Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Bought this game during the steam sale and it's absolutely fantastic.

You can get a one-click installer here rather than downloading Tortoise because you're not going to be changing the source so who the gently caress cares:

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=172234&page=1#Post172234

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TR0LL posted:

That one click installer is nice but its not the most recent version, the most recent is 2445 and that version is 2296

This is what we mean by they suck at documentation and organization.

Also "Enemies Drop all Items" should be unmarked in the 1.13 there is a new drop table

options.inf entry
ENEMIES_ITEM_DROP = 1

Which drop item system for enemies and militia would you like to use?

0 = Use default drop item system for enemies and militia.
1 = Use the new drop item system from XML-Files (EnemyWeaponDrops.xml, EnemyAmmoDrops.xml, EnemyArmourDrops.xml, EnemyExplosiveDrops.xml, EnemyMiscDrops.xml) for enemies and militia. You also have to disable "Enemies drop all items" in the option screen, to use the new drop item system.
Is there a changelog somewhere? am I missing something important? Is my save file compatible with new versions? I'm thinking about re-starting because I'm playing sci-fi mode and gently caress that. I've got Drassen and Alma though, and they were kinda hard to win...although now that I know how to play the game it'll be easier, I'd imagine :D

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also I just compressed the latest SVN build down to 187MB and can upload that somewhere if someone finds me a place to do it at.

rapidshare.com

I'm playing sci-fi mode and as a result I'm in the mines. gently caress these bugs. I'm running out of ammo fighting them - I didn't realize I'd have to be prepared for 6 or so screens worth of these fucks. I've got Tixa, Alma, and Drassen...I'm thinking about re-starting and not playing sci-fi anymore. The mines are the only thing sci-fi mode adds?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Georg LeBoui posted:

By the way, now that I'm attacking towns and all that, has anyone ever attempted to form a SWAT-like team that can quickly storm through a building? Or would this be impossible on the JA2 engine?

The enemy often isn't in the buildings, though. When they are, I've found its much more effective to blow a hole in the wall with TNT while having a couple of snipers waiting for the hole, and then storming the building with the semi-auto 40mm grenade launcher.

In other news I just used the semi-auto 40mm GL today and its loving awesome. So are mortars. It took me about 20 hours to get the heavy weaponry but now that I have it, this game is even more awesome.

I just wish bobby ray would sell more than 1-2 mortar shells at a time.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Wait, how many IMP mercs can you get? I thought you only got one?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

HoldYourFire posted:

With 1.13 you can get six (one for every voice set), by re-entering the activation code into IMP's website.

Wow that seems really cheap. $3k for a merc with customized attributes beats the hell out of hiring a team of dudes, seems like it would mess with the balance a bit.

Good to know for playthrough 2 :)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

physeter posted:

I've never been able to figure out how to effectively use auto fire in 1.13. I know how to switch the modes on the gun, but it seems like my merc will either shoot just one bullet (waste of AP, potentially getting himself killed by a counterattack), or if I click frantically, he might randomly unleash anywhere from 2-6 bullets.

Is there anyway to actually use autofire predictably?

right-click to add bullets (and AP) to a shot. Drag it around to cover an area.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

sentientcarbon posted:

Yeah, I started a game up before seeing this thread, and I'm up to Meduna, so I don't want to lose my saves by switching to a new version :sigh:.

As an aside, someone should update the JA2 1.13 wiki. It's the first hit you get googling Jagged Alliance 2 1.13, and the 'current release' is 2085 :(.

it will update your save-game for you. I was using 2285 or something that wasn't the newest version, and it updated.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ansob. posted:

How do you make militia roaming, anyway? I still don't know. :(

Once you fill up a city with maximum trained militia the new ones start roaming

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Huszsersvn posted:

If you're feeling particularly ballsy, you could try to steal into the northeastern sector of Alma in the dead of night, kill everyone without sounding the alarm, untrap and unlock the warehouse doors and then chopper out with bags full of rifles, attachments, grenades, fuel and armor.

