Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

beanieson posted:

overheard stupid gun related poo poo?

The perils of using shot glasses as solvent cups...

Serious answer: If I'm okay to drive, I'm okay to clean guns or make some ammo.

Except for the MkII.

thermobollocks fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Miso Beno posted:

I'm looking for leather double stack (Glock) magazine holsters. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a Safariland adjustable double mag holder similar to this, and it's pretty nice. Not so hot for concealment, though :v:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

infrared35 posted:

I call it the "Death Blossom."

That'll only work against the Ko-Dan Armada.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Internet Wizard posted:

Get your permit now so that when his cronies are put into the county level offices they can't just deny you out of hand

And give ~the man~ something the Red Chinese New World Order can seize to show I'm armed? No thanks.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

QuarkMartial posted:

Are beltman belts still the go-to belts for dressy but CCW, or is there a cheaper belt? Current belt is getting worn, and I'd like something to replace it. I want a good looking belt (no tactical webbing poo poo) that can be worn with dress clothes.

Aker seems all right. Mine's only a few months old but it seems to be breaking in nicely.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Better that you get it out of your system sooner than later.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

RiSK posted:

Just moved from Ohio to Colorado about a month ago and after getting a bill in my name, will be off to the DMV to get a drivers license and then apply for my CCW. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding a lot of information on the laws around here.

In Ohio, it's pretty cut and dry where you can carry, where you can't, etc. They give you a nice little booklet that outlines pretty much everything you need to know. I can't find a whole lot of information about Colorado, however.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

edit: I did find this, but it pretty much says "carry where you want unless it's prohibited by federal law. So I guess it's no holds barred? This truly is the wild west.

The best west.

However, later on in that very document:

quote:

A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in
all areas of the state except as specifically limited as follows:
1. a person may not carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law,
2. a person may not carry a concealed handgun on to the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high or high school,
3. a person may not carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place,
4. a person may not carry a concealed handgun where a private property owner, private tenant, private employer or private business entity disallow.

Colorado has no prohibition on bar/restaurant carry, and I'm pretty sure that the worst a property owner can do is serve you with a trespass order. Also, welcome to Colorado, and Rocky Mountain Gun Owners is a pretty good resource.

thermobollocks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 3, 2011

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

RiSK posted:

Wow, pretty lenient. I imagine drinking is off limits while carrying, but yeah, these laws seem pretty drat reasonable. And thanks for the welcome! So far, this state is amazing.

I pity the poor bastards who have it any different :v:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Salah al-Din posted:

Too bad the Federal Government doesn't want to enforce the Full Faith and Credit Clause to put an end to the gigantic loving jumble that is US concealed carry law.

Too bad the Full Faith and Credit clause really only refers to accepting records and court proceedings as authentic. Since different states have different requirements for getting licensed, all that particular clause means is that California has to recognize that NosmoKing's Wisconsin CHL means that NosmoKing has satisfied all the requirements to carry...in Wisconsin.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Shroomie posted:

I got pulled over while carrying for the first time last night. Apparently my tag lights are out.

I handed the cop my DL and CWP as soon as he walked up, he asked if I had a weapon in the car, and I told him there was a pistol in the console. He had me get out and lean on his car, then he went and unloaded it and put the ammo in my glove box and the gun back in the console. Seemed excessive, but whatever.

It was also around 4AM so he made me do the whole "follow my finger" sobriety test before letting me go.

If he suspected you were drinking, it doesn't seem bad.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Salah al-Din posted:

Well that's disappointing. I thought the FFaCC meant that if I got married/a drivers license in X state, Y state was forced to recognize it as valid? It's a god drat shame because this would be a great way to force idiots to agree to same-sex marriage. Kind of like feeding a stubborn rear end kid broccoli by mixing it up with something they love to eat...

I thought about driver's licenses, and I can't find anything in my 10 minutes of Googling that explains why, exactly, DLs are valid between states. I'd be curious to see what would happen if a 16 year old with an unrestricted license from one state got pulled over in a different state where you had to be 18 to get a license.

The example of same-sex marriage, by the way, doesn't work out so well because of DOMA. Stupid DOMA.

Also, Hornady has .22 WMR Critical Defense. :wtc:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Black Stormy posted:

In what god awful state do you have to be 18 to get a drivers license?

