Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm suprised no one unironcially reccommended Anvil to cheeseball metal guy at the top of the last page. The quick lowdown is the first four albums are great, with Metal on Metal being their top one, and then they get really up and down after that.

excellent bird guy posted:

Where is the Surf thread? Name me some Surf bands that are great besides MOAM. My favorite guitar tone is teh surf so I need some inspirationing.

I am bad at sub genres but the first band I though of was The Ventures. May just be 60s pop though I remember listening to their album Run, Don't Walk and thinking it was too much surf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is Dick Dale too obvious an option? He essentially invented surf rock. Even if you don't know him you know Miserlou (aka the Pulp Fiction theme)

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the ghastly ones are pretty good surf rock

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Now I have need of the assistance of the goon hivemind: what are some good moog and early synthesizer albums? Things I have are:

Plantasia and have already preordered half of the new Mort Garson material coming out,

The recent RSD moog cover album by Denny Martin,

A random Dick Hyman album that kinda sucked actually,

The BBC Radiophonic Workshop Music album which has one of my favorite songs: Zwih Zwih OO-OO-OO,

And I've heard of a classical moog album (with lot of hand drawn wires on the cover ) and seen ones on Ebay that are covers of 60s/70s rock songs and Christmas music as well as one called Happy Moog. Is there anything left flying under the radar?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Switched On Bach was quite popular in its day

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Turbinosamente posted:

Now I have need of the assistance of the goon hivemind: what are some good moog and early synthesizer albums? Things I have are:

OHM; it's a great compilation and can certainly lead you down a few different paths. if you want more noise-oriented stuff, there's an ambient/drone/noise thread full of crazy knowledgeable folks.

if the Dick Hyman record you have isn't Moog: The Electric Eclectics, check that one out, and definitely also look into Silver Apples.

V came home to flip through my vinyl and would add that one, plus i really like Morton Subotnick and stuff like Steven Halpern's Spectrum Suite if you want more new age/abstract. also, even if you don't like the Switched On-type stuff, Walter Carlos made a lot of other great music

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 15, 2020

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

Isao Tomita's Snowflakes Are Dancing

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

funkybottoms posted:

OHM; it's a great compilation and can certainly lead you down a few different paths. if you want more noise-oriented stuff, there's an ambient/drone/noise thread full of crazy knowledgeable folks.

if the Dick Hyman record you have isn't Moog: The Electric Eclectics, check that one out, and definitely also look into Silver Apples.

V came home to flip through my vinyl and would add that one, plus i really like Morton Subotnick and stuff like Steven Halpern's Spectrum Suite if you want more new age/abstract. also, even if you don't like the Switched On-type stuff, Walter Carlos made a lot of other great music

The Dick Hyman record I have is indeed Electric Eclectics, but I'll give him another shot. Kinda hoping to stay away from noise/abstract as my main gripe with EE is that it sounds like a Moog demo loop. OHM's not the best for me so far but it has reminded me of internet favorite Raymond Scott. I'll have to do a deeper dive into the composers on it.

Llamadeus posted:

Isao Tomita's Snowflakes Are Dancing

I am a dumb and forgot I had an obligatory copy of Planets.

regulargonzalez posted:

Switched On Bach was quite popular in its day

And that's another vote for Switched on Bach. Looks like I have my work cut out for me but these suggestions do help point me in the right direction, thanks all.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
This compilation from Light In The Attic is a great look at minimal synth stuff from Japan: https://lightintheattic.net/releases/4088-kankyo-ongaku-japanese-ambient-environmental-new-age-music-1980-1990

It’s not early, but for the minimal synth sound, my absolute favorite is Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts, which is a compilation of some of his early records

https://youtu.be/zZ0NqyQK-kM

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican
If you're into synthy and dancey stuff, check out Cobra Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5i6fHlvtL0

They just released this video for their new album coming out soon. Definitely one of my favorite up and coming LA bands.

