Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name to
Jun 12, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Tree Goat posted:

Well what about Dylan do you like? The man has done a lot of very different things. What albums/songs pop out at you?

I really like Masters of War and Hurricane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Terrorist Kerchief posted:

I really like Masters of War and Hurricane.

In that case I'd say listen to "Eve of Destruction" by Barry Mcguire, a protest song on par with the very best of Dylans folk/protest work. For stuff that sounds like Hurricane you should check out the whole Folk Rock scene in the 70's- Artists like The Band (Dylans own backing band), Fairport Convention, Neil Young (Harvest is a good starting point), Cat Stevens and The Travelling Wilburys.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 18, 2010

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
Anyone know any artists really similar to Andrew Bird?

On a different tangent, artists similar to Boyz Noize, Justice, SebastiAn, Danger, MSTRKRFT and Bloody Beetroots? (basically any of those more heavy electro artists)

Especially Andrew Bird though, I have listened to his albums almost non stop for the past few months and I still love them.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

poop posted:

Anyone know any artists really similar to Andrew Bird?

Well early Andrew Bird is similar to current Andrew Bird, for one:
His earlier pre-Swimming Hour stuff is pretty good but definitely closer to stuff like the Squirrel Nut Zippers than his later output. And he makes sure to really do a good job of improvising or otherwise modifying his songs when he's playing live. The Fingerlings collections have some great live stuff if you aren't in a position to go see him.

St. Vincent collaborated with + has been compared to Andrew Bird a few times, so you could check her out. Sufjan Stevens usually also comes up in a list of similar artists but you've probably already heard his stuff. If you want to skew more twee then you could try out the Fruit Bats. If you want to skew more folksy then you could try Bowerbirds or DeVotchKa.

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

In that case I'd say listen to "Eve of Destruction" by Barry Mcguire, a protest song on par with the very best of Dylans folk/protest work. For stuff that sounds like Hurricane you should check out the whole Folk Rock scene in the 70's- Artists like The Band (Dylans own backing band), Fairport Convention, Neil Young (Harvest is a good starting point), Cat Stevens and The Travelling Wilburys.

I agree. See if you can cotton to Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger as well. Also check out Dylan's Theme Time Radio Show, he really goes out of his way to cover a lot of the musical ground that he thinks is important+influential on it so it also works as a backwards sort of way to see what influenced Dylan.

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 18, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

poop posted:

On a different tangent, artists similar to Boyz Noize, Justice, SebastiAn, Danger, MSTRKRFT and Bloody Beetroots? (basically any of those more heavy electro artists)

Check out Vitalic, Fake Blood, Jack Beats, Designer Drugs, AC Slater, Herve, Lazy Rich, Brodinski and Nadastrom

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 19, 2010

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Recently, I've been really into Paul Simon's Graceland album. Can anybody think of any similar sounding albums or bands that play a similar style to that?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Juttman posted:

Recently, I've been really into Paul Simon's Graceland album. Can anybody think of any similar sounding albums or bands that play a similar style to that?

If you can find the albums, the WOMAD releases pretty much invented World Music as a genre. Everyone non-Western that has appeared on anyone's releases, or got their own releases got their first breaks with those albums, and the following concert series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Juttman posted:

It's a great album I haven't listened to in years, but was just thinking about it recently. At the risk of being made fun of, Vampire Weekend's self-titled debut actually has some African-sounding influences, and you can tell they were all big Graceland fans. Of course, there's always Ladysmith Black Mambazo if you liked the choral sections.

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
Thanks kundalini rinsing and Tree Goat

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

This is a bit vague but I've been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan lately and I want more of the same style(hippie-ish music?) any recommendations?

The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave gets compared to Dylan a lot. I honestly don't listen to Dylan at all but Tallest Man is completely awesome so you really can't go wrong checking him out either way.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfesCeMRN0w
I think this is pretty cool, I'd like to find some more music like this, perhaps artists who are more well known so I can actually track them down in a record store or itunes or something.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

This is a bit vague but I've been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan lately and I want more of the same style(hippie-ish music?) any recommendations?
John Prine's self titled is probably worth checking out. He's been quietly making excellent folk music for a very devoted following for like 40 years and all his albums have something kinda Dylan-ish on it. Sam Stone, Angel from Montgomery, Paradise, all fantastic songs. Bruised Orange is his "best" but really you can just pick an album at random and probably enjoy it.

Anyway, I'm looking for something kinda like Metric: synthesizers and loud electric guitar and girls yelling type pop music.

