Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Kvlt! posted:

I love Funkadelic's Maggot Brain and Eddie Hazel's solo album. Where do I go from there for more funk?

Check out some Bootsy Collins, he was the bass player on most of Parliament and Funkadelic's albums. For a little more modern funk if you are interested, check out Chromeo!

Edit: Thought of a few more. Check out Fatback Band, Rick James, Mary Jane Girls, and Dazz Band.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Up until a week ago, I thought I hated black metal/grindcore/whatever, but then I heard Anaal Nathrakh's newest album and fell in love. I really dig the pristine production values and the mix of semi-intelligible screaming/clean vocals. Is anybody else doing similar stuff?

I've tried listening to all the classic black metal bands, but the buzzsaw guitars and trashcan drums just sound awful to me, and modern stuff like Deafheaven/WITTR bores me to tears.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kvlt! posted:

I love Funkadelic's Maggot Brain and Eddie Hazel's solo album. Where do I go from there for more funk?

Graham Central Station
Sly & the Family Stone
Mother's Finest (funk with hard rock guitar playing)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Specifically
-Mothership Connection
-Chocolate City
-Doctor Funkenstein

Also Funkadelic's album America Eats It's Young is good.

kvlt!, you should also give Lettuce a try. They're a funk jam band, which seems right up your alley.

edit: Also check out Arthur Lee's band Love, and his solo album Vindicator.

You know my tastes my man, Lettuce is awesome!

Thanks to everyone else for the reccomendations! I'm loving them!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kvlt! posted:

You know my tastes my man, Lettuce is awesome!

my coworker who loves Lettuce is also a big fan of Vulfpeck, Budos Band, and Khruangbin

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

my coworker who loves Lettuce is also a big fan of Vulfpeck, Budos Band, and Khruangbin

Yeah, these are on point. I'd also add Hot 8 Brass band (kvlt!, that's the brass band I showed you that covers Sexual Healing)

Vulfpeck and Budos are so drat good.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Where can I find more weird moody synthy electricy jazz in the style of the instrumentals of To Pimp a Butterfly? I'm specifically talking about cuts like "Wesley's Theory", "Institutionalized", "For Sale?", those instrumentals drive me wild.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Izzhov posted:

Where can I find more weird moody synthy electricy jazz in the style of the instrumentals of To Pimp a Butterfly? I'm specifically talking about cuts like "Wesley's Theory", "Institutionalized", "For Sale?", those instrumentals drive me wild.

I'll give you a list of instrumental albums that are similar or that I think you would like. It's not all going to be exactly like TPAB, but I think it is close enough that you would enjoy them.

Jay Dilla - Dillatronic
Knxwledge - Hud Dreems
Nujabes - Metaphorical Music
Kariem Riggins - Headnod Suite
Yesterday's New Quintet - Angles Without Edges (more jazzy but awesome)
Madlib - Shades of Blue (Madlib gets to sample old Blue Note jazz records to make new beats with)
Pete Rock - Petestrumentals

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

hey goons,

I'm looking for some classical music that's Christian, but also deeply depressing. Alot of Christian music is obscenely happy, I want something that really says "Eloi, Eloi lama sabachtani" if you know what I mean. Probably a weird request but its hard to find. Many blessings (on this God forsaken earth) in advance.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

almost there posted:

hey goons,

I'm looking for some classical music that's Christian, but also deeply depressing. Alot of Christian music is obscenely happy, I want something that really says "Eloi, Eloi lama sabachtani" if you know what I mean. Probably a weird request but its hard to find. Many blessings (on this God forsaken earth) in advance.

Refer to this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Catholic_musicians#Composers_who_wrote_Catholic_sacred_music

The Catholic church was largely responsible for much of classical music being kept around at all, in terms of specific pieces, and they had rules that made more pleasing arrangements very difficult to make, as tritones and other such happy chords went counter to what the church wanted. Much of classical music from that era that remains accessible today is comparatively depressing simply due to the lack of these tools, as they are heavily used in pretty much any modern music you're likely to hear in any commercial use, whether selling mp3s, or in movies, or whatever. So yeah, if you want a bigass collection of depressing poo poo, as usual you need to look no further than the Catholic church.

