Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Is it just me or would carrying one of these be a pretty bad idea? Don't really need extra reasons for a police officer to hate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

registered for CCW training next month. Can any of you fellow Ohioans think of anything other than the obvious I should expect?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

OldSquid posted:

Since you posed this a month ago, how did your class go?

When I took mine, my instructor said "Nobody has ever failed my class, and none of you will either", which I found somewhat worrisome. During the written test he hovered over those students who had the most trouble understanding the material. I can't say with complete certainty that he helped them cheat, but I was highly suspicious of how he proctored the test.

pretty sure I posted it this month (right?) my class is actually January 22nd

*edit* also I'm taking the class with my buddy and the instructor is my buddy's girlfriend's boss so I sure loving hope he dosent fail us

Basticle fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 17, 2011

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

VSEPR posted:

For those looking for a Hybrid IWB that allows you to carry a light on your weapon, the only company that seems to be making it is Kolbeson Leatherworks. Just thought I'd post this since I have a feeling others might be looking for just such a holster.

http://www.shopleatherworks.com/Tac-Light-Hybrid-IWB-TACHYBRID.htm

I'll give a review when mine gets here in another 5 weeks.

whats a "hybrid IWB"? I've never heard of the term before.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

infrared35 posted:

I learned that "slats" are ribs, so when you kick someone in the slats, you're kicking them in the ribs. Usually when they're lying down.

No kidding? I always assumed it was some sort of not-quite-swearing way of saying "kick em in the rear end"

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

kwantam posted:

Short holster review.

I ordered a molded deluxe holster kit from Old Faithful Holsters. It's a $33 kit that will, with an hour of work, produce an MTAC-style holster.

I placed my order and received the holster kit a week later. The reason I didn't just buy an MTAC is because they don't make one for the SP101, whereas these guys do and don't have an insane lead time like Crossbreed.

I received mine yesterday and assembled it today; I'm presently wearing it, and I'll probably wear it tomorrow as well. So far it's comparable in comfort and retention to the MTAC, though once the leather backing breaks in I'll have more to say on this topic.

The other holster that I've worn with this gun is a Gurkha made for a J-frame (did you know the SP101 will probably fit in a molded J-frame holster? I didn't either until I tried it). By comparison, the gun rides much lower in this style of holster and it seems to carry somewhat more comfortably.

My overall impression so far: if you like doing a little hour-long project and want to get an MTAC-style holster for less than half the price of buying one from Comp-Tac, this is a great deal.

They also sell kits with an unmolded piece of kydex for slightly cheaper if they don't support your gun or if you want to use a light or whatever.

I see they also have the already-assembled holsters for $50 which is like $30-$40 less than a Comp-Tac, that seems like a good buy?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Loucks posted:

If it weren't for that backstrap safety I would already own a PPS. Too bad, really, because otherwise it's the perfect carry weapon.

I dont understand why that would keep you from buying one? do you fear being attacked while you're disasembling your gun?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

dakana posted:

Awesome. I won't worry then.

And yeah, this weather is nuts. It's like spring is being skipped. I want more days of windows open before turning on the air conditioning... And I'm one of those people that had a hard time sleeping when it's warm.

where do you live?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

remington .22 of any sort is generally garbage. I have feeding issues all the time in my 22/45

someone on here recently said they have misfires with remington .22 in revolvers

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I got mine in Seneca county since I live 2 miles from the Sherrif's department. Got mine in 5 days

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

In the general questions thread someone was lamenting the lack of leather-kydex holsters that specifically support CZs to which I replied I intended to get something from Old Faithful Holsters since they specifically have one for the CZ-75 Compact. That was met with:

Bummey posted:

I have Crossbreed Supertuck 'Nam flashbacks when I see those. Comp-Tac's MTAC (for my PPS (I wish they'd make one for my PCR)) was the mental salve I needed to move on past my haunting memories.

Well, the memories of a disappointing holster. I'm still searching for a way to get over the rest of my life.

