Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I wanna get into Klezmer music and other Jewish folk. I'm a big fan of Black Ox Orkestar and when I was in Prague in the Jewish quarter I really enjoyed some of the street bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone have any good recommendations in the chill Trip-hop vein? Looking for some music to fall asleep to. Right now I listen to Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps, Zero 7. Looking for something new.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Robokomodo posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations in the chill Trip-hop vein? Looking for some music to fall asleep to. Right now I listen to Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps, Zero 7. Looking for something new.

Portishead

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Already on my I-pod. Forgot to mention. Sorry.

Actually any good Trip-hop. I listen to all the previous bands plus Tricky and Gorillaz while I’m at work. I’ve been on a kick for that genre for a few weeks.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Robokomodo posted:

You might like Beat by Bowery Electric

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

You might like Beat by Bowery Electric

Very cool. Maybe ambient trip-hop is what I’m looking for?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Robokomodo posted:

Very cool. Maybe ambient trip-hop is what I’m looking for?

Cut Chemist?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Robokomodo posted:

All India Radio, especially Fall if you like vocals, the rest is instrumental.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Robokomodo posted:

Alpha, Bonobo, Morcheeba, The Dining Rooms, Alif Tree, early Emiliana Torrini

blockchain prenup
Mar 8, 2018
Hey, I'm looking for a few different things, hoping someone can point me in a good direction

Looking for something sad in the vein of The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2.

I've had Mount Eerie and La Dispute both recommended to me, but I'm not sure what albums I should start with for these bands, any fans able to point me toward a starting point?

Lastly, a long shot, is there anything similar to this (screamo/skramz? emoviolence?) track? I haven't been able to find anything that even comes close to the back half (skip to 2:50 if you want) - Cold Like December - Excerpts From the Note Wrapped Around the Brick I Put Through Your Window:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foMnfwpeoag

Robokomodo posted:

Maybe a little more prog rock than trip hop, but check out Archive - You All Look the Same to Me or at least the first track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuW28OHGHbk

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

blockchain prenup posted:

Hey, I'm looking for a few different things, hoping someone can point me in a good direction

Looking for something sad in the vein of The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2.

I've had Mount Eerie and La Dispute both recommended to me, but I'm not sure what albums I should start with for these bands, any fans able to point me toward a starting point?

Lastly, a long shot, is there anything similar to this (screamo/skramz? emoviolence?) track? I haven't been able to find anything that even comes close to the back half (skip to 2:50 if you want) - Cold Like December - Excerpts From the Note Wrapped Around the Brick I Put Through Your Window:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foMnfwpeoag

Maybe a little more prog rock than trip hop, but check out Archive - You All Look the Same to Me or at least the first track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuW28OHGHbk

Mount Eerie and La Dispute are extremely different artists so I'm not sure if those are trustworthy recommendations (though Phil Elverum is behind both the Microphones and Mount Eerie), but La Dispute's best album by far is Wildlife. It's also extremely sad so I guess that fits, but it's pretty intense post-hardcore.

blockchain prenup
Mar 8, 2018

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mount Eerie and La Dispute are extremely different artists so I'm not sure if those are trustworthy recommendations (though Phil Elverum is behind both the Microphones and Mount Eerie), but La Dispute's best album by far is Wildlife. It's also extremely sad so I guess that fits, but it's pretty intense post-hardcore.

I know they're very different artists, I should have said the recommendations were in very different contexts. I'll check out Wildlife, thank you very much!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I know they're very different artists, I should have said the recommendations were in very different contexts. I'll check out Wildlife, thank you very much!

Also I don't know a ton about Mount Eerie but his last album, A Crow Looked at Me, is the saddest poo poo I've ever heard. He has a follow up out this week that's streaming as well but I haven't checked it out yet.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
If you're just looking for sad music I'd suggest Hospice by The Antlers

blockchain prenup
Mar 8, 2018

screaden posted:

If you're just looking for sad music I'd suggest Hospice by The Antlers

I've listened to it many times but thanks for the rec!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so this is perhaps an odd one.

There is a videogame, called Sea of Thieves, and in that videogame there are Traditional Instruments, and I'm quite taken by the way they perform some quite somber and melancholy instrumental versions of what I assume are traditional shanties.

