Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

:allears:

Sup Austin friend.

AR posted:

One woman we did not know scored a 210 or something, and she passed. I've heard that passing is somewhere around 175, which means you shot outside the silhouette 36 times out of 50? Hopefully I'm wrong on that because I do not want that person carrying near me.

During the shooting "proficiency" portion, the person next to me (shooting a Sig P232) actually hit MY target roundabouts the head at 7 yards.

I took my CHL class (Texas) about a month or so ago. Out of a class of twenty, when the instructor asked how many of us had never fired a pistol, 10 or so raised their hands. :crossarms:

I feel confident in my ability to shoot (I'm not great, but I practice and see improvement). However, I cannot fathom a few years ago, before I had gone to the range a "few" times, thinking that getting a CHL would be a good idea. That's just me.

Hopefully their logic is: 1) get the carry license 2) practice a poo poo ton. But who knows if that ever actually goes down. I cringe at the thought of what might happen in a moment of extreme stress when someone who has a CHL needs to use their gun without even being comfortable with its action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Mark Larson posted:

I've heard that you should give a cop your CCW license if you're pulled over along with your regular license, but I've also heard about cops that give you poo poo and treat you like a criminal for having a gun in your possession (I'm talking "Get out of the car NOW" with a gun pointed at you)

What say you guys?

In Texas we are REQUIRED to present any peace officer (or magistrate) with our drivers license and CHL permit when he/she asks us to display identification. Failing to do so can result in the suspension of the permit and being charged with a Class B misdemeanor (Texas Government Code Section 411.205).

If you don't have a weapon on you, you're not require to notify. Seeing as how "asking for your license" is asking you to identify, yeah, show them during a traffic stop.

Edited: for accuracy

Nafix fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 12, 2009

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Right on. I got my Texas CHL a week ago. I sent everything in at the beginning of February. I think they're just a "little" swamped.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

....and one could easily get away with a something like a suit jacket or something similar.

I've carried with this holster a few times and it works great. Really comfy, rides high enough for just about any properly fitted suit or medium length jacket.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

pulphero posted:

My taurus 605 is not that noticeable in the front pocked of my cargo shorts.

I love the poo poo out of my S&W 642. With a really small pocket holster it barely looks like something is in my front pocket (also cargo shorts). :respek:

After holding/dry firing/reading about different "pocket" options, I have to say I'm really happy with the 642. I had also considered the LCR/LCP and PPK.

(Also see: 442, and for the love of god don't get a revolver with a hammer for carry)

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

I recently purchased a S&W 642 for summer carry (read: pocket carry). So far I love the feel of it; almost all of my cargo/khaki shorts work perfectly without any sort of grotesque printing.

Although I've been happy thus far with the pocket holster I have for it, I'm curious about other options, specifically of the IWB/OWB variety. What have you folks used for IWB/OWB holsters for revolvers?

I'm really interested in finding (if it exists) an OWB holster that rides really high and makes OWB during the summer possible.

I was looking at Comp-Tac's website and it seems they do make the C-TAC/M-TAC for the J-Frame, as well as the OWB's of the belt and paddle persuasion. Has anyone had any experience with these for revolvers? Am I just wasting my time trying to carry it any other way than pocket because of the limitation of cylinder width?

Thoughts/suggestions?

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Scarecrow411 posted:

What pocket holster are you using?

It's some 20 dollar thing I picked up when I bought the gun... a Don Hume something. It works surprisingly well and is beginning to conform to the shape of my thigh.

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=31 (here we go)

timb posted:

I just ordered a Galco Concealable Belt Holster for OWB. We'll see how that works out.

I'd be really interested to see pictures of this when it comes in, as well as any sorta review you could put together? This is the sorta holster I was interested in as an alternative to pocket carry. Let us know what you think!

Edited: for the linkz

Nafix fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 25, 2010

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

I'd say a consideration for me and a 1911 would be weight and firepower (or better put capacity).

Then again, when I'm not carrying the G19, it's a 5 shot revolver heh.

What do you 1911 guys carry (make/size/etc)? What alloys are your frames? I'm not very comfortable with the 1911 style battery of arms (could be fixed by training) but it's a sexy gun.. right up there with the high power.

PS: The notes and smarties I have gotten from Comp-Tac always make my day.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

timb posted:

Last page I mentioned that I was getting a Galco Concealable Belt Holster for my 642. I picked it up today, and I must say it's really great......

Thanks for posting this. I, for one, really like how that looks and appears to ride. Is there any active retention mechanism? If not, is there any way to adjust the holsters grip on the gun (like on a CTAC)?

