Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Naramyth posted:

Any pocket holster and IWB holster suggestions?. :dance:

DeSantis Nemesis for a pocket holster and a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck for IWB.

I have carried a S&W model 36 and an LCP in a Nemesis both long term and it is a nice holster. My wife is very fond of her Nemesis and is rarely seen carrying her Bobcat in anything but.

I also carried a Beretta 96 in a Supertuck every day for a year and a half. It was nothing but comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

dakana posted:

I got invited to go backpacking in Virginia next week...I was considering bringing my G19 for protection from crazies and wildlife. Talk to me about this -- first, I'd have to open carry it since I don't have an Ohio license...it's backpacking so weight will be an issue...

I can honestly say that I have received fewer sideways glances for open carrying on granola-munching-yuppy packed trails than I have anywhere else. As for weight, a G19 shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

There are really only two things that make carry a bit different while hiking: Remembering that forest service stations are federal buildings*, and checking that the straps on your pack won't interfere with your sidearm should you have a pack.

* There is a debate about whether or not you can carry anyway, as they are not secured; but I wouldn't want to be the test case.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

ODC posted:

I've never been an gun owner but have fired lots of guns growing up and through being in the Army. Now I'm a fat programmer that would like to CCW in Florida...

I have been nothing but impressed with the PX4 subcompact. The recoil is much lighter than you would expect, the sights are nice, the trigger is fine, the decocker isn't clothes-hungry like a 92/96 series, and it is easy to shoot. I would advise you to try for some range time with each, of course, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Beretta. The only issue some people have is a dislike for DA/SA.

I've fiddled with an SR9c, and it just didn't feel as nice in my hand.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

ODC posted:

I saw a few very compact pistols, which I'm guessing you're referring to as a pocket pistol. I held them, one of them was a Cal-Tech, but I just didn't like that my bottom two fingers weren't on the grip...

Then don't bother with them for now. Once you've had something that fits for a while, you may change your mind and look at them more closely. Until they start to actually feel somewhat "right" you won't want to screw with them.

ODC posted:

The Beretta and the Ruger were just the ones that felt the best in my hand while still being small enough. At this time I don't know how often I will carry, but if I do I plan on getting a good belt and holster.

If you honestly can't get range time with them, buy the one that feels best. A gun that suits your tastes in a good holster riding on a good belt will have you carrying more often and comfortably than you would expect. You seem to be going about this whole thing exactly right.

One day, you may find yourself wishing to carry more often. That is the time you should look into the little pocket-rockets and they will probably feel better after having carried for a while.

Oh, if you plan to carry a reload, don't forget to give some consideration to your mag pouch. Not that I would have ever completely neglected to even think about one when I first switched to carrying an autoloader...

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

TheChaplain posted:

Upper end of prices: Ruger LC9
Pros: 9mm, handsome like it's wearing a tux w/ spats

Anyone have any good or bad stories when dealing with these models or companies? Am I crazy for thinkging DA/SA is a good thing? Also, I've seen some talk of the LC9 not having a "true" double action trigger, which I find peculiar.

I am a fan of DA/SA. I like double action well enough, and then I just ride the reset, the transition has never bothered me. Actually, the DA shot out of my Beretta 96 is often the closest to the center of my target.

I have an LC9 in my safe right now with a couple hundred rounds downrange and can try to answer any questions you have. The double action is like that of the LCP, the hammer is half-cocked by default and your trigger pull fire it, but a dud or empty chamber will obviously not reset the hammer to the rest position so the trigger goes limp. If you aren't in the "double-strike capability" camp and go more for tap-rack-bang, then it is a non-issue.

The sights are pretty decent, the trigger is fairly smooth and light, if not a bit long. Recoil is much lighter than an LCP. Ruger has always done right by both my father and me, so I feel fine complimenting the company. The loaded-chamber indicator seems a bit...enthusiastic, but you can't even see it when you are looking down your sights. The safety is stiff and hard to engage, but snicks off easily if you were to use it. I will probably deactivate or remove the safety on mine.

Some people bitch about mag-disconnect safeties, but I don't mind them. I hear it is easy to deacivate if you are in such a mood. Oh, and like the LCP, the mag comes with both a flat and finger-extension baseplate. The pistol is almost the exact size of a PPK/S.

I'm pretty fond of mine. It was originally purchased to throw money at my favorite gun store and try out and has grown on me since.

Edit - Forgot I had these pictures:

I also found where I had weighed it in at one pound, five ounces loaded with seven plus one rounds of 147 grain 9mm.

My stainless PPK/S weighs one pound, ten ounces when stoked with seven plus one rounds of WWB.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 19, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Everyone post their summer carry setup!

Woodford Reserve

There is more in my pockets, but :effort:. I was on the deck to enjoy my bourbon and was not to be bothered completely emptying my pockets.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Shedman posted:

Desantis FTU is a nice one.

I have a spare mag for my G23 riding on in hip in a black F.T.U. as I tye this. Little bugger is a pretty nice mag pouch, I'm happy with it.

