Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Do you wear a gun belt on your normal pants? Why does the belt need to be stiff? The wilderness belts don't seem to be stiff, how are those better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Any recommendations on a handheld tactical illuminator flashlight that has a strobe function with a momentary on function? I'm planning on adding it to my nightstand and using it for training. Oh yeah, if it could be affordable, that would be great.

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 10, 2010

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

AR posted:

I'm curious as to why strobe would be a requirement. What do you use it for?

Strobe can make you ill and at least makes people look away from your flashlight.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Black Stormy posted:

Yea, I got the PD30 specifically for pocket carry. If it was just for all around use I would get something bigger. Also, an HD gun should have a light on it, you shouldn't rely on having a free hand to hold a light with.

My gun is both a CCW and HD gun. I don't want to have to take on and off a tactical gun light every time I come home. Obviously, purchasing another handgun just for home defense would be ideal, but finances limit that. Also, having a flashlight that I can throw in my pocket would be nice, so I might end up looking at the PD30.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

If you're going to a family members house do you ask before entering their house if it's okay to carry? Seems like the right thing to do.

Do you feel okay keeping your gun inside your car? What if it was overnight?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

:eng101: FDIC-Insured banks are, to a degree, federal property. It's the fed's law, not the bank's own decision.

Also hey TFR I bought some bullets.

And I did the only rational thing I could think of with them.

That looks like Hornady Critical Defense. I've been in between three options for my .40S&W carry... Hornady Critical Defense 165gr, Speer Gold Dot 155gr or 180gr, Winchester Ranger T series 165gr or 180gr.

Any recommendations? Do I want the heaver bullet?

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 5, 2010

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

While holstering in my MTAC, my pants get pulled down. I'm using some American Eagle leather belt. How much is a nice leather gun belt going to help with that?

Also I'm fat so I think the leather is pushing in a little bit. I'm thinking of letting the tension screws out a little bit. When holstering my P229 it goes a little out of battery until I push the slide forward.

My wife says it's because I don't have an rear end though.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

cornface posted:

I've got a Comp-Tac belt with the stiffener, and my wife's belt is the Crossbreed one with no stiffener. There is not a huge difference in how stiff they are. The thin plastic stiffener is kind of secondary to the two thick layers of leather.

How do you like the Comp-Tac one? I've heard good things about those belts.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

cornface posted:

Pulling your pants up helps a lot with concealment issues, too because it lets the butt of your gun pull in towards your body instead of jutting out to the side where it hits your hip bone.

I have problems with this because my lovehandles get in the way. If I move my gun father back to 4 o'clock, the tail end of the magazine prints too much.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

standardtoaster posted:

After spending an afternoon at the Parks Mall in Arlington, TX, I've decided to get my CHL.

I have a G19, but now I have an excuse to buy another handgun. I have a huge crush on CZs. Does anyone carry a CZ83? I know they're on the larger end of the .380 spectrum, but they make me drool.

Were you accosted by a hoodlum there? I'm not familiar with Arlington.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Local place only had Hornady Critical Defense in .357 SIG for some reason. They found a case of .40 S&W for me though. Still was $19.99 for 20 rounds per box... :(

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Homie S posted:

P229

Are you running an MTAC with that? How deep do you keep each of the MTAC clips? I have a hell of a time concealing my P229 in my MTAC but I've been sticking with the default setting on the clips. I'm also fat.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

poopgiggle posted:

Why?

Haven't had a lot of time to mess around with the settings. I moved them both down one and then the gun was too far down under my pants. I should try to mess around with them again instead of posting here :)

Mainly I'm just wondering what other people use for their MTAC and P229.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

What is TFR's thoughts on flashlights? I think I have three options for conceal carry: no flashlight, carry a flashlight, or weapon system mounted flashlight (I'm thinking TLR-1s).

My preference is not to carry a flashlight on a belt. I currently have an MTAC for IWB carry but I don't see an option for weapon system mounted lights when ordering MTAC kydex shells. I'll probably have to order a Raven or some other brand that does offer gun+light holsters. This seems like it could get expensive. I'm willing to down that path but I'm really not sure if it's advantageous to go that route. I may just end up purchasing the TLR just for at home anyways.

So what should I do? What works for you?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

The Bananana posted:

I know viridian makes a couple of holsters for it's gun mounted lasers/lights. FWIW, I personally love my CL5, but I'm not sure of TFR's opinion of Viridian, since I don't think I've ever seen that company mentioned in here.

