Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

ConMoon posted:

I really dug De La Soul's 3 Feet High And Rising. Are there any other De La must-haves?

Buhloone Mind State is a fantastic album and definitely shouldn't be overlooked. It's got some of their best songs - Eye Patch, Patti Dooke, Breakadawn, I Am I Be, and more. In my opinion I Am I Be is one of the best rap tracks from the 90's.

Stakes is High is also pretty good.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I don't know if this will make sense because I don't have any examples but I like songs that build and build and build on a riff you'd expect to suddenly break into something else but never does. They just keep building up to nothing.

Sort of like what Lightning Bolt does from time to time but I'm not necessarily looking for something aggressive. It can be any type of music.

Any thoughts?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Way Past Cool! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg5D-CqDoI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U8fRHemfZw

Is this the kind of thing you had in mind or is too repetitive?

Anyway, for something more specifically like Lightning Bolt, Ruins were a pretty big influence on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYE2KmznFU

Thanks for the reccommendations. Spacemen 3 was a little heavy on the drone side but I liked it. I've listened to Spiritualized for years but never investigated Spacemen 3 even though I was aware of them.

The Melvins track was good as well :)

Full Circle posted:

End of the Road by IM has a perfect example this from 2:30 to 3:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px8Bvbv6Kts

I think the reason I like the never ending buildup is from listening to electronic music. I used to love Plastikman's Sheet One album and the way it had this weird, constant beat that never escalated. It's easy to get lost in and I love it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Bill Posters posted:

If you like the Earl Scruggs stuff then you should definitely check out Steve Martin's (yes that Steve Martin) recent album The Crow. It's a great album of old school bluegrass banjo tunes with Scruggs himself getting a guest spot on at least one song.

I myself am looking for rockabilly/alt-country artists in the vein of Rev. Horton Heat and Southern Culture on the Skids. I've looked into the usual psychobilly suspects such as the Cramps and the Meteors but they all seem to take themselves a bit too seriously. I'm really after something with a bit more of a sense of fun/humour.

As a more general request I'm into old school country such as Hank Williams and Buck Owens through to Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins. Any modern recommendation that isn't the overproduced, flag waving bullshit that seems to be popular country music these days would be appreciated. The Little Willies have caught my ear recently. Something like that but with more original material would be great.

Are you familiar with Drive-By Truckers? If not, you may want to check them out for the alt-country thing. Maybe give Ween's 12 Golden Country Greats a shot too since you're looking for a group with a sense of humor.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 10, 2010

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm a huge fan of Ween and one of my favorite songs is Gabrielle.

I've read numerous instances of people comparing this to Thin Lizzy. Can anyone recommend some particular stuff by Thin Lizzy that might draw strong comparisons to Gabrielle?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

emminou posted:

I don't know much about Thin Lizzy, but I'd suggest picking up the album Jailbreak - Gabrielle sounds a lot like "The Boys Are Back in Town" and "Jailbreak" which are both on there. (I also really like "Cowboy Song" which is on there too!)

Thanks - I think I can get into this.

:)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yellow Rhymer posted:

I'm looking for some soothing acoustic guitar pieces. I can't think of anything specific to mention, but I just want something relaxing to play in the background while working or reading. I don't know where to start searching though.

Your request is a little broad, but give John Fahey a listen for one direction in acoustic instrumental guitar. You can find a lot of his stuff on Grooveshark.

He's got a large discography and I've got the following two albums I can recommend:

Death Chants, Breakdowns, and Military Waltzes
The Great San Bernadino Birthday Party

Both are perfect as background music and won't distract from tasks.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 6, 2010

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

InflateableFerret posted:

King Khan & BBQ - I'll Be Loving You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmXHm2Yc2KM

This is awesome - thanks for sharing it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Angrybarrel posted:

I'm trying to build my teen angst and i'm looking for some more punk.

