Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So I just took Dressen Airport in 1.13, I don't have time to get a Bobby shipment before I get counterattacked. Should I try to take the whole of Dressen first? Or try to hold the airport and get a shipment before taking the rest? Not sure if my guns are enough.

Edit: I've got 16k, Ira, Barry, Igor and me.

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

/\/\/\
Use Ctrl to pick up stuff. It can be kinda hard to see stuff sometime, but if you enter the map menu you can rightclick your sector and choose inventory to see everything in that sector of the map.

Mister Bates posted:

More supplies. Unless you exploit the gently caress out of the AI's behavior the starting gear absolutely will not be enough to handle that counterattack. Do you have Chitzena yet? The mine there will give you a bit of daily income that should hypothetically allow you to bring in more poo poo before long.

I disabeled the counter attack. Last time I played I just cheesed it by staying insida a house and aiming all my merc at the door. I took the second square of Dressen now. Should I just try to take the mine and train a shitload of militia?

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 16, 2012

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Ok, so I've taken Drassen. What's the best way to keep it? They just seem to eat my milita. Do I have to equip them or something?

Also, I adopted a retarded french girl called Flo, which I'm gonna make into a supersoldier. Right now she just panics though :psyduck:

How long until I can get a merc from the rebels? I have talked to the priest.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Just as I took Chitzena, the Drassen mine ran out. So now I have a really low income.

Any tip on where to go next? It feels like I have to go between chitzena and drassen back and forth training miltia just to keep them.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

sauer kraut posted:

Leave a cheap militia trainer behind in every city to replenish losses. Ira, Buns or Flo are pretty good candidates for that early game. Don't forget to train 20 blue militia on every air defense map, too.
Your combat squad should only help out with miltia training for the first batch of 20 greens and to defend a possible fast counterattck, until your dedicated trainer arrives to take over.

Later when you get more income (don't forget to sell expensive stuff you don't want) you can hire Stephen or Raider just to sit around, practice Leadership and quickly replace blue shirts who died.

After Chitzena you should take out the San Mona mobsters if you haven't already, then the central city of Cambria and the air defense sector just south of it. Grumm and Alma are pretty much the late mid/early endgame after you secured the center and have free reign over most of the airspace.

I've got Flo, Ira, Ivan, Igor, Barry and my sniper imp.

The problem is that my income is like 5k or something since I lost the mine, and San Mona does not have a mine (abandoned means empty I'm guessing?) So I can't really hire a merc to compensate for leaving Flo and Ira. Maybe I should just restart, now that I've gotten used to the game and strats.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

God Of Paradise posted:

Can Ira or Flo even train militia in 1.13 if you don't teach them leadership for about a week?

I've trained Ira until she could. Flo isn't quite there yet. Maybe I've been wasting too much time training scrubs :D

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Since someone said that the best weapon guide was outdated, any tips for nice weapons? I just got access to Bobby Ray's, but having like 20 diff smgs and pistols is so confusing.

Thinking about getting Baikal 233 for Igor.

Not sure what rifle my sniper imp should have.

What are some nice retard-proof weapons for Flo, Ira and Gumpy? :D

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

"Oh, mon dieu! That was more satisfying than an orgasm!"

Oh Flo, you spoiled complainy french brat.

I really like Gumpy's movie quotes too. "They're HERE!"

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

That's a scripted event. Just wait a few days.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Nordick posted:

Well, shoot. I don't remember seeing that before, despite having played the game several times over.
I guess it makes sense though, I mean if I actually managed to break it, the game crashing would be a more likely result instead of an in-game 404 error. I guess I managed to subconsciously rationalize it with something like "maybe the devs programmed that in just in case of bugs or something". I think I need more coffee, or some sleep. :v:

Again in other news, dual Five-Sevens and the P90 still feel pretty overpowered. Granted, the ammo is expensive as gently caress and highly rare outside of Bobby Ray's.

I was kinda wtf when it happened to me first time too.

I'm running diac-something with 3 of my mercs. It's some kind of green canadian colt m1 version i think. Works really well with a trigger group.

Ira uses the stripped steyr aug, with x7 and trigger group and her aim is godly.

Igor has a Baikal 233b, which except for 2 shell mag is a great shotty. Gonna get the USAS when I can though, drum full auto shotty every day.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Crescendo posted:

Thanks for the gimmick ideas everyone who posted. :)

In a similar vein, is creating a shotgun-using IMP merc actually viable? I didn't fire a shotgun more than a few times in my last playthrough because they seemed utterly useless. But I want to!

I was thinking of creating a "Hunter" (+20% CtH with Shotguns, -50% APs to pump Shotguns) with maybe "Athletics" (for efficient movement APs to outmaneuver enemies) and/or "Demolitions" (for grenade bonuses to use as a backup weapon). Or maybe I should swap "Athletics" for "Bodybuilding" for the extra damage resistance and resiliance to unarmed attacks?

Does this sound okay? I would appreciate advice from anyone who likes to use shotguns or has been successful with them in the past.

I just want to be a crazy shotgunning grenade thrower that strikes fear into the hearts of my enemies. :madmax:

Slugs increase the range. Shotguns are really nice I think. Especially the full auto ones :D

Edit: What stats are for grenades? Str?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

redreader posted:

There's this period at the start of the game while you heal in drassen and get the first round of supplies, when you're thinking "man I should just get another delivery from bobby ray's... just another.... just another."

I always forget something minor, wait for more money and waste it all on gear. I really love the detail in the eq. Sure it can be tedius sometimes, but having every pouch be an item is cool.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

How is JA Online? poo poo? I don't really want to sign up for it unless I know it's at least fun.

