Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

As an American, I realize that my primary advantage lies in being as well-armed as possible at all times.
Some of the item descriptions in this game are pretty amusing.

quote:

AKS-47

Designed for portability and versatility with BMP APC's in mind, this AK is the Russian equivalent to a Walkman--trendy for its time, practical, and a cause of hearing loss.

.50 Action Express Mag

Magazine size, accuracy, and controllability are a fair trade-off for stopping power and coolness, right? Because if you're going to use an overpriced, impractical and unreliable handgun instead of a perfectly good rifle, you're going to need ammunition for it.

Treylis fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

As an American, I realize that my primary advantage lies in being as well-armed as possible at all times.

Fire it up fag posted:

Disable the Drassen counterattack in the config file -- this is an absolute must for a newbie playthrough.

If he's decent with Silent Storm and the like I'm sure he'll be fine, the Drassen counterattack is far from unbeatable, I'd just save before taking all of Drassen--and then you can let them take the city and then reclaim it at night with NVGs/Night Ops, this'll also spread out the attack force.

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

Psion posted:

Yeah, it's far from unbeatable if you know what you're doing and you use specific character builds, strategy, and equipment to make it easier. None of which he knows :v:

It's a giant pain in the balls that early in the game and there's a reason it got disabled, so I'd leave it off the first time and turn it on thereafter if you feel like it unless you like hating yourself, in which case do it.

Fire it up fag posted:

Nah, it's going to start the game as a horrendous quicksave-reload-adjust-reload-adjust-reload festival rather than an actual legitimate turn based 'experience'. It's fairly dumb to say that experience with other games will make it a manageable for new players because it requires a lot of knowledge in order to beat without what is essentially cheating.

It's a pain even for experienced players.

Hey, it's not like he self-described himself as an "isometric tactical god" or anything. If you do it the spoilered method it doesn't require any cheating whatsoever and is amazingly easy compared to slugging it out straight-up.

Without any real specific knowledge of the game you can also do it by setting up the ol' turn-based strategy tunnel of death in the barber shop or bar, which is exactly what I did the first time. And that's the charming thing about TBS--you have all the time in the world to think about what the best course of action should be.

EDIT: just to be clear this is purely because of the "god" thing, if he'd said he was middling with the genre or something I'd not have advised it

etalian posted:

Yup, it's pretty miserable so I leave it off. Fight 2-3 waves of 20 bad guys is not fun with pistols and shotguns at best.

A simple retrograde maneuver and you'll not have to deal with those waves.

Treylis fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 14, 2009

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Hey it sounds like we can't swallow a little hyperbole or enthusiasm.

I'm the one who can't swallow it because I'm suggesting that he go for it rather than not? It doesn't take a lot to handle the counterattack, just the thought "oh, hey, I'm outnumbered massively, instead of standing ground perhaps withdrawing and reengaging on my own terms might be a good idea." Shocking, I know.

Let them take the city and spread out, then you can retake from the airport and leisurely stroll back down to the mine while training militia, no repeated 20-man wave stuff.

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

Gah, I was able to use medic/first aid LBE before but now equipping it or looking at it causes an instant CTD, glanced at the forums but don't see any fixes, just some guy with SAW LBE having the same issue--that stopped for him mysteriously. I would assume it's something to do with the common syringe pockets but after waving a dead chicken at it in a few various ways I can't seem to get around it.

Rex Deckard posted:

Razor is the gem in that group. Do not let those stats scare you away, I have used him in every game and there is some underlying stats that are hiding because he levels quick, shoots better then his skill might suggest, even when not psycho, and never ever gets tired.

Yeah, mercs have a "need for sleep" attribute you can glance at in proedit, Razor has the lowest value of any merc in the game. He also does seem to skill up way faster than his wisdom would suggest--I had him strength-training folks and his leadership just skyrocketed. Considering his dirt-cheap price he's an excellent option.