Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A bit of a :psyduck: moment:

After putting it off for far too long, I finally got my VA CHP... in the mail... four days after submitting the paperwork.

Hooray for small counties whose circuit courts don't have a whole lot in their "to do" pile. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Well this was my first experience as a civilian with :derp:BIG OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT PAPERWORK :derp:, so I was pretty much expecting the process to take the full 45 days or at least the 2-3 weeks mentioned by the court clerk.

Not paranoid about printing, really... but my checking account is paranoid about me now being able to buy more than one handgun a month.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

bladernr posted:

when did they institute a one handgun a month policy??
Don't know, but fortunately it's about the only genuinely stupid gun law we have to put up with.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Kodo Zoku posted:

humidity + MTAC.
I'm in NoVA and have worn an MTAC for over a year. I haven't noticed any kind of funkiness, even in the hottest part of summer. Though like you, I'm always wearing an undershirt.

As for the configuration - I carry a Glock 26 @ 3:00, so the shorter grip lets me have it at more of a straight cant. When I carried a Sig P239, I had to have a much more forward cant to compensate for the longer grip. Play around and you'll find what works best.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

MTAC + Glock 26 (and before that, P239) moved my belt out one hole as well.

Working a job where I'm on my feet for 10+ hours a day moved it back in. :hampants:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

^^^ That's the best short-notice solution. Make sure it's enough for the cost of an MTAC and a mag carrier and you're golden.

But a pocket holster? I'm trying to think of garments that would be suitable for pocket-carrying a G23, so far I've got:
  • Trenchcoat

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

My MTAC kinda bugs me in the car, but I carry 4 o'clock where the butt of the gun is in prime position for jabbing me in the back. It shouldn't be much of an issue if he can carry at 3 o'clock, though.
I used to carry at 4:00 since I was worried about it printing when viewed from the front - but if you have to bend or lean at all, it'll be very visible from the rear. I've found 3:00 with a strong forward cant to be the best all around, since day to day you lean forward/back much more often than you lean side to side.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

The situations where you have time to deliberate and decide whether to jump into your fanny pack for your gun are exactly the ones where you DONT want to be drawing. If you have time for that...
Fannypacks are godawful ugly and a less than optimal choice for everyday carry, but they're not necessarily cumbersome. I use a small DeSantis Gunny Sack for my G26 when jogging/biking, where a belt really isn't an option. It's got breakaway tabs on either corner that let you open the zipper in a single quick swipe. I wouldn't say it's any slower than lifting your shirt/coat to access an IWB.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Rape Defense: Cover your dog in mud

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'll echo infrared's comments - my carry guns for the past two years have been a P239 and a G26, both have run 115%. This was accomplished by purchasing an extra 7.5% for each gun and stapling it to the side.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Standard: Clips over the belt, visible from the outside
C-Clip: Hooks under the belt, less visible from the outside
V-Clip: Needs a belt with velcro on the inside, bonus is it's nearly invisible from the outside.

Unless you plan on wearing it tucked all the time, I'd just go with the standard.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

If you're wearing spandex, a fanny pack is about your only real secure carry option. It looks stupid, but remember:

1. You are wearing spandex.
2. Fanny pack conveniently camouflages erection

An LCP was my recent summer-carry purchase as well. I got the pocket holster from https://www.aholster.com posted by someone earlier itt) and it's much nicer than the DeSantis Nemesis.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Earlier someone has asked for comparison photos of the LCR & LCP:

Note: The LCR Lasergrips are actually a bit slimmer than the standard rubber monogrip.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 16, 2010

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

No, the lock is manual only.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

How tight are your jeans? I wear cutoffs so short the pockets are dangling out the back and I haven't yet been made with the LCP. Though people could be distracted by the full-on mooseknuckle I got going on in front.

Also, pocket holster with full triggerguard coverage and positive retention: http://www.lefthandholster.com/holsters.html

Don't worry about the butt of the gun printing - if someone knows what it is they're seeing, it's because they also pocket-carry. To everyone else it just looks like you've got a Blackberry or something. Holsters with a hide-the-gun flap are good in theory but really prevent you from quickly getting a solid grip.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

TL;DR tell me about pocket holsters for the LCP
The DeSantis sticky holsters are okay, but this pocket holster is better.

How easily you can draw depends on the type of pants. I have no trouble drawing from the back pocket of jeans (with either the DeSantis SuperFly or Aholster kydex); front pocket is a little more difficult but still doable.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I hate being able to properly grip a handgun! :saddowns: :arghfist:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Craptacular posted:

If you need the extra grip length you might as well get a G19 and get a few more rounds in the magazine at the same time.
I do have a G19, and despite the TFR groupthink "it's-not-that-much-smaller" viewpoint, the G26 w/ extensions is still more easily concealed. I carry at 3:00 w/ a forward cant; the shape of the backstrap is what is most likely to print when leaning forward. For the past two years (up until a few months ago), I ran a small restaurant and absolutely did not want to risk printing in front of customers.

vvv it was a sandwich/coffee shop, think Panera bread without the fast food menu

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 3, 2010

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

That DOS book is worth holding on to just so you can one day tell your kids, "when I was your age this is what you had to know in order to use a computer." :corsair:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

I don't understand people that absolutely lose their poo poo and transform into completely different people when they drink.

When I drink, I just feel good and relax.
Same here, but I would bet that a big factor in this case is that the guy had apparently never drank before (or not regularly enough to develop a tolerance).

Yet another reason I'm pushing for a kind of anti-temperance movement. Learn to hold your liquor, boys!