DeSantis also makes the S.S. which is just an F.T.U. with a forward rake.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mine would be on a sheet of paper, but you wouldn't be able to see it anyway because it is so chewed up from living in my wallet.

"Here, have this sheet of paper from our copier with your address and an estimate of your weight. Remember to always have it on you." It went nicely with my paper driver's license for a while before both went through the wash.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I swear, my fishing license was printed on nicer paper than my pistol/revolver license:

gently caress the Spartan, I do not like it and am getting a Supertuck for the G23 in a few weeks.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Veritas posted:

also, any reason to choose an MTAC over a crossbreed holster (gun is a G19)?

I'll be the odd man out and recommend the Crossbreed. I have used both a Supertuck and a Spartan (MTAC with only one layer of leather) for a while and vastly prefer the Supertuck.

- The Spartan loves to slide back on my waist, the Supertuck didn't do it anywhere near as much.

- I got a roll of cherry Life-Saver with my Supertuck, as did my wife with hers.

- I like the metal clips better than the plastic.

- The retention is the same on either holster. If you want tighter retention on an MTAC, you tighten a screw; on a Supertuck, you deepen the trigger-guard indent (instructions included with the holster.

- I will be honest, I appreciate the "gently caress you, I have my beliefs and will stamp them on my product proudly" attitude Crossbreed has.

- I won't change out kydex shells, so the fact that they are non-interchangeable on the Crossbreed, but are with a Minotaur means nothing to me.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You assholes are making me want to start carrying my 84 BB in a leather OWB holster.

While I adore leather holsters (OWB pancake, preferably with thumbreak, to be specific) above all else, I do like having kydex between gun and pants when IWB. I may bite the bullet soon and try a leather pocket holster for my LCP.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Black Stormy posted:

PM me your address. I have a Galco that has some fool's initials stamped in it (not mine), and no LCP. I'll ship it off to you.

I lack PM, but I would gladly e-mail you my address. You could reach me at theruntcompound@aol.com

Thanks, by the way.

Now on to matters concerning a vintage Colt: Carry it, and take pictures.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Smith and Wesson's 3913 is a God-damned glorious sidearm and I will not hear otherwise.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Fresh from my pocket, lint and all:

It is not classy, nor is chambered in my beloved .40, but it is always on me. I can see why it has its own bandwagon here. It is one of my few guns that I 100% treat as a tool. My only emotional attatchment to it is one of familiarity and trust. My G23 that rides on my hip 90% of the time brings memories of my father, the Berettas beg me to fiddle with them, so-on. The little Ruger stays in my pocket and is treated with comperable ceremony to my SAK.

Back to LC9 size chat:

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 17, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Not exactly the same, but I carried a Beretta 96 for a year under nothing more than a button-up shirt and no one ever noticed. A good IWB (Crossbreed, Minotaur, spiffy leather shops) and a good belt will pull a full-size pistol in enough that they aren't much more trouble to conceal than a medium frame, unless you are fairly slim. My current G23 doesn't really print any less than my Beretta ever did.

If it is really only going to be a cold weather piece under heavier shirts/sweaters/jackets, I think you would be fine.`One tip, though: Watch out for string and poo poo to tighten the hem on some jackets. They love to tangle and try to get in your holster when you are trying to holster your pistol.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Am I a bad person if I want to find a fairly inexpensive G35 and cut the grip down to G27 length?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I would think it would be really unbalanced.

Yeah, it is one of those shitload of money to burn on something ridiculous and horribly impractical things. I wouldn't even carry it; but every time I see someone trim a Glock, I am tempted to take it to the most ludicrous level I can.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

lilspooky posted:

Good question, I prefer leather overall...

I am hugely fond of the Don Hume Double-Nine series leather pancake holsters. With or without thumb-break they are cozy and hold your sidearm tight to your hip. They are also pretty slick so a cover garment doesn't snag.

Depending on where you get them, they are 50-60 bucks and both of mine have held up really well.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bummey posted:

I remember a box thread for one a while back. I want to say it was DJexile, but I can't be sure. I should get archives.

Lord Commissar Colonial Airforce

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

DJExile posted:

Yeah PPKs aren't bad guns but your jeans must be huge if you're pocket carrying one.

A PPK pocket carries better than a j-frame ever has. A PPK/S, on the other hand, is about comperable.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Provincetown, Ma.

Gtab is the guy dressed as Cher on a motor scooter.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

New Hampshire has passed a same sex bill into law and from everything I've heard is extremely gun friendly...about the only difference between them and Vermont is that NH doesn't have unlicensed carry.

We have cheap booze. And no income tax. Oh, and fewer hippies.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I like leather:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

Details on the holster? Leather is always nice, though I don't care too much for thumbsnaps.

It is a Don Hume H721 Double Nine. The same style can be ordered with an open top as the H721 O.T, which I just happen to have for my 84BB:

I am hugely fond of the things, and also have one with thumb-break for my model 10.

Edit - Despite Chrome's best efforts to stop me, I managed to find the picture of my model 10-11 in an H721:

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 25, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

infrared35 posted:

Ah, the H721. Pride of the federal government.

