Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I actually hadn't but that's just what I was after, thanks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

I'm looking for bands that primarily do covers in an unusual style like The Baseballs (but it can be any genre) but not to the point of parody. Recommendaions of things like Pop goes Punk would be good too.

Iron Horse does awesome bluegrass tribute albums.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Bluegrass isn't a genre I'd normally even consider but I just checked out "Black and Bluegrass" Bluegrass + Black Sabbath/Ozzy shouldn't work but it's brilliant. Thanks.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I really love Kaskade's the Grand, but beyond that, I'm some what of a house baby. Can anyone give me some progressive/deep house recommendations (or any house in general tbh)?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Iraff posted:

(or any house in general tbh)?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Worlds-Greatest-Electro-House/dp/B0019A3J58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1271813068&sr=8-1

$3 for 3 hours. Greatest deal I've ever partaken in.

Some youtube samplings from the collection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMH3pV0SHCg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFHN0mGQ1jg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EG9yER-LGk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egZxd6KYSR8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUiLwN_w0SI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9FwCP6mQDw&feature=PlayList&p=1E4F1C8C04ED9E51&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=2

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 21, 2010

TB-303 Player
Dec 3, 2008

BOOTS and PANTS and
BOOTS and PANTS and

Xarthor posted:

I'm a big fan of female country/folk singers like Lucinda Willaims and Gillian Welch

If I wanted to go back farther to "classic" female country stars (i.e. Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, etc) who should I look for? Specific album suggestions would be helpful as well.

As for Patsy, she was a primarily singles driven artist, so any given Greatest Hits compilation is going to have more or less what you're looking for.

Dolly was initially the duet partner of Porter Wagoner, so most of her early career is gonna be covered as part of his, "Just The Two Of Us" is a great album to get in that vein, but it should be noted that she was always a part of the Nashville hit machine, so her work is gonna lack the "grit" (for lack of a better word) that Lucinda Williams and Gillian Welch have. Less dirt, more rhinestones.

Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn and Emmylou Harris (including her early work with Gram Parsons on his solo albums) are all fantastic artists to start with whose careers made Lucinda & Gillian's possible.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Iraff posted:

I really love Kaskade's the Grand, but beyond that, I'm some what of a house baby. Can anyone give me some progressive/deep house recommendations (or any house in general tbh)?

check out Miguel Migs (also w/ band Petalpusher), Mark Farina, Deep Dish, Pepe Bradock, The Timewriter and Frankie Knuckles. p much everything off Om records is good also.
if you want stuff that's a bit more Ibiza ish like Kaskade tho check out Axwell, Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso and David Morales
for progressive house try Paolo Mojo, Sander Kleinenberg, Desyn Masiello and Henrik Schwartz

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 21, 2010

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

I'm looking for bands that primarily do covers in an unusual style like The Baseballs (but it can be any genre) but not to the point of parody. Recommendaions of things like Pop goes Punk would be good too.

A pop/punk band called A Loss For Words are doing a CD with covers of old Motown songs that should be out soon - you can check out their cover of "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5 here: http://soundcloud.com/altpress-1/a-loss-for-words-feat-four-year-strong-i-want-you-back-altpress-exclusive

QingLaiXiguaba
Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking for good Chinese bands. For those of you who haven't studied Mandarin or Chinese culture, their music scene is virtually devoid of anything resembling "good". It's an ocean of terrible, trite pop and even worse rap. They have an odd definition of "rock", with the leading man being Xie Tian Xiao and Cold Blooded Animal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_qJK5UqmHA

That's a pretty good example. Alot of his stuff also features classical Chinese instruments, though for some unknown reason he decided to make his last album a Reggae album.

One really great band I've found is P.K. 14, a post-punk group from Shanghai.

This is my personal favorite of theirs. The video is done like an old black and white silent film, with them as Chinese military. Very tongue in cheek.

他们 - In English:"Them"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXDKACzCX0

If anybody knows any other good bands, I'd greatly appreciate it.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

I'm looking for good Chinese bands. For those of you who haven't studied Mandarin or Chinese culture, their music scene is virtually devoid of anything resembling "good". It's an ocean of terrible, trite pop and even worse rap. They have an odd definition of "rock", with the leading man being Xie Tian Xiao and Cold Blooded Animal.

there is an entire thread on this in phiz: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3087683

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

I'm looking for artists that use a blend of rock/folk and country. I've been listening to the early stuff of Ry Cooder for awhile now and I can't get enough of it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

sh1fty posted:

I'm looking for artists that use a blend of rock/folk and country. I've been listening to the early stuff of Ry Cooder for awhile now and I can't get enough of it.

