Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
Anyone else seen the bug where your merc has a messed up portrait? It looks like it's been merged with a robot or something.

edit - in fact I'm not sure I've done this correctly. I downloaded JA2 from GOG.com, then just merged the mod with that installation. There's a data folder, and a data 1.13 folder. Is that going to get picked up? Was there some installation file I should have run and failed to?

Pyrion Flax fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
Just started playing 1.13 after a long time of playing vanilla JA2 and I have a question...

I know I'm playing on Expert, but what is the deal with combat STARTING the moment I load an area, and a merc getting their head literally blown off before I even get a chance to do anything? Is there a way to prevent this? It's day one for gently caress's sake!

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Koorisch posted:

Do you mean when you zipline down from the chopper?

If so then it's most likely unlucky enemy placement, try a new game to see if it works better.

No this is just the average "walking along the road and get ambushed" combat.

I just had a fight where my 6 mercs were up against what I have counted so far as 15 hostiles. In a cornfield it's not too bad, but we've got pistols and have run out of ammo already! This is waaaay harder than I remember it being.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

crashdome posted:

I noticed this too but, I think it's a good thing. It's an ambush. You were ambushed. You will be eating lots of lead. My suggestion: don't go there yet. (Go around! :eng101:)

I don't mind, but I can't even get to Drassen! I have been unable to even get to the airport without getting ambushed and having to reload. Makes me think it's going to be drat near impossible later on.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Just how hard does this game get when you play on expert (1.13 btw)? I've been playing on experienced and, barring some trouble around Cambria which was a pain in the arse, I've managed it all without really getting into bother, just using a couple of sniper rifled mercs and some back up guys with ARs to mop up. I'm not playing drop-all, or sci-fi, and only using 2 imp mercs.

I've hardly seen any black shirts in most sector fights, usually just a couple of guys backing up a ton of stupid red shirts. Does the computer get any smarter on higher difficulties? I've found that night time fighting is just so easy it's almost tempting not to do it. The only time it gets challenging is when you run into a sector with a bunch of black shirts at night because they will use illumination and sniper rifles etc.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

I think I'm probably the cheapest player ever, then, because I will save every round, and reload if it goes badly for me. Do you guys literally play each fight through and just deal with the consequences? Sounds like, you know, kind of a CHALLENGE. I'm enjoying what is essentially cheating but I think playing it properly might make it challenging even on just experienced.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

signalnoise posted:

I am treating the game like the IMP is me, so I only really reload if he gets killed, or the attack I tried is unrecoverable.

poo poo, I like that. It's weird playing without any real threat. Honestly I've just been playing it as a time waster since it's fun making people's heads explode with the Gepard.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I just took Drassen Airport and I'm getting attacked by waves of 8-9 dudes every few in-game hours. Is this normal? How do I get my mercs a chance to heal up?

You don't need to have the whole town under your control to train militia, and the airport is the most important part of the town (and the easiest to defend) so what I tend to do is this:

1) Conquer drassen, defeat the counter-attackers, loot everything, shift-click to sell stuff to make enough money for militia training
2) Immediately retreat to airport
3) Go into tactical mode and position my mercs in the airport sector such that anybody coming near the main gate is gonna get a face full of lead - generally speaking I lie all the mercs down quite a way inside the airport compound, but all facing the main gate.
4) If Bobby Ray's is active, I order a med kit if I don't have one
5) Now, set a dude to doctor but generally speaking I DON'T use the "surgery" option because it seems to consume your medkits more quickly. You have to heal up your mercs as much as you can between fights, but you ALSO have to have a couple of dudes training militia. Once you've got the airport covered in militia, you can retake Drassen sector by sector and repeat.

That's how I do it anyway.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

I can't understand all the drat threads on the bear pit about UC. I found this thread

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273927#Post273927

But there seem to be three different things, the guy is talking about unstable releases, AIMNAS, SCIs and I am stupid and don't know what the gently caress to do.

I've made a copy of my JA2 1.13 folder, and I just want to know what to put in that folder to make a stable, workable version of UC that works with 1.13. Can someone smart please help me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

OK I got the Urban Chaos mod working. A few hilarious things - the terrible voice acting is good for a laugh, but more hilarious it the fact that all the female dialogue seems to have been recorded using one of those text-to-speech apps, presumably because they couldn't find any girls.

They've also added in "Jubilee", who is Angelina Jolie, and totally over-powered for an early merc.

Anyway, anyone who has played UC before...is it meant to be ROCK loving hard? The game opens with the player totally weaponless arriving into a firefight at the airport, then you are directed to use the subway, where you are immediately attacked by a gang of guys, and if you beat them and actually use the train, you disembark RIGHT into another firefight. I had to reload a few times because the moment the sector loaded Biff would get a face full of buckshot and die.