Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Florida just says it requires a "competency" test but doesn't really define what that entails so its really up to the intsructors. Most places require firing of A weapon(alot of places bolt a .22 revolver to a table and make you squeeze off 2 rounds), however I've also seen poo poo like requiring you to fire but using blanks instead of live ammo(a couple places got in trouble for simply walking out back and letting off blanks), or just simply going through the actions of operating/dry firing the weapon.

Then of course theres the places that flat out violate the law and don't do anything...

Basically this. Colorado says it has to be an NRA class, but there's not really so much accountability. There are no legal requirements along the lines of "applicant must be able to hit a paper plate at 10 feet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Motronic posted:

Ninja edit: this is yet another reason why we need 50-state carry

I can't even carry one state, let alone all 50.

Couldn't you consider the truck to be a place of business, and not a residence, then?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Motronic posted:

And what does that do for you? In PRNJ, you can carry at home or at your business if a pistol permit has been bestowed upon you. In DC, only in your home (last I heard).

In any case, I really don't see how it being you place of business somehow makes it sovereign territory or gives the space any special firearms rights.

I'd love to be wrong, but I've heard nothing credible in many years to make me have the slightest inkling that I am.

I'd love to dig up some citations for you ( + work). In the laws I've read for Kansas and Colorado, being in one's lawful place of business enters into castle doctrine. Then again, Kansas and Colorado are not NJ or DC, and even so, I don't know if it confers any possession/concealment privileges.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Motronic posted:

What does Castle Doctrine have to do with interstate transportation of firearms?

Directly to interstate transportation? Nothing.

The point was that if being in one's place of business confers any firearm possession/concealment privileges similar to being in one's residence (and I don't know if it does -- this is only slightly related to castle doctrine), a successful claim that a semi is a "place of business" might help someone who wants to keep a gun there.

It's no crazier than trying to claim it as your residence.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

charliebravo77 posted:

I think the only reasonable explanation for this is that a cop might carry it like that so as to not disturb fingerprints that may be on the grip and slide.

That makes sense from an evidence perspective. Unfamiliarity might also enter into it -- it's kind of funny to watch them figure out how to clear a gun they've just found.

poopgiggle posted:

2. The DA trigger pull is heavy

As opposed to a semi-auto's DA trigger pull? It depends. My GP100's DA trigger pull blows, but the snubbies with shaved hammers that I've fondled (An SP101 and an LCR -- I've never had a chance with a J-Frame) have lighter springs designed for DAO usage. They're long, but smooth.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Do you guys have an opinion on the DeSantis clip grips?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

kuffs posted:

No trigger guard makes it pretty risky. Same reason why the Clipdraw is stupid on Glocks. (Though they do have a hokey workaround for it http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index.php?rn=396&action=show_detail)

Jesus. Safeties have officially come full circle.
I figured the pros were that you could wear it with just about anything, and the cons would involve poor retention and you'll shoot your asscheek off, but I'd like to see if someone's used it.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

poopgiggle posted:

How is that any different from Barami Hip-grips?

NINJA EDIT: Except these are presumably being made for something other than revolvers.

The name and the materials involved, basically.
I meant the general concept, though if there's any significant difference between the two manufacturers, that'd also be good to know.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

darnzen posted:

I found an answer to my own question regarding sign posting in MN at https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714:

I guess you can carry anywhere you want in MN as long as you don't get asked to leave! Even if you refuse it's only a $25 fine so what the hell, eh?

Is it a misdemeanor that can DQ you from a carry permit?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

The reason I wasn't sure is, in Colorado and possibly other states, I think there are a small few misdemeanor firearms-related crimes that don't prohibit you from possessing a firearm, but do disqualify you from holding a concealed handgun license. Multiple DUIs and reckless endangerment come to mind, however I am still working on a citation...

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

MisterOblivious posted:

If you're asked to leave because they spotted your gun and you refuse to go: $25
If you're asked to leave because you're a raging rear end in a top hat screaming and causing a scene, slapping a waitress on the rear end, driving away fur buying customers with your PETA sign etc and refuse to leave and also happen to be armed: Not $25

Concealed means concealed

That's committing a couple of other crimes while carrying concealed.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

timb posted:

Nothing wrong with snuggling a classic .32 right into your side.

What classic .32?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

M.C. McMic posted:

I figured as much, and I didn't do anything other than stand there and wait for it to move. I was just curious as to the hypothetical situation because it made me think of the whole Rick Perry thing.

Rick Perry shot a coyote, which are a bit more likely to attack a dog than a buck. Also, in the southwest (at least in some states; I'm not sure about Texas), coyotes are considered vermin, while deer are considered game.

Lastly, Rick Perry's the governor.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

M.C. McMic posted:

How do you guys know I'm not important enough to shoot furry things in my neighborhood?

If you have to ask, you're not.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

Ohio now has a "CCW in bars/restaurants" moving through the state senate I believe. Sounds like it should pass.

I believe the news megathread had it stalled procedurally.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

kuffs posted:

In some states, like Kansas, an employer can not penalize you for stashing your carry piece in the car - even if it's parked in a company parking lot.

I wish Colorado were like this.

I wonder if the national corporations are aware of laws like this when they write their "WE WILL ASSRAPE YOU IF YOU BRING IN A POCKETKNIFE" policies.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

vote_no posted:

Someone on here knows more about this than me, but until recently the Second Amendment was not seen to have applied to the states through the incorporation doctrine. I suppose it's also there for the event that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is repealed. Probably it's the same mentality that localities use when passing legislation that is equivalent to and preempted by the state.