Thanks for the pictures. Needs more dog. :3:

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

^^^

Buy a 642 or a 442. Now. They're lovely. :allears:

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Scarecrow411 posted:

Yeah, me and emathey will have to get out and shoot my 642 sometime soon. I have maybe 40 rounds of 38spl and way too much 38spl +p to get rid of.

I could take some of that +p off your hands...

PS: How was shooting?

Edit for question: What differences are there between meprolight and trijicon when we're talking about something like a basic 3 dot night sight setup for a glock?

Nafix fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 9, 2010

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

timb posted:

I was thinking about making a thread about the whole thing, with lots of pictures.

Please; this would be awesome.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

642 is for people who like class and utility.

It is for people who, truly, like to party.

<3 J-Framez

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Aquarium Gravel posted:

Under our banner, Secret City Weaponeers, we've got a really slim, light leather holster that is better for CCW of fullsize or midsize guns than anything else....

Sig P228/P229 Carry: MTAC/CTAC option vs. your new line....

At the risk of asking someone who may have a bias ;), do you think your holster would offer superior carry for something on the p228's thicker/heaver side of things?

Those of you that carry the p228/p229, what do you use for IWB? (or OWB when the weather permits)

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

I carry my P228 in a MTAC for IWB, and a Comp-Tac Gladiator for OWB. I believe I've posted pics of both in this very thread.

What do you think about the Gladiator? I have one for my Glock 19... it's worked out well so far BUT I take issue with the exposed mag release...

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

poopgiggle posted:

I carry a J-frame in a 2 O'clock and it's awesome. It helps your posture too, since the butt of the gun will jab you in the ribs if you slouch.

Pix please?

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Shoulder Holsters!

I want to try something different and perhaps more comfortable for winter carry (and the several long intrastate car trips I'll be making). Currently I either rock the C-TAC or Minotaur Gladiator.

Gun in Question: Glock 19

Specifically, I want to know
-If anyone here ever uses them for G19
-Philosophical/safety concerns: you're sweeping people/things when you have it in holster, is this a big deal? or is it mitigated by the fact that its secured glock that can't accidentally go off?
-What models and brands come goon recommended?

Thoughts?

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

So the shoulder style out, what are other OWB options that might work with the G19 for winter carry? Something that rides high/close? Suggestions? (Sometimes I use the Minotaur Gladiator, but it rides pretty low)

I have some Glaco OWB that works great for the J-Frame, though I canít remember the name of the holster for the life of me.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Those of you who use a .45ACP for carry/other defensive purposes: What ammo have you come to rely on/enjoyed shooting?

I'm going to pick a variety and try them out at the range here in a few days. (Gun in question is a Sig P220).

I just assume get one (or both of) Speer Gold Dot in 230gr and 200gr +p...

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Uncle Caveman posted:

As the seller of the gun in question, I can say that any JHP he feeds it will run tip-top. :)

Nafix, I generally stuck with 230gr Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger for defensive ammo. For plinking, I just used whatever was cheap & available. Never tried any SWCs or such, but anything remotely round-nosed will feed just fine.

Pro! I'll probably go Speer 230 or 200+p. Ever shoot any +p out of it? Is a +p loading necessary/desirable in a .45 HP loading?

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Cross-posting a question in the hopes that someone will give me advices:

I just bought an awesome Sig P220 (with awesome slim grips, thanks U. Caveman). I've carried it for a few days because my C-TAC broke (Glock 19). Truth be told, I've been carrying it IWB... without much of a holster. :tipshat:

Obviously, I need to get a holster. Although I plan to repair the C-TAC... I wanted suggestions for good IWB (or high-riding OWB) holsters for the big-framed P220.

Discuss.

Kisses.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

kwantam posted:

....Crossbreed SuperTuck are the two I'd consider.

I just looked at this... I really like how adjustable it is and (at least in the promo videos) how high you can set it to ride.

Do you have one personally? If so, what have you carried with it?

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Propagandalf posted:

Is the USPc still considered a valid carry option? I haven't seen much discussion on them. I'm super happy with my USPf, so the C is the next logical step. It's narrower than a Glock 19, I prefer the trigger, and I like the ergos. Why shouldn't I get one?

I've never shot one so, take this with a grain of salt...

A buddy of mine just traded his Sig Pro 2022 in for a USPc (40) and I was rather surprised by its size. I expected it to be much larger but it seemed to be, well, pretty drat compact given its operating function.

I'd say if you like the gun/like the ergos/can find it for a good price... go for it! He's super happy with his and I was really impressed after a few dry fires and such. To the range we go this weekend...

(Or just get a a Sig P220 Carry :)

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

What happened to that thread... a goon started a company for full sized holster company type thing.....

Anyone ever buy one?

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Propagandalf posted:

http://secretcityweaponeers.com/

You mean this one?

