Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Hello fellow ccw persons. I just have a couple quick questions.

How often do you condition your saddle leather holsters? I have a Galco Combat Master holster for my XD .45 and would like to get the most life out of this holster.

Secondly, do you have any thoughts on the Kel-tec pf9? I wanted to get a smaller gun to offset my XD and knew Kel-tec had a good name. However, it still seems that there are a few kinks still in this model. Just feel a little uneasy and feel I may have gently caressed the pooch by already putting it on layaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

DJExile posted:

you can say any swear word here. What you saw was a word filter for non-members.

Also as said before, Kel-Tec is awful.

loving awesome.

Also, this is what I get for listening to the two people who advised me. Both are staunch conservatives who think that if a gun is made in America it is superior. Feel I should have went with a Bersa Thunder (enjoy the feel more and blowback design).

Sounds like the Kel-tec will just be taking up some space in the safe. Pretty well stuck with it since I put down 50% cash and the layaway is non-refundable. Going talk to the gun dealer and see what my options might be.

Frog Tripper posted:

I carry with my Alessi OWB every day, and have never done a thing with the leather.

What is this "saddle" leather you speak of?
Are you a cowboy?

Sadly, I am just a hillbilly from West Virginia. Thanks for easing my fears about my lovely leather holster.

snotball007 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 12, 2012

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

beanieson posted:

Wow. Painfully short list here comparatively.

USP45
P2000sk 9mm

Still longer than mine.

Springfield XD 4" .45

Granted, I've only had my CCW since Monday.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

I think I found out today that I prefer pocket carry. I shall elaborate.

Picked up my Kel-tec pf9 from the gun shop yesterday. Ending up grabbing a 100 round value pack of Winchester White Box and had to settle on an Uncle Mike's IWB holster (the only holsters he carries apparently). I figured this will get me through until I can afford to grab another holster.

Got to the range and put a total of 107 rounds through the gun (the other 7 being Hornady Critical Defense, my carry round) and had 1 eject failure in the second magazine and 2 feed failures toward the end of the box of cheap ammo. Carbon build up was the cause of the feeding problems, not sure about the eject but it was only one round the entire day (probably me limp wristing).

On the way back I tried to get used to IWB but the belt clip is far too loose to hold up to moving from standing to sitting and vice versa. Tried again today at work to try a cross draw hold, but finally got fed up and threw it into my jacket pocket. Felt great and didn't have a problem the rest of the day. Going to give it a few more tries, but I feel I'll be grabbing a Bianchi 100 holster come payday for a proper IWB holster when I can't pocket carry in the summer.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

... I would shoot that gun some more before you carry it. That's not a comforting rate of failure.

I plan on going out again soon, need to adjust the sights with it as well. It's my only option right now considering my XD .45 exacerbates the arthritis in my knees to an unbearable level.

Hopefully it will also be the same time I get the +1 extended mag for it to try and save my hand on the recoil. Makes the tendon right above my thumb a bit sore if I'm not wearing a glove after about 60 rounds.

EDIT about the pocket carry/IWB holster:

Yes, I'm positive the holster is the problem for my IWB dilemma. The holster is barely acceptable but it's the belt clip being too loose that pushes it over the edge to be unbearable. And when I said "pocket carry" I should have clarified that I threw the holstered gun into my pocket and can use my thumb on the belt clip to easily draw the gun from my jacket pocket.

snotball007 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 26, 2012

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Cage Kicker posted:

I'm going to get my CWL soon and was wondering what price I'll generally be looking at for a decent pistol/awesome holster? I am dirt broke.

If it helps, I am about 6'3" and in decent shape. Not super picky about the gun although I used to have a 1911 I loved.

I'm also incredibly broke. I work a minimum wage job and layaway programs have become my saving grace until I get a better job.

My Kel Tec pf9 was $285 total, but it's a "buyer beware" situation with some of them. My XD .45 on the other hand, was over double that price (around $600) and is known for being a rather well built gun. A decent holster can run anywhere from $40 and up.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

How much, on average, should I anticipate S&H + FFL fees if I'm too acquire a gun from gunbroker or impactguns? I've started a very small fund for a small revolver and my gun dealer tends to not have quite what I'm looking for in this department. He said something along the lines of "fees eat you up" when talking about ordering a gun this way. He's also a bit weird though, it's the only place I have ever seen a Comanche in person...

