Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Nill posted:

If you're going to carry with the chamber loaded then you might as well carry with a full mag too.

As for carrying extra magazines? My general feeling is that for single stacks it might be prudent, for 16~18 round double-stacks it's a little much.

If you can't depend on your carry gun working on the first mag then it's time to get a different gun. If nothing can assuage your paranoia then that next gun should be a revolver.
Carry a spare mag, but remember if you need to reload for any other reason than a magazine failure then you're quickly leaving the realm of justifiable self-defense.

My take on it has been that I am conflicted with two sides of my personality. My paranoid side is always worried that I'm going to get into a a huge firefight with someone so I need lots of ammo. My rational side knows that stupid and that in a situation like that I would only need a couple shots. In any real serious situation I would run away. I would only need one extra mag at most and not cram mags into every pocket and duct tape them to my chest. I compromised by getting an 18 round flush fit magazine for my 92FS and carry +1. I also have another with a +2 follower that I carry in my pocket. That way my paranoid side is happy with the 39 rounds by only having one extra mag. With my CZ-82 I usually carry two extra 12 round mags. They're small enough so it's not like they're heavy or take up much space.

I know it's lame but it's more a psychological thing than anything else. I feel a bit more secure having a little more ammo just in case even though I will never need any of it.

kwantam posted:

Depends on your gun. If you do this on a 1911 you will eventually break the extractor (mostly true of internal extractor designs; externals may be betterdifferent about this). Safe answer is no.

Yeah, the gun wasn't exactly designed for that, but feeding from the mag. I've put one in the chamber before and slowly closed the slide. I seem to remember reading my Beretta manual, or somewhere, that it could be used to fire single shots if the magazine malfunctioned. That seemed a bit silly to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

bunnielab posted:

I mean I wear a dust mask all the time in the summer just in case I accidentally inhale a hornet and it stings me in the back of my throat causing me to suffocate to death. But I'm really not worried about falling directly on the base of my spine.

Thank you for giving me a brand new fear to worry about.

For content. I always carry on my hip, somewhere between the 2 and 4 o'clock positions, depending if I'm wearing coat or not. The only difference for me in between summer and winter carry was that in the summer I carried a smaller gun, but this year I seem to have been carrying the smaller one all year because it's more comfortable in general.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

BitBasher posted:

It's just my opinion, but compared to carrying a heavy chunk of steel inside your waistband, the extra magazine is almost inconsequential.

Yeah, for me I just throw an extra mag or two in my pocket. There's no extra hassle. If anything the weight helps balance out the chunk of steel on the other side. I'd say putting the holster on is the most time consuming part of arming myself.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Every 6 months we basically dryfire at a tv screen in response to a shoot/no-shoot scenario. We had one guy fire 32 times at one group of bad guys. I asked him afterwards how many times he shot and he said "6 or 7"

:(

Maybe I'm just obsessive compulsive, but I've always been one to instinctively count rounds. I can't help it. Even when being tested in stressful rapid fire situations I still find myself thinking, "1,2,3,4..." Sure, I may lose count after a while, but if I shot 32 times I would be able to say around 30.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

cerberus700 posted:

So in VA, like most everywhere else I assume, you have to take a course to be approved for CCW. The class I'm taking includes a whole bunch of classroom time and a few hours on the range. At the end it says you must qualify with the gun to pass. I'm not at all worried about it as I'm a pretty good shot, but what does qualifying involve exactly?

While it sounds like Texas has a point system, when I got mine in Michigan it was just a couple hours at the range shooting blank pieces of paper in different stances and shooting situations. It was more fun than anything like a test. One guy even mentioned how when we wouldn't have been able to do all the rapid firing during a normal trip to the range so it was more enjoyable than normal. That said, some people who had little shooting experience had trouble hitting the target but the instructor was there to show them how to aim and shoot.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

You shouldn't be taking it out at all. Either the cop will want you disarmed or he won't. If he doesn't, you leave your gun untouched. If he does, he'll probably want to do the disarming himself. Drawing from a holster in front of a cop is usually a staggeringly bad idea unless he actually asks you to do it.

