Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
Heyo, I'm looking for music like Fever Ray's first album, but without the lyrics. Moody, dark ambient stuff, but simple. Almost like Biosphere's "Substrata," but without the spoken samples. I'm looking for purely instrumental stuff - I need background music for an edgy DnD campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

HoboNews posted:

Heyo, I'm looking for music like Fever Ray's first album, but without the lyrics. Moody, dark ambient stuff, but simple. Almost like Biosphere's "Substrata," but without the spoken samples. I'm looking for purely instrumental stuff - I need background music for an edgy DnD campaign.

Funny coincidence here, I only just a few days ago discovered this genre called "Dungeon Synth" and it turns out there are droves of this stuff conveniently gathered onto one YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp9pzKbENQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHByLevaikI

Go hogwild.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 22, 2018

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
Whoa, thanks! It's perfect!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HoboNews posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZVkESecXk

cookiesapplejuice
May 3, 2009
What are some ambient album’s similar to Biosphere’s Substrata? Thanks!

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

cookiesapplejuice posted:

Closest I've ever found to Substrata is "Music for Real Airports" by The Black Dog, and "Selected Ambient Works II" by Aphex Twin. Of course you could check out biosphere's work on the "Insomnia" soundtrack, and some of his work with Higher Intelligence Agency, but other than those I frankly have never found anything quite like it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Who are some of the best avant-garde composers? Composers who really thought outside the box or came up with new or wildly different ideas. People like Arnold Schoenburg is what I'm looking for, but hopefully a little more out there. The weirder the better.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

ives, cage, webern, stockhausen, boulez, cowell, hiller, varèse, xenakis, nancarrow, and so on

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

ives, cage, webern, stockhausen, boulez, cowell, hiller, varèse, xenakis, nancarrow, and so on

This a lot to listen to, thank you!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Also Shostakovich. I've described his opera The Nose as a David Lynch plot set to the sound of two warring calliopes. It's fantastic.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

cookiesapplejuice posted:

Maybe Tim Hecker or William Basinski capture some of what you're looking for?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Also Shostakovich. I've described his opera The Nose as a David Lynch plot set to the sound of two warring calliopes. It's fantastic.

Woah that sounds awesome. Thanks!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kvlt! posted:

Who are some of the best avant-garde composers? Composers who really thought outside the box or came up with new or wildly different ideas. People like Arnold Schoenburg is what I'm looking for, but hopefully a little more out there. The weirder the better.

you should check out Ohm: The Early Gurus of Electronic Music

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I was listening to a pandora station last night of The Devil Makes Three and it was really good. I dig the sadder, darker stuff of that channel. However one group that came up was the Puppini (sp?) Sisters and I really liked them. Are there artists like that? What genre would you call them?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What's the best zola jesus record?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

areyoucontagious posted:

I was listening to a pandora station last night of The Devil Makes Three and it was really good. I dig the sadder, darker stuff of that channel. However one group that came up was the Puppini (sp?) Sisters and I really liked them. Are there artists like that? What genre would you call them?

Close harmony traditional pop, I suppose, with a twist of swing or boogie-woogie mixed in. Sort of a revival of late 1940s / 1950s vocal pop along the lines of the Andrews Sisters ("Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B") or the Chordettes ("Mr Sandman").

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm looking for "new age" music recommendations. The sort of stuff you'd hear in a nature shop at the mall in the 90s or what an ex-hippie art teacher would play during class. Moody synth pads, pan flutes, electric harp, chimes, etc. Preferably instrumental or with minimal vocals.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

I'm looking for "new age" music recommendations. The sort of stuff you'd hear in a nature shop at the mall in the 90s or what an ex-hippie art teacher would play during class. Moody synth pads, pan flutes, electric harp, chimes, etc. Preferably instrumental or with minimal vocals.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-I-Am-The-Center-Private-Issue-New-Age-Music-In-America-1950-1990/release/5074047

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Looking for some hip-hop recommendations.

I like The Coup, MF Doom, Binary Star, Open Mike Eagle, Saba, Serengeti and recently Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment. Old school stuff I like: Pharcyde, Wu-Tang Clan's first round of albums and their 2nd major group album, 2Pac, Biggie, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Gravediggaz, De La Soul

I loving hate Drake and most trap music.

I'm looking for anything, old school or new.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I like The Coup, MF Doom, Binary Star, Open Mike Eagle, Saba, Serengeti and recently Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment. Old school stuff I like: Pharcyde, Wu-Tang Clan's first round of albums and their 2nd major group album, 2Pac, Biggie, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Gravediggaz, De La Soul

Try:

Danny Brown
Skepta
Joey Bada$$
Royce Da 5'9
PRhyme
The Roots
Shabazz Palaces
Princess Nokia
Billy Woods
Sleaford Mods

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 15, 2018

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I'm probably listing records you've heard before, but since it's not above, you ought not sleep on these:

jungle brothers - "done by the forces of nature" (one of the greatest albums period)
busta rhymes - "the coming"
big L - "lifestyles ov da poor & dangerous"
digable planets - "reachin' (a new refutation of time and space)" and also "blowout comb"

surely you've heard illmatic, too

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Hey Recommendation thread:

Anything as good as the funky Steely Dan inspired Shintaro Sakamoto stuff? I dig him over some of the other similar artists due to his somewhat tongue in cheek and not 100% overly produced sound.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Try:

Danny Brown
Skepta
Joey Bada$$
Royce Da 5'9
PRhyme
The Roots
Shabazz Palaces
Princess Nokia
Billy Woods
Sleaford Mods

