Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Comp-Tac has a dealer locator on their website. They actually have quite a few stocking dealers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

I've never shot a Ruger LCP before. Is it difficult to handle? Could a girl use it?

It is a little flippy, but not too bad. It is much more controllable if you use mags with the finger extension.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

I had a SuperFly. I loved the sticky coating on it. but I didn't like the flat on top of the slide. It made it look like I was always walking around with a book or something in my pocket.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

DJExile wanted me to come in here and tell you that you are all loving morons for not realizing the worth of trigger discipline. In his immortal words "NO FINGER, NO BANG."

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Diver Dick posted:

Just because I carry an XD doesn't mean I'd rape your dog

Yes it does. :colbert:

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yes.

Yes.

To expand on this, the store is private property, so they can make their own rules. In some places no carry signs don't hold any legal weight (like in MI), but other places they do. If I carry in a store with a no carry sign here, the most they can do is ask me to leave. If I refuse I am then guilty of trespassing.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

I have had the Nemesis, the Super Fly or whatever it is called, and a no name leather holster. The Super Fly was the thickest. Also, check out this pocket holster. needknees had one for his LCP and I keep meaning to order one.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

infrared35 posted:

...except in states where there's civil immunity tied in with castle doctrine.

:motherfuckinfistbump: Finally something Michigan did right.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

DJExile posted:

Oh goddamnit Chapel Hill, I knew that :doh:

So do any of the left-leaning eggheads go on to change genders like that gun/history researching egghead from... gently caress I forget where again. He was on all those Discovery channel shows related to guns. Blond guy (well, former guy) :v:

More on topic, are there any places to find MTAC bodies other than Comp-Tac themselves? I've been trying to track down one for either a Glock 17 or the 9/40/357 slide version.

I have a slide. You can't have it though. I don't know if their stocking dealers carry MTAC bodies or not, but you can give them a try. Or just order one from the site. Their production time is only a week or so, plus candy.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Should have called the co... Oh wait.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

I don't know what you wear when you ride, but what about a neck holster? Obviously not ideal for carry every day, but it might be ok for rides with an LCP or something. This one is made by Raven Concealment.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Or wait for the Boberg XR9S, but who knows when that is coming, or at what cost.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Crayvex posted:

On a completely different note, are there any Michigan goons who have renewed their CPL? Mine will be expiring in 2011 and I'm curious what I'm going to need to do for renewal.

Mine expires then too. As far as renewals, I think you just go to the county, fill out the form again, and pay. You don't need to be fingerprinted again. You are supposed to take a "refresher" course, but there is no certificate requirement, and range time counts, so just initial the box. I am not sure where you are from or if this even applies to renewals, but in Macomb County you still have to go in front of a gun board for the initial licensing, which is ridiculous.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Yea, mine was originally issued in Oakland too. How long before expiration do you need to reapply?

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Yep, don't have to do that anymore if your permit was issued after 1/1/06. Also, no going in front of the gun board for renewals. I am getting scammed out of 4 months for my $105 though, since they are changing renewal dates to your birthday now.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Crayvex posted:

So wait... the permit expires earlier? My birthday is in September but my permit expires in March of 2011. When do I renew?

Your CURRENT permit will still expire on its stated date. When you renew you will still pay the $105 fee, but it will expire on your birthday in 4 years. Instead of extending your permit from 3/xx/2011 to 3/xx/2016, it will go from 3/xx/2011 to 9/xx/2015. So you will really only get 4.5 years out of your 5 year extension.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Mr. 47 posted:

Jesus Christ, I'll promise to duct tape the drat thing to the underside of my ball sack if a couple people could share their experience with the Ruger LCP versus the LCR or other pocket pistols.

The LCR would be fine for IWB carry, but it is too large for ankle or pocket carry unless you wear Hammer pants. The LCP is tiny and perfect for pocket carry.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

pulphero posted:

My taurus 605 is not that noticeable in the front pocked of my cargo shorts.

Your Taurus probably doesn't have a giant rubber dong for a grip. An LCR with a boot grip might be ok, but it is still too thick for pocket carry in my opinion.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Mr. 47 posted:

FAKE EDIT: I can't really comment on how it resembles a dong.