There are loads of classical songs that aren't Christian that are still depressing, or at least rather bleak, but still good, due to intentionally used themes. My personal favorite of that would be Frederic Chopin's "Raindrop" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_6APTb3RNQ, which was inspired specifically by rainfall, with repeated notes representing that rain. It opens rather peacefully, but quickly becomes oppressive.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

almost there posted:

hey goons,

Fantasia on Greensleeves by Ralph Vaughan Williams was inspired by the folk song Greensleeves, which was eventually given lyrics and made into the Christian Christmas carol "What Child Is This?" by William Chatterton Dix in 1865.

It's is melancholy and beautiful and always reminds me of winter.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Can I get some recommendations for traditional doom metal? I like Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Pentagram, Trouble, Candlemass, Witchfinder General, Cathedral, Reverend Bizarre, etc. I'm less keen on sludge / stoner type stuff which I mostly find boring but I like Eyehategod, Crowbar, Harvey Milk, Melvins, and the first two Electric Wizard LPs so if you want to recommend some of that that you think I'd like that's cool too

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

Can I get some recommendations for traditional doom metal? I like Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Pentagram, Trouble, Candlemass, Witchfinder General, Cathedral, Reverend Bizarre, etc. I'm less keen on sludge / stoner type stuff which I mostly find boring but I like Eyehategod, Crowbar, Harvey Milk, Melvins, and the first two Electric Wizard LPs so if you want to recommend some of that that you think I'd like that's cool too

Pilgrim

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Radio Spiricom posted:

Trad doom:
Pagan Altar
Warning
Pallbearer
Khemmis
Hour of 13
Black Sabbath obviously

Stoner and sludge:
Sleep (you’ve probably tried them)
Thou
Church of Misery
Iron Monkey
High on Fire (got far less doomy after the first couple albums)
Weedeater
Buzzoven

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Thanks y'all. I figured Sabbath went without saying heh. I like Church of Misery too... Sleep & HoF unfortunately do nothing for me I'm afraid :( I'll try the others

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Looking for melancholic 'Japanese-sounding' solo piano music, similar to these tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSTJ7cLIRf8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqEtLDN1Ohc

I'm sure stuff like this is scattered across lots of different OST's so feel free to list individual tracks rather than whole albums. But if there are whole albums of this then that would be cool too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Izzhov posted:

Looking for melancholic 'Japanese-sounding' solo piano music, similar to these tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSTJ7cLIRf8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqEtLDN1Ohc

I'm sure stuff like this is scattered across lots of different OST's so feel free to list individual tracks rather than whole albums. But if there are whole albums of this then that would be cool too.

Final Fantasy has tons of OST albums arranged for piano, titled "Piano Collections." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT8fJ940AS4

Studio Ghibli does this too, and Joe Hisaishi is pretty great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LEmer7wwHI

This youtuber is a Japanese concert pianist who puts up videos of his own solo piano arrangements of game music from time to time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfdIaLjHEKg including my favorite rendition of Jump Up, Super Star, which isn't relevant because that's the opposite of melancholy

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

signalnoise posted:

Final Fantasy has tons of OST albums arranged for piano, titled "Piano Collections." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT8fJ940AS4

Studio Ghibli does this too, and Joe Hisaishi is pretty great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LEmer7wwHI

This youtuber is a Japanese concert pianist who puts up videos of his own solo piano arrangements of game music from time to time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfdIaLjHEKg including my favorite rendition of Jump Up, Super Star, which isn't relevant because that's the opposite of melancholy

This is just what I'm looking for, thanks!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Izzhov posted:

This is just what I'm looking for, thanks!

