Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Whew, I finally got done reading this thread.

I ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck for my CZ PCR about three weeks ago. I took a class and submitted my permit application last week. It's only a matter of time now.

While I plan on the PCR as a primary carry, I know there are times I either won't be able to conceal it or can't be hosed to put on the belt and holster (and suitable pants) for a walk to the store down the street, so I might as well look towards a pocket piece.

I was watching The American last night and, after seeing the Walther PPK he used, it brought back my childhood fascination with James Bond books and movies. Hard. I can't escape it again. Forget a 1911, I must own a PPK next.

How is that little guy these days? It's about the same size as an LCP. Has anyone used one?

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DJExile posted:

I wouldn't call it a pocket gun though. It's actually barely smaller than the PPS. I'd look at the LCP or something similar if you want a pocket gun.

They look to be pretty darn close in size, besides the magazine extension (which can be swapped out for a magazine without). The PPK is a bit longer in the slide, heavier and has a width of .98 versus the LCP's .82. Is that really that big of a difference?

I handled an LCP at a recent gun show and didn't like the feel of it at all. It just felt like a plastic toy. Besides, my reasons for wanting a PPK stray more towards the romantic rather than the practical, though I assume it's as much a shooter as any other subcompact. The PPS doesn't interest me much.

I was mainly just looking to see if anyone had personal experience carrying one and how it worked out. I'm not really asking for alternatives, since I read this thread through and I'm aware of my options.

Nafix posted:

Or a S&W 642. Pretty awesome for a summer pocket gun in cargos/slacks/jeans that aren't rear end huggers.

Again, I've wanted the "James Bond gun" since I was 10. I'm sure you know how these things are. You repress an urge for a long time and long after you think you've shaken it off, it comes back to bite you in the rear end. I'm at a point where I can comfortably afford to buy a handgun or two for vanity reasons and if they're suitable for a purpose then it's a nice bonus.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 30, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

poopgiggle posted:

Echoing what DJExile said about the trigger and snappiness (E: also they tend to bite people with meatier hands). It's also not drop-safe. The lack of a manual slide lock can make administrative handling a little tricky too, but that's a minor issue.

My hands are small enough that I should be okay.

What exactly denotes drop safe? I assumed a firing pin block, but Walther USA's site says it has a firing pin safety. Maybe that's only when the manual safety is engaged? I guess I could contact them directly to get the final word.

The absent slide lock doesn't seem like that big of a deal, though I can foresee potential issues.

quote:

I understand what you mean about wanting something since you were 10. I've had this irrational love for snubnose revolvers since I was little. Guess what my "stow and go" carry gun is?

Yeah, I think I'm dead set on this.

drat you, Ian Fleming

Bummey
May 26, 2004

poopgiggle posted:

"Drop safe" means "you can drop the gun when it's loaded and it won't discharge." There have been a couple reported incidents of people getting shot when they dropped their PPK.

I should have been more clear. I know what it means, just not exactly which features make one drop safe. Something that blocks the firing pin from striking unless the trigger is pulled, correct? Isn't that what the firing pin safety does? Walther's site says it has one.

I emailed their customer support so I should get an answer within a couple months. Maybe I'll forget about it by then!

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 31, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

What are my holster options for a CZ75 IWB holster?

MTAC is only available for the CZ P-01, but Crossbreed makes one for all CZ models. The standard Crossbreed clips have stupid crucifixes cut out of the clip face, though.

I ordered a Crossbreed for my CZ PCR. I'd tell you how I like it, but it hasn't arrived yet. Ah well, it's only been about a month. At least I didn't order a Raven.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 8, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

My Crossbreed holster just arrived. It's an odd feeling having this hunk of leather an metal strap to my side, but it fits well, conceals better and is pretty darn comfortable despite the foreign presence. drat thing creaks like a loose floorboard, though.

While I don't really have any worries about printing and as oblivious as I know people really are, there's the paranoid worry that it's going to flash for a second if I bend down or reach up and some idiot, Minnesotan soccer mom is going to scream and point at the man with the gun. Crowds panic, store empties, sirens are heard, etc.

How dumb am I to be... not afraid, but something something of this? Has anyone had it happen? (probably not)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

BadgerMan45 posted:

Like others have said, you'll get used to it.

That being said, I'm sure that you'll have a few months to get used to it in Minnesota as I imagine you're wearing a few layers of clothing right now.

Yeah, I figure it's just a matter of getting used to it. I know people probably won't notice, but there's always going to be that Minnesotan Soccer Mom I'll have to be on the lookout for. As for clothing, not really. I rarely wear more than a light jacket in the winter. We're not affected by the cold, up here.

cornface posted:

Put a thin dusting of baby powder everywhere that kydex and leather touch, and maybe a little on your belt where the clips touch. Wipe it off enough that you can't actually see powder residue and the creaking should stop.

