Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I accidentally set the starting money to 5 000 000, and now the INI editor won't let me change it because it can't accept values above the maximum, but I used the INI editor to change the value to something that's above the maximum and uh... :psyduck:

Also, I can't find the value to change the number of skills I get, anyone know how I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Well, without cheating you can up your attribute points by giving yourself a negative trait.

Can I ask, have you beaten the game before?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't really consider it cheating to fiddle with the starting stats so that you can see what it's like to play through the game with a single super-soldier. It's more expanding the starting options available to you.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Black Griffon posted:

I accidentally set the starting money to 5 000 000, and now the INI editor won't let me change it because it can't accept values above the maximum, but I used the INI editor to change the value to something that's above the maximum and uh... :psyduck:

Also, I can't find the value to change the number of skills I get, anyone know how I do that?

Just manually edit the ini file in notepad?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

God Of Paradise posted:

Well, without cheating you can up your attribute points by giving yourself a negative trait.

Can I ask, have you beaten the game before?

Yep, a couple of years ago. Never cheated before though. Also, atribute points are easy to change, traits are not it seems.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, just encountered an annoying bug in AIMNAS. I was defending the hospital in Cambria from a sizable enemy attack, managed to fight it off, did 'apply first aid automatically', and once everyone was bandaged and things went back to normal, the head doctor and the secretary both screamed things to the effect of 'you're insane!' for absolutely no reason at all and started attacking me and the militia - one with her bare hands and the other with a scalpel. They had been far away from any of the fighting, which hadn't even reached the hospital building itself at all, and there is, near as I can tell, no reason for them to have turned hostile. They're not actually a threat - the militia shot both of them before I could even do anything - but it's still incredibly irritating.

E: None of the other civilians turned hostile, it was just those two.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

captain_g posted:

Turtling is indeed possible and not even too hard. I am playing on expert and haven't seen any enemy patrols despite getting very strictly worded letters from Enrico.

Hardest time I've had is after capturing a town when enemy attempts to retake it. I just trained MD to fairly decent soldier. MD is definitely on my list on next play through.

How does the training with trainers work in 1.13? It seems like you can only train a person once.
Trainers can only train a certain amount below their level (I wanna say maybe fifteen/twenty five levels). It's also far slower training more than one dude at a time I think. Depends on the teaching stat maybe?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mister Bates posted:

So, just encountered an annoying bug in AIMNAS. I was defending the hospital in Cambria from a sizable enemy attack, managed to fight it off, did 'apply first aid automatically', and once everyone was bandaged and things went back to normal, the head doctor and the secretary both screamed things to the effect of 'you're insane!' for absolutely no reason at all and started attacking me and the militia - one with her bare hands and the other with a scalpel. They had been far away from any of the fighting, which hadn't even reached the hospital building itself at all, and there is, near as I can tell, no reason for them to have turned hostile. They're not actually a threat - the militia shot both of them before I could even do anything - but it's still incredibly irritating.

E: None of the other civilians turned hostile, it was just those two.

The only thing I can think of is if some of the hospital supplies were picked up and used, but I don't think that would happen automatically, so I don't know.

I don't think they'd go hostile even if that happened, either.

Could be a weird bug.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Thanks to whoever pointed out that you have to be standing to get decent throw range. Seems to make a difference.

And holy hell, is throwing amazing! Every game I played previous in vanilla featured gunlines of automatic weapons and sniper rifles, because it felt like the only way to succeed. As a gimmick, I started a new game and made my IMP Merc into a ninja with Throwing/Night Ops/Stealth/Melee, and he is an unholy terror. He leapt from a roof in Drassen and murdered a guard in the open, then retreated under a hail of gunfire back to the roof. Three guards clambered up after him, and it looked like he was done.

The first he took out with a throwing knife to the eye that MADE THE GUYS HEAD EXPLODE. ("Now that blows my mind! ...Guess that makes two of us.") Then he wheeled around and threw a Shuriken through the throat of the second guy, who fell backwards in a beautiful swan dive to his death. With his few remaining APs, my IMP pulled out his combat knife and buried it in the chest of the last guy.

Why would you ever NOT play this way? I can't imagine how awesome it will be when I get camo and half-decent NVGs.

One question: does weight affect noise made while sneaking at all?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Vengarr posted:

Why would you ever NOT play this way? I can't imagine how awesome it will be when I get camo and half-decent NVGs.

It works great in cities, buildings and ambushes. It, however, makes your merc useless in battle in the other 50 percent of the game.

