Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

teethgrinder posted:

Geez, the Lightroom 4 download is three times the size of Lightroom 3's. (718mb versus like around 240 mb iirc)

drat thing's also extremely slow. Move a slider in LR3, see changes in real time. Move a slider in LR4, wait a few seconds for it to respond, and then more time for the changes to show up in your photo.

Maybe it's because I just installed it and it's caching or building a library in the background or something, but it's really unacceptably slow in 2012 mode.

Edit: Hrm, seems to be fine now. Must have been doing something really big in the background the first time i ran it, now it's just about as fast as LR3 was, maybe a little slower but nothing I can quantify.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mathturbator posted:

How does Lightroom 4 perform on slower computers? (2010 Core2 Duo iMac)

I've read conflicting reports, so can anyone comment after a few days' use?

I posted a bit above. Right after I installed it, it was unacceptably slow, with slider changes not showing up until probably one or two seconds after I stopped moving the slider. But the next day and since then, it's been fine, maybe *slightly* slower than LR3 but nothing I could really put a number too.

Something odd just happened, though, and I've never seen it before. Here's a shot I took the other evening, pretty much directly out of the camera (I shoot in RAW, so this is just a JPEG conversion in LR with no sharpening or any other adjustments. And yeah, I need to clean my lens):

Here's it, post-processed, you can click through for original size:

DSC_6699 by Phanatic, on Flickr

Where the hell did that blotchiness in the sky come from? If I crank the luminance in the sky down, it becomes more and more apparent. What did I do to make that happen?

Edit: It's definitely not a JPEG quality issue, since that's set to 100.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 14, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Odd Lightroom question, I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 and a piece of behavior changed that I want to bring back.

In 4.0, if I was looking at the grid view of my library, I could click on a photo in the grid, and then click on 'Develop' or hit 'D', and it would switch me into Develop mode for that photo. Or if I had entered Loupe Mode from the grid, it'd do the same thing: switched me into develop mode to develop that photo I was looking at.

In 4.1, clicking on 'Develop' or hitting 'D' brings me into the develop mode, but *not* with the photo I have selected in the Grid, it brings me into develop mode with the photo I last selected in the filmstrip at the bottom of the screen. And if I'm looking at a photo in Loupe mode, switching to develop mode doesn't let me develop that photo, it switches the photo I'm looking at to the photo selected in the filmstrip, so now I have to hunt through the filmstrip again to find the photo I wanted to develop in the first place.

How do I get the old behavior back? If I'm looking at a photo in the Loupe, or have a photo selected in the Grid, when I switch to the develop module I want it to show me *that photo*, not the photo I'd previously edited.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Sovi3t posted:

Any luck here? This would kill my workflow...

I still have no idea what happened, but it seems to have fixed itself. I didn't change any settings or do anything, but the next time I went into LR to edit stuff, it worked as per usual.:iiam:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If future iterations of the Nik suite are worse, it won't diminish the quality of current versions, and even if current versions will one day be incompatible with newer versions of photo editing software, they'll always work with CS4 and 5 and 6, which will remain awesome no matter how many bells and whistles newer versions get.

Except when new cameras come out with new RAW formats and you need to upgrade to CS12 for it to be able to read them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Goddamit.

Went up into a tall building to take pictures of some other tall buildings, but the observation deck isn't open, it's all glassed-in. And even sticking my lens directly up against that glass, I got this kind of thing:

Other than resizing that's right out of the camera. Can anything be done about that flaring?

I took some shots at higher exposure to do exposure-blending with, and in those it's even more apparent and turns bright purple, no idea why I didn't see it in the viewfinder.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Are there any good books/guides/forums about the Nik tools? I picked up the discounted package and while most of the stuff is fairly straightforward, the Sharpener module has me confused and there's not much help on their website; the FAQ basically says "What's shown on your monitor isn't what things will look like when printed, move sliders around until you like what you see."

What's Adaptive Sharpening? How's that different from Creative Sharpening? Should I be using one or the other or both? And so forth.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

bisticles posted:

edit: Here's the pdf of the Sharpener manual:
http://download2.niksoftware.com/downloads/pdf/usa_guides/Sharpener_Pro_3.0_User_Guide.pdf

I think Adaptive Sparpening is what you use for the entire image, and Creative Sharpening is what you use selectively to draw out the detail in specific areas. Honestly, I don't use Sharpener all that much.

Thanks for the link to the manual. The videos looked promising to me too until I clicked on the first one I saw that looked good and it told me "Video does not exist."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

At home I have a computer. It has Lightroom on it. I import stuff to it and edit it.

I'm on extended work travel. I have a laptop. It has Lightroom on it. I've imported stuff to it and edited it.

When I get back home, how can I merge the stuff I'm imported and edited on the laptop into my existing catalog on my desktop? I can obviously just import the raw files off the SD cards again, but if I do that I'm losing the edits I've made in the meantime.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

What's your favorite method for removing date stamps from photos? Including ones that are in front of complicated backgrounds, as opposed to just a lawn or a patch of sky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Is there a good source for lens profiles for LR that aren't included natively?

• Locked thread