Stuff I like:
dead kennedys
crackrock steady stuff (choking victim, starfucking hipsters, leftover crack, etc.)
crass
subhumans
anti-flag

Stuff I don't like:
black flag (I like Henry rollins but was never into the music tbh)
indk

Prefer stuff that isn't to hardcore

Check out Stiff Little Fingers' album Inflammable Material. It's my opinion that Alternative Ulster is the finest punk song ever written.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

This may be a long shot but a while back I grabbed an album by Harry Partch and discovered microtonal compositions. Something about the style clicks with me and I'd like to explore more. Wikipedia has a rather lengthy list of composers so I'm not sure where to go from here. The Partch album I have is called "The World of Harry Partch".

me your dad fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 1, 2010

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

King of the Ocean posted:

Man the link didnt work in my country! :(

I checked out all these bands, im after something perhaps a bit more ambient? much slower tempos hey!

like throw in some sitars and some sweet melodies and we're talking!

i know there is heaps of music like in my examples, i just cant find it

Here's something from one of my favorites: Krokodil - And I Know.

That's from the album "Getting up for the Morning". The whole thing is fantastic.

You might also want to check out Acid Mothers Temple.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 2, 2010

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

ConradPoohs posted:

I'm looking for something really manic and dissonant and distorted, with sudden shifts in the music. I'm thinking of bands like Deerhoof, Drive Like Jehu, and Lightning Bolt when I say that, if it helps. Any ideas?

Ever listen to Mr. Bungle?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I realized today that I really like Pulp but I only have one album, which is "Different Class". I think I must have gotten it from the library on a whim one day.

What other albums of theirs would be good to check out?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

rum sodomy the lash posted:

Hmm, haven't tried this thread in years so might as well. Right now my top listened to artists are the Clash, Drive-By Truckers, Bob Dylan, The Pogues, Randy Newman, Johnny Cash, Steve Earle, M.I.A., Hank Williams, the Mummies, the Felice Brothers It's sorta a jumble of genres, but I love folk, country, rock, punk, garage, or any fusion of those. I love songwriting that tells... I guess socially conscious stories? Although explicit 60s protest songs are annoying, excluding Dylan who'd I argue never did explicit protest songs. Any ideas?

Some things you might like:

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster

Leonard Cohen - The Partisan

Bruce Springsteen - The Ghost of Tom Joad

Burning Spear - The Invasion

Calexico - Across the Wire

Minutemen - This Ain't No Picnic

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

rum sodomy the lash posted:

Thanks for all these. I already love and have Cohen and Springsteen. I like the Stiff Little Fingers song, I'll make sure to get some of them, but I really, really love that Calexico song. The thing is, I've tried them out before, I have the album Carried to Dust, and while I loved the instrumentals and really, the sound in general, I can't stand the vocals when spoken in English. I don't know how to describe it, but I hate that kind of soft... whispery singing the guy does. Is there an album where that is less dominant? Or maybe an album more directly focused on Mexican and country instead of latin music in general.

Are you looking for more Calexico with those qualities, or a different band with a similar sound?

The whispery singing will still be there on certain tracks, but I really prefer Calexico's live recordings over the studio albums. If you search for them on Archive.org's live music database there's an album called Live at China Theater on 2003-04-25. You can stream it from there. The sound quality is phenomenal and there are several standout tracks: Pepita, Guerro Canelo, Sunken Waltz, and their covers of Alone Again Or and Corona.

There's an instrumental band called Friends of Dean Martinez that has a fairly similar style, albeit a bit lazier and stoned sounding. I've only ever owned one album (Atardecer) so my knowledge isn't broad. But I can recommend checking that album out on Grooveshark and maybe there are others you'd like.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

crazyfish posted:

I'm looking for more spacey late 60s/early 70s kind of psychedelic/krautrock. Think long, spacey, free-improv kind of jams. Stuff along the lines of Ash Ra Tempel, Gam, No-Neck Blues Band, and ZeN (the Turkish band, I think there might be more than one by that name). It doesn't have to be from this specific era but I included a date range to give more of an idea about what I'm looking for.