After a bit of investigation, it's actually the metal clips rubbing against my belt. I'll try the baby powder, but I'll also slap some of those felt pads on the inside of the clips - the kind you put on furniture legs so they don't scratch the wooden floor. If they mess with the fitting, cause it to slip around or just don't work, I don't know what I'll do! Doesn't matter much, since I don't really plan on carrying for a while. Have it and not need it, etc.

My belt is a cheap one, but it's really thick, sturdy and holds everything up fine.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 15, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

lilspooky posted:

Other than Beltman belts what other brands / makes would you guys recommend?
Are those Wilderness belts worth it?

I can't say I've had any experience with any "real" gun belts, but

Edit: guess I should have noted that it was the belt I currently use. I'm still waiting for my Beltman to ship.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 21, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

My Beltman belt arrived today after a long time in shipping limbo and... it's built like a tank but probably too short. Without the holster on I can barely ratchet it in to the third hole and even then it's too tight. With the holster I get a really tight left asscheek on the second hole and a floppy, unstable holster on the first hole.

Welp, guess I'll send it back for one size up.

Edit: It's better with a different pair of pants but I'd still like a little more length and another hole. Don't we all?

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 1, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Here's a quick question for you overweight but not fatty goons. I'm all bird legs and stick arms but with a bit of that gut and muffin top - I'm 6' ish and ~180-200.

I've got a CZ PCR, beltman and Crossbreed Supertuck. 3:00 with a slightly stronger forward cant works well enough, but I've been trying different configurations to see what works best. So far anything later than 3 sticks out like a mother when I bend, a problem not very pronounced with what I've got now and my mostly darker colored clothing helps it to blend in.

What set ups are you similar bodied folks using? Hole placement/cant, time, etc.? Do you change your setup depending on routine or activities?

edit: Once again I know that people won't notice, no one pays attention, it's just newbie paranoia, etc.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 17, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

"lilspooky" posted:

I'm looking at getting a PPS for lighter / warmer weather carry.

The PPS has been looking mighty fine to me as well. I need to find one and put my fingers in every part of it.

For a holster you should look into a Crossbreed Supertuck or Comp-Tac MTAC.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Has anyone used both an MTAC and Crossbreed Supertuck? How do they compare? I've got a Supertuck now, but am looking at an MTAC for something else I may buy in the far flung future. The Supertuck does everything I need and I do like it, but the MTAC just looks better constructed.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

"Uncle Caveman" posted:

What weaponlights will fit this thing?

TLR-3 sticks out a bit. I found this picture on GIS.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

"rattrap" posted:

I was going for a smaller carry weapon and narrowed it down to a decision between the PPS and the Kahr PM9. The PPS felt better in my hands and I saw plenty of recommendations here along with a personal friend who had one.

I'm happy to report I joined the club today.

Yeah, I kinda love this thing, but I might have to slap something on the upper backstrap because it tears the poo poo out of the webbing on my baby soft, girl hands.

Or toughen up by shooting this a lot. Darn, I guess I'll have to shoot this a lot more.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 5, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

"cornface" posted:

Does hockey tape come off easily because I'm pretty sure you have to remove the backstrap before you take the gun apart for cleaning.

I'm pretty sure you have to remove it to put the slide back on. You can strip it just fine with the backstrap on.

I had a brief moment of panic when I was inspecting it at the store because I couldn't get the drat slide back on and no one there knew either. A quick trip to youtube saved the day and I walked out with a used $450 PPS in drat near perfect cobdition with five magazines. Which was odd because it wasn't the 10008 version so some dude must have bought $200 worth of magazines and the gun shop seriously lowballed him.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 5, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DJExile posted:

No, If you leave the backstrap alone it takes down and reassembles just like a Glock.

Huh. Well. Something is catching and preventing me from reassembling. It looks like it might be this little thing, and the assembly below it, which drops down after removing the backstrap. It's the only difference I can see between the backstrap being on and off.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 5, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I can strip it with the backstrap on, remove the backstrap, reinsert the backstrap and then put the slide on just fine. I don't know. vv Machines.

It works perfectly other than this and I've never had a malfunction of any sort.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Welp, I figured it out. After field stripping, with the backstrap in place, I can press down on this assembly and it will click in place allowing me to put the slide on.

Not a hassle for me and it's never malfunctioned while shooting (yet?), but if everyone else's functions differently then some internal is clearly not completing an action. Should I have this looked at by S&W? I'm not mechanically inclined enough to know if this is A Bad Thing waiting to happen.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

beanieson posted:

Much love here for comp-tac products. I've carried IWB with an infidel for a few years with no problems, and am thinking about getting a minotaur (spartan or mtac??). my concern is the incredible heat/humidity in south Louisiana, and having a large piece of leather against my skin all day. Any thoughts on this?