Suuuuure.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Whenever I've been in one (usually while driving through the midwest) the used guns are always REALLY hit or miss. I've seen $400 Springfield 1903s in beautiful shape on sale next to Mosin m44s that were priced at $200 (note that this is back when M44s cost about $75 through AIM or someone like that).

The same goes for buying at GM as it does at pawn shops or anywhere else really. If you know what you are looking for, or looking at, or can do any sort of research at all, you should be fine.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

timb posted:

Speaking of holsters, does anyone have experience with the Galco Concealable Belt Holster?

Right now I'm carrying a S&W 642 Airweight in their Ultra Deep Cover IWB holster, but it's not the most comfortable thing in the world for me. (I like the concept, but I think it would work out better with a single stack 9mm or something.)

The Galco Concealable looks pretty good to me, but I'm just worried about flop when walking. (I get that a lot with my Colt Agent .38 in a Galco FLETCH.)

I used to carry an SP101 in one of these, and it was a good holster. It is small enough that it shouldn't flop on you at all. That said, get a good belt and you won't ever have to worry about flop again.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

My first "gun belt" was a 5 stitch Wilderness. It doesn't even compare to my Beltman belt.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Boner Wad posted:

Do you wear a gun belt on your normal pants? Why does the belt need to be stiff? The wilderness belts don't seem to be stiff, how are those better?

I wear my Beltman belt every day. With khakis when at work and I am not carrying; with jeans when I am off, carrying or not. It keeps my pants in place and I loving hate sagging pants and the people that wear them. I even wear it with shorts. Stiffness helps to distribute the weight of the gun better. The wilderness belts are not stiff. Maybe if you got one with an internal stiffener it would be better. My Beltman also has a stiffener. It is in great shape still even after two years of almost everyday wear.

HFX, I had a CTAC when i was carrying a 1911 and it was fantastic. The MTAC will be more comfortable.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

I got the square buckle, and it sits pretty flat. It is obviously twice as thick there, so it is going to stick out a little, but it isn't noticeable.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Uncle Caveman posted:

The DeSantis sticky holsters are okay, but this pocket holster is better.

How easily you can draw depends on the type of pants. I have no trouble drawing from the back pocket of jeans (with either the DeSantis SuperFly or Aholster kydex); front pocket is a little more difficult but still doable.

Seriously, this Aholster is the poo poo. I pimp them every chance I get.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I would just get a used gen3. save yourself the money and the wait. gen4s are sweet, dont get me wrong, but nothing about them strikes me as being worth the extra money and time.

I agree with this. Nobody really know when the Gen4s will be out anyway, and I imagine they will be tough to find for a while after they are released.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

or he could buy the 19 kydex so that he can still holster the 26 and also fit a 19 without bumping the muzzle up and out.

I have an MTAC slide and it has never moved. Slides are only a problem OWB.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Count Sacula posted:

This will be my first holster purchase, so the 19 holster will still wear the same way, just be longer? I just want to make sure I don't pull a Plaxico... Plus if I like the 26 enough I might just buy a 19 down the road, would be sweet to have one holster for both.

Whats the "slide" version?

The slide version will allow you to carry any 9/357/40 caliber glock in it, regardless of frame size. So you can carry 17/19/26/34 etc. all with the same MTAC body.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

DJE is pretty much right. Seems like you can get 1000 rounds for a little over 33 cents a round, but if you want lower round counts it is 50 cents plus. But here is 1000 rounds of Blazer Brass for $285 plus shipping.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

HFX posted:

More likely, I'll keep trying to find an MTAC for my 1911. A lot of places seem to be out of stock.

You can order one directly from Comp-Tac and have it in about a week.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Boner Wad posted:

Any recommendations on a handheld tactical illuminator flashlight that has a strobe function with a momentary on function? I'm planning on adding it to my nightstand and using it for training. Oh yeah, if it could be affordable, that would be great.

I have a Fenix PD30 in my pocket right now that does this. It also has an SOS mode.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

:jihad::hf::clint:

Though, it is a bit small. I'd rather it be a little bit fatter to get a better grip on it. If I was going to get a light for a nightstand it'd probably be a Fenix TK12.

If your HD gun has a rail on it, the Streamlight TLR-1S has a strobe function. That might be a better option depending on your needs.