MrKatharsis posted:

If the choice is between two $170 guns, then you should buy a $70 pair of running shoes and put the $100 towards your mafia loan. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming snotball doesn't have a relief from abuse order out against anyone.

Snarky reply: buy any drat gun you want because you'll never use it if you have a brain in your head.

I take it all in stride. And yes, I know my Kel Tec isn't the best option. I like it though, serves my uses quite well. It's small and fits my odd shaped hands quite nicely.

I agree with the snarky reply.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Been awhile since I've visited this thread, but must say that I enjoy carrying thanks to the advice.

Still carrying my PF-9 but looking to get a revolver next. Going to really have to test it out though because my carry is perfect. I'm a pocket carrier and it feels perfect with said gun. Took my cheap Uncle Mike's holster, used a needle + leatherman knife (in lieu of a seam ripper), and some patience.....Now I have a working pocket holster. Still working out the kinks of maybe adding a thumb bumper on the edge.

If I choose not to go the revolver route, I have been eyeing another 9mm. Has anyone heard anything about S&W's Shield MP9?

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Filthy Hans posted:

tl;dr: for a first-time carry piece, is a P228 too wide and heavy, or is it not a big deal?
Depends on how long you are going to wear it when you do. Weight can be a big factor.

I don't carry my XD 45 because of the shear weight. Even only half loaded it becomes a bear on my already terrible knees after a few hours. Concealability shouldn't be a problem depending on your size/clothing.

But of course, YMMV

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

emathey posted:

Yes it's called buy a real gun and don't trust your life to some potentially going to fail at any time milsurp pistol of unknown history/origin and then get something in 9mm or something besides 9x18 while you're at it.

Any gun is better than no gun. As long as it's properly taken care of and been taken to the range to get a handle on it, then the gun should be fine.

People trust their lives with .380 Seecamps (I personally don't know why) and it's actually a viable option.

But yeah, I'd upgrade as soon as you could because of the age of the gun and ammo availability. I can't think of any other option to help conceal besides a good IWB holster, belt, and a shirt that isn't made from thin fabrics. Something like a good polo construction.

snotball007 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 23, 2012

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Cyrano4747 posted:

For a carry gun on a really restricted budget you could do a lot worse.

Yeah, like a Kel-Tec pf9.

Sending mine on vacation here soon.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

infrared35 posted:

.380 is an acceptable self-defense cartridge, and Seecamps are good quality guns? Or are you just talking about what they could have gotten for the same price?

I really like my LWS-32, and I carry it occasionally, but I'm under no illusions about the relative effectiveness of .32 ACP.

Pretty sure he was breaking up my post in a quote from earlier. I'll explain why I don't understand Seecamp carry.

1. Incredibly Tiny. If you have the hands for it then good for you. But under stress, I would rather have a gun that I could feel more comfortable grabbing safely and pointing at the attacker. Which brings me to...
2. No sight picture. Considering the legal ramifications of once the bullet leaves the muzzle, I would want to make sure my shots are dead on. This basically leaves Seecamp into just a "belly gun" territory.
3. This is merely my assumption as I have never shot one, but I can't imagine the .380 version to be easy to control. And as for the other calibers they again are in a "belly gun" type category.

With that said, I'd put it in about the same category as derringers. But of course, to each his own. If it works and you like it then I don't see a problem.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Insane Totoro posted:

I know bullet setback is a concern in semi automatic pistols.

Can you eject defensive rounds from a revolver without concern for setback?

What causes setback is the bullet hitting the feed ramp as it's shoved into the chamber. With a revolver the bullet just stays in the cylinder. Just make sure to clean out the cylinder of a revolver after a day of shooting or you might end up with stuck brass.

Micromancer posted:

More like Captain Shortfingers

Grip safeties are a bad idea on a carry gun. The XD doesn't just use theirs to prevent trigger pull though - I forget what other thing it prevents but it was something kind of important like rack slide or release mag or something. This is why I was asking for a list of things it prevents because when I first encountered it I was put off enough to stop considering them as a carry option.

