Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

RealKyleH posted:

Id assume youre thinking this or a glock 26. I chose the XD over the slightly cheaper used glock 26 because the 26 leaves me with a dangling pinky, an XD9 SC does not. Grip safety is p cool I dont think glock 26s have one either and I dont think all (but I heard new ones do) have a one in the chamber indicator WHICH YOU SHOULD TOTALLY NEVER TRUST CAUSE TFR BULLSHIT RABBLE RABBLE. I am also more accurate with my XD9 SC than I was with a Glock 26 though not by a huge margin. I'd guess owing to the pinky thing. I got lucky with hand size though I'd say.

Holsters/accessories/extras are a bit easier to find and cheaper for the glock 26. The gun itself can be found used a bit cheaper too.

I am quite happy with the machining quality of the XD for the price, cant comment on the 26 as I haven't looked real close.

I remember why I don't visit this thread frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Cyrano4747 posted:

I swear, this is the third post today that I didn't know if the poster was serious or posting ironically or loving around or being sarcastic or what.

Right about here is where you realize you've grown up.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

surfgod247 posted:

I think my question belongs here, do any of you ccw license holders get self defense and excess personal liability coverage? I didn't check every page of this post so forgive me if it has been covered already. Im just kinda curious on who takes the extra extra step to protect themselves as well as what you pay and what is covered.

As one might imagine, read the fine print, but http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/defense.htm Also, get a lawyer knowledgeable in self defense on retainer. That whole "Talk to a lawyer" thing is good advice. Better advice is "Talk to your lawyer."

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

I'm just going to throw in another recommendation for Wilderness Instructor belts. As long as you don't have to tuck your shirt in they are the way to go.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Nafix posted:

I was looking at Comp-Tac's website and it seems they do make the C-TAC/M-TAC for the J-Frame, as well as the OWB's of the belt and paddle persuasion. Has anyone had any experience with these for revolvers? Am I just wasting my time trying to carry it any other way than pocket because of the limitation of cylinder width?

Thoughts/suggestions?

I carry my J in a Bianchi Professional at 2 o'clock which works well enough. There's not a lot of gun to anchor it below the belt line. Frequently when sitting the gun will shift up. With the gun at 4 o'clock this isn't a problem. I'm looking at the Comp-Tac pro-undercover or maybe the 2 o'clock. Another (perhaps superior) option is the Tucker Cover-Up.

Belt-line carry works better then pocket, however in some situations (tucked in shirt, or a lot of contact around the belt-line) pocket carry would be preferred. Ultimately I'd like to be able to go back and fourth between the two methods.

What pocket holster are you using?

I have a set of Barami Hip-Grips coming on the way - I'll let you know how they work out in the Snub Nose thread.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

It's safe to throw out the Dos 6.2 book.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Nafix posted:

^^^

Buy a 642 or a 442. Now. They're lovely. :allears:

Yeah, me and emathey will have to get out and shoot my 642 sometime soon. I have maybe 40 rounds of 38spl and way too much 38spl +p to get rid of.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

funkyaintit posted:

The only problem with this little gun is that sights are terrible. Painting the front sight helps, but they are so low profile that it takes me ages to form a good sight picture. So, I've got a Crimson Trace laser on the way, that will hopefully suffice.

I wouldn't call it a front sight, it's more like a speed bump on the road to accuracy. DJExile is right, it seems like the LCP is primarily a "point shooting" gun. The best way to improve point shooting accuracy is to grab a hold of the other guys collar. The next best way is to focus on grip, trigger control and sights. By building an solid index through the usual sighted fire you'll improve your ability to get hits without the sights. Mind you, using the sights is always something to strive for, sometimes it's just not possible.

I got some trigger time on my 642 over the weekend. I've shot my 640 a lot, and consider myself recoil adverse, but after a 30 rounds of +p through the airweight I was feeling it (and bleeding).

Tell me more about the 238 :3:

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Totally TWISTED posted:

How much interest would there be for me to start a Kel-Tec PF-9 thread? I'm debating doing that or just shoehorning it into perhaps this thread.

Maybe a mousegun thread? I have the hots for a p238 and you guys aren't helping.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Bogon posted:

Whats the hive mind consensus on these Holsters.Ive been looking around for a IWB holster for SP-01 and sadly this is all I could find.

The hivemind says comtac, but these blade-tech iwb holsters have been my go to holsters for a few years now and I love them.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Binary posted:

One of my coworkers got the new S&W Bodyguard .380 and is nuts about it. From online reviews they seems pretty nice, barring a few with malfunctions that areassumably from being first generation. Anyone have an opinion on this piece?

Wait a bit before you jump on a bandwagon.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Boner Wad posted:

What is TFR's thoughts on flashlights? I think I have three options for conceal carry: no flashlight, carry a flashlight, or weapon system mounted flashlight (I'm thinking TLR-1s).

