Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Yeah, Wildfire is made by a oval office who really didn't know poo poo when he modded.

And no, I'm not bitter SF picked up his mod while our excellent and completely original Urban Chaos mod was ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I think that is due to Dr Q who, IIRC, hates black people.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

I just found an interesting quirk. In my latest game, I resigned Ira to permanent militia duty, and pumping out roving militia patrols. One of them attacked the capitol's outskirts, and managed to take the sector. I moved my mercs into there to captalize, and showed up at the same time a counter-attack came. The tanks were still there, and much to my surprise - were counted as militia units. They tore Dedriana's troops apart like nothing.
Yeah, when you take Meduna and train milita you'll have tanks on your side; 1.13 addition that kick rear end.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

chairface posted:

An actual TFR goon army would pretty much exclusively use Mosin-Nagant 91/30's.

And no Desert Eagles.

Hey, I'm starting to like this idea.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Yoshimo posted:

Speaking of Fidel, he's just gone and loving quit on me. He claimed he wasn't getting enough excitement/kills, despite having blown a Redshirt's loving head off on the previous mission. Plus there's no more unequip/reequip glitch to get round his "I won't move or change targets until this guy's loving DEAD!" schtick. Ah well, I've gone with the :canada: cliche Smoke, eh? Maybe he'll be as good a Marksman as Fidel.

1. Fidel, IIRC; needs at least a 1.5 or 2.0 kill quota per mission; this includes missions where he is off duty/training/sleeping/patient so he(and others like him) are kinda hard to keep around. He also might've just carried a lot of money and made of with it for shits and giggles.

2. Put a knife in the offhand and when in battle screen mode, right-click on the knife to switch place with the main gun to make him able to move again.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can have crazy rear end prototype guns that were actually made and fired by humans for fun, and have it still seem realistic enough. But having a minigun is probably too far out there. I kind of agree with them, at least with the main branch.

Me too; I don't want loving miniguns, vanilla rocket rifles or the eraser guns from Dedrianna Lives in JA2; if anything just make them sci-fi only.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In my efforts for creating an all-girl game, I've noticed that the best combination is a female IMP with some mechanical and good marksmanship, Raven, and Spider.

Actually, Raven does pretty much all the killing. Give her an M16 with a scope and she becomes this unstoppable rape machine early in the game.

Can't you just hire Vicky for mechanical needs?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I think normally you're supposed to be able to take a total of about 50k(most of it in the abandoned nearby mines) but no, the car isn't usually there.

Wildfire is a pretty lovely mod though so I don't get why you're playing it but whatever floats your boat. :)

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Because it's a pay for mod that got officially supported when there was another much better mod that actually completely change the campaign instead of just adding more guns and enemies, Urban Chaos.

Also, the creator of Wildfire is an arrogant dick.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Thanks for the UC praise; we're really proud of what we put out with those limited resources we had. :)

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Swartz posted:

You worked on that?
Props to you man. You made one hell of a nice mod :)

I'm trying to do something much, much smaller than anything you guys did and it's so difficult I'm near giving up. My hat goes off to you.
Don't get me wrong; I didn't do much of the programming poo poo. I mostly designed guns, helped Rude Dog set up the asylum characters and made some of the simpler maps(and several that were unused).

I also made my own mod on the side, Gideon's Mini Mod but it was pretty horrible; I need dudes telling me what to do. ;)

Oh, and the dude the character Rude Dog is based on is a loving idiot. He was the biggest annoyance with the team by far and the fact that he got his self-insert in the game still annoys me.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Swartz posted:

Don't remember "Rude Dog" but I'll take your word for it that he's a retard.
He's the first recruitable NPC you meet in the game.

quote:

Anyway, you did a good job on the guns. Which maps did you do if you don't mind my asking?
I mostly worked on Russian guns(as that's my forté) and the maps I did were mostly military bases and complexes; don't really remember where they ended up.

