Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
The AI is atrocious. I'm about 1/4 of the way through the game with just Thor and a silenced pistol. It cannot handle stealth at all. Combine that with no fog of war and this game is just boring.

That other lovely Russian JA wannabe had better AI than this, and it occasionally killed more of its troops than you could with grenades and mortars. Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge iirc?

hairrorist fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Heh, guess there were two other lovely Russian JA clones.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011

Frag Man posted:

BIA just clicked for me this night. The strange thing is i kinda play like how I played 1.13, mostly snipers covering every different angle in one big prooning blob. Entering the eastern barracks/dock was nervewracking though, mostly because the enemies insisted on showing up and wrecking the assault crew while I was busy managing the sniper crew outside. Breaching the foodcourt and command central was awesome, with some really intense bottlenecking and use of grenades.

I really think that plan-&-go is the future for this franchise, they just gotta work out the system better. Especially the time to fire needs to be fixed, its ridiculous when the character covers an angle and still needs 0,5-1,5 seconds to fire. I once had to use manual fire to cover a door to time a shotgun blast at a tenacious machete guy who was running to fast.

I agree. I like pausable real-time and I think it will work really well in this context. I just wish the job had fallen to a more competent company. I've officially given up on BIA for the moment. Hopefully it is moddable and the community will fix it, but there's so much broken, missing, and poorly done, that I doubt mods can fix everything.

The AI is most likely hardcoded as well, and that was really the dealbreaker. I just got disgusted after clearing a 6th map with one merc armed with a silenced pistol. You can shoot someone's friend standing literally right beside another enemy and the living dude won't bat an eye.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
I've heard a lot of people talk about the Blue Sun mod for 7.62mm. You can find it here: http://bluesunmod.webs.com/

It's supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't tried it.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Any goons that own 7.62 wanna give us a trip report on Blue Sun? Is the game worth getting and playing with that mod? I have a real JA itch right now and I won't play any more BIA.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Considering they bothered with 7.62....

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Isn't that why God made C4? Or does it still not work like in the demo.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
So I just decided to do a new playthrough while I wait for BiA to become worthwhile. I've seen people discussing good starting mercs and referring to multiple gear sets--is there a way to change their starting loadout in 1.13?

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
So am I a dummy or is there only a single set of starting equipment for each merc? People keep talking about how great it is to hire Wolf with his fifth gear set, which includes a para. But I dunna how.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Hmm, mine has no kit buttons. Maybe I buggered the install?

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Man its been forever since I played this... I forget, is there a way to remove barrel extensions or are they permanent?

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
There a good list of item combinations in 1.13? I know the big ones, but not really what has been added.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Man, it's the little things that make this game great. Raven just shot guy in the head about 50 squares away... not that special right? She shot the dude in the head THROUGH the head of my IMP merc standing in front of her.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Movement is pretty outrageously expensive. Its hard to balance though, without making melee super powerful.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
How do I change what order my mercs appear in on the tactical map and the strategic map? It's driving me nuts.
What kind of leggings can ghillie leggings attach on? None seem to accept it.
Also, does halting a merc's practice to go do something more important cancel the progress, or can you start training again at the level of progress you had beofroe interruption. Can't seem to be sure, but it seems like it is lost?
FYI I have googled and googled for this so if you know please spill the beans?

hairrorist fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 28, 2012

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Is there any way I can get this to work without switching my display to 16bp, sometimes I forget and my newer games get stuck in 16bp. Its really annoying.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Grawwwwwwww, Spike won't let me in the bar even with my kickass 83ld Squadleader IMP merc... how random is it? Certain hours? I've tipped him with $100 before, but that didn't help.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Is there a good list of combinable item recipes for 1.13? I know the basic ones but have forgotten a lot of things.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Goddammmmit where the hell do you get trigger groups? Are they just hella rare? I'm at coolness 9, have AM Rifles available for purchase at Bobby's, but have never seen a trigger group there, used, new, or even at Tony's.

Am I getting RNG hosed or is it a recipe item in 1.13?

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
That'd be it. I've asked before, but is there a list of combineable items for 1.13 or are there no new recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Anyone play 7.62 with the Blue Sun mod? I'm trying to find something that compares to JA2 since BiA was so terrible. I tried 7.62 a while ago vanilla and it had a neat combat system but was way too buggy and unfinished to be real fun.