It does prevent trigger pull to a degree. Then if the grip safety is engaged the trigger finishes. It's not a stiff grip safety by any means either. Could easily fire with barely touching it. Shouldn't be a preventative thing, redundant on the other hand....

snotball007 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 29, 2012

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Dudeabides posted:

On the subject of setbacks and other carry round worries, I use Federal Hydra-Shock in my G19. I check my rounds every so often if I haven't swapped them out at the range but should I be concerned if the bullet itself is flattening? It's not being set back in the casing, the nose of the bullet just doesn't have the beveled edge it once had.

Also I swap the particular chambered round every time so no one round has been chambered and ejected more than once.

I agree with Bummey. Familiarize yourself, http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Again, that's bound to happen eventually with that particular round because of how it hits the feed ramp. My buddy who carries a Glock 23 along with Hydrashocks (sigh) has had a similar problem. All from unnecessarily racking/clearing the gun.

I personally use Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Excellent ballistics from what I have seen. Light 9mm without the worries of clogging.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

So, just found out a big difference between IWB and OWB carry. OWB is by far more terrible on joints than IWB. After thinking about it, it's a no brainer. OWB puts it further from the body, which in turn causes a shift in the geometry.

My personal experience, XD .45 in OWB holster was quite painful at work even when half loaded. Fully loaded (147gr PDX1) Sig p6 in King Tuk for 8 hours at a busy day at the same job (gas station, no sitting down, bare concrete floor) was only mildly problematic, tolerable.

Also, very pleased with my upgrade. Just thought I'd share about a difference that some may notice with IWB/OWB carry.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

QuarkMartial posted:

Not that I doubt what and how you feel, but does moving the gun about an inch, from inside the waistband to the outside really what made the difference?

You also changed guns and holsters. Did you happen to change shoes, belts, or anything else that might also affect your joint pain? What about spare mags and such?

Yes, it puts the weight more in line with the rest of my body. Less stress put on the joint. I can notice the pain is more centered in the middle of my knee and less intense where OWB was more towards the outside of the knee.

Being even an inch off in the human body can be miserable. The pro wrestler Raven has had many problems from his one leg being slightly shorter than the other. Plus IWB seems to be more secure and the OWB, gun doesn't flop around at all (Both Galco, King Tuk and Conceal Belt Holster).

The first day I didn't change anything besides carry/holster. Walked around quite a bit with it at an auction, consignment shop, and Walmart (about 6 hours total). Finally upgraded my belt (which was a step up from an extension cord) to a thicker two hole/two hook Walmart special but didn't wear that until the second day of the new rig (at work).

Zero spare mags, thanks Cabela's!

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

bigpolar posted:

You may think that it is just the echo chamber effect here telling you to invest in a good belt, but it really isn't. Try one for a day then return it if you don't feel a huge difference.

Actually, I was planning on getting one at local LE supply store. But only had the old phone number so that was a no go (wife has cancer so sporadic hours).

Turns out my Cabela's only sells cowboy belts. May get one online next paycheck.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Bummey posted:

Stop it. That wasn't a cue to begin.

My favorite place to drive is actually Canada on the QEW. Sure, people do the same stuff but at a responsible 85+ mph. Not sure how there aren't more wrecks, but seriously a hoot to drive.

Content: So I upgraded my carry to a p6/Galco King Tuk. I had some minor surface rust on the gun when I started wearing it and noticed some of the rust has transferred to the holster. Think a good dousing of Rem Oil would be a good idea to clean it out with?

Saint Darwin posted:

I actually have a CCW question. While reading up on it, obviously one cannot CC while intoxicated. How do I deal with this? Do I just not bring it at all if I go into a bar? Do I take it out and put it in my glove compartment/the compartment of the vehicle I'm in? What if I become accidentally intoxicated, like if I went out to dinner and a friend showed up and we ended up taking a few shots while catching up?