Yep, hands on the wheel at 10 and 2. Give the officer the required papers including the CCW card. Don't say anything about having a gun unless he asks where it is. Don't move your hands or say you're going to do anything with the gun unless told to. If the officer says to leave it there then leave it, if he says to remove it then do that, if he wants to remove it then let him. Drawing the gun without being told to is just inviting yourself to get shot. That cop wants to go home safely just like everyone else.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

AR posted:

At or around 3 o'clock my MTAC was an eyesore under a slightly loose-fitting polo shirt. Rolling it back around somewhere between 4 and 5 (haven't perfected this yet) makes it disappear. Also I think you have to take the "I am printing this much" factor and divide by 100 to get the real unsuspecting public printing degree.

That reminds me of when I started carrying. I was so nervous that someone would see it. I felt like I was wearing some giant gun outside of my shirt when really, no one noticed it. Even now, I look down and it sticks out to me but then I look in the mirror and I can't see anything conspicuous. It's mostly a psychological thing. All I can say is that I like winter or when it rains so I can put on a jacket, but really, I'm getting better at telling myself that it's hidden. The average person on the street isn't going to be looking for anything and it would take them more than the split second before they pass to see it. So unless someone is trying to do an inspection of my person then they won't see it.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Schigolch posted:

Those are for good citizen sheepdogs licensed to carry concealed weapons so that when they are saving/have saved the day, and the police show up too late to help but early enough to get in the way, the citizen hero can flash their badge and the police will be like "oh well carry on." :tipshat:

Now I'm picturing someone getting one of those and a fake uniform, walking around like they're some kind of freelance crime fighter. Maybe they should where a Batman costume or something so they can be a super hero.

The only serious thing I can think about those is that it would be for a situation where someone wanted to identify himself as a good guy and not accidentally get shot by a real cop or another idiot with a CCW. I've often wondered what would happen if in a situation where there is a shooter and then a bunch of people draw to stop him. I could see more people getting freaked out and escalating the situation. I'm not saying I'd ever buy one of these things or anything else that said I was packing (it's called concealed for a reason!) but it just makes me think.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

DJExile posted:

I'd imagine as the number of CCW permits grow, cops in various states/locales are trained to know they may be responding to a situation where one or more individuals is a permit holder.

I'm not a lawyer or anything, but the first thing I'd do if I had to draw down and the cops arrived, I'd first shut the gently caress up and listen to their instructions.

Oh yeah, police show up I put away the gun right away and shut up until the situation is secured. I just don't want to get shot or accused of being a suspect. My biggest fear is that I draw, then some other idiot who just wants to legally shoot someone, shoots me. Really though, any situation where there is a shooting in a public place, I take cover and then use my weapon in self defense if the guy gets near me. Ideally I could get out of there and let the police or the mall ninjas handle it. My pistol is the last line of defense, not first.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Tindjin posted:

I'm actually glad that New Meixco makes you take the class test with the maximum caliber you are allowed to carry. Makes me at least feel better that the person carrying a .45 had to at least show someone they could shoot it. I took the class with a .45 (my carry caliber) and also a .454 revolver (loved the look when I brought that fucker out for the test). If you want to carry a revolver you have to shoot the test with one or if you want to carry an auto you have to shoot it with that (or obviously both if you want to carry either).

Cool. My uncle took his test with a single action .45 revolver. I thought about using a Nagant revolver, but glad I didn't. I had enough trouble dropping six rounds in my 92FS magazine in time fro the next round of shooting (we were only allowed to use one mag). If I was doing the test today I would have brought a Luger just so I know I'd be the classiest one there.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

V3N0M1300 posted:

Is anyone know how to navigate the red tape of california's ccw system? If not, do I acctually need to carry a weapon concealed in order to protect myself outside my house or can I carry it where it's visible?

Get elected to state or national office. Seriously. I suggest defeating Dianne Feinstein and taking her carry piece.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Sturdy posted:

So presuming I don't carry one pointed directly at the boys, and get a decent holster I should be fine?

Sure, I've carried one for over a year now. It was going to be my summertime carry gun but come winter, it was so comfortable, and I wasn't getting in daily firefights, so I never transitioned back to a bigger gun. It was just so light and comfortable that I could carry it all day and forget I was carrying.