If you want to go all out, buy your dude a katana.

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007
Also in order to be effective against camoed black shirts during night you have to save / reload a lot or accept the fact that your soldier may just die. You are bound to end up in situations where it is hard or impossible to get out alive.

I did this previous when in night mission in the woods my camoed ninja dude was taking all of the map himself (save scumming) and suddenly i got surrounded by two blackshirts other with two pistols and other with smg and a red shirt with shotgun.

Needless to say, the problem really presented itself after I killed a guy next to them (not knowing about these three), had zero AP to escape, and the red shirt got vision on me and 90% of the reloads he hit me with a shotgun blast that exhausted my stamina and other 90% of reloads the pistol guy tore me apart killing me. I took me a quite a bit of save / reloading to get out of that one.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Vengarr posted:

One question: does weight affect noise made while sneaking at all?

Noise while sneaking is determined by your merc's Agility statistic, and also whether they possess the Stealthy trait - weight apparently has no bearing on how much noise they make. Consider hiring additional stealth agents if the amount of gear becomes excessive.

All of the Omerta rebels, excluding Miguel himself, possess the Stealthy trait, and so too does Hamous, who drives the ice-cream truck. In one previous game, I earmarked almost a hundred thousand dollars for their stealth catsuits, P90s with matching Five-seveN sidearms, binoculars and night scopes, smoke grenades, throwing knives, night-vision goggles, plastic explosives and a masterkey shotgun. Money well spent, if their kill records were any indication.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Just started my first 1.13 playthrough and I don't know how reloading works. If Spider's .38 is empty and I hover over a baddie, I get the ammo/reload icon and an AP cost. When I click to reload, nothing happens. I can't remember if the number changes, but the reload audio plays. She's carrying plenty of .38 quickload rounds. What am I missing?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Try doing it manually through the inventory screen? Drag ammo onto gun? If that doesn't work maybe she's out of Ap's or something? Alternatively, just right click and the cursor should change from move to shoot/reload, try that.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Not to be lovely but nobody answered my question - my game crashes occasionally on civilian turns, any idea why?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Yep, a couple of years ago. Never cheated before though. Also, atribute points are easy to change, traits are not it seems.

Traits are just in a different file. Skill_Settings.ini in Data-1.13\ The first two options let you change how many trait points you get, and how many major traits you can take.

You can mess with the bonuses of all of the traits in the rest of the file.

..traittraittrait

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

Not to be lovely but nobody answered my question - my game crashes occasionally on civilian turns, any idea why?

The little devils that reside in your magic box that make the images appear are revolting against you or they are sick.

Try pouring nutrients into those little holes in the back of your tower, Orange juice should be suffiecent as it will feed them and help them fight off those viruses people always talk about.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
i get crashes on civilian turns sometimes too, I think it's probably just a pathing error, not much you can do except submit a bug report over at the Bear Pit.

In other news I think i broke Larry.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Arrath posted:

Traits are just in a different file. Skill_Settings.ini in Data-1.13\ The first two options let you change how many trait points you get, and how many major traits you can take.

You can mess with the bonuses of all of the traits in the rest of the file.

..traittraittrait

I have been wondering how to mess with the number of starting traits for forever and a day. Thank you sir. Thank you very much. ^_^

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
So I had to turn off drassen counter attack because it's way too hard even with 20 blueshirt militia and now I am at a new brick wall. Enemies using things that are not pistols. They pretty much kill me everywhere and anywhere and have pinpoint accuracy. It took me 12 days with a min-maxed six IMP team with fully kitted starting MP5s to even take Drassen and even then it was a hard fight. Should I just wait the weeks out until I buy everything I need? It's my first time playing past Drassen.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 13, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I must have something weird about my game, because every one I've started I was able to train militia after only taking the airport. After that, I train up 20 militia and storm the rest of Drassen with no problem at all. The militia kills most of Deedee's goons.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Nope. I do that too, but I take the mine sector first. Train up 20 militia and send them up to attack the middle area without merc backup while I continue to train fodder. Eventually you'll have 20 militia in the mine and 20 in the town districts and you can finally take the airport with enough time to have roughly 60 guys + mercs for the counterattack. Just hope you brought a toolbox with you, because you're going to need it, since you'll be using the starting pistols and whatever gear managed to drop from the enemy to fight the counterattack.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Actually I did this exact same strategy too. However I had to train them up to blueshirts before going in with my mercs to take out the middle part. And as for the counterattack, all 20 regular militia were wiped out by a combination of blackshirts and redshirts.