It's not really a big deal. Depending on your clip/hole setup, you may only have a very small bit of skin contact with the leather. Most of the holster is going to be between pants and underpants. I use a Supertuck and the leather is thinner, but they're similar enough.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 31, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

The clips can squeak when they rub up against both the leather of the holster and belt. Some Kiwi leather conditioner on the holster, not the belt, helps. I also have some felt backing on the inside of the clips and all along the back of the clip. When it starts to creak I rub in some more of the Kiwi goo and it's good for a while.

Kind of a bummer, but it works better for me than the MTAC. vv

Bummey fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 3, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I'll also throw my admittedly inexperienced hat into the mix. The PPS's size difference may not seem like a big deal on paper, but it's night and day when shoved into your pants. With the flush fit 6 round magazine it's god drat invisible.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I don't find the cocked striker or loaded chamber indicators to be a big deal. They don't hamper the performance of the gun in any way, so just ignore them. Are you worried about them setting a precedent with stupid "safety" features? The quicksafe backstrap is a far worse problem and one I can see as a legitimate complaint.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Do any of you PPS owning cool cats have night sights? Once mine gets back from repair I'm probably getting some. I see some talk of XS Big Dots but those are loving stupid. Any suggestions?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

My PPS finally got back from Walther's repair center after nearly two months in limbo and they completely hosed me over. Despite the polite hand written letter I included detailing exactly what was wrong, all they did was replace the slide stop spring and call it a day. Not even a mention in the repair checklist about the busted slide stop or faulty decocker. They're going to get a nasty assertive call from me tomorrow.

So much for their vaunted customer service. It's such a nice gun, too..

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 14, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Once again, the initial Walther customer service rep knew nothing. He said he didn't even shoot Walther guns. I had to get them to transfer me to someone who actually knew a drat about how guns work. Then to someone else. We walked through the steps together, both with PPS in hand, pointing out all the issues and he couldn't have been cooler about the thing. He advised me to include a very short bullet point list of the problems (my previous letter was too verbose and the gunsmith was illiterate/lazy), bold the areas of emphasis and firmly state what I want repaired, fixed or downright replaced. Dude was a real dude.

Now I just have to hope the gunsmith does his job right this time.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Veritas posted:

also, any reason to choose an MTAC over a crossbreed holster (gun is a G19)?

Loucks posted:

edit: I have zero experience with the Crossbreed holsters other than looking at their website ten seconds ago. Personally, I'd much rather have a kydex body that covers all of my pistol's slide to aid in retention, and Crossbreed doesn't seem to offer that option.

As an owner of both an MTAC and a Crossbreed, don't buy a Crossbreed if you can get an MTAC for your gun. Since you have a Glock, get tje MTAC.

MTAC
    Leather: Thicker and double layered so it doesn't conform to the body as well as the Crossbreed. Not really an issue unless you carry directly at 3:00 and your hip isn't wide and fleshy enough to make full contact.

Kydex: Thicker and better molded to provide solid retention, with an adjustable tension screw. Attached solidly by black magic or something, I don't know, it's all concealed between the two layers of leather. The Kydex bodies can be swapped for use with different guns.

Clips: Plastic, small, less noticeable and very easy to apply and adjust. They don't hold onto the belt as solidly as I'd like and the holster sometimes walks backwards over the day, but that's a quick fix. Uses hex screws.

Bonus candy and hand written note included.

Crossbreed
    Leather: Thinner and wider to conform better and spread the weight over a larger area. Creaks like crazy if you wear it around 3:00 unless you regularly apply some sort of softening leather conditioner.

Kydex: Thin, minimally molded and feels poorly affixed to the leather. No active retention, instead relying on pressure between body, pants and belt to hold it in place. My PCR wobbles slightly even when it's on my belt. The bump for the slide stop seems to be the only thing keeping it from flying around like a kid in a bouncy castle. Because of this, it doesn't hold the gun very close to my body and prints more easily.

Clips: Big and strong, they clamp onto your belt and don't let go even if you want them to. They're metal, twice as wide as the MTAC clips and have a huge stupid loving crucifix embossed on them. Uses chicago screws that will wear down if you don't have a good driver.

No candy, bible thumpers.

Here are some lovely camera phone comparison pictures. The MTAC is for a Walther PPS, the Ctrossbreed is for a CZ 75 PCR.

The last two pictures show the real problem with the five piece Crossbreed clips. To switch holes for the first time you have to pierce the leather with that little spikey bastard. It takes a fair amount of force and the prongs bend really easily. If you want to change holes you have to bend and adjust the prongs so they'll fit into your previously made punctures. It's a pain in the rear end.

edit: I shouldn't write words at 5am. Or ever.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 1, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

threelemmings posted:

the Walther PPS has caught my eye. Other than the above average price, I'm happy with the weapon, but wanted to make sure the faulty spring -> slide lock issue from a few years ago has been cleared up; I've seen posts in the thread from PPS owners and just wanted to make sure that was a thing of the past.