Please explain why Crossbreeds are so horrible and why Old Faithfuls seem to give you that same impression. I'm being serious as I have zero experience with holsters or carrying.

also as was mentioned shortly after that post the MTAC for the P-01 will work with the PCR, but what about the 75 Compact? Wouldnt the fact that the former are decocker models and the latter is a safety model make a big difference on the holster?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I know someone in this thread about a month ago said they got an Old Faithful kit, I'd love to hear how hes doing with it.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

so you dont shoot your nuts off?

*edit*

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

From reading this thread it seems the consensus is that Speer Gold Dots or Winchester Ranger T are the current hotness for carry ammo. What is the hivemind's thoughts on Hornady XTP or Hornady TAP? I ask because I'm finding those online for slightly less prices.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

no, Natchez has it for $20 for a box of 20. the stuff marked "Law Enforcement" comes in a box of 50 but only a few places I've found carries that (the one that comes to mind being ammotogo.com which sells that for $34)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

MisterOblivious posted:

http://streichers.com

what the hell. I was sort of excited to see they have gold dots and HST for like $28-$30 a box. Then I noticed they have Ranger Ts for $18 a box and poo poo myself. But they will sell the former to anyone but the Ranger Ts only to law enforcement

*edit* oh man free shipping on orders $129 and up, WHAT DO I NEED

Basticle fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 6, 2012

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

MisterOblivious posted:

Winchester actually enforces the "LE Only" markings.

Yeah but you can buy the LE stuff at other websites

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

well crisis averted as SGammo has 147gr Ranger T back in stock.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

jesus christ its gone already, glad I ordered when I could.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Got my holster

UBG Striker for my CZ-75 Comapact (also got a belt from him)

Its really comfy (though this is my first holster and dont know what to compare it to).

It has quickly revealed that my slovenly body dosent make it easy to carry such a big, heavy gun. I might be looking into a smaller gun for pocket carry in the hot, summer months.

appologies in advance for my goony figure

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

What I think he sees is just a crease in my wrinkled-to-hell shirt.

But thats standing up, if I bend over then yeah its pretty horrendous. I'll try moving it back to like a 5 o'clock position and see how that works.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

instead of a pain in the rear end its a pain in the junk

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lupara posted:

So I decided it was time to get my CHL, and with that decision I bought myself an XDm .45 compact . I picked it up online for a cool $535, and it should be at my FFL dealer on Tuesday. I'm so excited I don't know what to do with myself!

Practice Practice and Practice some more. Also try to ignore all the inevitable "shouldagotaglock" comments

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

You kinda really got ripped off.

not really?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Juice posted:

Your magazine appears to be backwards. Does your reload technique work with it like that?

I would assume he has the mag holder at like the 7 o'clock position for his left hand to grab, so no its not backwards.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Illegal Clown posted:

Yeah, I was surprised by how nice my class was. It probably helped that as a young white guy I was in the minority in my class. We had men and women of all ages and ethnic backgrounds there. There was no politics beyond the instructor having NRA signup sheets at the end. The only guy I didn't like was the guy who was a Baptist minister who was getting his CPL to protect him from the gays that were after him. He got a pretty big look from everyone when he said that.

This is a couple of pages back but in crazy CCW-classmates talk, everyone in my class was completely normal (although 90% had never even fired a gun before) except for the 50 year old guy who sat next to me who visibly seethed when the instructor (an attorney) told him that, no, you cannot legally murder someone who is tresspassing on your property.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Steeltalon posted:

There is a plain difference in trespassing and breaking and entry in to a home. Castle doctrine may include, home, vehicle or place of work (building) Trespassing only means illegal entry on to land (not a building.)

yeah the hypothetical discussion was whether someone was simply in your yard

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is the 124 grain +P pretty meh also? edit: The Rangers. I'm assume the HSTs are good in 124.

I prefer the recoil impulse of 147grain, but CZs are picky with bullet length and I need to have some 124s picked out in case the 147s won't feed.

I've put 147gr RA9T through my CZ-75 Compact without issue.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

On a serious note, this is a Bad Idea for two reasons:

1) as already mentioned any mugger who happens on you on the street is going to grab that bag first off. Congrats, you just armed some random mugger! This is why purse carry is considered so stupid for women.