Thanks dad!

Yeah. Too bad they don't carry Sig... I'll probably check out the Crossbreed SuperTuck per kwantam.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

I've decide to try and carry my p220. It follows that I purchase a holster; the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe is what I'm going to give a whirl.

Let's talk gun belts....

I have two leather belts I wear day in/day out. They are NOT gun belts. One of them works really well (consequently the stiffer one) but I feel like I'm missing out because I don't have an "honest" gun belt.

Is it worth it? Where are some good value places to look at?

EDIT: Anyone know if the horsehide natural is worth the extra :20bux:?

Nafix fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 20, 2011

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

wkarma posted:

http://www.thebeltman.net/ but any of the doublebull/kydex or double horsehide should work about the same.

Totally TWISTED posted:

I have a 1.5" Bullhide belt... also if you are planning on carrying a heavy pistol and/or other heavy things on your belt then going horsehide can negate the need for an internal stiffener which makes it only $10 more.

Black Stormy posted:

I also recommend 7 holes. And the stiffener is awesome for carrying guns.

GroovinPickle posted:

The belt doesn't need to be super thick or wide, although a belt that is rigid will help distribute the weight of a heavy gun like the P220.

This looks like something that'd be a good investment in the long term.

Just curious if there are some other manufacturers worth checking out. So far I've glanced at:

CrossBreed: $59.50 - base for doublecow belt

Comp-Tac: $80.00 - base for Kydex belt

TheBeltMan: $80.00 - base for doublebull

So, I suppose my questions are as follows:
1: For mostly IWB carry, some OWB carry, does the material (cow v. kydex) matter?
2: Has anyone had experiences with Comp-Tac or CrossBreed?
3: What other manufacturers have you goons worked with?
4: Is there really a difference between "cow" and "bull" leather? :blush:

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

I miss Austin but FW isn't bad at all... I need to tap into the TCU talent pipeline :wink:.

I went from Dallas to Austin/UT to.... Lubbock. :shobon: Grad school calls.

Enjoy FW. Enjoy the Saucer.

Anyway: I think the J-frame can be carried in jeans/regular pants just fine. I prefer a holster/semi auto, but during the summer I carry a 642 in a pocket holster with moderate ease. Is it a little hard to get out? Yes. Practice. Does it print horrifically? Yes/no: It looks like something "big" is in my pocket, but you cannot tell its a revolver. I would imagine it looks like one of those big-rear end droid things.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Holster suggestions, please:

It's winter and I have to drive longer distnace between grad school town/the big ole' city.

Sounds like its time to OWB concealed carry the Glock 19.

I own/have used the Comp-tac Minotaur Gladiator Holster. It works pretty well, although it seems like something that rides a little higher AND closer to the body would be better.

Thoughts?

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

infrared35 posted:

Galco Combat Master. Or even better, one of the (discontinued) Dillon Master holsters, which was based off the Galco design. I regularly carry a full-size Beretta thanks to a Dillon Master. It's comfy and conceals really well for an OWB rig.

Does it ride higher on the belt than, say, a standard paddle or other OWBs you've used? (I like the cut of it, thanks for the suggestion Infrared.)

Edit: ENGRISH

Nafix fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 25, 2011

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

infrared35 posted:

Maths (measurement from top of belt to junction of trigger guard and grip):

Dillon Master/Beretta 92D: 1.535"
Aker Flatsider/HK USPc: 1.926" (has more aggressive forward cant)
Raven Phantom LC/SIG P229R: 1.790"
Cheapo Gould & Goodrich/HK P2000: 0.890"

... [or the Galco Combat Master]

Thanks a lot for the data!

I've been trying to find a Dillon Master for a G19 online, but to no avail.

Looks like it's between the Galco Combat Master and the Aker Flatsider...

Any further thoughts?

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

DJExile posted:

I'd look at the LCP or something similar if you want a pocket gun.

Or a S&W 642. Pretty awesome for a summer pocket gun in cargos/slacks/jeans that aren't rear end huggers.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

ORDERING A BELTMAN: Do I want [edit] gently caress it; do it live.

Nafix fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 31, 2011

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

IF I was going to buy a holster for ranch/land carry and I wanted it to be a shoulder holster rig, what's decent (quality/price wise)?

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

BadgerMan45 posted:

Depends on the gun.......

Either a Sig P220 or a Glock 19.

Although... I do have a J-Frame...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

Friends that carry J-Frame/small revolvers appendix: I'm looking for an inexpensive holster to carry around 2-o'clock with my S&W 642.

During the summer I usually just pocket holster it or OWB a Galco that rides pretty high, but I'd like to give the 2-o'clock carry a shot.

Discuss/Suggest.

• Locked thread