EDIT: Question, the OP says NOT to turn on the 'drop everything' option cause it says there's a system in place already. Should I heed this advice or no?

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention they throw grenades from across the map with unerring accuracy too.

Edit: Would it be normal to camp Drassen until you can outfit your guys in full armor and kitted out guns before going on to the other towns? It seems that's like my only chance at surviving.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 14, 2012

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I've turned on drop everything, but not every dead enemy drops their gear. If its working correctly I dont think it will break the game flow

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I seriously wish there was an easier way to rig the Hick house with C4. Since I cheated and had four demo experts with me, I just laid the place out with C4, since the Hicks are too dumb to realize that four dudes with weird accents and hi-tech armor spraying gray crap everywhere isn't a good thing.

Also, I'm disappointed you can't fully demolish buildings. I was once bored enough to blow out all the walls there.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger

Blackray Jack posted:

Actually I did this exact same strategy too. However I had to train them up to blueshirts before going in with my mercs to take out the middle part. And as for the counterattack, all 20 regular militia were wiped out by a combination of blackshirts and redshirts.

EDIT: Question, the OP says NOT to turn on the 'drop everything' option cause it says there's a system in place already. Should I heed this advice or no?

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention they throw grenades from across the map with unerring accuracy too.

Edit: Would it be normal to camp Drassen until you can outfit your guys in full armor and kitted out guns before going on to the other towns? It seems that's like my only chance at surviving.

In games with the counter attack enabled it's usually easier to take Chitzena first, then head to San Mona and check out the weapon's dealer stock, and take the airport and train up some militia there to give you access to Bobby Ray's. Perhaps take the mine 2nd, and leave the town center for last, the actual counter attack wont trigger until after all 3 sectors, 4 on wildfire, are liberated. Assuming you want to fight out the counter-attack without cheesing it.

As far as enemy drop all, I almost always play with it on and never order weapons from Bobby Ray's, generally the game is harder with drop all off, but I prefer scavenger runs so I don't end up with 3 squads equipped with FN FALs or something similar, gives me the opportunity to try out the hundreds of different guns in the game.
Sounds like you're not very experienced with this game, so I'd suggest turning the the counter-attack off and using enemy drop all till you get the hang of the combat.

Enemies can always throw grenades farther and more accurate than even your strongest mercs. Use LOS and sound(gun fire) to lure the enemy into areas where your weapons are at an effective range. It's ok to retreat as well. Morale loss can be fixed by taking out random patrols on the map. Which are terribly equipped at that early stage of the game, but sometimes you'll get a couple mini-14s or some ww2 era long rifles to give you much needed range over your starting pistols.

membranoid fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 14, 2012

ilurker
Nov 6, 2009
Is there any way to change the start up options for an existing save? After reading through the thread and being knocked over by the amount of equipment and the depth of the mechanics I got it into my head to set weapons from Lots 'o Guns to the regular selection. Now I'm settled in a bit and I go to weapon comparisons and nothing matches. I find out that I've apparently missed out on the 1.13 weapons set altogether and they didn't specify that. :psyduck:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ilurker posted:

Is there any way to change the start up options for an existing save? After reading through the thread and being knocked over by the amount of equipment and the depth of the mechanics I got it into my head to set weapons from Lots 'o Guns to the regular selection. Now I'm settled in a bit and I go to weapon comparisons and nothing matches. I find out that I've apparently missed out on the 1.13 weapons set altogether and they didn't specify that. :psyduck:

"Lots of Guns" is "use the 1.13 weapons." If you turn it off you are using stock JA2 weapons only.

And no, not that I know, although I may be wrong. Your only bet is to restart. :(

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Sometimes when I tell a merc to do something in combat mode the cursor turns into a stopwatch as usual but my merc does nothing and they just sit there. I'm forced to alt-f4 because I can't click on anything else and my merc will never get around to doing what I asked no matter how long I wait. Is this a bug or something? What's the cause of it so I know not to do it?

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!

Ahhpple posted:

Sometimes when I tell a merc to do something in combat mode the cursor turns into a stopwatch as usual but my merc does nothing and they just sit there. I'm forced to alt-f4 because I can't click on anything else and my merc will never get around to doing what I asked no matter how long I wait. Is this a bug or something? What's the cause of it so I know not to do it?
I vaguely remember this - is the stopwatch there and you can move the camera around but nothing happens? The game will resume eventually, but it can take from 30 seconds to a few minutes (but no longer).