I've since had a poke around on the Spotifies and such but the shanty collections are, well, boring and flat.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK so this is perhaps an odd one.

There is a videogame, called Sea of Thieves, and in that videogame there are Traditional Instruments, and I'm quite taken by the way they perform some quite somber and melancholy instrumental versions of what I assume are traditional shanties.

I've since had a poke around on the Spotifies and such but the shanty collections are, well, boring and flat.

The shanties from Assassin's Creed Black Flag were really enjoyable. Most if not all of those are a cappella if I remember right so that might be the opposite of what you're looking for. I don't know if they ever released an album but there should be videos on youtube of them.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Paperhouse posted:

I appreciate that this is a really vague request but I guess it's worth a go

I've been listening to Asa-Chang and Junray, and I doubt there's anything similar to them but I'm looking for something else that might scratch the same itch. More specifically, I like how their best stuff is really beautiful and pretty and melodic, and also experimental and really quite weird in the way that they play around with choppy spoken word/percussion and really unpredictable and strange rhythm and timing changes. Again, I don't expect to find anything particularly similar, but I always appreciate music that is classically beautiful but also in some way completely out of the ordinary. If that makes you think of something, I'm interested to know what. Specifically not really interested in improv stuff though

I was about to write basically this exact same post, but about the Books instead, so I appreciate people writing all the answers before I asked!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah, Mount Eerie is basically the same band and Phil just changed the name. No Flashlight is probably the closest to sounding like The Glow, being the earliest. Dawn and Lost Wisdom are both really quiet and mostly acoustic, so probably the least like The Microphones. His other more recent albums incorporate some black metal and drone, and I generally think they're his best stuff, but maybe not so much what you're asking for. Still, I started out being blown away by The Glow Pt 2 and moved on to loving everything else Phil's done, so maybe you will too. Sauna is really really good okay?

A Crow Looked At Me is the album Phil wrote after his wife died of cancer two years ago, and I basically can't listen to it because it's so personal. I'd have to agree with Henchman in how sad it is. It feels like something he wrote as therapy for himself.

As for other bands, the most obvious to me are neutral milk hotel, giles corey, and sufjan stevens. La dispute is an interesting recommendation and not one I'd have thought of. It makes me think you might wanna check out mewithoutyou as well. They're kinda somewhere in between mt eerie and la dispute in that they're kind of a post hardcore band, but they've also put out some really folksy material while being introspective and sad. Listen to the album catch for us the foxes. Planning for Burial is good if you're after atmospheric music made by clearly depressed dudes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Having listened to the new Mount Eerie album now, Now Only is more musically compelling than Crow while drawing from the same lyrical well.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Asked in the Stoner/Doom thread:

Really on a Primitive Man kick lately. Looking for reccos in a similar vein, which I guess is abrasive doom/sludge

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 28, 2018

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Asked in the Stoner/Doom thread:

Really on a Primitive Man kick lately. Looking for reccos in a similar vein, which I guess is abrasive doim/sludge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LtJV60xVbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9FPhpuNrwg

just found this in the yt sidebar videos when looking for those, pretty sick stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMsWjxJMdLU

forgot about these guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-FOTHUir_4

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 28, 2018

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I really like the mood of this specific chet baker song - almost blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PKzz81m5c

I don't know how to find more stuff like it.

I can't stand "chill" miles davis, which to me is like nails being driven into my head its so harsh and shrill. I want drunk on wine, late at night chilled way the gently caress out jazz but when you search for such things you get a lot of stuff that is just nowhere near as dark and muted as that song.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Qmass posted:

I can't stand "chill" miles davis, which to me is like nails being driven into my head its so harsh and shrill. I want drunk on wine, late at night chilled way the gently caress out jazz but when you search for such things you get a lot of stuff that is just nowhere near as dark and muted as that song.

bohren and der club of gore specialize in a "bleeding out in a dark alley" type of jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jbb7PUOkOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70JgUS_dhYY

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Qmass posted:

John Coltrane is an obvious choice. I really dig The Bad Plus, but that may not be exactly what you're looking for.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Misc posted:

bohren and der club of gore specialize in a "bleeding out in a dark alley" type of jazz

The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble are also good for this sound.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Beelerzebub posted:

I really dig The Bad Plus, but that may not be exactly what you're looking for.
Thank you for this. Like you say its not exactly what I was asking for but it is right in my lane.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Qmass posted:

I feel like I had this same problem trying to find more music like the LA Noire main theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiGKxCAg_0o

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble are also good for this sound.

