using?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

For the wife, not an intruder.

Why are you clubbing your wife?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Some people are adamant about not shooting someone in the back for fear of how it might be portrayed. Some of the material out there says that they may just be retreating to cover or to gain an advantage when in a closed place like buildings. Is there any reading I can do that talks more about people, or even just names of people to read up on the cases, who got tried for a bad shoot in a situation in their homes where the threat was not obviously in the yard but maybe running away in the hall etc inside the home? This is in a state with castle doctrine.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Screw anyone who says that just giving them what they want is the way to go and that, why does anyone need a gun to defend themselves. Fair warning, this video is not bloody but it is not pretty either.

http://youtu.be/dvvHMM6TF50

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Buy a proper belt and holster always. You have got to be cinching it tight pretty hard to get a narrow foldy webbing belt to keep a pistol in place. One of the things a good belt did for me is to allow me to run the belt looser while still sucking the grip of the pistol vertical and even into my body.

Also beltman, wilderness tactical, ares or if on a budget for leather comptac makes some pretty cheap iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Was that slow fire or a rapid draw from holster and put rounds in the paper plate? I like the LCP a lot for the role it fills and they are accurate but the long trigger pull where it breaks so far back makes it very hard for me to put rounds into small targets with speed at a distance past a few yards. I'm curious if others feel the same about the trigger or does time shooting the pistol a bunch help with that? Having faced down two pits attacking me (and choking one out from the top :)), a dog at full tilt coming at you is a loving tiny target, especially ones with big ole heads that you need to aim around.

• Locked thread