Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

bobz0r posted:

I bought a lens off amazon and received a $100 credit against Lightroom 3, making it only $79. Should I buy it? (Tell me to buy it.)

Yes

It's a fantastic editor that has a pretty easy learning curve compared to Photoshop. I rarely pop my photos into PS anymore after getting Lightroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Graniteman posted:

I'm an amateur photographer and I own Lightroom. I want to be able to do some simple editing to composite multiple exposures. For example if I have bracketing exposures to get the sky and ground and I want to merge them for the effect that you might get physically with a graduated ND filter.

I don't want to spend the money on photoshop, which seems like overkill for my needs. Can anyone recommend some windows software that will let me do that kind of blending?

The LR Enfuse plugin does a decent job in Lightroom. They only expect a small donation to buy the plugin.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
There have been a lot of sales lately on Lightroom if you're a student or teacher. Keep your eyes out for a sale. In my opinion anything under $80 or so is a pretty killer deal for a great piece of software.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

dexter6 posted:

So I've got the free trials of Lightroom and Photoshop installed. What would help me get started is:

1. Knowing what a typical "flow is"ie. "What are the basics that I should be able to in Lightroom and Photoshop"
2. What are the best video tutorials for walking me through some of these things?

Thanks again for the help!

Yeah the tutorials on the Adobe website are pretty great. They really helped me learn some new tips and tricks.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Instrumedley posted:

Any clues on how to achieve this rich film-like look?

So far I've found that creating a solid color fill layer set to exclusion will make photos look washed out like the ones above. Is the rest just good color balancing and curve adjustments?

Highlights down, shadows up and split toning. Fairly easily done in Lightroom.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

tijag posted:

Where do I start learning how to use Lightroom and or PS? Beyond just moving sliders this way or that way, I don't know what I'm doing. Also, everything in lightroom looks brighter, then when I export to jpg, it is quite a bit darker. Why is it doing that?

I just bought this book.

Anything else that will help me gain some confidence with editing photos?

Go onto the Adobe website and go through some of their tutorials. A lot of the tutorials by Juliane Kost are fantastic. That's how I got going, and then it's just playing with things from there.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

William T. Hornaday posted:

Is there an update to Camera Raw corresponding to the changes in Lightroom 4? Because right now, an image opened as a smart object in Photoshop looks noticeably different than the original in Lightroom.

Looks like this is one of the questions in their FAQ. From what I've read you need to update to Photoshop Camera RAW 6.7 to ensure compatibility.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/faq.edu.html

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
How is LR4 working out for everyone? It seemed when it was first released people were having a few issues with it. I'm thinking about picking it up, but wanted to see if I should wait for the first update before switching from LR3.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Thoogsby posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get close to this look? Sorry I don't have a bigger version.

To me it looks underexposed and a bit of work done to the curves. Something like highlights dropped down and the shadows pumped up. Maybe even a bit of split toning thrown in for good measure.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

big cheese posted:

What would be the easiest way to move pretty much all of my photos from my internal HD to an external? I'm using Lightroom. I remember last time I moved a whole bunch I had to tell Lightroom where to look for the photos in their new location for each folder individually. It was a bit of a pain.

You can export your library from within Lightroom.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

CarrotFlowers posted:

I have what I assume is the same setup and lr4 actually runs better than lr3 did on my old computer. I was nervous to upgrade after everyone mentioned these issues and I'm happy to say I haven't had a single issue with lr4.

I thought I was going to have issues as well, but mine runs buttery smooth and I've only got an i5 with 8gb of ram and an SSD.

Aeka have you upgraded to 4.1 yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

EL BROMANCE posted:

In other news: Nik Collection has become a free product

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

This is fantastic. Apparently dragging my feet for years on the cost has finally paid off.

• Locked thread