Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I'm having a lot of problems with militia being totally worthless. I'm used to needing to retrain SAM garrisons after every attack, but the 20 guys I can put in there can't seem to win against the forces that get sent to attack them on a regular basis. I have to save before every attack, reload several times and pray.

I also just got attacked in Alma by 20 troops and my 40 militia (20 regular, 20 green) were able to kill a grand total of one enemy before they were all slaughtered. I'm only playing on Expert. Is this normal? In vanilla JA I never remember having these problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Diabl0658 posted:

So i just downloaded the new patch and fired up the ol JA2. End of the first day I captured the first town. BAM! 73 soldiers attack out of loving nowhere, and I have 3 guys, and im only on experienced difficulty. I demand an explanation

You could read the thread, where people talked about the Drassen counterattack and how to turn it off for about a page (the guy two posts above you did).

Open the INI editor in your JA2 directory, go to the gameplay settings and turn the setting about the queen sending soldiers to reinforce Drassen to "off".

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Malus posted:

I'm having trouble assaulting Alma at the moment. I've snuck into the Mine at night but everytime I get spotted 12 guys come in from another sector and just wreck my poo poo.

What am I doing wrong?

Clear the adjacent sectors first. There are patrols that pass to the south and east of the mine, if you attack them you'll not only wipe out the reinforcements that they can send but also draw troops off from the mine sector.

I also find that for attacking large garrisons, and doubly so for nice open wilderness maps, it's a better idea to go during the day and bring a couple of real, long-range bolt action sniper rifles with 10x scopes. For each sniper you have, you're all but guaranteed to kill or critically injure one enemy each turn from far enough away that they never pose a threat. If you keep your other mercs in close with assault rifles you can pick off anyone who closes in to get at the snipers.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Pentheus posted:

Yeah no I'm not. I've wasted what probably amounts to weeks of my life on this game; I know how it's supposed to play. None of this stuff happens in vanilla JA2. I'll poke around for a buglist or something on the 1.13 Wiki I guess since I'd be very surprised if I was the only one experiencing these problems, but goddamnit this is frustrating. I used to love this game.

I have experienced #3 in vanilla JA. It's a rare bug. Without looking at the code, I can't categorically deny #1 or #2, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I have never had issues with initiative/interrupts when using experienced mercs, and I've never had issues hitting an enemy on the roof.

Of course, the great thing is, you don't have to play 1.13 if you don't like it. Vanilla JA is just a reinstall away.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Do you have them selected in the ingame options menu? It's the option on the far bottom right.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Alma as second city protip: attack the warehouse sector (the northeast) first, nighttime preferably. Clear the roof of the north warehouse and the guards at the northeast gate, blow a hole in the rear wall of north warehouse, have all mercs covering the explosion hole and annihilate anyone who comes out. Loot the guns from the corpses and crates, finish the sector, and clear the rest of the place now that you have vastly better weaponry.

I use pretty much the same strategy for Tixa. First sneak in and activate the gas, then blow a huge hole in the back wall and storm the place while everyone's passing out and can't see.

This strategy works pretty much any time you need to enter a defended building, come to think. Doors are for sissies.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

pesty13480 posted:

When militia and enemies play the radio animation, what precisely are they doing?

I pretty much pretend they're calling for reinforcements. I've never seen any drastic shifts in militia or redshirt action after a call animation though so who knows.

I have a theory that in 1.13 someone on the map has to actually call reinforcements from other sectors before they show up but I don't know if that's true or not.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

I got them on the head slot, and the END key doesnt seem to change when I go poo poo+n to on and off. I thought maybe it doesnt change dynamically but even then it doesn't.