2) I'm guessing you're afraid of carjackers? Diving for your bag on the passenger side is going to get you loving killed. The way those things work is you generally don't know you're hosed until the other guy is right up on you pointing a gun in your face. Generally, you're hosed. YOu're not going to out-draw someone who is already pointing a gun at you. The correct response is to get the gently caress out of the car ASAP and hope they're content with taking your vehicle. If you think they're going to hurt you then you take your chances and draw but oops! you just left your gun behind in the car in your purselaptop bag.

3) every retarded other thing that can happen to a bag that isn't on your body, ranging from leaving it in the restaurant by accident to the secretary's idiot 8 year old who she brought in on "take your daughter to work day" going through your poo poo and finding it.

Seriously, if you're going to carry you have a responsibility to keep control of your weapon, which carrying in a bag doesn't allow you to do. As if that alone isn't enough, you're also totally hosed in a lot of situations where you could conceivably need your gun.

It is literally the worst form of carry. Arguably it's better to not carry, it's that terrible. Get an ankle holster or something. As terrible as they are (and they're really loving terrible) they're still worlds better than off-body carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I've literally owned 3 different P239s. They just don't work for me for some reason. If I can't find a Walther PPS I'm going to start looking for a S&W 39, X39, or 39XX. Crossbreed still makes holsters for them so I'm not SOL as far as carrying goes.

at least get a 3953/3954 which is DOA and dosent have the awful slide safety

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

My first gen DAK SAS was an amazing pistol. I still kick myself for selling it.
Were you only shooting the DA/SA version, or did you try the DAK?

what I dont understand about the 239 is how the hell its so heavy (29oz) which is getting into alloy 1911 territory. hell my Double stack all steel CZ-75 Compact is 32.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Bummey posted:

How often do people see your belt? Unless you tuck in your shirt it should cover it.

Um lots of people tuck their shirts in.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

When carrying a gun? If you're using a gun belt as a gun belt then tucking it in isn't a great idea.

suit and jacket, man

or just a t-shirt and coat

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm probably going to pick up a LC9 this weekend. I need something very small that I can carry on my way to and from work and can leave in my car while at work. What are some good recommendations on tuckable IWB holsters?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

maybe I'm not using the correct terminology. I'm looking for the style of holster like the DeSantis Soft Tuck

As far as why not a Glock (did you ready my post?) this is something I'd only have on my while I'm in my car during my commute (an hour a day total) and then keep in my glove compartment while I'm at work (cant take it in with me) and I already have a CZ-75 Compact thats glock sized and far too large for my purposes.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Jabberwock posted:

Aaaaaaand caved. Just paid for a new Walther PPS from Buds. Next on the shopping list looks like some of those snazzy XS sights and an MTAC holster.

I regret nothing.

Which one did you order? WAP10001 or WAP10006 ?

Buds dosent mention it in the description but I'm pretty sure the 10006 is the MASS compliant version with a 10lb trigger (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rhandhali posted:

Well, I am back home and spent a few days looking at carry guns. Never had a chance to look at the Kahr, kel-tech or the LC9 but did put my hands on a Shield and a Beretta Nano. I did not care for the Nano at a

Then I found a guy on arms list selling a Shield 9, ammo and a Galco King Tuk holster for 500 so I jumped on that. Little more than I wanted to spend but I really like how the Shield felt in my hands and it was everything I needed all in one go. Hope to get it to the range when I get back from the holidays.

man thats a good deal

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Is $345 shipped for a NIB 38spl Ruger LCR a jump-on-it deal?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Loucks posted:

What high-quality, compact 10mm options exist outside of the G29 and that moonclip-accepting S&W K-frame? The current panic has me wondering what the funniest CCW response to mag capacity limits would be.

EAA Witness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Robot Danger posted:

I picked up my PPS today. I was under the impression that these were now only shipping with one magazine, but this one came with two of their sizes. Tomorrow I'm going to run as many rounds as I can through it and see if my baby hands still like the gun as much as they do right now.

I still have a few months before I can get my license and am in no rush to grab the Minotaur MTAC holster I plan on using, but about how much more width does that whole setup add?

They come from the factory with 2 but some douchebag dealers might take one out to sell seperately.

• Locked thread