Is this the same Gam from Savannah GA who did Thunderbomb, Beer Planet, and the Phase 8 album?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

crazyfish posted:

I don't think so though I don't know enough about the group to know for sure. http://www.discogs.com/artist/GAM This is the one I'm talking about, and the release I have is Gam 1976.

Definitely different :)

This is the Gam I was thinking of. They were a pretty obscure, but good band. I think they mostly stuck around the southeast US. I saw them play a few times in Atlanta in the mid-90's.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 4, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Could you guys recommend me some good surf rock? I've been listening so some songs on Youtube and really like the genre but don't know where to begin.

Check out The Space Cossacks. The do some pretty good stuff and they're modern as well.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

killing_fields posted:

Just discovered this song; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeZCGPqZS-4 Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode, especially this version of it.

I really enjoy the guitar, music and the gritty feeling. Great overall! I usually listen to rock and country. And more songs like this that anyone can recommend?

I'd recommend checking out more tracks from the album that song is from - Violator. It's a great album and had several of hits on it, so you may recognize some of the songs.

Enjoy the Silence is a great one, for example. World in My Eyes is another track from that album.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Ulio posted:

Any good dark acoustic sounds out there? Not the song but just the music.

This has a dark tone overall: Avalanche by Leonard Cohen. If you like that, it's from the album Songs of Love and Hate. This is another good album (and also the inspiration for the cover art of Ween's album The Pod).

me your dad fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 16, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

For Gamelan, I've got this album in my collection and it's fantastic:

Lou Harrison - Chamber and Gamelon Works

Also, thanks for the mention of Zoo Psychology - I love it.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 23, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

unleash the unicorn posted:

Hey there, can anyone recommend songs with a similar chorus to this one?
(specifically the "wha-whahooooooo...." part)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeZftK2kO6U

Check out this track, by The Chantels. You may also like this. In general, you may be looking for doo-wop tunes you grandpa.

That first song is from the Mean Streets soundtrack. Here is a track listing, and going by that, you may be able to find more stuff you like.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

moss piglet posted:

Looking for really sedate, introspective piano, such as:

John Cage, Dream
Aphex Twin, Nannou 2
Aphex Twin, Avril 14th

Classical, or not.

Look into Erik Satie's Gymnopedia: link (do yourself a favor and ignore the stupid video). That's from around 1888.

And here's Gnossiene #1 link.

These should fit the bill nicely.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 4, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Who are some artists that have done interesting things with classical music samples? I'm already familiar with Murcof and the Drakengard soundtrack.

Alternatively, recommend the most gripping, terrifying orchestral music you can think of. I already listen to Stravinsky and Varese.

Are you familiar with the album Rossz csillag alatt született by Venetian Snares?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

PoisonedV posted:

What are some suggestions for the type of soul like in Bewildered by James Brown? (and obviously a fair amount of other songs like his.) I listen to a fair amount of Mo-Town and now James Brown kick and the like but it's usually more on the upbeat and funky side.

The Numero Group put out various soul label compilations called Eccentric Soul. They're compilations from old soul labels featuring a variety of groups. I'd recommend previewing them to find the sound you like. Some of the stuff is upbeat, but there is plenty features slower stuff.

Eccentric Soul

And something like this in particular might be similar to what you're after.

Dusty Groove is a good online record shop with all sorts of soul, jazz, and funk. It may be worth digging around on there a bit as well.

Also, some Otis Redding might float your boat.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 13, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

How dreadful! posted:

Where do I start with Sun Ra? The only jazz I've listened to is Kind of Blue and Time Out. Should I stick with more traditional things before I venture into his territory?