Shift-N is only used for swapping between whatever is currently on your eyes and whatever is currently attached to your helmet. If you're wearing NVGs and don't have anything attached to the helmet it won't do anything. Try putting the item in inventory, check LOS, then put it in a head slot and check LOS again. It should change.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You must be putting it in the wrong slot, there are two slots in the upper left that are used for NVGs, sun glasses, extended ears and gas masks. Are you putting it in the helmet slot? I didn't even think that was possible.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Hamous just got one-shotted by a sniper. I don't think I've ever actually seen a merc get killed in a single hit before, but Hamous has terrible HP.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The 1.13 team never ceases to amaze. I can't believe that development has been ongoing for so long without internet drama causing the whole thing to fall apart, and that the changes they've made have been entirely reasonable and fun. There might be a few exceptions (*cough* Drassen counterattack) but since everything can be turned off and on via the ini it doesn't ruin the whole experience.

To my eternal shame I have never beaten the game despite owning it since release. I always, always stall out when I get to Grumm, don't play for a few months and decide to start over again when I pick it back up.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Senso posted:

In one of my tries, I had this guy who starts with a lockpick kit, forgot his name. But each time I placed it in his hand and right-clicked over a door, it showed a big question mark and nothing happened.

I feel so stupid playing this game, I played the original JA when I was a teen, yeeears ago but never went back and I clearly am a total newbie now. Feels weird.

You don't have to put the lockpick kit in a merc's hand to use it. If it's in their inventory and you tell them to open a locked door, a menu will pop up shaped like a box with little panels that each correspond to a different action. Select the one that says lockpick when you mouse over it and they'll try to pick it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The true solution to urban combat woes is to make your own doors. Blow a hole in the wall with TNT or a LAW and start shooting.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

This doesn't seem to work--every time I try it, even if the bomb explodes 5 feet away from a grunt and they're flat on their rear end seeing stars it will still give them the first turn.

To get around this, if you've got a wall of sufficient length you can position mercs on either side of the breach prior to blowing the wall, or move them quickly around corners and into position. Usually this leads to the enemy sprinting out and getting interrupted by your whole team.

If you've got room you can also plant a sniper in position covering the breach where (s)he can pop a few heads and hopefully draw the remaining enemies out.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If I tried a gimmick run putting together 3 squads and hitting all 3 SAM sites simultaneously, would each SAM be equal difficulty? From what I've been able to tell the game reinforces the remaining SAMs after one falls but is that instantaneous, or does the queen have to actually move troops there? Would their equipment improve instantly or is that on a timer as well?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Not nearly as complicated as CTH, but then nothing else is:

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=195232#Post195232

Still a good read if you're interested.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Screenshots look pretty, but there's no way it'll ever approach the customization and depth of 1.13. I hope they prove me wrong, though.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

Is there any way to open the delivery crate without picking up all of the poo poo on it? Like, if I had previously ordered deliveries, but not moved them. Sometimes I'll have to pick every stupid thing up and chuck it aside just so I can get at the new stuff.

Use the inventory screen from the strategic view, not tactical. Never bother trying to pick items up or move them between mercs in the tactical view unless you have to do it during combat. Strategic is much easier.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Perfidia posted:

For me it is pretty much exactly the opposite; I play for the character interactions and humour. I finally got so tired a while ago that I even stopped playing 1.13 because I could not stand the millions of guns and stuff that mean absolutely nothing to me, and just went back to 1.12/Gold and UB (which I still like for making new sectors and trying things in).

I just want basically bug fixes and some options, but all the equipment junk brings me to tears before the game even starts now :( Sorry

Why not just select to play with less guns at the start of the game? Last time I checked turning off Tons of Guns let you play with just the guns from 1.12. You can select the old inventory system too if that bothers you.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Perfidia posted:

Well thanks to your glowing review and handy tips I guess I can make a final try. (non-snarky) I messed up my INI before, modified the wrong one, so things was extra messed up, but I'll see what I can do. It really is a wonderful game that I wish had been properly continued with a Sirtech JA3 at least.

Other important things to remember if you're looking to preserve a semblance of 1.12 style gameplay are to turn off the Drassen counterattack and enemies reinforcing adjacent sectors. I love 1.13 and I still turn those off because I don't find them to be very fun.

I don't know when this was added, but on the second page of the preferences menu there's an option to add XP bars to all the merc's stats so you can see when they're going to level up. This is an awesome feature.

edit: I have the new AIM starting gear interface enabled but I'm only seeing one set of gear to choose from for each merc. Is there a way to change kits that I'm missing?