Like TF said, there are several guns that are better suited for carry than the CZ-82, but there are also worse ones out there. For me, I only got it because it was cheap and C&R. I'd like to replace it with something else but I haven't gotten around to spending the money yet. The C&R part was a bonus because it was a little more of a hassle to get pistols in my state at the time. It is also small and light weight, but not as lightweight as a similar sized polymer gun. I'd say it's 12+1 capacity is pretty impressive for a gun its size, though there are others now that are the same or higher. 9mm Mak. isn't the best defensive round but it is equivalent to .380, which is at the bottom end of defensive ammo. Ball ammo is known to over penetrate so go with hollow points and it shouldn't be an issue.

The safety issue is that the guy was carrying it in condition one in a poor holster choice. I don't know if the guy had the safety on or not, but in a bad holster I can see how the safety could be easily disengaged. I've never had an issue with the safety coming off though. I'd suggest carrying it in double action mode, if you're comfortable with the safety being off while carrying. The bonus side to that, as opposed to other guns, is that the double action pull is almost as light as the single action pull. There is almost no difference. I'd compare it to a DOA pistol but with a much lighter trigger pull.

I'm currently in the market for a new holster for mine, so if anyone could post a link that would be much appreciated. I know someone posted a link a while ago for one, but running a search of the thread I only found a post that I made.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Sturdy posted:

what holster do you recommend? I'm thinking about jumping and CCW class here in the next couple of weeks or so

Recommend, I don't know as I'm still looking for a better one myself. I have this one that was like a form fitted piece of leather. I liked it because it fit the gun exactly and had a spot for the safety so it wouldn't go off. I recently got a new belt, which while thicker and a superior carry belt, the holster clip doesn't fit too well around it. I know someone here has to have a better holster than I do.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

king of the bongo posted:

What is a good carry piece for a one handed person whose thumb is not able to reach the slide release on a cz or a glock? I ran into this today and it got me thinking. Keep in mind that it should also be easy to load and unload when at the range rather than just being able to be fired one handed. Thanks.

Maybe some sort of revolver, but I'm not sure about reloading. I remember the instructor in my CCW class recommended revolvers for people with disabled hands.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

MadMax posted:

I don't think this has been addressed directly in this thread so what do y'all do for carrying a spare mag? I know there's a debate about the necessity of actually doing so but I'd rather have it be a case of have and not need rather than need and not have.

I figure I'll either just carry it in my pocket or try to find a spare leatherman case and carry it in that OWB on my weak side. Any particular preferences or tips/tricks regarding this?

I have some pouches but I just throw a couple spare mags in my back pocket. It works well enough, sometimes they squeak, but that's all. It's also discrete since it just looks like I have a wallet in my pocket if anyone notices.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Micromancer posted:

Word, if that's the case then cool long as you are aware it would be at best a backup and might not have that long of a lifespan (it really only needs to work once anyway, right?) but when I see

and nothing else indicating there is any other option for ccw I get concerned is all I was saying. Besides, maybe a recoil spring in the eye is a less lethal approach to personal defense.

I'm willing to buy a new Xbox every couple years, and really do support short lifespan items so please dont think Im harshing on you for buying it because it might break - only that its not a life saver is all.

The more I type, the more I feel I sound like a dick - look just you being safe is all Im hoping for.

Nah, I don't think you sound too bad. You're saying some things you don't mind breaking after a while. These things, such as gaming systems, are not things you trust your life to. If they break, you just buy a new one or go without. The same goes with guns, but what if it breaks at the time you need it to save your life? I can accept your argument.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

email me on this webzone if you want a pizza roll

I want to let you know that I get this reference and respect you more for it. :)

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Mr. 47 posted:

Probably, and I'll have to sort it out when I actually get one. But every IWB or pocket holster I've ever tried was really obvious for some reason, completely undermining the first-C of CCW. On the other hand, this would be the smallest weapon I've ever carried, so it might be different.