The PPS is the bee's kness. Buy one and never look back. You won't get sick of shooting it after 20 rounds like other smaller guns, either.

The slide lock issue is a thing of the past, but if you buy a gun of the past (pre-2010) you will need to do something about it. Here's a Not My Picture of the new slide stop - note the little metal bit sticking up in the square hole on the left.

I sent mine back to S&W/Walther USA for an upgrade but the gunsmith didn't read my note and only replaced the slide stop spring. I had to send it back a second time along with a specifically but politely worded note and speak with the gunsmith personally (he was kind of a dick about it) before they fixed it properly. I'm not the only goon to have trouble with their services, either.

Oh well. It all worked out in the end.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Curious to the reasoning for this. Worried a sharp rap on the hammer will cause it to fall?

I think snagging on the draw is the concern.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I bought a Ruger LCP and intend on getting my CCW soon. In the meantime, I am looking for an IWB holster and one magazine holster as well as a good belt (been looking at BLACKHAWK~!~!). I don't want to pocket carry even though this gun weighs about half a pound. Advice?

You may think you don't want to pocket carry, but it couldn't hurt to give it a shot. Aholster is probably the most highly recommended pocket holster and they have a no questions asked, 30 day return policy. You've got nothing to lose. You may even like it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Wildey posted:

I'm considering going for a pocket carry solution, and I'm wondering about wrapping that concept into another bullet point for my justification for buying a Makarov. I'm fancying those kydex aholster pocket solutions, but they don't make a specific Makarov mold... would it be possible/advisable to use another gun's molded holster in the same level of safety?

I can't say much for the M&P9 situation, but using a leather holster not designed for your gun is not ideal and appendix carry just seems uncomfortable and weird to me.

As for the Makarov, that thing is probably going to be too large and heavy for pocket carry. Go smaller, like an LCP or Sig P238, if that's your intention.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 15, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

NosmoKing posted:

Where are you folks finding those neat pocket Kydex holsters? Making them yourself? Is there a vendor?

Probably be buying the LCP by the end of next month.

AHolster is the one I see recommended all the time, though I don't have any first hand experience with them.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Dr. Strangler posted:

After reading you guys rave about it in this thread, I'm thinking about getting a PPS for carry. Can y'all give me a ballpark on what you paid for yours?

I got mine for $450 used like the other guy, but I'm pretty sure we both got pretty loving lucky. I would expect used prices to be higher than a used Glock, or something similar, especially if the seller had to buy extra magazines which cost $50.

Another thing to note is that the night sights package comes with 3 magazines, one of each size. The regular package only contains one magazine, and not even the flush fit one. If you buy new, you will save some money by getting the night sights package.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 26, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DJExile posted:

Who's making night sights for the PPS?

E: oh lovely

I've seen Meprolight and XS Big Dots.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

LifeSizePotato posted:

Can anyone recommend a pocket holster for a P238? Is there one that will accommodate a Crimson Trace laser?

Aholster makes a pocket holster for the P238, but I don't see any option for a crimson trace. Lots of people love these holsters, though.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Have any of you used XS Big Dot sights? If so, how are they? My PPS needs some night sights but these look pretty weird to my inexperienced eyes. Meprolight has some 3 dots I can fall back on, but I figured I'd ask about these first.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Any suggestions on where to buy them? The XS site has them for $128, but they're as low as 90 on some other sites. I don't want tritium that's been sitting around a warehouse for years and I don't really know which are good retailers.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DJExile posted:

If it was a barfight between you and some Don Knotts-sized guy, yeah, that'd be one thing, but if you're to the point where deadly force is needed, body size won't really matter.

Car posted:

If you're in a situation where you meet your state's standard for lawful use of deadly force your size almost certainly won't be coming into play.

edit: Yeah, what they said. My disparity of force comment wasn't as simply put.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

It's a bit printy in some shots, but no more so than a cell phone.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I put some Hornady JHPs through my LCP today and they fed fine, in case anyone is on the fence with that brand for that gun.

Hornady makes a couple different hollow points, though. Critical Defense runs fine through my PPS and CZ 75 PCR, but neither of them will go through a single magazine without choking on at least a couple rounds of XTP.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

FormulaXFD posted:

Much to my surprise, I received my CHL in the mail yesterday (Multnomah county is notorious for taking well over the 45 day period). So my G26 has a CompTac Minotaur holster to go with it, but I'm hitting one wall-- anyone know of an online place to buy concealed handgun friendly dress shirts for business semi-formal?

What exactly is the problem with your current shirts? If you plan on tucking dress shirts, you're not going to be able to have a very tight tuck. Blouse it out a bit. A blazer or suit jacket would be good too.

• Locked thread