Why would you do this when you can set a bunch of TNT to blow the gently caress out of the walls and break in that way, guns blazing?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gyoru posted:

Found this image of all the AIM mercs for Back in Action posted elsewhere.
http://i.imgur.com/zfYCT.jpg

I count 40 of them there.

Does anyone have a picture of Miguel?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

But, they're extra bits of downloadable content that we have to pay for... it's the very definition of DLC regardless of whether or not it's available as a pre-order bonus somewhere else.

Various distributors give you special bonuses for having unique pre-order content, and since those bonuses are usually advertising assistance it's pretty helpful for indies. Selling them afterwards does not seem like as terrible a crime to me personally.

But I'm on the dev-side and have had to make this kind of stuff so I am probably more sympathetic.

But seriously, can anyone get me a screenshot of Miguel? I work with him in real life (as in, the guy they modeled the face after who used to work at Sirtech) and seeing him in JA2 amuses me and seeing a smooshy 3d version of him would be hilarious.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

redreader posted:

Is back in action set in the same place? If so that is making this thread confusing.

It's a re-envisioning of JA2, yes.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Yannos posted:

Just met the guy, so here you go!
Miguel in his 3D glory

Thanks! Unfortunately that portrait is as disappointing and poorly rendered as the rest of them. They even missed his earring :(

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I suppose $30K worth of mortar shells is as fair as anything. He asked for his $30K back, he didn't specify what currency he wanted it in. :clint:

I'm giving it back 9mm at a time :hellyeah: :madmax:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

So I got JA2 to check it out and it is just really confusing me. All my dudes run around backwards and I have no idea how to move the view around. Or how to put the game into windowed mode.

tap alt - if you alt-tab it'll stick the alt key down, which makes your dudes moonwalk at increased AP.

You can move the view around with the arrow keys or by mousing around the corners of the screen.

I don't think the game has a windowed mode?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fonzarelli posted:

I literally haven't changed him from the starting pistol. Ohhh man is it because i picked up some ammo off the ground and it like, took his gun out of his hand?

I can't wait to get a handle on this game but whew its a little obtuse considering I was like, 10 when it came out.

The game is wicked obtuse and the UI takes a ton of learning. It gets really good, though :)

I find it's easier to just play and learn and when your guys all die and you gently caress up, just start a new game.

When you're in the small UI (shows the 6 portrait slots as opposed to the one and the whole inventory) you need to have a gun in the top of the two slots that show - if you're holding an object with the gun underneath, that means you have your gun ready but are holding the other object in your primary hand. You put grenades, binoculars, wirecutters, etc in that slot to be able to use them instead of shooting your gun. Throwing a grenade without doing that will make you throw it without it being a weapon.

Also, this is related - moving things around in your inventory will frequently cost you AP during turn-based mode, so try not to move stuff around that is unnecessary during that time. Moving objects to your back slot (sling) and your hands will not cost AP.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I named my IMP Kickass the first time I played, and use the voice where he says "That could have been bad, but I have some Kickass Karma" whenever a shot lands near him, and ever since thats all I roll for IMPs, because it sounds incredibly lame.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"Got some inconveniences to dispose of!" :
"Target Dispatched." :smug:
"Serious SNAFU HERE!" :byodood:
"No more ammo?!"

The IMP voices are so awesomely terrible.

\/\/\/\/\/ :laugh:

I forget which female voice it is but one of them will say "I'm finished my task" and I have no idea how the writer, voice actress, and possible QA all missed it because the bad grammar is maddening.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
6IMPs, All Mortars, All the time.

No close combat weapons so keep you team spaced out enough that you can drop a close range mortar to hit people trying to melee your team.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
My first time playing JA was with "drop everything" and I tried it without it and it isn't the same.

I don't sell things in sectors before I leave unless I'm short on funds so I don't wind up completely breaking the economy, but its nice to be able to pick up NVGs without buying them all :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the key for this again? I couldn't find it last time.

In the [CD]-looking settings menu that has the save and load stuff, it's one of the many options, it might be on the second page (hit next to scroll to the third column)