Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lightning!

I'm suprised no one unironcially reccommended Anvil to cheeseball metal guy at the top of the last page. The quick lowdown is the first four albums are great, with Metal on Metal being their top one, and then they get really up and down after that.

excellent bird guy posted:

Where is the Surf thread? Name me some Surf bands that are great besides MOAM. My favorite guitar tone is teh surf so I need some inspirationing.

I am bad at sub genres but the first band I though of was The Ventures. May just be 60s pop though I remember listening to their album Run, Don't Walk and thinking it was too much surf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER

Is Dick Dale too obvious an option? He essentially invented surf rock. Even if you don't know him you know Miserlou (aka the Pulp Fiction theme)

Parachute
May 18, 2003

the ghastly ones are pretty good surf rock

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lightning!

Now I have need of the assistance of the goon hivemind: what are some good moog and early synthesizer albums? Things I have are:

Plantasia and have already preordered half of the new Mort Garson material coming out,

The recent RSD moog cover album by Denny Martin,

A random Dick Hyman album that kinda sucked actually,

The BBC Radiophonic Workshop Music album which has one of my favorite songs: Zwih Zwih OO-OO-OO,

And I've heard of a classical moog album (with lot of hand drawn wires on the cover ) and seen ones on Ebay that are covers of 60s/70s rock songs and Christmas music as well as one called Happy Moog. Is there anything left flying under the radar?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER

Switched On Bach was quite popular in its day

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Turbinosamente posted:

Now I have need of the assistance of the goon hivemind: what are some good moog and early synthesizer albums? Things I have are:

OHM; it's a great compilation and can certainly lead you down a few different paths. if you want more noise-oriented stuff, there's an ambient/drone/noise thread full of crazy knowledgeable folks.

if the Dick Hyman record you have isn't Moog: The Electric Eclectics, check that one out, and definitely also look into Silver Apples.

V came home to flip through my vinyl and would add that one, plus i really like Morton Subotnick and stuff like Steven Halpern's Spectrum Suite if you want more new age/abstract. also, even if you don't like the Switched On-type stuff, Walter Carlos made a lot of other great music

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 15, 2020

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

Isao Tomita's Snowflakes Are Dancing

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lightning!

funkybottoms posted:

OHM; it's a great compilation and can certainly lead you down a few different paths. if you want more noise-oriented stuff, there's an ambient/drone/noise thread full of crazy knowledgeable folks.

if the Dick Hyman record you have isn't Moog: The Electric Eclectics, check that one out, and definitely also look into Silver Apples.

V came home to flip through my vinyl and would add that one, plus i really like Morton Subotnick and stuff like Steven Halpern's Spectrum Suite if you want more new age/abstract. also, even if you don't like the Switched On-type stuff, Walter Carlos made a lot of other great music

The Dick Hyman record I have is indeed Electric Eclectics, but I'll give him another shot. Kinda hoping to stay away from noise/abstract as my main gripe with EE is that it sounds like a Moog demo loop. OHM's not the best for me so far but it has reminded me of internet favorite Raymond Scott. I'll have to do a deeper dive into the composers on it.

Llamadeus posted:

Isao Tomita's Snowflakes Are Dancing

I am a dumb and forgot I had an obligatory copy of Planets.

regulargonzalez posted:

Switched On Bach was quite popular in its day

And that's another vote for Switched on Bach. Looks like I have my work cut out for me but these suggestions do help point me in the right direction, thanks all.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tits and cooters, Mr Bond.

This compilation from Light In The Attic is a great look at minimal synth stuff from Japan: https://lightintheattic.net/release...music-1980-1990

Itís not early, but for the minimal synth sound, my absolute favorite is Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts, which is a compilation of some of his early records

https://youtu.be/zZ0NqyQK-kM

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican

If you're into synthy and dancey stuff, check out Cobra Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5i6fHlvtL0

They just released this video for their new album coming out soon. Definitely one of my favorite up and coming LA bands.

Liquid Banjo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 16, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm getting into performing improvisational live looping with my synths. Anyone have any recommendations for a solo act that is heavy on this that I could look to for inspiration? Genre's not super important as long as it's mostly electronic.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Liquid Banjo posted:

If you're into synthy and dancey stuff, check out Cobra Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5i6fHlvtL0

They just released this video for their new album coming out soon. Definitely one of my favorite up and coming LA bands.

I dig this a lot, thanks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

excellent bird guy posted:

Where is the Surf thread? Name me some Surf bands that are great besides MOAM. My favorite guitar tone is teh surf so I need some inspirationing.

The Ventures
Dick Dale
The Shadows
The Trashmen
The Centurions
The Lively Ones
The Revels
The Tornados
The Chantays

There was like a billion surf bands in the 60s. Youtube is full of compilations of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My pal's band released an album today. Not sure what the genre is, but its looped instruments that are complicated yet very pleasing. They put one of their new tracks on youtube: is good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9...WU9iTntb9Xb8mnw