Always a safe bet to leave it in the locked glovebox (or unlocked, depending on the neighborhood). I would check local/state statutes/laws as well considering some places make it illegal to carry anywhere alcohol is present. I know Ohio only changed the law last year to where you can now carry in an alcohol serving restaurant (Applebees be damned). I usually just throw it in a glovebox if I plan on drinking anyway.

snotball007 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 13, 2012

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Boner Wad posted:

Hey fat goons, how/what/where do you carry? My chub on my 9 and 3 o'clock pushes my gun in a comptac mtac out enough to where I'm printing. It also seems like when I move the holster back more I still print.

Maybe I have to start wearing Hawaiian shirts, although my wife probably won't like my new wardrobe. I normally wear an untucked polo shirt. Any other suggestions for fatties like me so I can carry more often?

Try 4 to 5. Usually more comfortable too. I wear untucked polos with a light tank underneath.

In the meantime, try to drop the pounds.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Illegal Clown posted:

Yeah, I was surprised by how nice my class was. It probably helped that as a young white guy I was in the minority in my class. We had men and women of all ages and ethnic backgrounds there. There was no politics beyond the instructor having NRA signup sheets at the end. The only guy I didn't like was the guy who was a Baptist minister who was getting his CPL to protect him from the gays that were after him. He got a pretty big look from everyone when he said that.

I guess I'm lucky. Had a private class with a few friends and our instructor really knew his stuff. Even got into ballistics and importance. Learned quite a bit with 0 racism. All the questions people had were about proper guns to carry and what not, nothing about black people...although might have been because my instructor was a very large black man.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

widefault posted:

This is in Wisconsin, where Hunters Safety, proof of military service, or a four hour class is all you need. No live fire, and the only firearms handling was loading snap caps into a magazine, chambering a round, then clearing the gun. We used the instructors personal weapon, which was a Walther PPS. Kind of a bad choice to me, the paddle release was confusing to the others in the class, but apparently the store hadn't offered to loan a pistol from their stock.

I'm in West Virginia, same thing basically. We didn't need weapons to take the class, but the instructor insisted because he actually wanted to make sure we knew how to properly handle a firearm. It was when he used my gun to demonstrate caliber difference.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Or, correct me if I'm wrong, go for the p250 in subcompact. Last I have seen the price is pretty low on them. Seems like a solid option for the price even if you never use the modular capabilities.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Basticle posted:

This is a couple of pages back but in crazy CCW-classmates talk, everyone in my class was completely normal (although 90% had never even fired a gun before) except for the 50 year old guy who sat next to me who visibly seethed when the instructor (an attorney) told him that, no, you cannot legally murder someone who is tresspassing on your property.

I live in a Stand Your Ground state, so this doesn't apply to me.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

TheChaplain posted:

I only appendix carry, and can say that I've started wearing my pants higher than I used to. Mostly it matters if I'm driving or sitting at a restaurant, rather than hiking or walking the dog. If I get my belt up a couple inches below my navel, with a canted holster a LC9 really doesn't dig into my leg much at all.

I feel like I print way too much at 3 o'clock to carry there with a t-shirt, even with such a compact piece. Maybe with an over-shirt I'd be more comfortable.

Have you tried undershirts? I grabbed a few cheap ones from Wal-Mart (Hanes tanktops) and they are incredibly light and seem to help my issue (being a fatass). I'm not a huge fan of having a large button up overshirt. I <3 my polos too much.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

TheChaplain posted:

Kel Tecs are generally sneered upon here due to an alleged lack of long term durability, though I've no experience with them to test that claim. Even the guy who tried to sell me one told me that the rumors of lovely durability are 'exaggerated,' which still wasn't what I wanted to hear for a carry gun.

I own a Pf-9. Either get a lemon or a great gun due to a lack of QC it seems. Mine has barrel peening after 100 rounds of WWB and 14 of Critical Defense.

These small guns aren't meant to be range queens, but my problem is solely due to them using an entire batch of slides that were out of spec. I can only recommend them to someone who has experience in diagnosing and/or minor smithing experience.

They are okay, but it's really a gamble as opposed to spend an extra $50-$100 on a better quality gun. Btw, carrying mine right now as my p6 is still on my work bench (kitchen table).

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

rifles posted:

The XDS is smaller in every dimension than the Glock 36, especially in the slide, where it is .23" thinner, and overall only 1" total at the frame. The G36 is just a hair under the size of a Glock 19, whereas the XDS is the size of a Shield.