Yea, I got the PD30 specifically for pocket carry. If it was just for all around use I would get something bigger. Also, an HD gun should have a light on it, you shouldn't rely on having a free hand to hold a light with.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Boner Wad posted:

My gun is both a CCW and HD gun. I don't want to have to take on and off a tactical gun light every time I come home. Obviously, purchasing another handgun just for home defense would be ideal, but finances limit that. Also, having a flashlight that I can throw in my pocket would be nice, so I might end up looking at the PD30.

Or get a CCW rig that will take your gun with a light mounted. Lots of places make these now.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

DJExile posted:

Pretty sure Raven or Crossbreed makes a holster that allows carry with things like the TLR-1.

Raven makes them for sure. I have one incoming for my G19 with TLR1. Be prepared to wait though. I ordered mine back in May and it won't ship for another week or two. If you are close, hitting them up at a gun show or one of the MI ACTS events is a much faster way.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Homie S posted:

Real quick MTAC question with those of you who have GLOCK 19 and/or 26s...

Can I interchange one or the other with one MTAC body? For example, order a 19 body (I already own an MTAC in a completely different model), and then if I were to own a 26 AND a 19 they would work in the same holster? I know this usually doesn't work but I'm just curious. If not, does anyone know of such a IWB holster?

The 26 will probably fit in a 19 body, but you should really just order the 9/357/40 slide body since it was designed to be used with different lengths.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Totally TWISTED posted:

http://highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Pocket_Grabber/_pocket_grabber.html

I just bought this exact holster for my new Kel Tec PF-9 and really like it. Full disclosure: I haven't used a different pocket holster ever so I can't compare it to anything but I will say that I wouldn't recommend a kydex holster for pocket carry. I doubt the comfort would be high with such a holster.

Regarding durability, I have used another High Noon holster for my P99 for 3 years and it's still going strong.

I disagree completely. I have used the DeSantis Nemesis and Superfly, and I currently have a leather pocket holster from some company that I can't recall right now, and my aholster is the best of the bunch. It is the thinnest, the lightest, and it holds the gun extremely well. It is designed to catch on the pocket on the draw, and the gun releases from the holster much smoother than a leather holster or whatever DeSantis makes their gear from.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Tom Swift posted:

Oh wait I'm in Canada, frack me!

I'm 5' 10" on a good day and 165ish lbs Can conceal a full Glock 17 with TLR-1 in a Raven Concealment holster with relative ease. I wouldn't wear that t shirt it was so thin you could see through it with the slightest bit of printing.

Is that holster RIDICULOUSLY loving TIGHT with the light? I just got a Raven for a G19 with TLR1 and getting the gun in or out seems way more difficult than it should be. I need to loosen it up somehow.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Tom Swift posted:

It's pretty tight nothing crazy. Do you have a good belt I can imagine it being difficult with any sort of belt that gives way.

I have the best belt. Maybe I'll just take a heat gun to it after another 100 holster/reholsters.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Buffalo Bore 100gr Flat Nose +P. Muzzle Velocity: 1125 fps, Muzzle Energy: 280 ft. lbs. Though you should check your manual. Ruger says not to use +P in the LCP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Uncle Caveman posted:

Stormy, you're using the hard-cast flatnose stuff, right? I've been carrying the standard pressure version in my LCP... I have less than complete faith in JHP loads being able to both expand & penetrate reliably out of such a short barrel; I figure a 100gr flatnose bullet that won't deform will perform better at that velocity.

Yea, flatnose hard cast. The problem with all of the ballistics I have seen in 380ACP HP's is penetration. Most, if not all of them, fail to meet the recommended depth in gel tests. That is exactly why I got the flatnose.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

does anybody prefer anything else in .380 to the LCP for pocket carry?

i was looking at the Taurus 709 Slim 9mms.... i know its a taurus but i figure it cant be any worse than a kel-tec pF9

The new S&W Bodyguard is interesting. I wish that it didn't have a manual safety though. DAO+Manual safety=:negative: The new LCR in .38 Special with the boot grip might be another possibility, but I would have to try it out before I bought it. I still think it would be too wide for pocket carry. White Stormy has a Taurus TCP (that he paid more than MSRP for, fool) that is ok. I haven't shot it, but it feels pretty well put together. And except for the most molded holsters, it will fit in anything meant for the LCP.

Black Stormy fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 31, 2010

• Locked thread