Misc posted:

I'm probably listing records you've heard before, but since it's not above, you ought not sleep on these:

jungle brothers - "done by the forces of nature" (one of the greatest albums period)
busta rhymes - "the coming"
big L - "lifestyles ov da poor & dangerous"
digable planets - "reachin' (a new refutation of time and space)" and also "blowout comb"

surely you've heard illmatic, too

Thanks for these. I've been going through them the past few days.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

This might be a weird request but can anyone recommend something like this track but a bit less ambient? Especially when the simple melody kicks in around 2:10. I really like the vibe, the sort of modern/near future isolated and introspective but somewhat optimistic feel, but I'd want a bit more going on - a drum loop or some more progression or something to actually listen to it often. It reminds me a little bit of the Mirror's Edge soundtrack or a less dramatic mind.in.a.box but I like the vibe of this more.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

il_cornuto posted:

This might be a weird request but can anyone recommend something like this track but a bit less ambient? Especially when the simple melody kicks in around 2:10. I really like the vibe, the sort of modern/near future isolated and introspective but somewhat optimistic feel, but I'd want a bit more going on - a drum loop or some more progression or something to actually listen to it often. It reminds me a little bit of the Mirror's Edge soundtrack or a less dramatic mind.in.a.box but I like the vibe of this more.

I feel like at least some tracks from the Frozen Synapse soundtrack might fit the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCOyycDOgeg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZPUr8Pl0OU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Oh yeah I already love the Frozen Synapse soundtrack, good suggestion though.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Franchescanado posted:

to add, and i'm sure you know at least a few:

Hieroglyphics/Del/Deltron 3030, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Non-Phixion, Company Flow/El-P/Run the Jewels, Cannibal Ox (The Cold Vein is a locked-in desert island disc), Perceptionists, Jurassic 5, Aesop Rock, Black Star, Guru

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

something about the echo and synths reminds me of crystal cult/paranormal soul era legowelt, maybe it will for you too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7EHPYgd4VA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA6M8Gg7nug

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The second track is really nice and pretty close to what I'm looking for, thanks! The CD cover is hilarious though.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Franchescanado posted:

Wanted to add a few to the list for you:

Jay Dilla - Donuts (Instrumental), Champion Sound (with Madlib), The Shining
9th Wonder - Zion I & II (instrumental), The Wonder Years
Madlib - The Unseen, Madvillainy (with MF Doom), The Beat Konducta Series (instrumental)
Pete Rock - Mecca & The Soul Brother, Soul Survivor I & II
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Prodigy - Return of the Mac
Prince Paul - A Prince Among Thieves

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ok. I need some recommendations on bands. I want to get more into Progressive metal\Progressive Rock.

My favorite songs so far are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C5qnG0GLfI Caligula's Horse - Marigold

Anything by Between the Buried and Me

Anything by Dreadnought

I prefer mixed vocals but I can deal either way.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I need some recommendations on bands. I want to get more into Progressive metal\Progressive Rock.
Prog rock is a fairly diverse area, but a couple suggestions in that general vicinity:
Obvious bands you've probably already heard: Tool, Opeth, The Mars Volta
Tesseract (someone's going to give me poo poo for not posting Altered State but gently caress it, I like their new album)
Leprous (starts out more metal and bends toward rock over time)
Haken
Karnivool

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Leprous and Haken are great, also maybe try
Rivers of Nihil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBoseBtsoWA
Ne Obliviscaris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij5X4cLk4U0
Riverside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSEarX-3KlA
Ihsahn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luitcvxtuME
and if you haven't gone back to King Crimson you should give them a try
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Late on this but it looks like you need some Kool G Rap - I'd start with his records with DJ Polo, particularly Live and Die and Wanted: Dead or Alive

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Good modern political punk please. Already familiar with Propagandhi, IDLES, GNOD, Vant, Sleaford Mods. Don't care for Anti-Flag or Rise Against.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Good modern political punk please. Already familiar with Propagandhi, IDLES, GNOD, Vant, Sleaford Mods. Don't care for Anti-Flag or Rise Against.

Downtown Boys

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’m generally not a huge fan of Trash Talk, but some releases of their album “No Peace” include a bonus track called “Stackin’ Skins” featuring Wiki and King Krule, and I loving love it. The weirdo rap/spoken-word verses complement the smoldering churn of the instrumental amazingly well, and Spielman’s appearance in the final third of the track is a great payoff to the tension of the earlier verses. Are there any other artists that make a habit of combining these vocal stylings with this particular type of groovy hardcore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL2ELfNxGEc

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Superchunk's new album "What a Time to be Alive" may be up your alley.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I need recommendations for more swing jazz. Me and a lady friend have taken up swing dancing classes and my repertoire only really extends into the 90s revival stuff like Squirrel Nut Zippers, Big Bad Vodoo Daddies, and the like. I'm more looking for more period appropriate bands and the like.

Edit: or newer, more modern swing revival stuff if that is such a thing. I did pick up Beasts of Burgundy and really quite liked it, but that's kind of the extent of what I know that's come out recently.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

DeathSandwich posted:

I need recommendations for more swing jazz. Me and a lady friend have taken up swing dancing classes and my repertoire only really extends into the 90s revival stuff like Squirrel Nut Zippers, Big Bad Vodoo Daddies, and the like. I'm more looking for more period appropriate bands and the like.

I would start with Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, and Cab Calloway. Look for stuff from the mid 30's to mid 40's.