Liquid Banjo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 16, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm getting into performing improvisational live looping with my synths. Anyone have any recommendations for a solo act that is heavy on this that I could look to for inspiration? Genre's not super important as long as it's mostly electronic.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Liquid Banjo posted:

If you're into synthy and dancey stuff, check out Cobra Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5i6fHlvtL0

They just released this video for their new album coming out soon. Definitely one of my favorite up and coming LA bands.

I dig this a lot, thanks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

excellent bird guy posted:

Where is the Surf thread? Name me some Surf bands that are great besides MOAM. My favorite guitar tone is teh surf so I need some inspirationing.

The Ventures
Dick Dale
The Shadows
The Trashmen
The Centurions
The Lively Ones
The Revels
The Tornados
The Chantays

There was like a billion surf bands in the 60s. Youtube is full of compilations of them.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

[removed]

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 22, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Count Roland posted:

My pal's band released an album today. Not sure what the genre is, but its looped instruments that are complicated yet very pleasing. They put one of their new tracks on youtube: is good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9s5gDqaWU9iTntb9Xb8mnw

Not what this thread is for!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently obsessed with I Got The... by Labi Siffre, especially the 2nd section jam and 3rd section. The rest of the album, while good, isn't really like this song.

Can I get more songs/albums that have this awesome vibe? If it helps, I found it on a spotify radio station for Les Fleurs by Minnie Riperton.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Post rock post

So there's stuff like Godspeed, which is kind of... doomy?

And then there's Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Sigur Ros, maybe Mogwai, who have a sound/mood that is more... melancholic but kinda in a beautiful or hopeful way?

Anyone i should check out who is more in the latter camp? (As much as I love Godpseed)

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

alnilam posted:

Post rock post

And then there's Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Sigur Ros, maybe Mogwai, who have a sound/mood that is more... melancholic but kinda in a beautiful or hopeful way?

Anyone i should check out who is more in the latter camp? (As much as I love Godpseed)

Definitely Talk Talk's last two albums, Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden.

edit: Also Yndi Halda (Enjoy Eternal Bliss) for a more modern pick.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 25, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

alnilam posted:

Post rock post

Do Make Say Think

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

internet celebrity posted:

edit: Also Yndi Halda (Enjoy Eternal Bliss) for a more modern pick.

lol, that album's 15 years old :corsair:

back when i listened to post rock a lot i enjoyed that one a ton, along with samuel jackson 5's first two albums and beast, please be still's only album

alnilam, you could also read through a hundred pages of the post rock thread

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Hooplah posted:

lol, that album's 15 years old :corsair:

I guess I meant relative to Talk Talk's post-rock albums being 29 and 32 years old.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hooplah posted:

alnilam, you could also read through a hundred pages of the post rock thread

:eyepop:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm looking for heavy, mid- or slow-tempo stuff.

Apple Music and Spotify seem to think by my library/likes that I want metal of the sort that has scary album covers and speed metal breaks, which I don't.

Some stuff in this vein I like (to go by):

Whores
Kyuss
TAD
Melvins
Helmet

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yob
Ursa
Sleep, though you probably already know them
Shadowmaster
Monolord
SubRosa
Acid Bath
Chrch
Uniform
King Woman

If you're cool with really harsh vocals (some of the ones above have them too, but necessarily as the majority of the vocals, also some of them might have too much black metal influence for your tempo needs, though overall they tend to be pretty slow and definitely very heavy):
Thou
Ilsa
Primitive Man
Vile Creature
Sea of Bones
Graves at Sea
Body Void
Sumac
Usnea
Inter Arma
Mizmor

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Detective Thompson posted:

Yob
Ursa
Sleep, though you probably already know them
Shadowmaster
Monolord
SubRosa
Acid Bath
Chrch
Uniform
King Woman

If you're cool with really harsh vocals (some of the ones above have them too, but necessarily as the majority of the vocals, also some of them might have too much black metal influence for your tempo needs, though overall they tend to be pretty slow and definitely very heavy):
Thou
Ilsa
Primitive Man
Vile Creature
Sea of Bones
Graves at Sea
Body Void
Sumac
Usnea
Inter Arma
Mizmor