My preference is not to carry a flashlight on a belt. I currently have an MTAC for IWB carry but I don't see an option for weapon system mounted lights when ordering MTAC kydex shells. I'll probably have to order a Raven or some other brand that does offer gun+light holsters. This seems like it could get expensive. I'm willing to down that path but I'm really not sure if it's advantageous to go that route. I may just end up purchasing the TLR just for at home anyways.

So what should I do? What works for you?

Carry a flashlight if it's useful in every day life for you.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

roymorrison posted:

wtf. Glocks have rails, every gun has an LCI...

Primary bullet observation port. Just because it's potentially lethal to use doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

thermobollocks posted:

Do you guys have an opinion on the DeSantis clip grips?

Funny you should ask, I got a response from Desantis on November 11th...

Cristina @ Desantis posted:

Unfortunately, there have been no updates from Management.

Looks like it'll be the same setup as a Barami hip-grip w/ finger grooves and with with soft plastic/rubber grips. I really hope they make it to market.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

DJExile posted:

V

Spill it. What's this from?

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Foehammer posted:

The Unit. 50% bad dudes going loud, 50% lifetime movie about lonely army wives

Can someone just put together a highlight reel for me?

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

kuffs posted:

...it's impossible to draw from one without sweeping everyone (including yourself) in a 180degree arc.

Groupthink: Alive and Well.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Motronic posted:

Double mag cap is a really good point.

Mag capacity, not all that important.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Motronic posted:

Do you really believe that, and....if so, do you think that is a universally held belief?

I know for drat sure that I'm not sure how I'd react in a situation where I needed to use my concealed sidearm to protect my life. And based on that I'm pretty drat sure I'd rather have more round than less, even if that means those rounds were acceptable rather than spectacular in order to double their number.

Or are you just trolling?

I do really believe that. I don't think it's a universally held belief. No, I'm not trolling.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

BadgerMan45 posted:

The only shoulder holster I have is a KL Null SKR which is an outstanding way to carry an airweight J-frame.

I've wanted one of these foe a while, can we get some pics?

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

I mean, it's great that you like your Sccy, it really is, but...cleaning a revolver is the easiest drat thing ever.

Easy, but time consuming.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Operator error.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

We've gone from Hi-Powers and XD's to Glocks, and now begins the PPS generation.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

infrared35 posted:

If you're rocking HKS or safariland speed loaders make sure they work with those stocks.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

poopgiggle posted:

Warren krew 4 lyfe

I'm split evenly between ameriglo and warren.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

QuarkMartial posted:

Jeez. Hearing all the home invasion statistics have got me a little concerned over my preferred shotgun.

Comedy option: Throwing a 33rd magazine in my Glock 17 :v:

Where's the comedy?

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Buy two and hook them together.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Because you're bending into the gun, AIWB is a lot about body type, gun and holster than traditional IWB. Work on figuring out wt what depth the gun needs to be on your belt line to be comfortable and concealed and then work from there.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Itchy_Grundle posted:

What do you guys think about a Bianchi 100 Professional to carry a 2" S&W Model 60 at roughly the 4:00 position? I'm also looking for smooth wood boot grip style grips to replace some very sticky Pachmayrs.

You'd probably want something with more of a cant.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Polish if you must, but I'd suggest just dry firing.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Welcome to Something Awful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHcNwv-wMcM

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

I love me some serious business.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Everytime you post pictures you make me really consider getting one of these.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Butch Cassidy posted:

Just got back from a jog with the Archangel and my G23. It is humid as hell and ready to burst out in lightning and the holster was perfectly comfortable after it settled into a groove in a couple minutes.

Forgot to mention that the matching AIWB mag pouch can go gently caress itself, though. I bought it to see if AIWB with a magazine would be doable with a pistol up front, as well. The answer is no. It works okay at 3:30, though. Not sure I will be keeping it. After two days of screwing with it, appendix wouldn't work.

The width of a glock is about an inch, you wrap that puppy in kydex and you're looking at another 1/4". You do the same thing with a glock magazine and you're adding 7/8" and another 1/4" of kydex. All in all, probably adding 3" to your belt size. The magazine pouch is going to have less surface area than the holster as well.

I bet a single stack mag would be a better IWB option. You may try going between the belt and pants. Another option would be something like the Desbiens Reverse Cant Magazine Pouch.

I've tried a fair number of magazine pouches, and emathey has me sold on the OEM Glock pouch. I just make sure I can reach it with either hand (typically 9:30) and roll with that. It's cost effective and the most concealable magpouch I've used yet (including my own hack jobs.)

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

I do that on my IWB holsters for comfort (protection from the rear sights).

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Move holster to forward of hip, 10:30 - 11:00 and report pictures please.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

There's something to be said about finding the "right" clothes. I have one particular shirt that is the right length and the right weight fabric - it conceals like a champ and clears very nicely on the draw.