I don't have the unused maps still but they were for the Drassen replacement but after I had done them another dude figured out that we could do several-story buildings so we replaced my maps.

quote:

I'll cruise around and see what kind of work you did on that mini-mod as I'm always interested in what people have done. You should also consider releasing the unused maps you did if you still have them.
On that mini-mod I did ALL work but I'm not sure if the files are around anymore. It wasn't much though, I uniformized the guns(so that a country wouldn't have weapons from 20 different countries, essentially removed almost all NATO guns), removed the rocket rifles because they're dumb, switched up an NPC or two and raised all damage to make combat really lethal even in late-game.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is there a way to play Urban Combat in 1.13? Or are they just entirely separate?

Seperate. Since I'm not in the team anymore I'm awaiting it's arrival in 1.13 format because it's honestly impossible to go back from 1.13 now.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Whats "Qabby", Crepitus?

And what the gently caress is in P1? An oil rig?

Gabby is a dude related to the bugs.

And if you cheat to teleport to P1 you get to the first level of the demo map. Try to go to the basement there and the game crashes, however, so save before you go there.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

If they changed Fidel or Ivan in any way I'll kill 'em.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Recieved Jagged Alliance DS yesterday. ^^

It's awesome but with two major faults.

1. Ivan's lines, while still in Russian, is stranslated in the subtitles.

2. Unusually Ruthless Reuben doesn't have a hedge trimmer. What gives about THAT?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Ewar Woowar posted:

This time I think I'll just use my IMP and Len. I find it odd whenever everyone goes on about the best merc no one mentions Len. For me he is probably one of the best rounded mercs available plus he's the perfect team mate with his squadleader ability.
Probably because, at least in vanilla, he was unable to gain any skillpoints at all.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

MERC always gets bubba in for me, but no one else.

What's the quickest way to get your coolness level up?
Hire more MERCs and the more you pay, the more MERCs show up.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Where do I find the patch? Or is it applied to Steam already?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Reached the Bear Pitts River in BiA, smiled a bit. Man did I spend a lot of time on that forum.

Also, how do I do manual firing? Since I can't talk to the child worker woman in this game I'm thinking I'll just shoot her in the head and see what happens. Or is that not an adviceable outcome?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

El_Barto posted:

All ammo madness can be easily fixed by modding some text files, as well as weapon range. Btw, you can also edit the online store, effectively giving you the DLC for free. :)

Wait, there's DLC for this game?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

So, uh, in Back in Action, where's the SAM sites? I've only found Cambria and the other two northern ones are not on the map.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

x!te bike posted:

Are there any more Army dudes other than Gus, Len, Cougar and Shadow? I was thinking maybe Conrad but I've no idea how to recruit him. In the last game he just started shooting me if I tried to talk to him. Same for Mike.
You need a guy with, IIRC, at least 50 leadership and a non-hostile personality to talk to Conrad. Once again, IIRC, the order is Direct>Recruit for 5500 a day. Say no to this and he'll go down to 3300 a day.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Someone ported 19 mercenaries (AIM & MERC) from Jagged Alliance 1 to 1.13. :toot:
http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=298288#Post298288

A.I.M.:
Snake
Kaboom

M.E.R.C.:
Leon
Leon and Snake are dead and Kaboom have wisdom 13, how the gently caress did he make it back to A.I.M.?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Kaboom is dead too. His family claims it was just a mistake, and he was merely having "a slow morning" when they removed his organs.
Oh yeah, that's true. Also, Bob is dead too, died in a plane crash. As is Beth, she was shot outside her apartment.

drat, why do I remember this without having played the game for over a year?

As such, I won't install this mod. More mercs is fine but keep the dead dead and reinstate those that actually fit in such as Kelly, Boss, Spam, Rusty, and Spike. You could also reinstate Vinny, Leech, Jimmy and maybe even Postie but they'd be M.E.R.C.s, nothin' else.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

I loving love Gumpy.

"Last one down! That one was better than Reservoir Dogs, man!"

To be honest, I loving love drat near everything in this game.