I've carried a few different types of guns over the years, beginning with a full size and then to a compact pistol. I could successfully conceal them but it required some strategic placement and making sure I watched how I moved around. When I go tan LCR I like to describe it as I put it in the IWB holster, put my shirt over it, and it made this shimmering sound and then started bending the light around it. I couldn't find it. Sure, I could feel it but I couldn't see it. The thing vanished. My only reason for getting this over the LCP was the ammo, both is STOPPIN POWAH and availability at the time.

My only problem with it is that I'm not that good with revolvers. I can reload autos no problem, since I have a lot more experience with them, but not so much with revolvers. I have to practice all the time, but even then I can't load it as fast as other pistols. That is something to consider, especially since you would have to reload after five shots, where autos hold more and are quicker to reload. I don't get in fire fights every day, so five rounds should be enough. That's another reason it wasn't a big deal for me. I still may end up getting an LCP sometime for pocket carry, since they're not hugely expensive. I too love to carry lots of stuff in my pockets for some reason.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Kommienzuspadt posted:

i mean, statistics would back you up, but gently caress that. i like aiming and also not hitting things i dont want to hit. not having sights makes that hard.

I'm with you on this one. I prefer sights, especially for practice, even though I know in a defensive situation I'll be too close to use or need them. I'm pretty good with aiming, but I also practice point shooting and only care that I hit the paper. When I bought my last pistol the sights were the last thing I cared about, but when I saw them I was impressed so it was the final thing that convinced me to buy. I guess I'd rather have sights and not need them, than need them and not have them. They're comforting.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Craptacular posted:

Having more than two is probably a good idea in case one breaks or gets lost.

I think I have at least three magazines for all my pistols, except one that is more of a collectors piece and I haven't gotten around to buying more. The only pistol I have a lot of magazines for is my 92FS. I think I have about ten, more or less. That's because I also have a CX4, plus I upgraded my old 15 round magazines to the 18 flush fit and 20 round mags when those came out. For carry guns, I've only carried no more than two extra mags, so it works out well for me.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Craptacular posted:

firearms.xls says I have an average of 18.92 magazines per mag-fed firearm they'll fit in. Where's a :sperg: smilie when you need it?

Oh, if we're talking about all weapons then my average goes up. I know I have around 15 AR magazines, maybe 20 AK mags, and probably a dozen M1 Carbine and G3 magazines each. Not to mention the AR beta-mag and AK drum. I went through a phase when I got lazy and thought reloading was for suckers.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jesus. . . I think I average about 1.5

That said, if you restrict that to just my "practical" guns that jumps to about 12 per gun - 20 mags for the AR and 4 for the SIG.

Yeah, I don't count my milsurp that has a detachable mag but has clip guides (SVT, anything Swiss or British, etc.) and I haven't bought more mags for.

Illegal Clown fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 19, 2010

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Kommienzuspadt posted:

yeah, i am lucky in that i am a pretty oblivious person so sometimes i just forget that i am armed, but after about 3 weeks of tugging on my shirt tails and wearing excessively baggy clothing i realized nobody expects other people to be strapped up. makes carrying pretty easy really.

Yes, I've only noticed someone carrying once. That time it was someone I knew, we were in a gun store, I knew he was left handed and that he carried a full size pistol. I noticed something on his left side and even then didn't think anything of it at first. I had to force myself to think "Hey, I bet that's a pistol." I don't know how many people carry, but we all tend to assume the other people we see aren't. I'll admit, lately I've been trying to spot pistols, but I'm not that very good at it, and I normally don't think about it. Even with a group of Goons where most of the group was probably carrying, the thought never crossed my mind until someone showed up his carry gun (safely of course).

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Fire Storm posted:

Got a few CCW law questions.

State: Michigan

Background: My co-worker is taking a CCW class at the end of August and asked if I wanted to get mine, and I'm considering getting it because I might want a pistol (but on the fence, I think I'm more of a rifle man) and if I get a pistol, why not have the option to carry.

However, he said a few things that do not sound right to me:
The CCW means you automatically pass background checks
It also means no 3 day waiting period for rifles and shotguns (last I checked, Michigan had no waiting period for rifles and shotguns)

Is this right or does he have his laws confused?