Just because it is an XD doesn't mean it is automatically bad or inferior, nobody else is making anything quite like it.

Don't try and use logic here. If it doesn't have an ungodly grip angle and terrible trigger then it's obviously bad.

I'd personally go Shield or Glock for the enhanced capacity over the XDs. But for size and sights, the XDs wins.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seriously, if you're going to carry you have a responsibility to keep control of your weapon , which carrying in a bag doesn't allow you to do. As if that alone isn't enough, you're also totally hosed in a lot of situations where you could conceivably need your gun.

This is the biggest concern with carrying. Your weapon should always be in your control. Close, retained properly, and easy to access in stressful situations.

I wouldn't recommend ankle carry for the later and how you are usually going to be in shorts from what I understand.

I would recommend a belly band to start off with since it seems it's the most accommodating for your odd lifestyle (working out and being successful, weirdo). I haven't tried it for myself, but have heard it's great.
For what I have experienced, I would recommend a pocket carry setup. I also only recommend this system if you have intermediate experience with handgun safety. A proper holster and practice make a world of difference. It has its own drawbacks (like being ready to strip the holster off if gun+holster come out together in a draw). Just be warned that it isn't as "safe" as other methods and that's why some are not fans. With a good holster, you aren't going to blow your knee cap off unless you're really trying to do so.

Either way, smaller self defense guns are about the same size and slightly heavier than a smartphone with an otterbox. Even without being in a traditional IWB setup it still shouldn't be a problem with a belly band or pocket holster. Just not as easy to access as compared to IWB. No matter what you have to make some compromise considering it's a freaking hunk of metal that expells smaller hunks of metal at high velocities.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that there's nothing saying you can't put some padded work gloves on if you want to get some serious trigger time on your featherweight carry piece using full-powered ammo. It doesn't completely eliminate the problem, but it sure as poo poo keeps you shooting longer.

I personally prefer those leather weight lifting gloves that have the fingers cut off. Makes shooting a far better joy with lightweight pistols. Plus I look like a badass.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I currently own the M&P which I'm considering selling. I had a fullsize and compact 1911 and they are just too heavy. Maybe something with an alloy frame would work, but I highly doubt I can afford a reliable aluminum framed 1911.

What about the HK P7? The only way I could afford it would be to sell the M&P and add in my current gun money, but I would consider it if it would end this stupid search.

Are there any other single stacks 9mms I'm forgetting?

How many Sig p6's have you tried? Aside from the god-awful factory 24lb spring and plastic grips (both of which can be corrected) it's a quite nice carry. Being surplus they tend to hover around $400. Might be worth looking at, even if the p239 didn't suit you.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

I never saw the need for a truck gun. I'm almost always carrying my Sig p6. When I know I have to go to a no carry zone, that is when I pocket carry my PF-9. Just makes it easier to take off and throw in a glovebox if necessary.

Working at a garage, I've seen many different ways that cars have been broken into. Sometimes you don't even notice until something important comes up missing. I don't trust leaving any valuables in my car for less than a few minutes out of my sight.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

infrared35 posted:

That's because you don't live in bear country.

Bingo, just hillbilly land.

Every now and then we get raped by mother nature (storm in August, usually miserable winters). But having a 4wd/AWD vehicle makes getting home easy. 99% of companies around here will let you go home if a bad storm is approaching. After the blizzard of '94 we learned the importance of having well stocked pantries and canning our own goods. Not being able to have running water, electricity, or a ready food source for a month pretty well sucked.

Although living in bear country sounds more fun/exciting with that constant death thing always a possibility.

EDIT: After thinking about it, all the reasons against a truck gun are moot in bear country. gently caress bears.

snotball007 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 26, 2012

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

You lucky jerks. Some of us freaks have to special order our clothes (44x36 Levis and size 16 New Balance).

I do agree about the IWB being a bit awkward until you get the hang of how the particular gun carries. I carry my P6 in a King Tuk at about 5 o' clock (Front clip lines up with the tail end of my front pocket). Using an inferior thick walmart double holed belt has lead to an odd issue. Basically, when I end up having to pull the gun up, the holster drags up my boxer shorts a few inches. By the course of an 8 hour work day, ends up feeling like a speedo. Going to have to get a better belt.