Uncle Marx
Jan 16, 2006

I've been recommended the Red House Painters and Sparklehorse. Which would you consider their best album each? I don't want to use the last.fm "Top albums" lists because they tend to consist of mediocre albums with only a few standout singles.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Anyway, I'm looking for something kinda like Metric: synthesizers and loud electric guitar and girls yelling type pop music.

Le Tigre and Be Your Own PET would both be right up your alley :)

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

Uncle Marx posted:

I've been recommended the Red House Painters and Sparklehorse. Which would you consider their best album each? I don't want to use the last.fm "Top albums" lists because they tend to consist of mediocre albums with only a few standout singles.

Spaklehorse

I like Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot and It's a Wonderful Life equally but Vivadixie.. is probably a better album to start with.

Red House Painters

Their 1st s/t (aka rollercoaster) is consider their best by a lot of people but i prefer Down Colorful Hill

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Le Tigre and Be Your Own PET would both be right up your alley :)

and if you like Be Your Own Pet you may want to consider looking up Mikabomb or Shonen Knife, though they're more punkish.

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
What bands are similar to Slowdive? I'm looking for the more dream pop side of shoegaze rather than the noisy abrasive stuff like MBV. All I've been listening to lately is Slowdive and Cocteau Twins.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

FetusOvaries posted:

What bands are similar to Slowdive? I'm looking for the more dream pop side of shoegaze rather than the noisy abrasive stuff like MBV. All I've been listening to lately is Slowdive and Cocteau Twins.

Try Ride, Lush, Pale Saints and Chapterhouse.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

FetusOvaries posted:

Air Formation, Galaxie 500, and the Radio Dept are also good. Try Asobi Seksu if you like your dream pop dull and derivative with bland J-Pop vocals.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A friend of me asked if I had any "dark IDM-ish stuff, akin to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBwUJMZNOgQ"

Since I haven't gone near IDM or any spastic electronica in years I figured I should ask in here. Help me recommend stuff to my friend. :)

DividedFrame
Apr 3, 2010
I'm looking for anything that isn't in English葉he more obscure, the better! Something upbeat and poppy preferred, but I'm down for anything from rap to rock to techno, in anything from German to Chinese to Africaans. Go crazy!

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

DividedFrame posted:

I'm looking for anything that isn't in English葉he more obscure, the better! Something upbeat and poppy preferred, but I'm down for anything from rap to rock to techno, in anything from German to Chinese to Africaans. Go crazy!

You just cast the widest net ever, because, as it turns out, England, America, and Canada aren't the only countries who make "upbeat poppy music". Be more specific.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

DividedFrame posted:

I'm looking for anything that isn't in English葉he more obscure, the better!

Poetry & Languid Charm - Swahili Music 1920-1950
Hugh Tracey's field recordings: Congo 1952 & 1957, the Luba and the Kanyok
Song and Dance Ensemble of the Shensi Province: Five Revolutionary Folk Songs

Glad to help :)

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain

slowdave posted:

Try Ride, Lush, Pale Saints and Chapterhouse.

Yeah, those bands are great.. nice username, a pun on "Slowdive", I guess?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

DividedFrame posted:

You need Morning Musume in your life, particularly their 3rd to 6th albums though they are all okay those albums represent the "Golden Age" of the group. You should look into the other groups from Up-Front Works/Hello! Project too like W and soloists such as Matsuura Aya and Kusumi Koharu the latter being facemeltingly sweet.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

DividedFrame posted:

This is like, exactly what you are looking for.

KevinHeaven fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 24, 2010

breaks
May 12, 2001

FetusOvaries posted:

Try The Fauns. I was on a real Slowdive kick last year and looking for stuff that was new / not Slowdive, and ended up listening the hell out of their album. They aren't exactly the most innovative band you'll ever hear, but it worked for me anyway.

Maybe Alison's Halo too, if you don't already know of them. Not consistently good in my opinion, but they don't exactly have a mountain of material to sort through.

(Those are both big swooshes of noise / wall of fog bands I guess, but not in an abrasive way, and anyway I never did really find anything that scratched the same itch for me as the clean riffy portion of Slowdive's output).

breaks fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 23, 2010

Stoicinema
Sep 17, 2008
I really like the song Kiwi Maddog 20/20 by Elliott Smith. I love Elliott Smith in general but I absolutely adore that song. It's different from many of his other songs and I'm wondering if there are any bands that play that kind of music or sound like that song i.e. Twangy country-esque guitar sound with lots of reverb, instrumental, downbeat and kind of spooky sounding. If this rings a bell please let me know.