Yes, in Michigan the CCW counts as a pistol purchase permit and the NICS background check, though some stores may still insist on making the call. There is no waiting period for any rifle, pistol, or shotgun with or without a CCW. I didn't have a CCW when I bought my first pistol. I got my purchasing permit, filled out the paper work, gave them some money, and walked out with a new gun. All pistols still have to be registered, which just involves mailing in some slips of paper.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

I don't know when I first wanted a CCW, but I guess it was in 2001 when Michigan became 'shall-issue.' I was only 18 at the time but several of my extended family members got theirs. Hey, guns are cool and we can carry them now, awesome, right? I liked guns, but the thought of owning the seemed like a distant dream for. I didn't know where to get them and the whole online FFL transfer process seemed too complicated. Plus I wasn't exactly rolling in money at that time. Eventually, once I started getting and saving more money I walked into a Dunhams and found out I could buy a WASR and walk out the door that day. Sweet!

Eventually I started going to other stores and thought about getting a pistol. It was still a complicated process, but I realized the only thing stopping me why my own sense of laziness, so I followed Michigan's procedure of pistol permits and registration. I bought a 92FS because that's what the military used, so I was familiar with it. I had the idea of getting a CCW, but it also seemed like a complicated and expensive process. After six months or so I finally motivated myself to take the class and complete the process.

Although I live in a dangerous area, I never felt threatened, manly because I stood away from trouble and I'm not built like a victim. But in the previous year though, I had a few friends robbed at gun point, one while she was at work. Others had a gun pulled on them by some kids in a park, though there is some debate on whether it was a real gun. Then some stores were robbed, including franchises my friends worked at. There were also stories in the news about more people getting CCWs and average people on the street having to use them to protect themselves. So I guess my main motivation from going, "Wouldn't it be great to wear a gun like a cowboy or secret agent?" to actually thinking seriously about it was the sense that I needed to protect my friends when we were out together. Now I feel much safer knowing that if the worst happens I have a fighting chance. I still just use the CCW to buy regular guns in stores.

I still don't have a good carry gun. I carried that 92FS for a few months, and then got a CZ-82 because it was C&R, cheap, and still pretty good. It was an alright carry piece, but not perfect. At least it was easier to conceal. I bought an LCR this year for a summer carry gun. It's easy to conceal, and even though I don't like revolvers or the 5-shot cylinder (I carried 18+1 in my 92FS, and 12+1 in the CZ) but at least it has good defensive ammo. Maybe I will buy something better in the future.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Black Stormy posted:

Yea, but you don't have to hit anything, and you can do it with any caliber. There was an older guy in my class who could literally not hit the big rear end 3' tall target seven feet in front of him.

Same here, there was a guy in my class who couldn't hit the piece of paper seven feet away. The instructor wouldn't let him leave until he got it right, otherwise he would fail. I would also add this was at an outdoor range in the middle of winter. The guy I shared a lane with shot with a .22 revolver he had inherited.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Black Stormy posted:

I'm the same way. I constantly fidget with my shirt to make sure I am covered. It doesn't help that I am always bending down to almost-3-year-old level, or carrying him though.

The funny thing with me is that I've always fidgeted. I don't know, I've never been comfortable or whatever, but it's been that since I was a kid. So yes, I'm still fidgeting if I'm carrying, but it's for a completely more neurotic reason. Of course now I try to stop myself more often.

I also feel the same way about wondering if I have enough gun. It's always a compromise between firepower and concealment. Like many, I'll just throw in a small pocket revolver if I'm just going down to the corner gas station because I heard it's a nickle cheaper today. Then what if as I'm walking out of the store I see a big guy with an SKS coming in. With no where to go, with a wall behind me and a robber in front of me, I hope my little revolver and 15-25 rounds of ammo are enough.

When I carried a Beretta, I could carry lots of ammo, but it was difficult to carry. As a compromise I switched to the CZ-82 s a stop gap before I could buy something better. It was smaller and I could still carry a respectable amount of ammo. For short defensive ranges I felt the 9mm Mak was good enough, especially with the higher capacity than most .380 guns its size. Part of my compromise with the .38 +p revolver over the LCP was that while I gave up a little concealment and capacity, I was gaining a stronger round. I felt that maybe those 5 shots of good defensive ammo would be capable of dealing with the likely threats I'd ever face, even in a worst case scenario. Now if six dudes with SKSs showed up, yeah, I guess I'm screwed, but I also avoid the areas where that would be possible.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

There's another gun forum I occasion that is much worse than TFR on the insanity/stupidity scale (though better than most), and there is constant talk of carrying small voice activated audio recorders. I don't think it's a horrible idea, particularly for the car, but it's a bit on the paranoid side.

