Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«258 »
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

I need some recommendations for modern soul/funk bands, in particular ones that build a lot on the soul/funk of the 60's and 70's. Bands similar to the Poets of Rhythm would be excellent, and would be even better if the music was available on vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrSargent posted:

I need some recommendations for modern soul/funk bands, in particular ones that build a lot on the soul/funk of the 60's and 70's. Bands similar to the Poets of Rhythm would be excellent, and would be even better if the music was available on vinyl.

Try a Minnesota band called Black Diet, and a Canadian band called Five Alarm Funk.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

sharon jones & the dap kings

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings is exactly what I was looking for. Any other similar groups I should keep an eye out for? Five Alarm Funk had some cool stuff, and I enjoyed Black Diet, it's just a little more indie than I am looking for.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment,
I wouldn't have any appointment.

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings is exactly what I was looking for. Any other similar groups I should keep an eye out for? Five Alarm Funk had some cool stuff, and I enjoyed Black Diet, it's just a little more indie than I am looking for.

You should also check out Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears

edit: Here's a few other funk and soul songs you might like.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at Jun 13, 2018 around 23:27

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 8, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I need some recommendations on bands. I want to get more into Progressive metal\Progressive Rock.

I prefer mixed vocals but I can deal either way.

Pretty late to this post, but I thought I’d recommend Animals as Leaders if you haven’t already heard of them. No vocals, just excellent prog metal, very high technical skill, Tosin Abasi has quickly become one of my favorite all-time guitarists and Matt Garstka is a drum legend.

Magpie13
Jun 30, 2004

I grew up ignorant of Metal. I am now addicted to King Diamond "Them", "Abigail" and "The Eye". Any other good 'rock opera' style, melodic metal out there?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Magpie13 posted:

I grew up ignorant of Metal. I am now addicted to King Diamond "Them", "Abigail" and "The Eye". Any other good 'rock opera' style, melodic metal out there?

Nobody does it quite like the King, but lots of power metal uses that kind of format at least. Avantasia has a whole “metal opera” project with a million guest vocalists. Blind Guardian’s “Nightfall in Middle-Earth” is about the Silmarillion and kicks insane amounts of rear end. Queensryche is more like a progged out version of 80s hard rock and heavy metal but Operation: Mindcrime is a good one. Savatage did a rock opera but they have better albums than that. Dream Theater’s “Scenes From a Memory” is good.

Also be sure to check out King Diamond’s original band Mercyful Fate. They’re insanely good.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

The Budos Band!

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

MrSargent posted:

If you're into comedic albums, Here Come the Mummies is loving great.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Flaggy posted:

The Budos Band!

Thanks! I realized that I should probably just check out everyone on the Daptone label. Looking forward to checking more out.

Beelerzebub posted:

If you're into comedic albums, Here Come the Mummies is loving great.

I am mostly looking for stuff to sample so I will definitely check this out, thanks a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

Fancy.

MrSargent posted:

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings have been mentioned, as has Black Joe Lewis.

In addition:

Charles Bradley (RIP), Sonny Knight & the Lakers, Eli "Paperboy" Reed, the Alabama Shakes, the Excitements, J.C. Brooks and the Uptown Sound, Curtis Harding, Leon Bridges, Lady Wray, Nick Waterhouse, Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night-Sweats, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, Vintage Trouble.

Now that's a lot of stuff. There's more, but that's a lot.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Now waffles taste good for breakfast but they're not so good to eat in the third period of a hockey game

Looking for more stuff like Townes Van Zandt. Hopefully more on the folk side than the country side, but I'm open. Looking for just acoustic guitar and a person, less someone with a full band (though if it really fits, throw it at me and I'll check it out even with a band)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment,
I wouldn't have any appointment.

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for more stuff like Townes Van Zandt. Hopefully more on the folk side than the country side, but I'm open. Looking for just acoustic guitar and a person, less someone with a full band (though if it really fits, throw it at me and I'll check it out even with a band)

John Prine's first two albums
Connie Converse "How Sad, How Lovely"
Hooray For the Riff Raff "My Darkest Dearest Neighbor"
Vashti Bunyon "Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind"
Kris Kristofferson seems an obvious choice

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 18:37

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Bill Callahan
Blaze Foley
Roy Harper
Nick Drake
Tim Buckley
Bert Jansch
Bill Fay
Alasdair Roberts
Jackson C. Frank

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Steve Earle. A collaborator and friend of Townes, loved Townes so much his son's name is Justin Townes Earle (who also makes good music). He also did an album of Van Zandt covers called Townes.

Oh, and Kurt Vile, too.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2018 around 02:00

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

Looking for stuff like she, particularly Electric Girl, or modern synthwave like Scandroid but with female vocals. Something like Hollywood Principle (Firework in particular might be one of my favorite electronic songs) works as well.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Looking for music for panic attacks. Something instrumental, minimal, soothing, to help when my mind is racing a mile a minute and I'm stuck in fight or flight mode for no reason.

The best thing I've found so far is Music for Airports, but not all ambient stuff works. Soothing Sounds for Baby (ironically) makes it way worse from the repetitive high notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Goon Danton posted:

Looking for music for panic attacks. Something instrumental, minimal, soothing, to help when my mind is racing a mile a minute and I'm stuck in fight or flight mode for no reason.

The best thing I've found so far is Music for Airports, but not all ambient stuff works. Soothing Sounds for Baby (ironically) makes it way worse from the repetitive high notes.

Windy & Carl, Stars of the Lid, Darla Records' Bliss Out series (i like the American Analog Set one a lot)

«258 »