Here's the song on youtube for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DdBbLdSBzQ

akrob
Sep 5, 2009

by T. Finn
Something comparable to John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Stoicinema posted:

I really like the song Kiwi Maddog 20/20 by Elliott Smith. I love Elliott Smith in general but I absolutely adore that song. It's different from many of his other songs and I'm wondering if there are any bands that play that kind of music or sound like that song i.e. Twangy country-esque guitar sound with lots of reverb, instrumental, downbeat and kind of spooky sounding. If this rings a bell please let me know.

Here's the song on youtube for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DdBbLdSBzQ

It reminds me a bit of older Calexico:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfidKiHSlbw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejW4u2X7S9A

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is there anything like Andy McKee but with vocals? The closest I've found so far is Tallest Man On Earth, but I can't find anything else with the awesome fingerpicking to go along with the vocals. Most recommendations just give me boring singer/songwriter type stuff. I've got the earlier Bob Dylan albums, so slash that off the list too. Thanks in advance

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.

screaden posted:

Is there anything like Andy McKee but with vocals? The closest I've found so far is Tallest Man On Earth, but I can't find anything else with the awesome fingerpicking to go along with the vocals. Most recommendations just give me boring singer/songwriter type stuff. I've got the earlier Bob Dylan albums, so slash that off the list too. Thanks in advance

Michael Hedges.

BagelMaster
Mar 20, 2008
I have a more specific question for recommendations, I'm looking for more hip-hop or rap or even RnB that is similar to Badio - Touchdown. Most of his other stuff isn't as bouncy or "up" sounding. For some reason I also think of Wiz Khalifa - Pittsburgh Sound when I listen to "Touchdown", if that provides any more information on what I'm looking for.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Can anyone recommend any hip-hop that sounds similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFwoewkV9Cw

It does not need to be underground in particular, but I have had trouble digging up artists with a similar sound.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Anything else like Ladyhawke - Magic around? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy3t6dDyXHg&playnext_from=TL&videos=jpVssAJ-Mbk

I'm not big on pop but I absolutely love that song. In a similarly 80's vibe but slightly different, this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy3t6dDyXHg&playnext_from=TL&videos=jpVssAJ-Mbk

Which is probably one of the best songs I've ever heard. I'm not an 80's retro freak, but if anyone knows of tunes similar to either of these two, w00t.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

a pwn cocktail posted:

Anything else like Ladyhawke - Magic around? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy3t6dDyXHg&playnext_from=TL&videos=jpVssAJ-Mbk

I'm not big on pop but I absolutely love that song. In a similarly 80's vibe but slightly different, this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy3t6dDyXHg&playnext_from=TL&videos=jpVssAJ-Mbk

Which is probably one of the best songs I've ever heard. I'm not an 80's retro freak, but if anyone knows of tunes similar to either of these two, w00t.

Well, you quoted the same link twice so dunno what the other song was supposed to be, but I absolutely loving love Magic and think Little Boots' LP from last year hits the same spot in me quite often.

Yergie
Jan 22, 2007
I've really been digging the #1 Record/Radio City CD. What would be a good place to start branching out in power pop and that sort of music?

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Yergie posted:

I've really been digging the #1 Record/Radio City CD. What would be a good place to start branching out in power pop and that sort of music?

Definitely check out The dB's first album Stands For Decibels

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

Yergie posted:

After Big Star a lot of people think that Cheap Trick, The dB's, and Teenage Fanclub are the three biggest power-pop groups. At Budokan, Stands For Decibels, and Bandwagonesque are the three defining albums for each respective band. For my money, I never liked Cheap Trick as much as the other two but that's SORT of sacriligous, I know.

Other things you should check out:
The album Frosting on the Beater by The Posies which in MY opinion is the best incarnation of 90's power-pop. The production is definitely dated but the songwriting is top-notch.
ALSO if you can track it down, Numero Group released a comp called Yellow Pills: Prefill which is a compilation of really great power-pop from the late 70's and 80's that is all in the vein of the rawer stuff from Big Star. The other Yellow Pills comps are great but all fall under really cheesy 90's power pop that some people find hard to stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

screaden posted:

There's this really amazing seattle duo called Thousands who makes some incredible fingerpicked folk music that i think would be right up your alley. Go here and listen to any of the tracks from the record, especially Red Seagulls and Everything Turned Upside Down to get an idea of how incredible it is.