Also, I'm doing sort of a locals/team Gumpy run, and is there another cheapo not-so-good doctor other than Ira? I suppose I could hire Fox but Fox owns some serious loving bones.
If you're willing to wait, Vince from the Cambria hospital.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

It figures that soon after I ask about Mike showing up, he does. I had him show up in the third of four Alma sectors. The thing is, from what I remember and from what was said in the thread, I thought everyone hated Mike. I mean, he's supposed to be the legendary merc. I have Scully on my team, and when I heard him go "please...let it not be Mike" I thought it was because he was scared. Nope, Scully got the kill shot and was all :emo: "...he was my friend"
Scully is one of Mike's two friends in JA1 and JA:DG, the other one being It.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

There's a version of Urban Chaos with the latest 1.13 edition, too, so you can play the new campaign with all the 1.13 enhancements and such.
Wait, they finally finished it? Goddamn there is literally no reason to play any other JA2 version ever again.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

I think that was Deadly Games, and you could combine gasoline and ANY kind of grenade to make a variety of WMDs! :supaburn::hf::science:
Nope. Gasoline could only be used with oil, bottle and rag to make a molotov cocktail.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

God Of Paradise posted:

This is insanely effective when you want to enter a room full of dudes. With names like eagle fearball it's strange that the game wasn't developed in Japan.

After finally beating JA2 1.13, I then went on to play and beat the original. The second one is a better game, but the first has this pick-up and play, instant gratification appeal for me. It would make the perfect game for a portable console these days.
JA1 is on the DS. It's somewhat censored but still an awesome game.

EDIT: Should read the entire thread before posting.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Playing the 1.13 Wildfire maps(that apparently came with the DG mercenaries mod which I didn't really want but whatever) and as soon as I give Fatima the letter the game crash with a runtime error. Any idea what's causing this?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Burning Mustache posted:

That sounds like a faulty install.
You sure you copied the files to their appropriate places, named the Data folders appropriately, got the proper settings in the various .ini files?
Installed everything "by the book" and haven't changed any ini settings that are related to strategic movement, as the game call it.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

It's really depressing to see the old crew back, one of my favorite studios ever, and to even put in some money myself only to end up with blue balls and a great project smothered in it's crib. :(

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

And it passed!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Speaking of the counter-attack does anyone remember an old total conversion mod called "Urban Chaos". I remember younger me playing that game and finding out the hard way that all mercs start out naked. No weapons, no armor, nothing. I thought I installed it wrong. There were also around 20-30+ enemies per cell. It was insane and to this day I can't see how anyone could possible beat it.

I wonder what ever happened to that mod? It was MASSIVE. Almost all cells were replaced with a huge sprawling metropolis that you could go indoors and everything. Even had a subway system.
I worked on it(old version, stopped modding when the source came out because gently caress that poo poo) and yeah, it was loving insane. It had some blemishes(some of the voice acting, the Rude Dog mercenary, the kick-in-the-balls start) but it were by far the best pre-1.13 mod ever released for that game.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Steroid doesn't train, he got something else building muscles for him. Can't remember what it's called though...

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

chairface posted:

Or NMA, where people are still mulling over whether or not Fallout Tactics was a bad game or not.

I remember getting banned from NMA after years of posting without a single warning or suspension(and I was a mod too!) because I had the gall to not consider F3 to be the bane of Fallout fans everywhere and the death of WRPGs.

The reason I was given was "corporate shill and/or bethseda bandwagoner".

I had never liked a bethseda game before F3(and F3 is the weakest of the four main fallout games IMO) so I found it to be hilarious.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Where the hell is Snake? If it's a prequel and they have Ice they gotta have Snake Edwards!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah CM is a job with extra duties(usually translation, QA and similar mundane poo poo) with low pay but can make a big difference for a company's online presence. Back when I was a CM for InnoGames I was paid poo poo but me and the other CMs were pretty vital in keeping the community going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Wasn't Urban Chaos(the best mod) ported into 1.13 too?