Also their other project - Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation. YMMV on Kammernflimmer Kollektief

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

Robokomodo posted:

Sorry I'm really late to this but check out Ki-Oku by DJ Krush and Toshinori Kondo. Trip-hop + jazz trumpet

HoboNews fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 31, 2018

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I'm trying to identify artists who are might fit into a combination of shoegaze + vapor + glitch + hipster R&B.
Or maybe one could ironically call it the "Spotify Sound."

Bands I'm listening to these days include:
Blank Banshee
The Acid
Cocteau Twins
My Bloody Valentine
Sylvan Esso
Tobacco
Whirr
Com Truise
Trentemøller
Glass Animals
Little Dragon
Washed Out
Chromatics
Son Lux
Beacon
Black Atlass

What else should I check out?

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Any good recommendations for kinda lesser known folk or country artists that are kinda sad and had hard lives that influenced their music? Interesting stories like Jackson C. Frank, Townes Van Zandt, Roscoe Holcomb, and stuff like that.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Erostratus posted:

Any good recommendations for kinda lesser known folk or country artists that are kinda sad and had hard lives that influenced their music? Interesting stories like Jackson C. Frank, Townes Van Zandt, Roscoe Holcomb, and stuff like that.

check out the first couple of Jim Ringer albums

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hi recommendation thread...

I'm looking for tracks (or artists) that have a sort of wall of sound/distortion sound over ethereal drone sounds (The Disintegration Loops sort of thing). Track wise a good example would be the ending of Clark's Peak Magnetic and even James Holden's mix of The Sky Was Pink.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'm looking for tracks (or artists) that have a sort of wall of sound/distortion sound over ethereal drone sounds (The Disintegration Loops sort of thing). Track wise a good example would be the ending of Clark's Peak Magnetic and even James Holden's mix of The Sky Was Pink.

You might check out Simon Viklund. He did the soundtrack for Payday: The Heist and Payday 2.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

Ewar Woowar posted:

Eluvium's "False Readings On" does this in a couple songs, but this song in particular is a great example. Be aware, long build.
https://youtu.be/8p4IgfFc5_k

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ewar Woowar posted:

that's pretty much everything by Stars of the Lid. Windy & Carl did a lot of stuff like that, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in58Qmuc3tA

bands like Spacemen 3, Sigur Ros, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor are gonna have lots of moments like that, too, but not necessarily entire songs. i can think of more in that vein, but based on the other two things you posted, i'm not entirely sure if this kind stuff is what you're after.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Beelerzebub posted:

You might check out Simon Viklund. He did the soundtrack for Payday: The Heist and Payday 2.

Hmmm, was there any tracks in particular? Sounds maybe a little too 'industrial'. I only really listened to a few tracks on spotify though.

HoboNews posted:

Eluvium's "False Readings On" does this in a couple songs, but this song in particular is a great example. Be aware, long build.
https://youtu.be/8p4IgfFc5_k

Love it. Your pretty much nailed the brief haha.

funkybottoms posted:

that's pretty much everything by Stars of the Lid. Windy & Carl did a lot of stuff like that, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in58Qmuc3tA

bands like Spacemen 3, Sigur Ros, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor are gonna have lots of moments like that, too, but not necessarily entire songs. i can think of more in that vein, but based on the other two things you posted, i'm not entirely sure if this kind stuff is what you're after.

Yeah, Stars of the Lid are great- perhaps more drone than distortion though. The others are all bands I like but I guess I'd probably be looking more at tracks/artists with electronic leanings. That track you linked is fantastic by the way.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Ewar Woowar posted:

the ending of Clark's Peak Magnetic

i'm not too well versed in this stuff but this sounds a lot like a more polished version of a lot of Aspects of Physics stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YrQxZVQJX0

the track i'm thinking of is "level 4.2", but it's blocked in my country so idk

it's a little less "wall of sound" a little more "ethereal tape loops"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

ben frost, tim hecker, roly porter, the haxan cloak, emptyset