Until quite a while after the 14th Amendment was passed, I don't think any of the Bill of Rights was incorporated to the states.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

I like turtles posted:

What should I be looking at for in a cheap, tiny and a decent defensive caliber? I'm helping a friend shop for one. She's hoping for around $150, but I think I can convince her to maybe go up to $250. The LCP is on the table, but the P-64 with a mainspring replacement to reduce trigger pull is highest on her list so far.

$250 puts you in used .38 territory.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

IuniusBrutus posted:

I don't know how police treat their sidearms, but if its anything like how they treat their cars...

They kill unarmed 14-year-olds with them?

Serious answer: Police trade-ins are rarely shot, but have a ton of holster wear. They're not pretty, but they're mechanically excellent.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

infrared35 posted:

I bet she's hot like the Borg Queen and I'd be all like Data, sayin' "Resistance is futile."

Fixed that for you.

Yours was Worf right before he shot the main deflector array as it floated away from the ship.

x1000 up in here.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Black Stormy posted:

The best thing is when I piss off the fiance and she goes to hit me and hits the gun. It makes her even more angry.

Good holster test.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

darnzen posted:

It might work with an extreme cant. It would also aid in concealment because it would just look like you had a boner and how could that be bad?

Is that a breaching device or are you just happy to see me?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

The boss could be buying it for the company, or the boss could be gifting it to the employee. Well, that depends on what counts as a gift. Does compensation in guns count as a gift in this case?

My guess is it's something muddier, like a duty gun the guy gets to keep.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Insane Totoro posted:

There's a camp of thought in my neck of the woods where people argue that you're more likely to shoot a target if your light is mounted.

I have no idea what they mean.

There's an article in the news thread that at least one cop has accidentally shot someone by confusing the front of the trigger guard (light switch) with the trigger (boom!). If you bother to practice with it occasionally, mounting the light to your gun will do much better than trying to hold both.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Acinonyx posted:

My plan is to keep the gun set up the same way all the time, so that I will be practicing with it as it will be, either holstered or from bed side storage. Is it reasonable to carry with something like an X300 installed or should that just stay by the bed?

If you can get a holster, go for it. You won't always be carrying places where you can just turn on the lights.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Shroomie posted:

In regards to where you can/can't carry: FL law says you can't carry at a bar, but you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol so long as you aren't sitting at the bar. What about places (Chili's, Applebee's, Miller's Ale House, etc) that have first-come first-serve tables in proximity to the bar? You're not sitting AT the bar, but it is still sometimes referred to as the bar area.

Carry there or no?

Legally, yes.
Understand, however, that depending how much the cops feel like being a dick should any unfortunate circumstances occur, it might not be a good plan.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

I know it sounds like a dumb question...I'm basically asking, is it ok to switch between open/concealed carry, or is that a big no-no?

There's no problem in switching. However, the standard admonitions against open carry in general apply.
It's always good to know you won't get busted for taking your coat off, though.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

They make dress shirts with false buttons for drawing from a shoulder holster underneath the dress shirt. They cost as much as a nice dress shirt, too.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

QuarkMartial posted:

In my situation where I'm more concerned with encountering animals, would it be a bad idea to load up with 38spl or 357 WCs as opposed to JHP? I was thinking of making my first shot a WC with the rest being JHPs, but if WCs are decently effective against people, then I might load my entire cylinder with them. Animals are a greater concern than people along empty stretches of interstate in my area.

What kind of animals?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Shouldn't it be pretty difficult to get a crease going in that area? That doesn't look like a very well-made holster.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

Uh, really? Is that the +P version? What models?

The only model I see for anywhere NEAR that cheap is the "Bodyguard"- the hammerless, laser-equipped model. And that thing feels waaaay too cheap.

The impractical side of me wants one of those .357 Airweights, with the fiber optic sights...

There's this, along with some other S&W snubbies.

I am curious if these are +P or not. I didn't know they made .38s that weren't +P these days.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

infrared35 posted:

Who wants to IWB-carry a 6" revolver?

I would love something like that for my GP100, except OWB and it sits still.

So basically something completely different.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Arrath posted:

A quick question for you CCW guys. Is a non-resident permit for a state only valid in that state, or is it honored by all states that accept the resident permit?

I don't think nonresident permits are honored most of the time. Do you have a specific state combination in mind?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Propagandalf posted:

To be fair, we're guilty of at least two of those.

I don't like M&Ps.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Give me Flibbity posted:

E: Alternately I would've shrieked "I'M HUNGRY!" Then shot all three of them before walking to Taco Bell.

loving Taco Bell isn't worth a person's life.

Chipotle is.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

M.C. McMic posted:

Just got my new BeltMan belt here at the office. It's fits perfectly and looks great! I can't wait to try it out with my MTAC and G19.

TFR combo

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

That said, if you're not big on IWB carry, the Glock 19 just isn't going to suit you well for concealed

You could probably OWB it.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

FormulaXFD posted:

I'm trying to come up with a solution for my first carry given that on most days I wear business casual with fitted dress shirts. My slacks have some give and figured that might be workable. Next solution might be a tailored pocket holster. (I just completed my CHL course at the County Sheriff's office, whee)

You might be able to appendix carry something small, but you'll still have somewhat of a shirt in the way. If you're good at sewing, you could also turn some of your shirts' buttons into snaps.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

infrared35 posted:

I just picked up a BLACKHAWK! IWB for my J-frame Smith. It's pretty nice.

So, what's the consensus on Blackhawk? Junk, gimmick, you could do better but it works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

Closest I can think of would be the LCP but that's in .380.

LC9?

• Locked thread