It looks like a decent product to me. Only problem is that right now I'm carrying a Sig P229R and it looks like they don't make Kydex holsters for it.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

I'm not too worried about weight, I think I'm more concerned with is do I really need a weapon mounted light or not? I can see that if I needed light and I needed to shoot something, I'd much prefer to have something mounted. But am I ever going to need it? Is it just better to have a flashlight anyways and if I ever need to shoot in the dark, I just won't have a good grip?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Having a three month lead time on a holster sucks especially when I'm not 100% sure what gun I want to carry as I'm still not sure if I'm always going to carry a P229. Then I'd have to figure out if I want a light and then I'd have to decide which light to buy before I buy the holster. Maybe I should just buy a flashlight that's not weapon mounted for now and buy one later...

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

infrared35 posted:

:rock:

What light do you have mr infrared35? Is this at all comfortable?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

infrared35 posted:

TLR-1, and it is very comfortable.

What if you don't attach the TLR-1 and holster, is it still secure in there? I guess I could always have my MTAC for that.

Also, is the TLR-1 and TLR-1s the same size? I'm assuming they would be and wouldn't need to buy a specific TLR-1s holster.

Now I feel retarded that I have an MTAC instead of this.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

infrared35 posted:

It's not really secure without the light. It'll hold it well enough for casual range use, but I wouldn't actually carry it that way. Besides, why would you carry the gun without a light anyway? :raise:

I'm really not sure if I need to have a weapon mounted light or not for daily CCW. I can understand for home defense, but I'd end up dropping another $200 on equipment for something I'm not sure I want to use. I might just pick up a small flashlight like a Nitecore EX11 and carry it while I figure out what the hell I want to do.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

infrared35 posted:

Having a separate flashlight is very handy, but so is having a weapon light. Even if you never go out after dark, have you ever been in a department store when the power went out? And what if, at that point, there was a shootout?

I think I'm only half joking. I can't even tell any more.

But statistically speaking, the majority of gunfights occur in reduced lighting conditions.

I've been inside of buildings when the power goes out a few times. I wouldn't want to pull a gun out because it was my only flash light though. I haven't been inside of a building where a shootout was occurring though.

I do agree that it seems like most shootings take place in reduced light situations.

I think I'm going to put it on my list of stuff to buy a TLR-something (lasers are cool) and a Raven holster in the future but just get a hand held light in the interim.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Naramyth posted:

Carry another flashlight. It is not like the light on your gun needs to be your only light, and the extra weight would be negligible. And 2 is 1 and stuff :downs:

I'm going to need more pockets. I should just switch to wearing 5.11 tactical pants instead of jeans. :)

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 13, 2010

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Does anyone have the Kaluban Cloak holster? Looks very similar to the Raven ones.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

I am fat and find carrying difficult without printing. I have a P229 in an MTAC, which mostly works except for the end of the magazine sticks out enough from my body to print. I also have a Backhawk CQC serpa 2 that is way more comfortable for me to wear and I don't even notice it when I'm wearing my Comp-tac gun belt. The problem is that I'm fat and OWB is really hard to conceal without wearing some sort of overshirt, an oversized fleece, or a big coat. I also noticed if I cant it very similarly to the MTAC it conceals a little easier. I also have a habit of taking off whatever I'm wearing on top when I'm in stores like a mall or restaurants, especially if it's cold out, which would make me open carry and get a bunch of unwanted attention.

Any fat guy ideas for carrying?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

100% Dundee posted:

I noticed that as well the first time I took a look at it, but then I looked at the magazine capacity. For the 9mm it says 6-8, what would that be in .40 or .45? 4-5 rounds maybe?

Also this beauty just game in the mail yesterday.

Nice and snug.

Is that the Raven Concealment? Looking nice :). How long did it take to arrive?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

HEY INSANE TOTORO YOU TOTALLY SHOULD. LOOK AT THIS AWESOME MTAC HOLSTER MY rear end.

Nice purple stretchy shirt. I'm totally jealous.

Looks like the end of the magazine might print in that configuration though.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

I was kind of twisted oddly to get the picture. Honestly, PPS + MTAC would loving vanish under anything I wore. Fantastic combination.

Also Under Armour shirts own. If you live in any humid areas you owe it to yourself to have a couple.

They always make me sweat more or at least I notice my sweat more. Maybe I have the wrong type.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Chantilly Say posted:

The 239 is interesting, and I liked it a lot when I got the chance to shoot one, but I can't think of a situation where I could carry one but not a G19. If SIG made it double-stack, I'd be more interested.