Some of the shittier ones. In Kansas, you get an unrestricted at 16, a restricted at 15 (you've practiced with your parents, and you only get to go to school/work with no juvenile passengers), and a learner's permit at 14.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

NosmoKing posted:

Eh, the wife rarely complains that it's inadequate.

:downsrim:

She has to pump yours like 50 times to get any oomph out of it.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Kommienzuspadt posted:

ILLEGAL ALIEN GANGS

This made me think of flying saucer drivebys.

...Good name for a band.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

My holsters render my guns temporarily inoperable. :smug:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

OK I really need to hear the reasoning on this :psyduck:

It literally is "COP-KILLA BULLETS, RIGGS"

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I've never understood why "shoot to kill" is a thing. If you're uncertain about killing someone, you shouldn't escalate things to the point of shooting them.

"Shoot to kill" is the only thing. "Shoot to wound/scare/teach 'em a lesson" is not a thing.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Black Stormy posted:

Is that Klingon?

There is no Klingon word for "safeword."

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Wolframn posted:

I'm not carrying it loaded right now nor have I even fired it. I am aware that this gun has issues with slide and frame crackage. The theory seems to be that the factory installed 14lb recoil spring is too light. I have also ordered a Wolff calibration spring set. I am hoping to have this come in next week, with the holster, where I will take the gun, some boxes of ammo, and the holster all to the range.

Doing some spring calibration is still a good idea, but do you know if this spring problem is the case with more recently made Witnesses? I was under the impression the early crackage was fixed from the factory. In either case, you'll probably use up less ammo if you test starting with the heaviest spring, and only go lighter when you get failures to extract. I forget if Wolff mentions this on their website :downs:. For what it's worth, my .38 SA runs great with the heaviest spring Wolff offers.

Also, while this will still end up being a matter of personal preference, do note that you'll have to manually decock your Witness after loading it, and that it's got a weirdo half-cock position that makes decocking that much more difficult to perform correctly than other guns.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Wolframn posted:

I was under the impression that quite a few guns had a half-cock position and that this was a safety issue to prevent you from lowering the hammer onto a firing pin outside the range. (to prevent an accidental discharge)

This used to be true 100 years ago. The Witness' half-cock doesn't mean anything except that the hammer is half cocked: modern semi-autos (the Witness included) have a firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from touching the primer unless the trigger is pulled. Come to think of it, with the Witness, I don't think they recommend ever using their half-cock, and that it's more of a fluke of how the trigger guts work than anything.

So, if you have a cocked Witness, and you're somehow able to strike either the firing pin, or whack the side of the gun hard enough to trip the hammer, as long as nothing is touching the trigger, nothing will happen. If you are attempting to manually decock the Witness with a live round in the chamber, though, because you have to pull the trigger to start lowering the hammer, your finger at the hammer could slip, and you can unintentionally fire. This is much more prone to fumbling than simply engaging the safety (which will be safety #2 active on the gun when it's in your holster) with the hammer cocked.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Wolframn posted:

Firing pin block or not, it seems more reasonable to use a built-in safety (whether intentional or not) since you have it.

The Witness' half-cock position is a fluke, and not designed for use in this way.

http://www.eaacorp.com/Manuals/witness.pdf posted:

Your pistol has a resting position or notch on the hammer. This notch is not to be used as a half cock position. This notch’s sole purpose is an additional notch on the hammer so as to allow the sear a chance to engage the hammer if the trigger is not pulled fully to the rear.

Emphasis theirs.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

IuniusBrutus posted:

Little late to witness talk, but this might be worth mentioning: The witness is based off the CZ75 design, which also has a half-cock. However, CZ DOES use their half-cock position as a sort of safety - the decocker models lower the hammer down to half-cock, where it stays. I seriously doubt the normal models were ever intended to be manually decocked to that position, but it is safe to carry on that notch.

The witnesses and Tanfolgios are a good bit different, but probably not so much that this would change. That said, carry the pistol the way it was intended - in this case, hammer cocked, safety on.

That's kind of neat. If it's meant to be used as such, go for it. I just don't know enough about the trigger guts to say whether or not it's safe. I know mine's different enough from a CZ that CZ disassembly videos don't help me at all. :saddowns:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

I keep my money in a film canister buried inside my rectum.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Stalizard posted:

Does anybody know of a belt holster that works with a 2" wide belt? I checked out MTACs and Galco but they only go as high as 1 3/4". I already have a big ol' 2" wide belt, and if I can find a reasonable holster I don't need to find another belt.