Gram Parsons, with the Flying Burrito Brothers (The Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe), The Byrds (Sweetheart of the Rodeo) and his solo albums.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

sh1fty posted:

Nashville Skyline & John Wesley Harding by Bob Dylan, Uncle Tupelo, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Band, The Devil Makes Three, Steve Earle, Leon Russell, and especially

quote:

Gram Parsons, with the Flying Burrito Brothers (The Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe), The Byrds (Sweetheart of the Rodeo) and his solo albums.

These is a pretty diverse list, you'll find something you like in it.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
I've been playing the crap out of the new Caribou album, Swim, trying to get into it. In general I like the song ideas, but I find it really hard to enjoy music a lot when it's not high-energy :/

So basically, any suggestions for peppier stuff in the vein of that album?

EDIT: If it helps, I turned the volume to max on that album and it instantly clicked with me.

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 23, 2010

Hot Dog Day #55
May 22, 2003

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I've been listening to "Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt" over and over lately. Is there anything out there similar? Real stripped down and different?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Hot Dog Day #55 posted:

I've been listening to "Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt" over and over lately. Is there anything out there similar? Real stripped down and different?

I would suggest "To Record Only Water For 10 Days". After that album, John's music has gotten a bit more reserved and slightly heavier produced. But honestly, every single album he's put out has tons of brilliant and heartmelting songs.

I don't really know about other lo-fi artists who don't play death metal or plain folk though, sorry!

Feb 29, 2008

I AM THICK
Does anyone know any stuff that has lightish instrumental music over hip-hop drum beats? I don't know if it's a specific genre, but a couple of examples are Matt Marque's songs, which I just love, and also the backing music from this random Youtube video I stumbled across recently (sorry about the added religion).

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
I could go for something like either Kenna or K'naan. Not necessarily both at the same time. If you're looking for more specific song examples, I'd say New Sacred Cow for the former and ABCs or Take A Minute for the latter.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

10987 posted:

Does anyone know any stuff that has lightish instrumental music over hip-hop drum beats? I don't know if it's a specific genre, but a couple of examples are Matt Marque's songs, which I just love, and also the backing music from this random Youtube video I stumbled across recently (sorry about the added religion).

This genre is called Downtempo [Breakbeats] AKA Chillout AKA Instrumental Hip Hop AKA Future Lounge AKA the genre used on Adult Swim bumps... you also might want to check out Trip-Hop, Nu-Jazz and Ambient Breaks as they're all pretty similar. A few artists to check out are Wagon Christ, DJ Spooky, RJD2, Air, DJ Shadow, Air, Nightmares on Wax and Dabrye, along with pretty much the entire Ninja Tune roster - The Cinematic Orchestra, Jaga Jazzist, Bonobo, Funki Porcini, Skalpel and DJ Food are my favorites (along with Amon Tobin but he does a lot of high-tempo drum and bass type stuff too). I used to spin this stuff so send me a PM if you need more.

Feb 29, 2008

I AM THICK
Thanks guys, that gives me lots of stuff to try out :)

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Really looking for bands or songs with a sound like Amenra in their album Mass III (The Pain It Is Shapeless and Nemelendelle are the sort of tracks I like).

I've tried listening to a lot of bands that are supposed to be in the same genre but they don't really sound the same.

ham hock
Feb 6, 2006

"what's up vanilla face?!"
I'm a big fan of electropop/progressive house/breakbeat/downtempo stuff, and I'm looking to expand my repatoire. some of my current favorites include:

-MSTRKRFT
-Danger
-Deadmea5
-Junior Boys
-The Toxic Avengers

I know it's a pretty wide net I'm casting here but I think the common thread is loud, overpowering synth useage and a bit on the repetitive side (good for long runs or sex). If you can think of anything that follows the along these lines give me some reccomendations.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle and Einstürzende Neubaten. Where do I start?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

ham hock posted:

I'm a big fan of electropop/progressive house/breakbeat/downtempo stuff, and I'm looking to expand my repatoire. some of my current favorites include:

-MSTRKRFT
-Danger
-Deadmea5
-Junior Boys
-The Toxic Avengers

I know it's a pretty wide net I'm casting here but I think the common thread is loud, overpowering synth useage and a bit on the repetitive side (good for long runs or sex). If you can think of anything that follows the along these lines give me some reccomendations.
The House megathread is full of stuff right up your alley. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238075

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for something very New Agey, similar to Enigma, but more along the lines of the seductive, minor-key style of I Love You I'll Kill You or Gravity of Love. I don't like those happy "listening to Enya at sunrise" styles like Return to Innocence.