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Totally TWISTED posted:

Consider me learned on kydex pocket holsters!
I'll second the comfort-appraisal of the aholster pocket. The DeSantis isn't uncomfortable, but it doesn't hold position as well as the kydex. Also, it traps moisture like a sponge (namely, butt-sweat).

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'd say both are equally easy to draw from. The aholster has some friction retention, but nothing as heavy an IWB - just enough to keep it in place. Also, it completely covers the triggerguard on the LCP, unlike the Nemesis

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Stormy, you're using the hard-cast flatnose stuff, right? I've been carrying the standard pressure version in my LCP... I have less than complete faith in JHP loads being able to both expand & penetrate reliably out of such a short barrel; I figure a 100gr flatnose bullet that won't deform will perform better at that velocity.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Kommienzuspadt posted:

does anybody prefer anything else in .380 to the LCP for pocket carry?
My LCP has performed well, but I do often wish I'd sprung the extra cash for a Sig 239 or Kahr P380 or something with actual sights. :sigh:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Realistically: No; it's more of a subconscious comfort-level thing.

Unrealistically: Moot point since I exclusively use CAR in all my urban mobile dynamic operation applications :madmax:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

13 rounds of .380, yeah my barrel is 2.75" long :c00lbert:

hope I don't run into any 1980s street gangs

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Papa Ding-Dong posted:

Any Virginia goons know if we are allowed to laminate our permits?
Mine came with a note from the Court saying YOU MUST LAMINATE YOUR PERMIT.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Diver Dick posted:

Both Virginia and South Carolina honor the Texas resident CHL, I believe.
True.

quote:

...wacky firearms transportation laws or posession requirements I should be aware of?
For VA: So long as everything is unloaded and in the trunk/back of vehicle, you're fine. Hell, I'd say that since you have a valid CHL, there's even less to worry about.

VA has zero restrictions on mag capacity, folding stocks, evil totems or other such nonsense, either.

quote:

Are there registry requirements in Virginia?
None at all.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

darnzen posted:

I don't think any of my pants have deep enough pockets to conceal even something tiny like the G26, unless the idea is to let the handle hang out of the pocket and cover it with a long shirt?
Side note, I wouldn't describe the Glock 26 as "tiny" - it's very compact, sure, but certainly not a "pocket" gun like the LCP/P238/etc.

My LCP is carried in the kydex Aholster linked earlier, and it fits (and conceals) just fine in the back pocket of a pair of jeans.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

DJExile posted:

I ran a walther PPS + MTAC over a summer here in Toledo, OH, which is humid as poo poo. I wear basic Hanes undershirts and it was never an issue.
Same with me and Virginia, which is even more of a fetid armpit in the summer.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

darnzen posted:

Anyone use an MTAC with a Browning HP? It's not listed as an option but I suppose a 1911 version would work?
Hi-Powers will usually fit leather or nylon 1911 holsters since the shapes are so similar and the materials are flexible, but form-fitting Kydex may be a problem. I would say try a 5" (Gov't size) MTAC and see if it works - you can always return it, or, if you hold a strong disdain for warranties like I do, just use a heat gun to modify the kydex shell to fit.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

kwantam posted:

Whatever runs best in your gun is the best choice.
As the seller of the gun in question, I can say that any JHP he feeds it will run tip-top. :)

Nafix, I generally stuck with 230gr Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger for defensive ammo. For plinking, I just used whatever was cheap & available. Never tried any SWCs or such, but anything remotely round-nosed will feed just fine.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Nafix posted:

Is a +p loading necessary/desirable in a .45 HP loading?
Desirable is up to you, but I wouldn't really call it necessary. It certainly won't hurt the gun :)

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

infrared35 posted:

What kind of backwards, redneck hayseed doesn't have an iPod? :rolleyes:
Me, until ~2008 :blush:

CCW MEGATHOUGHT!

I've sold my G26 and am in the market for a new carry gun. Must be slim/singlestack (hence the selling of the G26), 9mm preferable but .45 has its appeal as well (namely, I've got piles of ammo for both). So far my top choices are:

Walther PPS - I really liked the way it felt and liked the trigger, and the ability to mount a light is a small plus. Heard 99.9% good things from owners.

Kahr P9 - Considered the PM9 for a long time, but came to the realization that it's still too big to be a pocket gun and I'd rather have a fuller grip if it's going to be carried IWB. Benefit: slightly smaller overall than the PPS, at the same price. Drawback: Made by the American Universal Moon Church of Space-Korea, looong DAO reset

Kahr PM45 - Local shop has a used one on sale for cheap, liked the size, but drawbacks include: same as listed above.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Manual safety on a DAO = Booooooo

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Oh shiiiit I remember that, I also remember that it was a TP9 I was looking at next to the PPS. Scratch that one off the list!

The Sig 290 is interesting but I'm thinking it'll suffer from the same problem as the PM9, namely the grip is too short for a gun that is still too big to be carried in a pocket.

The PPS is looking more and more attractive by the minute.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

To be honest, slide/grip width is what really counts - I don't worry too much about controls sticking out, since they're not going to make it bulkier in a IWB holster.

I'd considered the G36 as well, but I can't find one in stock to handle.

The Sig 250 Subcompact is interesting as well, even though it's not really a singlestack. I'll have to pick one up and see if it really feels 1.1" wide like the ad copy says.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I am sad you are leaving Klub GlocK
Not leaving the club, I still carry my G19 in sweater/jacket weather. :)

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

So do you guys just wear really baggy t-shirts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Ah, I wear an untucked button shirt when it's warm or sweater/sweatshirt when it's cold as well - but none of my t-shirts are loose enough to not print by themselves.

guess I should stop wearing babydolls tied in a belly-knot v:geno:v

• Locked thread