That's called a Sig P229 :) It's a little bigger than a Glock 19 though, but plenty of people carry these and P226's.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

If you have archives, go back like 2 or 3 years on TFR. I was browsing the other day and was surprised at how USPc box threads there were back then, considering I never see them here anymore. You might get some opinions that way. You might also consider the P30 if you want to stay H&K, better ergos (imo) but no cocked and locked option, if that's important.

How about the P2000 or P2000SK? Or an HK45c?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Drav posted:

TLR-1 is perfect. gently caress the rest. :rudebox:

What about a TLR-1s? or TLR-2?

Why are the X300 and some other weapon mounted lights super expensive?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

If you want strobe you can get the TLR-1s for not much more.

Are you planning on carrying this weapon with a light? I find it difficult to find a P229 + TLR-1 IWB holster unless I wait 4 months for a Raven magic holster. I know some people took the light off for CCW and every night put the light back on dance but that could get old quick.

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 30, 2011

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

I'm carrying my Sig P229 in an MTAC. It seems like the magazine/grip stick out more often which leads to printing. I was looking at maybe carrying an H&K P2000, Sig P239, or a Glock 23. All of them seem to be about .4 inches shorter than the P229... Can anybody personally attest to any of those weapons being shorter or am I still going to have problems?

Any other carry suggestions? PPS seems to be the popular gun right now but my local range that has rentals does not have one in .40 I can try.. :(

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Why are you looking at .40 specifically?

Anyway I conceal my 19 in my MTAC just fine but it seems like your problem may also be related to the way you carry it. Where on your body do you carry (e.g. 3:00, 3:30) and how much cant did you set your holster to?

I prefer the .40 over 9mm for defensive purposes.

3:30ish with the back clip on #3, front clip on #4.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

Oh boy :can:

Yeah let's just not talk about that. I don't think it really matters all that much but I'd rather keep all of my handguns at the same caliber if possible. Not saying I wouldn't carry a 9mm but if there's a .40 available, I'd try that first.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

by #3 do you mean third from the top or 3rd from the bottom?

Either way, consider increasing the cant. By increasing the angle between the grip and the X-axis as defined by your hip, you increase its prominence in the y-direction (j hat if you take physics) and this in turn decreases the amount by which it can jut out horizontally and cause you to print.

If it's still a big deal however then I suppose you may as well look into a new gun... it just seems like a rather expensive solution to your problem, is all.

I agree, I don't want to buy a new gun to fix it.

On my clips, I have five holes, #3 is right in the middle, #4 is the forth going down.

back to front
o o
o o
x o
o x
o o

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

cornface posted:

I have a 229, 239 and PPS. If ease of concealment is your primary motivator the PPS is definitely the way to go. It is also a great shooting gun, though the hard plastic the backstraps are made out of tend to wear a blister on you after an extended shooting session. This is my wife's carry gun.

I carry the 239. It is a great gun. Super accurate and reliable, with the same controls as the 229. However, it is giant for a single stack, and unfortunately (for me, anyway) the smaller grip length and changes to the grip shape from the 229 make it sort of awkward to shoot because it is super top-heavy and the squared off front of the grip is just...odd. If you are having trouble with the 229, the 239 is probably not going to be that much better because it really isn't that much smaller. If you love sigs, though, and just want a _slightly_ smaller one, totally worth it.

Sorry for the lovely pictures, but hopefully they will be useful.

Thanks for the pictures, puts it into a little better perspective. I'll need to try out a P239 and PPS before I buy one.

Any chance you could take a pic of all three together? Out of curiosity, what caliber are all of the guns? How do you and your wife carry your weapons?

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 10, 2011

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

cornface posted:

Okay, my camera sucks and I am horrible at taking pictures, but hopefully this will help.

Awesome, thanks again. I'm interested to hear what the trigger issues were with the P239.

I have Trijicon night sights on my P229, I love them and will most likely have them installed on a P239 if I buy one without night sights.

I might also wait for the P290 reviews and/or the non-existant P244 that's supposed to compete against the Glock 19 size.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

Comp-Tac makes good ones.

I love my Comp-Tac belt.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

I also wear a +4" belt, but mine is a CompTac.

Anybody have both a Beltman and a Comptac belt and compare them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

What's wrong with Chipotle? I think their burritos are better than Qdoba's. I do like Qdoba non-burrito food like tacos better. I can't eat Taco Bell now that I've had Qdoba unless I'm trying to be really really cheap.

• Locked thread