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 12, 2010

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Frankly I don't really care what they do, if it sucks I'll just keep playing 1.13 and be perfectly happy. If the devs are really smart they'll made it wide open for modding and we'll end up with JA2_RACIST_QUOTES ini options or something.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not really, because pseudo-RTS mechanics like in 7.62 are objectively better than grid-based turn-based gameplay.

There's nothing objective about that. It's purely subjective, an opinion. There are plenty of people who prefer turn based systems over real time ones.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

How updated is the OP with regards to the links for the 1.13 patch and other bells and whistles? I'm going to reinstall again today and make a genuine try at learning and enjoying this and I want to make sure I'm getting it all down correctly.

The most up to date executable installer can be found in this Bear's Pit forum thread. I think all the gameplay information in the OP is still accurate.

I have had some stability issues with the most recent builds, but they're doing a bugfix pass right now and will put out a new official build when that's done. Not sure on the ETA. I would recommend saving often.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
HAM is included in the installer that I linked above, so don't use that if you don't want HAM. Use the installer linked in the OP instead. I like the additions, particularly facilities and the stat increase progress bars.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The best way to handle picking items up is to go to the strategic map, right-click on your sector and go to sector inventory. That lets you shuffle things around easily. You can't use it in combat, though.

This hotkey list from the OP is extremely useful, using CTRL+SHIFT+F after combat will save you a lot of time. It organizes everything, unloads all weapons, removes all attachments and puts any backpacks you dropped during combat back on the correct mercs.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The Wildfire AIMNAS package is based on the Wildfire mod for JA2, which was released as a retail package and drastically changes the layout of the island and the various tactical maps. The AIMNAS bit tells you that it has the Alpha Item Mod with the New Attachment System. Urban Chaos is another mod which I believe only changes tactical maps and not the strategic island map.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Expected "in the next few days" according to a dev post.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The Bear's Pit is showing a countdown timer to an "important announcement" which I assume is either the release of the new version or at least a concrete release date. It looks like it's counting down to 8 PM EST tomorrow, 5/24.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Site says: "This weekend, Santa's coming to town for all JA2 fans: New v1.13 release is almost here!"

So, no 1.14 yet.

1.13 is the name of the project now, not a version number. All releases are just new versions of 1.13.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

drat, now I want to start a new playthrough but I'm torn between doing a full auto machine gunner and also doing a John Woo dual-wielder.

I'm doing a two-IMP playthrough with those two character types and it's glorious. The gunslinger is up over 80 marksmanship (he started at 70) and I haven't even taken Drassen SAM yet, he just fires so many bullets that the skill skyrockets.

I'm really liking NCTH so far. It just feels like it makes a lot more sense than the old system. One of my favorite things is watching my machinegunner walk bullets onto a target during auto fire. He doesn't even have a real MG yet and he's tearing up the place.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Thompsons posted:

1) Do backpacks make my guys move more slowly in combat? I notice Ira moves faster than anyone else, even at full weight capacity and the only difference is she doesn't have a backpack.
Yes, backpacks slow mercs down. Use shift-b to drop all backpacks when entering combat and ctrl-shift-f to pick them up and sort sector inventory afterward.

Thompsons posted:

2) How do I claim San Mona and is it even worth it?
You can't capture San Mona or reactivate the mine.

Thompsons posted:

3) Are there any newbie guides out there just on basic tactics/clearing a sector? When I got a bunch of militia behind me it's easy, but taking out a place with just IMP mercs is getting the best of me.
Move slowly, keep your mercs behind cover, and never send a merc out alone when you don't know where the enemy is. Using burst or full auto fire is extremely effective even at range now, if it doesn't kill the enemy it will at least suppress them which reduces their AP.