I have a tiny POV camera that is about the size of a AA battery. I didn't get it for the purpose of spying on the cops, but it would be perfect to clip to your pocket or anywhere in the car.

Illegal Clown fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 28, 2010

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

DJExile posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, you'd always want mags/speedloaders near your off-hand, not the dominant one.

That's what I've found to be true with semiautos, but with revolvers I found it easier to reload with my dominant hand, using my support hand to hold open the cylinder. Though putting magazines or speedloaders in a cross draw position also works well for me. Really, the main thing is to practice so reloading becomes more muscle memory. All the best holsters, belts, and mag pouches in the best locations is useless if you're flopping around trying to find everything when you need it.

Also, in the winter, my summer carry gun becomes my coat pocket gun. The gun goes in a pocket holster on one side, and the mags in the other pocket. My pockets snap shut so it works well for me.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

infrared35 posted:

Also, just because a trucker considers his cab to be his "home" does not mean it isn't subject to search when he crosses an international border. I've heard that one more than once. "You need a warrant to come in here because this is my home." :rolleyes:

Tell me again about the people who bring their carry guns with them to Canada and try to protest on 2nd Amendment rights or whatever when you find them.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

standardtoaster posted:

After spending an afternoon at the Parks Mall in Arlington, TX, I've decided to get my CHL.

I have a G19, but now I have an excuse to buy another handgun. I have a huge crush on CZs. Does anyone carry a CZ83? I know they're on the larger end of the .380 spectrum, but they make me drool.

I personally haven't seen one in a while, but you could always get the CZ-82. The 9mm Mak is just as good as a .380. It's a fine pistol, if you don't mind one that has seen some holster wear. Plus it has a lot more Communist street cred. :commissar:

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Secret Ooze posted:

Now I need to get a pistol that I can stick a light on.

Me too, except worse. I bought one of those expensive light/laser things with the intent of buying an awesome new carry gun to put it on, but never did. This was like two or three years ago. I just kept getting sidetrack, but eventually I'll buy something that can take a light. It actually sat on a cheap airsoft pistol for a while but is currently on my desk shelf.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

ArcMage posted:

I'll probably catch hell for this, but inasmuch as I ever pocket carry I've been pocket carrying in a jacket pocket. My IWB regimen usually works out well year-round, so the pocket pistols are just a supplement.

I started doing this last year in the winter time. My winter coat is a black M65 field jacket (shut up, it's warm!) and I realized I might not be able to get to my carry gun if I needed it in a hurry. I got a small pistol and a pocket holster to put in the front pocket. It works really well, especially with the cut of those pockets.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

M.C. McMic posted:

Many ranges, including my own, do not allow you to draw from shoulder holsters. This is obviously due to the fact that you're sweeping everyone to your right or left every time you draw.

That's one of the reasons I don't use shoulder holsters, but I do own two. One is for under the arm but points the gun down, so you never sweep anyone, unless you bend over. I bought it for a costume, but if I ever used it, it can be drawn without sweeping the sides. It requires lifting up the gun, pointing it forward, then flipping it over It's a bit impractical. The other one I own is a military one designed to be placed on the chest area. Again, the draw on that one is just lifting up, pointing out, and turning over, but it's only a more natural 90 degree turn and not 180. That is still a military thing designed for people who are in vehicles. For daily carry I always use IWB. I'd wear it in a cross draw position in winter before I would ever use a shoulder holster.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

infrared35 posted:

Picture a gun in a vertical shoulder holster. The muzzle is pointed straight down at the ground. As you draw it, perhaps the muzzle points a few degrees behind you as you pull the butt of the gun forward to clear it from the holster. After the gun is clear of the holster, the muzzle is still pointed at the ground. Now imagine using the gun as a laser pointer to trace a straight line from where the muzzle is - pointed at the ground at your feet - up to your target, which is presumably in front of you. You rotate the gun as it moves through this arc, until the gun is on target and you're holding it upright. At no point does your muzzle cross any part of your body, nor does it cross any innocent bystanders, unless they're between you and your target.