Who did issue them? All I know for sure is that they are comfy to wear.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

infrared35 posted:

I don't know who all issued them for sure, but I do know a few - ...FBI...

I think the list of holsters not issued by the F.B.I. is more worthy of mention than anything they have issued. It seems like they go to some over-run store and buy a pile of this and that.

Was there ever a reason given for the adoption of a 135 grain duty load, or was it more of a, "here's your ammo, get back to work", kind of deal?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Hey guys. its fall. Post fall beer + carry combos

(Obviously you should not carry while drinking :colbert:) dont give me that poo poo.

Picture me with a pint of oatmeal stout at a table full of goons with a G23 in an H721 at a local brewpub.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 27, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the largest handgun you guys have seen/heard of being CCW'd? I'm wondering if I should sell my LCP and carry my Beretta 92 like a boss.

I carried a 96 for a year and still miss it. I only stopped because the safety tore a couple of shirts.

Edit: My G23 honestly doesn't conceal any better.

Edit #2: I also carried my 4" heavy barrel model 10 for a while in an OWB to see if I would prefer to carry a revolver. No one ever noticed even when just under the same shirt in the picture untucked.

No, I did not use the dump pouch. It just went on for the picture.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 29, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Illegal Clown posted:

I guess I don't have the attitude of having just one all purpose carry gun. I like the flexibility of having a full size gun, like my PX4 and 92FS, but also having more compact options in those rare occasions when a full size wouldn't do.

This is me. I have two carry guns and only two carry guns at any given time. For example, I run a G23 and an LCP right now. The LCP is always in my pocket, period. That is the whole point of the little thing. The 40 is on my hip 90% of the time. One carry gun seems to lead to unhappiness (trade in a 380 for a 9mm) or leaving a bigger gun behind at times.

I take it a bit further than some and leave the LCP in my pocket when I am carrying the G23. Less of a BUG and more because it is just always there. It saves some juggling, but I can see why most people would be bugged by the extra weight and space.

Long story short: Juggling guns is stupid and you should have a spartan and devoted carry setup, but one gun is not perfect. Having one belt gun and one pocket gun that are both practiced with is a very good system.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Different.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/RUGER/LCP-380CAL-W-CRIMSON-TRACE-LASER-GRIP/POCKET-HOLSTERS

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 31, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

He signed a credit reform bill that happened to have a rider strapped to it for carry in parks. Not really the same.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hey, I love me a thumb-break! :colbert:

I never grew up and still throw myself around like an idiot, so active retention makes me feel better. Also, bicycle and open top never made me feel very comfortable.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

infrared35 posted:

Come on, be one of the cool kids. Carry Border Patrol style. :cool:

Pff. You kids these days, can't even be satisfied with a dump pouch. Gotta go and get all fancy with your pre-staged cartridges.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You hold the revolver in your left hand and reload with your right, in most techniques: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOVWwOahGf8

Better video just of reloads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbcyAKoQZrs

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 23, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I've never had a problem with heat in my model 10, model 36, or my father's GP-100 even after a box of ammo. In a bobble, you could accidentally poke the barrel proper with your finger, but that is about it.

As for being awkward, not really. You need to pop the cylinder open with your left hand, anyway, and you just keep it there. Keeping it as far out as clint Smith likes to can be a bit awkward for some, but has always worked well for me. Also, any awkward nature to it is more than made up for by the increased ease of getting the rounds in. If you keep a firing grip, the cylinder can still free-wheel and leave you fiddling, the gun in you offhand has the cylinder held in place.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If you don't make that holster and take lots of pictures, I will drive out there and slap you. :clint::respek::wotwot:

Edit: I budgeted in the kydex and hardware to do this the day I brought my 1910 home. It is getting ordered after Christmas.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 12, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

DJExile posted:

E: Wait, I'm only seeing them in 6-shot form, is there a 5-shot? :ohdear:

Yes. If your LCR takes J-frame loaders. And only in the Comp-1 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/127569/safariland-comp-1-revolver-speedloader-charter-arms-s-and-w-5-shot-38-special-polymer-black

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

DJExile posted:

Anyone here use them?

I used to. They are fine quality, but they do wear out sooner than an HKS with regular use and dropping. And even that takes quite a while. The lovely complaint just comes from look and feel. It is a tiny little mechanism to release the rounds in a plastic body, it can seem a bit fragile. Mine is still working fine, however after two years of regular reloads (dropping them after the load), having been fallen on while carrying, and being soaked in rain.

I like them, but prefer the HKS.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

poopgiggle posted:

Also for crying out loud it's HKS, not HK.

He let go of the shift key too soon. HKs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Juice posted:

My wallet isn't overly fat or anything, but there's no way it'll fit in the slim versions.

I went spartan months ago and am loving it. Inside a Koyono Slimmy, I stuff;

1st slit - Some emergency cash

2nd slit - AAA card, debit card, driver's license

3rd slit - Pistol/Revolver license and any important receipts/notes from the day to be ditched at home.

• Locked thread