Thanks! Loving Sub Rosa so far. Sumac is a band that was recommended to me but the ultra low roaring vocals thing that a lot of these bands have turned me off

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Keith Atherton posted:

Thanks! Loving Sub Rosa so far. Sumac is a band that was recommended to me but the ultra low roaring vocals thing that a lot of these bands have turned me off

Dip into the stoner/sludge/doom thread in nmd, there’s always good poo poo being recommended there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Solstafir
Candlemass

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Keith Atherton posted:

Apple Music and Spotify seem to think by my library/likes that I want metal of the sort that has scary album covers and speed metal breaks, which I don't.

Whores
Kyuss
TAD
Melvins
Helmet

Reverend Bizarre.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Keith Atherton posted:

Whores
Kyuss
TAD
Melvins
Helmet

nobody mentioned harvey milk. harvey milk.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
There's also Brothers of the Sonic Cloth, which is Tad's current project.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
I really like old school Hip Hop, but generally stuff that could be labelled "Alternative Hip Hop" Artists like Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, The Roots, Pharcyde, Mos Def

I especially love Tribe because its usually kind of fun stuff like "Left my wallet in El Segundo" There just doesnt seem to be much new stuff that has this fun party kind of vibe to it but I am probably not looking in the right places.

Any suggestions for newer artists similar to this? I really like Lou Phelps who i came across by accident, but i think he is a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61SXFBDL2nc

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Camping.. Intense! posted:

I really like old school Hip Hop, but generally stuff that could be labelled "Alternative Hip Hop" Artists like Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, The Roots, Pharcyde, Mos Def

I especially love Tribe because its usually kind of fun stuff like "Left my wallet in El Segundo" There just doesnt seem to be much new stuff that has this fun party kind of vibe to it but I am probably not looking in the right places.

Any suggestions for newer artists similar to this? I really like Lou Phelps who i came across by accident, but i think he is a good example:

Lupe Fiasco
Open Mike Eagle
Quelle Chris

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Tierra Whack

Olavi
Aug 8, 2013
I'm looking for melancholic music from different genres. The tones can be quite hopeless, but if there's a small hint of hope even better. I don't want to give too much examples but prefebably not the big bands like The Cure I would like to avoid.

Sorry, if this is really ambiguous request..

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Olavi posted:

I'm looking for melancholic music from different genres. The tones can be quite hopeless, but if there's a small hint of hope even better. I don't want to give too much examples but prefebably not the big bands like The Cure I would like to avoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmSPPYG9dp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35g_xywJqDs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Olavi posted:

Head on over to the goth thread and listen to what's been posted there.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Olavi posted:

bonnie prince billie/will oldham/palace music is pretty downbeat and “i see a darkness” sounds like exactly what you’re looking for

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Olavi posted:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - f# a# infinity is a good fit and it's amazing, definitely in my all time top 10 albums.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm looking for something with a real wide open spaces deserty sound, not too heavy and not quite all the way on the Ennio Morricone spaghetti western score end of things.

I really like Friends of Dean Martinez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah4n5W37QK0

and I'm pretty well tapped into desert rock, with Yawning Man being my favorite in that genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Weip92Bno

But right now I want something not as fuzzy as desert rock, few vocals if any, and evocative of dust, far off horizons, perpetual stillness, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm looking for something with a real wide open spaces deserty sound, not too heavy and not quite all the way on the Ennio Morricone spaghetti western score end of things.

I really like Friends of Dean Martinez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah4n5W37QK0

and I'm pretty well tapped into desert rock, with Yawning Man being my favorite in that genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Weip92Bno

But right now I want something not as fuzzy as desert rock, few vocals if any, and evocative of dust, far off horizons, perpetual stillness, etc.

Earth and Dylan Carsons solo stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suVxSq0YCOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxlaxXy7PbI

SUSS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnM8a454t9I