Similar, that I know of are Blue Stone, Delerium, Conjure One, Achillia, Jens Gad, and Sleepthief.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 28, 2010

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
As someone who is now dabbling in vinyl collecting [just for the novelty of it really] I'd like some suggestions for some good 70s rock albums, something smooth, maybe prog rock, that I can sit and space out too while I fiddle on my computer [my turntable is hooked up through my soundcard] also preferably something I can pick up used for $nottoomuch$

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

As someone who is now dabbling in vinyl collecting [just for the novelty of it really] I'd like some suggestions for some good 70s rock albums, something smooth, maybe prog rock, that I can sit and space out too while I fiddle on my computer [my turntable is hooked up through my soundcard] also preferably something I can pick up used for $nottoomuch$

Get some Yes albums. Close to the Edge, Fragile, Tales Of A Topographic Ocean.

My favorite thing to listen to on vinyl and the only reason I have my record player hooked up, is Dire Straits self titled.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

You can find Moody Blues and Mountain records in thrift stores pretty often. Really, you should just head to a thrift store and scrape up whatever makes you curious

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions.

Heh the other day I picked up some. Man one of them had a cool cover... It was petra though, not really my style. :P

The others were good though, got Pink Floyd Animals for a buck.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I've been listening to the first four Ramones albums a lot again.

1. Besides the first four and live albums, what are some other good Ramone studio albums?

2. I want some more old school/70s/"proto" punk. No Ramones or The Stooges please.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I've been listening to the first four Ramones albums a lot again.

1. Besides the first four and live albums, what are some other good Ramone studio albums?

2. I want some more old school/70s/"proto" punk. No Ramones or The Stooges please.

MC5, The Sonics, Television, The Modern Lovers, and Death (the all black punk band, not the 80's death metal band) are all pre-77 groups, though I'm sure other people will have many more suggestions.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
If I have fallen head over heels in love with the soundtrack to Sunshine, specifically "The Surface of the Sun" what recommendations could you give me? I also really love Explosions in the Sky. I guess I just love epic swelling modern instrumental pieces.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Way down Hadestown from Anais Mitchell's folk opera Hadestown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDqBzuh-DIg

this is the title track. The whole thing is fantastic though. Its the story of Orpheus and Eurydice set in post-apocalyptic Depression-era America.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
Not sure how I forgot about this thread, but it did me good last time so...

Looking for specific types of band or album recommendations in two unrelated genres.

1) Industrial rock/Industrial metal: Specifically, something like Puncture, here's some youtubes in the unlikely event anyone's heard of them.

"Gag Rule"
"Nailed to a Cross"

Baring that, I'd be looking for something along the lines of "Teknowhore"-era Bile as opposed to their slower, newer stuff. I'm looking specifically for this raspy sort of vocals with coherently dysphoric lyrics (key word is coherent, because most industrial i've found on my own has very lovely lyrics).

2) 'Trap Musik'-style gangsta rap: Rap specifically about 'trappin' (i.e. selling crack or heroin), like Young Jeezy's "J.E.E.Z.Y" or 'White Girl", etc. Screwed and Chopped versions are even better.

(yes, i have poo poo tastes, but i like what i like :shobon:)

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

dividebyzero posted:

2) 'Trap Musik'-style gangsta rap: Rap specifically about 'trappin' (i.e. selling crack or heroin), like Young Jeezy's "J.E.E.Z.Y" or 'White Girl", etc. Screwed and Chopped versions are even better.

(yes, i have poo poo tastes, but i like what i like :shobon:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-QzaI2dKDU

emminou
May 25, 2006

drainpipe posted:

I've been listening to Lady Gaga and Little Boots, and I'm looking for female electropop. Any suggestions? I especially love the thick synth sound so anything in that direction would be great.

This is practically a month ago and you've already had most of the best suggestions, but in case you're still around, you might also like Annie, Ellie Goulding, Lights, and possibly Dragonette and some Marina and the Diamonds songs?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
This is more of a "what genre is this?" kind of question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msg8ypnLqaw - Paradise Lunch's Gun's Roses[sic]

I want to say Jazz or some mutant form of big band but I'm just wanting to find more artists like this.

Last.fm's recommendations are closer to anime music and such and I'd rather find other stuff that's like this that isn't tied to anime necessarily

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 29, 2010

Ola Ugh
May 19, 2005

Sjåre brymæ
Could someone recommend me 5-6 essential dancehall albums?

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

MindSet posted:

I was wondering if there are any musicians that play bass similar to the guy in this video starting at about 1:10. I've looked into Flairs' other stuff and it generally doesn't sound much like this. In fact I'd settle for knowing what style it might fit into.

Just gonna bump this and add that I also like the bass guitar in DVNO by Justice, starting at about 3:25 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nWnLxYzuBE

Mind you I'm not looking for techno-y stuff. It's just one of the songs where I've noticed neat bass like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

The Saints. Criminally underrated punk band from Australia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLbyaNbhHdU

Oh yeah, if you can find their album, the Snivelling Shits are cool as hell too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WppxaRN8nxg

Blaisedell fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 29, 2010