Using an undershirt with a polo over top makes me the perfect blend of business casual and lethal goon/sperglord. It's comfortable, but not yet truly perfect.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Has anyone done comparisons between a Beretta Nano and Sig p290? I'm looking to replace my pf-9 with another smallish gun to pocket carry. I've considered others, but I feel these two are the best options for me. Been quite interested in the Nano after handling one on Thursday.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Everything about that holster...

Now if only I owned a revolver that I could do that with...

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

So, just picked up a S&W 637. I like the feel, lightness, and it being my first revolver. My question is; does anyone know of a good and reliable self defense round to shoot out of the sub-2" snub nose barrel? I bought some 158gr +p semi-wadcutters but don't think they open too reliably after the videos I have seen using 4 layer denim. I'm probably going to go Critical Defense, but would like to have a few more options.

Also, is the forcing cone area supposed to be rough or were they supposed to polish that? Feels like they skipped the polishing on mine if it was. Almost seems like they just cut the barrel and thew it in there without a thought to polishing it. No burrs inside the barrel, just curious.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

infrared35 posted:

And as Elmer Keith always said, "two holes are better than one!"

As long as there's nobody else around to get hit by your perpetual-motion bullet.

I mean, I guess if I get really good then the sternum and spine will keep said bullet from over-penetrating.

I should have said "expand" instead of "open", but I blame that entirely on tn9outdoors youtube channel where he makes bullets sound like flowers with their petals and whatnot. All I have seemingly found is Golden Sabers, the aforementioned Speer, and Critical Defense that actually expand reliably in the denim test from a 2" snub nose.

Part of me is really wanting to compile this data and show it anytime I hear someone say "No matter what, the 9mm is such a hot round that it will always penetrate the person. Doesn't matter if it's a hollow point or not." right as they are grabbing UMC hollow points as self defense rounds....

EDIT: I should also feel like I should say that I know what Dr. Roberts recommends. Just want to get some good suggestions, the help is appreciated.

snotball007 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 20, 2013

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

infrared35 posted:

Those are some of the best modern choices, but if you want to go old school there's always Federal Nyclads.

I mean, there's got to be a reason they're still making them after all these years, right guys?

I sort of want them after seeing this. I think you will also enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z730DvvRyd8

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I've never really been a fan of Glocks, they just don't fit my small hands very well. The last one I shot was a 2nd or 3rd gen G17 (I know Full Size vs. Compact, but the width and design of the grip is nearly identical, right?) range rental and I just couldn't make myself like it. Sig Sauers, at least the P226 and P220, fit my hand like a glove. Is there anything comparable to the G19 only made by Sig? Their catalog has expanded in the past few years and I haven't really kept up (but the P232 is still as sexy as ever )

I'd try to get some time in with a p229 in 9mm if you can find one. I know that the 40s&w version can be had around $550 used. Unsure about a used one in 9mm since I have yet to see one IRL, new or used. A p228 is what I carry, but they are somewhat uncommon and have fun trying to locate good mags for it in the current market.

Polymer Sigs have their own little quirks, but are just as reliable and accurate as any other Sig. An SP 2022 can usually be had on the cheap. The p250 can be as well, but that's mainly due to it being one of the least loved models of all time for Sig Sauer.

snotball007 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 27, 2013

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Butch Cassidy posted:

This conversation is about a guy who already has a Mak and self-important neckbeards all but telling him to not dare use it and go buy a Glock with custom leather right the gently caress now.

He's got to get an MTAC or the hive mind will cringe.

Carry what you can for now and save for a better handgun in the future. The best gun is the one you have on you. Insert other words of advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

jdonz posted:

My local Cabelas had one Glock, new or used, when I was in there last weekend, and it was a 20. They had ton of Sigs though.

Same with my Cabela's, a ton of used ones too. It's hard to not fondle a used p229 whenever I'm there. I figure everybody who wanted a gun before they became illegal got an evil black Glock during the rush. Wouldn't surprise me if Cabela's managed to get a cheap rate on police/military bulk trade in Sigs.

• Locked thread