Oh hey I forgot to mention Hiromi Uehara, a Japanese pianist, who sometimes does this kind of thing instead of upbeat jazzy stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skur3NR-g20

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Radio Spiricom posted:

how do you feel about poppier/melodic doom?

big business, torche, goblin cock are all solid listens

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Radio Spiricom posted:

My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and Anathema are generally regarded as the big three bands of the second wave of doom metal, and they're definitely worth checking out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm looking for more "acoustic emo" like Owen (the acoustic songs). Just a person and an acoustic guitar, no other instrumentstion please

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

Check out Paul Chain(especially the 80s material which kicks rear end) and Pagan Altar, maybe Black Hole - Land of Mystery if you want some italo prog in your trad doom. New Dark Age by Solstice is a great album although their more recent stuff has moved away from doom a bit. If you like Pentagram there's a compilation called child of darkness by this band Bedemon who were basically an early offshoot of Pentagram, it's pretty good. The Russian band Scald did some cool Candlemass like epic doom on their one album.

ultrafilter posted:

My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and Anathema are generally regarded as the big three bands of the second wave of doom metal, and they're definitely worth checking out.

That stuff is death/doom which is fine but a bit different from what he was asking about.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Any other music like this? this is excellent imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ScmfuELSn0

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Any other music like this? this is excellent imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ScmfuELSn0

Possibly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr81-RiAN0Q

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

quadrophrenic posted:

how do you feel about poppier/melodic doom?

big business, torche, goblin cock are all solid listens

I think Torche sounds like Superchunk playing in Drop D and while I love Rob Crow GC has always seemed a gimmick to me. I'll probably give Big Business a listen though.

ultrafilter posted:

These bands are cool but

A human heart posted:

That stuff is death/doom which is fine but a bit different from what he was asking about.

A human heart posted:

Check out Paul Chain(especially the 80s material which kicks rear end) and Pagan Altar, maybe Black Hole - Land of Mystery if you want some italo prog in your trad doom. New Dark Age by Solstice is a great album although their more recent stuff has moved away from doom a bit. If you like Pentagram there's a compilation called child of darkness by this band Bedemon who were basically an early offshoot of Pentagram, it's pretty good. The Russian band Scald did some cool Candlemass like epic doom on their one album.

Sweet ty.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Big Business are cool but definitely not doom

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

thanks!

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Radio Spiricom posted:

I think Torche sounds like Superchunk playing in Drop D and while I love Rob Crow GC has always seemed a gimmick to me. I'll probably give Big Business a listen though.

the first GC album is definitely a gimmick and is kinda cringey and super early 2000s, but the one from a couple years ago is legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqBuzwuUKz8

the latest album is a covers album and its alright but not really an actual goblin cock album

Henchman of Santa posted:

Big Business are cool but definitely not doom

i don't disagree w/ that but I'm not really sure what to call them

they're a little too tight to be "sludge" I think

Wikipedia calls them "light metal" but lol at that

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

quadrophrenic posted:

i don't disagree w/ that but I'm not really sure what to call them

they're a little too tight to be "sludge" I think

Wikipedia calls them "light metal" but lol at that

Stoner. It’s a fairly broad term but they slot into it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Need some new music. No guitars, no hip hop. I love both but there are always an abundance of acts in those fields.

I'm familiar with lots of prominent electronic acts like Aphex Twin, Massive Attack, Prodigy, etc.

I also dislike most stuff associated with raves and find disco boring.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 15, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Need some new music. No guitars, no hip hop. I love both but there are always an abundance of acts in those fields.

I'm familiar with lots of prominent electronic acts like Aphex Twin, Massive Attack, Prodigy, etc.

I also dislike most stuff associated with raves.

Botanist is a black metal one man band using hammered dulcimers in place of guitars

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

I also dislike most stuff associated with raves.

Autechre.

Go!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Autechre.

Go!

Where shall I start?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Where shall I start?

Tri Repetae is their masterpiece imo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I also dislike most stuff associated with raves and find disco boring.

Cool, what kind of a mood are you looking for?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Cool, what kind of a mood are you looking for?

Stuff with kind of a horror/gothic backdrop is cool but other that I'm not too picky. Drum n' bass is cool too.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 15, 2018

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Good thing I asked, that's definitely my blind spot, sorry

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Stuff with kind of a horror/gothic backdrop is cool but other that I'm not too picky. Drum n' bass is cool too.

https://youtu.be/iuGXsGTb82c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

do you know gesaffelstein? sounds like it might be up your alley, maybe. industrial-esque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB8Ci7X5HUU