There aren't any rules about what you should and shouldn't listen to at any given time. Someone asked about Sun Ra on the page before this one.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Sun Ra wrote several songs falling within a more traditional bop sound.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for very somber, depressing, sparse banjo music. I don't care if it has vocals, as long as the vocals match the overall tone. I could be looking for the John Fahey of the banjo world.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

screaden posted:

A lot of Sufjan Stevens fits this bill, it's not purely banjo, but it certainly features very heavily, the albums "Seven Swans" and "Michigan" probably has the most banjo out of his discog

Thanks - I'm familiar with Sufjan Stevens and I own Seven Swans, but he lacks the grit I may be after.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm a big fan of Fahey and the qualities that you mention, and my mind went directly to Hobart Smith. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGmUD53Y5kU&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-XQSmHPAIE

Thanks for this, and to the other two people who posted some recommendations. I'm beginning to think there is no slow banjo playing. Everybody does the real fast picking style.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Pokeylope posted:

Something like John Williams is a bit too bombastic. I'm looking for more mellow, evocative music. I tried getting into classical, but I found most of it to be a bit too, I guess stodgy would be the right word. Any suggestions?

Try Music for Airports, by Brian Eno.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Umbriago posted:

I'm looking for great lyricists. I'm already into Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Shane MacGowan, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen, The Smiths, John Prine, Woody Guthrie.

Who am I missing?

Bruce Springsteen, of course. Listen to Nebraska or Ghosts of Tom Joad if you doubt.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

On a side note, I've been watching Treme and have loved the music. Any chance there's a good comp or an especially good place to start with jazz music from New Orleans?

This is a great compilation of New Orleans music. It doesn't look like it's available new anymore, but I'm sure it won't be too tough to track down a used copy. It also doesn't focus singularly on jazz, but neither does the city.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Time Cowboy posted:

This thread is now one of my favorite places on SA. I want to thank you all for the excellent recommendations from my earlier request.

This time I'm looking for music along the lines of Strangers 1800, or "Cowboy Dan" by Modest Mouse, or "Shallow Grave" by Dog Fashion Disco -- sort of a modern take on the classic spaghetti western sound. Are there any bands that do this as their primary sound?

Definitely check out Friends of Dean Martinez.

link

link

link

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

I guess I like clean, accoustic-ish music the most. The headphones I have right now have pretty good frequency response across the board, and I really like how Yes's classic music comes through strong, sharp and clear on 'em. Heavier music just seems too noisy and confusing for me, but I'll listen to most styles of music if it's good!

How about some Nick Drake?

Place to Be

Day is Done

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I would like more stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC3QnAcBsbg

Super reverb-heavy surf rock. The linked is actually a metal song redone as surf rock, but it serves as example.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - these are great.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Convexed posted:

I'm looking for some nice ambient music to listen through my headphones whilst I'm reading or working. I've been using Brian Eno's 'Music for Airports' and the Blade Runner soundtrack for a while, so anything else like that would be greatly appreciated.

3 page thread about ambient music.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Philthy posted:

I'll give this a shot. My googling has come up short.

I like the sound of the saxophone being played in a dark alley in the rain. Usually by a guy who needs some extra coin for the week.

I absolutely love it.

Can anyone recommend something like this? I've listened to a lot of Jazz/Blues Saxophone radio stations with no real luck. It is almost always an ensemble type of band.

I just want to listen to a dude playing a sad sax tune, in an alley, in the rain. Not really up beat. Just relaxing. Soothing. Sad.

You'll probably love this: De La Soul - I Be Blowin'. It has accompaniment, but it's minimal.

That's Maceo Parker playing the horn, with De La Soul producing the track.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

sagacious posted:

So normaly i'm a big fan of groups like Ace of Base and Electric Six, but I want some more variation. And I was thinking about rock with orchestral elements in it. So do you guys have any suggestions?

Obvious answer - Electric Light Orchestra. That's from their album A New World Record, which is phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Jut posted:

Hey, I'm looking for stuff similar to Jazzanova
...is one of my fave songs, I love the piano in the background. Little bird is another one of theirs that I love.

Similar songs I like include this

A jazzy number which is very "busy" in terms of the instruments playing...plenty happening in the background...yes I know I suck with describing stuff...

Please give me a genre or similar bands!

I'm just going to throw this out there: The Bad Plus. I'm not sure how that fits, but it seems appropriate.

Also, you may want to check this out

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 11, 2013