Safariland and Bianchi may have something for what you need, depending on the specifics. You're probably looking at paddle or at best pancake there.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Kommienzuspadt posted:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/2006/04/main.htm

I agree with IR. I want ammunition that will hold up to the most stringent of tests, for the same reason that most of us carry handguns that are overengineered in order to perform well for LE/Military use : dependable performance in even the most improbable of circumstances.

Shooting through a barrier is not exactly someting I am planning on, but I'd still I'd like the ammo I carry to be able to do so. Hornady is also more expensive than its more proven and better engineered counterparts like the Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST and Winchester Ranger-T series of ammunition. So the choice for me is a no brainer.

Shooting through a barrier is kind of the opposite of what you want most of the time. However, they did put their Critical Duty through that test, because that was its goal.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

The angle I approach it from is that for the purposes of ~apartment defense~ I am more worried about minimizing risk to my neighbors than punching through Berserker Bubba hiding behind a corner/windshield/car door.

If you want ammo that will accomplish that, great. Get some of that. If minimizing overpenetration is high on your list, though, duty ammo with good barrier performance is by design the opposite of what you need.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Any time you need a firearm, you need it now. Anything you have in between you and that firearm is going to be a hindrance.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Dr. Strangler posted:

Look I want to dramatically thumb back the hammer and disengage the safety on my glock before I shoot somebody

Pull the trigger with your thumb and that's what you're doing.

yes I know it's a striker

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

Someone recommend a good OWB for a 2 1/4" SP101 tia

Galco Combat Master

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Kommienzuspadt posted:

....you are?

Hornady doesn't test their pistol ammo according to the FBI protocol, which I think is retardo.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/2006/04/main.htm

Critical Duty gets the FBI protocol.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Which makes it less valid how? This isn't the fast moving world of molecular medicine or anything, Critical Defense has not changed since then to my knowledge.

Yeah the critical duty line does, but I have not seen it for sale or tested indepndently.

Come on, dude.

I'd like to see it tested independently, too, only as a matter of due diligence (like, with calibrated gel and everything). I have no reason to think Hornady is pulling any deliberate shenanigans.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Txiuct posted:

Does anyone know if S&W has a LEO/MIL discount that covers EMS/Fire/other groups like Glock's?

You could find your local S&W LE dealer and ask.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Butch Cassidy posted:

Tearing your shirt on your rear sight as you clear it.

You're not supposed to rip it open Hulk-style?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Butch Cassidy posted:

Not really.

Life of an average carry piece:

- Go to range once in a blue moon.

- Ride around in a holster.

- Collect dust bunnies.

The vast majority of people I know don't shoot their carry guns enough to have to worry about a new recoil spring, let alone anything else.

The car analogy is a bad one, more like the bicycle in the garage. It sits there and you never do anything with it. The so-so stock components will last you a ride each summer.

Going to the range once in a blue moon is not really a good idea here. Recoil springs are kind of a bum analogy, too, since the gun's design highly influences when you'll have to replace that spring. 1911s supposedly need new ones every 2-3000 rounds, while my 92FS is running strong after 16,000 or so.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Insane Totoro posted:

Why do old people insist on shooting one handed?

How else are you going to hold your saber?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Uncle Caveman posted:

i had to do a doubletake to make sure it was actually ir35 saying that and not gtab in disguise

Gtab is IR35's drinkin' name.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

What's the difference between Critical Defense and Critical Duty? At first glance they seem to be the same drat bullet.

Critical Duty is bonded, Critical Defense is not. Critical Duty is actually designed for barrier penetration, and actually does it pretty well.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Ranger is good stuff. Not sure if there's anything specific against that brand of 147s, though.

What Kommienzuspadt said. Also, thanks! I knew some types of 147s had problems but I didn't remember anything more specific.

thermobollocks fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 23, 2012

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Zargon posted:

It did cost me half of what I paid for my gen4 glock 19

And you're getting about half the reliability out of it, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Micromancer posted:

Don't be stupid, how else are you going to decapitate the victim?

Battleaxe with nitrile grips.

• Locked thread