I love me some thrift stores for experimental clothing.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

MadMax posted:

Hi guys, I am looking for some advice...

On Revolvers:

I was very dedicated to j-frames for a year. As much as I worked them, whenever I picked up a glock I performed better. 642 or 442 - same gun, different finish. The finish on my 642 did not hold up well at all. Airweights are great to carry, not so great to train with - about a box a session was all my hands could tolerate. 640's are steel, and are more tolerable to train with.

To get that legendary "Revolver Reliability" takes dedication. Cleaning a revolver properly takes time. Your only "preventable" failure will be with ammo - check each cartridge in each chamber.

Your carry requirements:

Accessible in your car while seated generally means you're looking at 3 o'clock or forward. The only thing worse then a gunfight in/from a car is a gun fight in/from a car you're belted into. Plan accordingly. There's good reason to want to be able to get to a gun while seated, green alien bounty hunters are at the top of the list.

On Holsters:

Clips are easy to put on, but sometimes come off.
Soft loops are tougher to put on, but Pull The Dot loops seldom come undone.
Hard loops only come on or off with your belt.

How often do you plan on taking your holster on and off through out the day? Will this be a non-event, or are you going to try to put your holster on in the car?

"Winged" (like the Isotope 7, MTAC, etc) IWB holsters are so much more stable, distribute the weight of the gun better and conceal better than "Narrow" (Summer Special) type holsters.

Concealment is compromised in two ways.

The first is the length of the grip extending past your body. The second is a gap between grip and body.

The body/grip gap is determined by the amount of the gun above the belt line, and how well the holster cants the gun towards you. In general the higher the gun rides on the belt, the easier and more sure the draw will be. This increases the opportunity for that gap between grip and body to develop. The lower on the belt, the more difficult the draw - but the less chance of the grip/body gap developing

Holster placement on the body should factor in the length of the grip. At 3 o'clock I have a total of about 4" of surface area. At 2:30-ish I have 6". At 4 o'clock I have 5"

A Glock 19 from baseplate to sight is 5".
A G26 from baseplate to sight is 4".
A G26 with +2 extensions* is 4.75"

I can carry either a G26 or 19 well at 2:30. At 3 I can carry a G26. At 4 I've carried full sized guns.

*I'm trying out a +2 extension as a stop-gap between the comfort of the g26 and more ammo. There is a difference in the profile of the backstrap, but I don't know that it's enough to warrant merit.

I've never tucked a tuckable holster. Exposed clips are a give away. Soemthing like the LFI IWB setup from Ted Blocker, Leather Arsenals "Shirt Tail Special", the Pager Pal, or C/V-clips on an MTAC may be a better way to go.

A holsters cant serves two purposes. It changes how concealment drapes on the gun, and eases the draw of the gun. The classic example is the 15* FBI cant which works with you from 3 o'clock back - but forward of 3 causes difficulties. Likewise a straight drop holster works from AIWB to 3 - but begins to cause difficulties at 4.

One of the strengths of the MTAC and RCS-style geat is the ability to adjust cant and depth to get the optimal cant for the location.

Specific to your circumstances:

You have two great belts. If you want a tapered Milt Sparks belt, go for it, but don't expect it to change anything regarding your carry issues.

Buying a new gun is the costliest fix to your situation. If you move to a single stack (PPS, M&P) you will have a greater margin with your clothing. Anything you can do with a j-frame, you will be able to do better with one of the new slim-line 9/380's. If capacity is a concern, the compact double stacks (G26, M&P, XD) work well.

Stick with the MTAC & XD. Find a better mounting option, maybe s-clips from knifekits.com, tuckable softloops from RCS, or gerry rig something up. Experiment with gun placement from 2 - 3. you may have to offset one of the clips on the MTAC to create a neutral cant.

Maybe it's time for clothing a smidge more conducive to CCW?

Thoughts on Night Sights.

Lights:

If you're looking for something you won't clip to you pants pocket - but your slacks have an in pocket divider, I'd suggest a Surefire E1B. Everyone else will suggest a Fenix product. The Maglight XL50 might become my new cheap throw-away house light. Rayovac has a small 120l pocket light too.

Other Recommendations:

Get pepper spray. Carry it.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Tell your friend I loved him in those Dos Equis commercials!

Regarding Small Guns and Big Guns:

They both have their place, but never miss an opportunity to carry a larger gun. That being said, some of the newer, smaller guns are very easy to shoot effectively. Whatever it is you carry, practice practice practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Bummey posted:

XS Big Dots aren't range or target sights, they're "I need a lightning fast, center mass sight picture to shoot this man shaped target at self defense distances." They work fantastically for that and really should only be on a carry pistol.

That's interesting, because plain 'ol notch and post do the same thing!

• Locked thread