Also: Isn't it shift+r?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Who should I hire to train milita in Drassen while I romp around and take bullets to the head? I'm using Flo, Igor, Barry, Ira, Gumpy.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Nordick posted:

Well, you can enable the .ini option of every MERC merc being instantly available, but that apparently doesn't work for an ongoing game (I tried), gotta start a new one.
Those guys are different from the early MERC guys in that they are actually really good for real, and their pay is accordingly high.
Gaston is loving hilarious in his absolute flamboyant Frenchess though, I highly recommend him.
EDIT: Also, Tex is in the vanilla 1.13 too, or at least was. I had him once, he was drat funny.
"I hear rustling. Could be rustlers."

Everyone knows Flo and Gumpy are the best mercs ever. Flo has battle-orgasms and Gumpy is a neckbeard mouthbreather who quotes movies :D

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Ok, so I just started a new game, and I have no idea what weapons to buy. I think I'm at coolness 4, just took the airstrip. There are so many guns!

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Burning Mustache posted:

In general, most pistols are not usually worth buying unless there's some gimmick to them, like the Glock 18 with its full-auto mode or the Five-Seven with its penetrating ammo.
If you need a pistol, you'll want to buy something like that, otherwise use whatever you can loot from enemies.
(To clarify: That's not to say that pistols are useless, far from it. What I mean is that most pistols have such few gamplay differences between each other, that when you do want to buy one, you'll want to spend your money on something that stands out.)

For SMGs, the MP5 line of guns will serve you well and are a good investment (HK guns in general are, most of their ARs and pistols are also pretty good, although they're obviously quite expensive). Alternatively, the Steyr AUG Para is really, really handy for the early game, as it's available quite early, uses 9x19 ammo (which you can loot plenty of), comes with a 2x scope, and is a pretty decent alround SMG on top of that. Both guns, MP5 and Aug Para are very viable to use even later in the game (silenced and in night ops), provided you use AET ammo.

For rifles, some M4 variants should be available early and make for all around decent assault rifles.

Later on, when you'll need more punch than 5.56, I've always really enjoyed the FN FAL OSW.

Just make sure not to bother with stuff like Mini-14s, PPShs, Tommy Guns and all those things. For one thing, these guns will become outclassed really soon, and you will be able to loot plenty of them from enemies.

I prefer to buy guns less often but when I do, spend the money on more modern, expensive, reliable, quality guns instead.

That and some specific guns for style purposes, like revolvers for certain mercs :v:

Thanks! I decided to go for 2 rugers and 2 revolvers for Fox. I also got a m16-like smg, I forget the name. Just gonna see if I can defend against the 13 enemies attacking, so I can grab my delivery and take the rest of the town.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Is there any way to fix the AI? It feels like the enemy just walks back and forth on 2 squares and seldom try to shoot me or rush or anything.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Tin Tim posted:

This is discussed often in the Pit. But as there is nobody who will/can work with the AI, the general solution is to play without NCTH. The new hit mechanics screw with the AI decisions. Or revert to a build much older than 4870.

I've only really played with 1.13. Should I try a vanilla run? Can I play 1.13 with old chance to hit?

What way is most fun?

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 18, 2013

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Thanks for the above posts :D

I just took Chitzena and found a little man with an icecream van.

What town is nice taking now? Or doesn't it really matter? I don't wanna accidentally take the lst town or something.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

SpookyLizard posted:

gently caress that, just play 1.13 with stable, regular old 1.13 (4870). Maybe futz with the XML to give your IMP mercy better gear or your mercs of choice better gear.

In 1.13 my I.M.P always started with a smg. because of his high marksmanship.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Is there any way to edit npcs without restarting my game? I want Hamous to have more wisdom, since my goal kinda is to have bad mercs and train them a lot.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

SpookyLizard posted:

Yeah. Its incredibly overwhelming to someone coming in from a vacuum, and o ly slightly less so for a person familiar with games. Unless theyre familiar with old games, in which case theyre probably familiar with the concept of RTFM, which is very true for JA2. Once you get the basics of the game mechanics/interface down its mostly about shooting dudes very carefully, and baring some AI bullshit, can be very easy when correct tactics are applied.

Really, I played the Jagged Alliance demo when I was like 10-11 or something, hadn't touched xcom or other games like this and still found it pretty easy to start with 1.13 instantly. The OP in this thread and some posts here was all I needed. I tried BiA, but really it feels really boring and bland compared to 1.13. Sure there is a lot of weapons and different holsters and stuff, but it's not that hard to just try whatever weapons you want to and really you don't need to min-max it. Also if you make more than one personalized Merc it can be really easy.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Waroduce posted:

Well I guess ill install 2.w 1.13 this weekend. can you patch it if you get it through steam/gog?

I bought mine through GoG, so that works at least.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Waroduce posted:

Im just worried I'm going to feel like im fighting the UI more than enemies, but if its that much better than BiA ill def give it a shot. I gotta say the no create your own merc in BiA loving blows.

I think the UI has aged pretty well. Sure it's like 15 years old, but it's not horrible like the old xcoms or stuff like that. Sure, there are some quirks, but you will get used to it.

Edit: Also 1.13 adds a lot of nice ease of use stuff, like having a hotkey for swapping everyones sunglasses and nvg, so you can have the glasses/nvg on the helmet and just press a button to swap them.

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 18, 2014

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Ah gently caress you guys, you're gonna make my install this again.

Any updates to 1.13 in something like the last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Also I think he can sometimes steal your stuff if you're unlucky. It should be in the crate in the northern part of the airfield, inside a hangar I think. I think I remember that you sometimes have to close and reopen the crate for stuff to show up.