Thompsons posted:

4) Early/Midgame spoiler I guess Once Deidranna's chief scientist goes missing is there a time limit for me finding him? Anyone got any hints on where I should look?
There's no time limit and honestly I don't even bother most of the time but you can look east or west of Alma, west of Cambria, south of San Mona.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
D14 is just buggy, I got the same thing. Skyrider was still around in another sector (B14 for me I think).

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I can't stand to play with reinforcements turned on. I would be fine if it took several turns from an alert for a few guys to start wandering in from adjacent sectors, but this current setup of "bring in 3/4 of the troops from adjacent sectors the turn after combat starts" is just not fun to me at all.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Started playing this again, forgot pretty much everything, two questions:

Is there an easier way to deal with loot when it drops? Typically I do shift+S, shift+F and then go to the map screen to mess with the item list there. Is this pretty much the way everyone does it usually? It took me awhile to figure out how to open people's inventories from the map screen but I still haven't figured out how to trade/pass stuff around without going back to tactical.

I hear about how people find wire cutters and other random stuff. Do you have to explore random rooms and mouse cursor over everything to see what's a possible container?

Sector inventory cleanup made easy: hit ctrl-shift F and ctrl-shift A after every battle. Unloads all guns, removes all attachments, sorts everything, turns all ammo into crates which you can drop on a gun to turn into properly sized magazines for it. It also picks up any dropped backpacks.

Pass stuff around in strategic by clicking on it and clicking the arrows under the merc portrait, or by just dropping it in sector inventory.

At first you might have to mouse over everything to see if it's a container but there's only about a half dozen actual container models in the game. Metal crate, wooden crate, some sort of chest, a locker, and white and black filing cabinets. Occasionally there's a desk you can open.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I usually find Cambria easier to take than Grumm, with the added advantage of taking the central SAM so that I have clear skies over almost the entire map. Your difficulties could also be in your merc choice and equipment. Don't be afraid to hang out in your captured territory building up some funds to get a nice kit from Bobby Ray's. You'd be amazed how much a set of good assault rifles with a mix of 4x and 7x optics will increase combat effectiveness.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

TehGherkin posted:

I think it's time to dust off my copy and give this another go, what with the 1.13 update and the intriguing new traits system and such, couple quick questions: Will I be alright running this on Vista, and does anyone have a direct D/L link to the newer version of 1.13? (I've tried to do that Tortoise SVN thing a couple times and always gently caress it up somehow, so much for this ICT college course :eng99:), thanks goons.

Download link: http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/w/page/4218334/Downloads
Be sure to get both the hotfix and the full release. It should work fine on Vista.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

SpookyLizard posted:

The AI also seems pretty randomly able to detect my dudes, as my rampant use of Quick Save/Quick Load have deduced. Also, is there a way to get a an actual percentage of CTH instead of just the reticule thingy?

There's no way to get a single number for CTH in the new system, unfortunately. You could always switch back to the old CTH and see how you like it.

As far as sneaking goes, it does have a random element but laying prone in cover and using the appropriate camouflage makes a big difference, especially at night. Sometimes it seems like the enemy detects you earlier than they actually have, if they make a beeline for you and then stop and fire it's possible that they just randomly decided to head that direction and saw you while moving.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Zereth posted:

I believe this also restores lost stats from injuries, so if you need a merc up and running RIGHT NOW and you've got a spare medkit for afterwards, it can be useful, as fixing up lost stats takes a while the slow way.

Yeah, surgery definitely restores lost stats at about the same percentage as it restores health lost. 30% for paramedic, 50% for doctor. It also gives a big boost to medical skill. Ira gets about 3 points of medical skill per surgery the first few times you use it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You could use the XML editor to throw whatever it is you want into a random merc's starting gear and then hire them for a day, or make it buyable from Bobby Ray's, but I don't know of any way more direct than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Yes, 1.13 is still under active development. There's a link in the OP to the latest version, just released on May 27. If the new inventory was still a new thing the last time you played... hoo boy. The latest development is a new system for calculating chance to hit when shots are fired which changes the game significantly, but there's been so many other changes I couldn't possibly list them all. Give it a shot, see how you like it. Remember that virtually everything is customizable via the INI editor in the game's install directory.