I think it happened during militia turns, I think pressing esc would break it and hurry the AI up. Or if you quick save a lot then quitting and re-loading may be better.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm finally going to get into this game. I've decided. Is it better to hire like three guys for a couple weeks at the start and use up most of your money, or just go in with one other, good merc, like a doctor or some such?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm finally going to get into this game. I've decided. Is it better to hire like three guys for a couple weeks at the start and use up most of your money, or just go in with one other, good merc, like a doctor or some such?

I have gone with the 3 guys plus and imp merc. I always get Berry and MD because they are cheap and awesome, also buns.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Danny, buns, plus IMP

edit: two week contracts

edit2: anything less than 2 weeks just seems desperate considering the cost, especially daily costs.

DEVILDOGOOORAH fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 17, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

IMP, Barry, Igor, Spider is what I started with.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dr Snofeld posted:

Both are valid but it's easier for beginners to bring like 3 mercs plus your IMP at the beginning (since you may not know what the layouts are like and what to expect). Ending up with like 3k in the bank when you land is fine for getting your first militia up off the ground on the airport if you want to go that route, otherwise you need to take the mine first and get a day's worth of income to get your militia base established.

IMP+Barry+Igor+Fox is probably the most popular beginner's setup, although it's slightly weaker now since 1.13 reverted all mercs to their original JA2 traits (Ivan is no longer a machinegunner, Fox is no longer a gunslinger, etc). They're still pretty great mercs though.

There's a few other good starting ones too. Spider is good, Grunty is good, etc. I think MD is poo poo for the very start of the game since he can't really contribute to combat. He's cool to hire after you get started though and can start training him.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 17, 2012

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Magic posted:

Ahhpple posted:

I vaguely remember this - is the stopwatch there and you can move the camera around but nothing happens? The game will resume eventually, but it can take from 30 seconds to a few minutes (but no longer).

I think it happened during militia turns, I think pressing esc would break it and hurry the AI up. Or if you quick save a lot then quitting and re-loading may be better.
It's usually a pathing issue — the game tries to figure out how to get somewhere or do something and fails at figuring out how. Normally, it times out after a preset time (30s for pathing), and you can dig around in the ini files to reduce that. I've reduced it to 10s, and (very) occasionally, it causes me to lose turns of some characters, and especially for militia trying to swarm into a small area, but better that than losing everything since the last save.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Rascyc posted:

Both are valid but it's easier for beginners to bring like 3 mercs plus your IMP at the beginning (since you may not know what the layouts are like and what to expect). Ending up with like 3k in the bank when you land is fine for getting your first militia up off the ground on the airport if you want to go that route, otherwise you need to take the mine first and get a day's worth of income to get your militia base established.

IMP+Barry+Ivan+Fox is probably the most popular beginner's setup, although it's slightly weaker now since 1.13 reverted all mercs to their original JA2 traits (Ivan is no longer a machinegunner, Fox is no longer a gunslinger, etc). They're still pretty great mercs though.

There's a few other good starting ones too. Spider is good, Grunty is good, etc. I think MD is poo poo for the very start of the game since he can't really contribute to combat. He's cool to hire after you get started though and can start training him.

My recommended starting load out is: Hitman, Red, IMP, Bull, Danny. (I think you get afford all of them, if not, ditch Red for a bit)

Hitman is a good solider and trainer. Red is an explosives expert, Danny is arguably the best all around doctor, due to his high physical stats and the rate his marksmanship increase. I like Bull for beginners because he takes a LOT of punishment before he falls.

That's my recommendation, anyway.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I went with Barry, Fox and Igor in the end. I've made it to the airfield now but is there a trick to it? There seems to be a huge number of enemies spawning from the top of the map. Can you stop that from happening?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Snofeld posted:

I went with Barry, Fox and Igor in the end. I've made it to the airfield now but is there a trick to it? There seems to be a huge number of enemies spawning from the top of the map. Can you stop that from happening?

either you have reinforce turned on, and an enemy squad is closeby (solution: restart with reinforcements turned off, it's an ini setting. Alternatively sleep/wait for a couple of hours before assaulting the airport) or that's just where the people are. I advise attacking at night, standing outside the range of lights and firing a shot once in a while. Enemy will walk through lights, like at the entrance, and you'll see and kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr Snofeld posted:

Scope for a day + IMP and some affordable mercs. Grab her sniper when she's on the way out and you got yourself a life saver for the first areas of the game.