The same technique can be used with a horizontal shoulder holster, it's just that your muzzle starts out pointing behind you. It's not difficult to master.

Thanks, you explained it better than I did. It just feels unnatural at first and you really have to practice to make it second nature. I can see why ranges would not allow shoulder holsters. Of course that doesn't stop people with regular holsters or no holster from sweeping the guy to their left or right when they reload.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

I'm glad I just got a job where carrying at work is not only allowed, but required. When the manager asked if I had a permit to carry I said but that I wasn't carrying at the moment. He said that it didn't matter if I was carrying. :c00l:

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > The Firing Range > CCW Megathread - "I'd rather shoot some dude than sprint a block or so"

A P-64 was already mentioned. So this is just a heavier, less concealable, more expensive, fewer-available-holster option of that (minus the de-cocker). Not to say that it isn't a really fun range gun.

For what it's worth, my normal concealed carry is a P-64 because I can carry it a 3 o'clock so I don't have to take it out to drive.

And on the other hand, the CZ-82 has a better double action trigger pull and twice the magazine capacity. That has to count for something. I can't really say much since I too would have carried a P-64 as a cheap CCW option if they hadn't disappeared ten minutes after being declared C&R. I've seen them at retail and they are almost as much as an LCP, so I decided to save up my money for a couple more weeks and buy something more modern to replace my CZ-82 in summer time.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

DJExile posted:

People carry 15+1, others carry 5 shot revolvers. Go with what makes you comfortable.

And I've carried both, and currently alternate between a 12+1 and a 5 shot revolver, depending on the weather, my clothes, and where I'm going. Sometimes I have the same amount of ammo in extra mags or speed loaders, but other times I only have 15 rounds total, the same amount I could expect to have in one magazine alone. While I'm comfortable with the low capacity, knowing I have more shots available in a short amount of time is comforting. On days when I'm just going down to the corner store and have my revolver in my pocket or on my belt, and a couple speed loaders, I often wonder if I have "enough gun" in the worst case scenario. At the very least I know I have to make those shots count.

I guess it's a balance between size, capacity, and concealability. If I was wearing some big trench coat I could carry a Sterling or Draco AK. Since that's not practical we have to make compromises. My personal feelings are that I carry as big of a gun with the highest capacity possible. Some days that means a full size 9mm or .45 with a greater than 10 round capacity, while other times I may only be able to fit a 5 shot revolver. I personally just wouldn't pick the 5 shot gun on a day when I could easily carry the 15+ shot got. It's all about what works for everyone though.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

I recently got an MTAC for a PX4, and wow, I can't recommend those enough. I put it on a thick leather belt, and when I put the gun in, I don't know where it went. I was wearing a somewhat tight fitting shirt and I couldn't find the gun. When I removed the gun I noticed I had put a 20 round magazine in the gun and not the standard 17. I assumed I wouldn't be able to conceal the extended mag easily, but I did.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Black Stormy posted:

Paying for the name basically. The TLR-1s is good to go. TLR-2 is a little gimmicky in my opinion, but I don't have any use for a laser, personally.

My TLR-2 sits on my desk so I can make the cats chase the laser. It was totally worth it. :colbert:

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Black Stormy posted:

I used to worry so much about printing. Now I pretty much don't give a poo poo. I've been carrying for almost 5 years now and have only ever been made once, because I was crawling around on the floor with my son and my shirt rode up.

I was always afraid of printing, but the only time I have been made was when someone hit my gun. One was from a lady-friend who tried to hug me. She wasn't too surprised I had a gun. Another was when I was helping some friends move a piano, and one friend hit his elbow on my gun. He knew I carried, and likes to point it out whenever he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

A lot of states seem to allow carrying at bar & grill type places, and other restaurants so long as they make less than half of their income from alcohol sales. It depends on the state regulations though. Plus most places probably don't allow you to drink while carrying.

• Locked thread