Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

MooglyGuy posted:

I am currently looking for any songs that are upbeat or "happy"-sounding, and would fit well for a photo / video montage. Two songs that I can think of immediately offhand that at least somewhat fit the bill are:

Young Rascals - Good Loving
BoDeans - Closer To Free

Some more specific criteria that might narrow things down is that I would really prefer that the song have a point at which all of the music and vocals stop, then pick up again after a brief pause. Good Loving fits that bill, but Closer To Free, unfortunately, does not.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I've always wanted to do a montage to The Zombies' This Will Be Our Year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

Jive One posted:

I'm looking for some more explicitly-political soul music along the same lines as Gil Scott-Heron(who is amazing and I can't believe I hadn't heard of him before) and Bobby Womack, or some political electro or older hip-hop such as The Message. Basically any artist that frequently discussed the problems that were present in American cities during the 70's and 80's.

Sly and the Family Stone's albums Life, There's a Riot Goin' On, and Fresh, especially the last two.

Gil Scott-Heron is realllly badass though. As far as overt politics goes, you probably won't beat him (but what do I know).

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet
I need something similar to Au or maybe the more focused aspects of Jackie-O Motherfucker. But especially the sublime experimental minimalist carnival ramblings of Au.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet
Also, I'm looking for anything similar to Dirty Projectors. I like everything that Longstreth has released, including the early weird stuff. But "Rise Above" I consider a masterpiece. The music is idiosyncratic enough to where I imagine there's not much else like it, but I guess what I'm after is: the musical adventurism; the mix of soft, loud, hard, fast, slow, angry and smooth, all in one song sometimes; the crazy-good melodies and harmonies; and the weirdly affecting vocal performances that Dave is capable of.

I guess a better recommendation guideline would be: if you love Dirty Projectors as much as I do and for vaguely similar reasons, what else do you like?

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

sunshinebusride posted:

Hey y'all - i'm looking really specifically for what i'd probably best describe as 'smooth hipster indie with folk and/or electronica influence' - and the best examples i have would be on this playlist:

Sea Wolf – You're a Wolf
Yeasayer – 2080
The Sea and Cake – Weekend
Animal Collective – My Girls
Frightened Rabbit – I Feel Better
BSS Presents Brendan Canning - Hit The Wall
School of Seven Bells – Iamundernodisguise
Tortoise – TNT
Plants and Animals – Feedback in the Field

really, i'm intrigued by the 'scene' that this stuff comes out of (although i'm aware its not a geographic scene) - this effortlessly cool indie pop has really got me wanting more! anyone got some tracks/albums for me to listen to?

hope you guys can help me, as so far my normal ports of call are failing me. :)

Some bands: Ruby Suns, Grizzly Bear, Deerhunter, Fleet Foxes, Beach House, Women, Department of Eagles, Panda Bear, Bon Iver, Caribou/Manitoba, High Places...

OR I could recommend Pitchfork.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Where do I get started with Animal Collective and Unkle? Edit: and Godspeed You Black Emperor

tl;dr - Start with Feels or Sung Tongs

There's like 100 ways to get started on Animal Collective. I think you should just read these descriptions of the albums and start with what appeals to you most:

Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - Their first. Sometimes nice and accessible but often covered in super-sonic buzzing that I've heard can permanently damage your ears. You can basically hear the next 3-4 albums' start in this album, especially with the characteristically loopy and melodic AC vocals, but it's not one I'd start with. Folky and acoustic in parts with plenty of electronic weirdness and experimentation. Probably where they got their "freak folk" label from. Bat You'll Fly

Here Comes the Indian - Arguably their strangest album (not counting the super-experimental live album Hollindagin). I haven't listened to this one as much as the others, but it has some great moments. Lots of noise, lots of bizarreness, strong percussion. The tone is really dark and some of the songs downright scary. You probably shouldn't start here. It reminds me of some of Michael Gira's recent output. Hey Light

Sung Tongs - Suddenly AC turns 180 and plays happier, folkier indie stuff. Still weird, though. This isn't Jose Gonzalez or some "indie folk" poo poo. But it is acoustic guitar-heavy and has a lot of intricate, beautiful vocal work. Leaf House is an obvious standout and an incredible song. I consider this album the first of AC's great albums. It's a logical place to start, but as the album goes on the songs do tend to get less coherent.

Feels - Continuing the melodic elements of Sung Tongs, but introducing looped elements in a big way. Some songs repeat a single looped sample for minutes (such as the lugubrious Bees) but other use similar effects in a more pop-oriented way. This is a transition album for sure, between the acoustic world of Sung Tongs and the electronic/looping elements of Strawberry Jam and Merriweather. But as such, you get a great feel of AC's versatility, and the album is packed with fantastic songs. Another good place to start if you want to decide whether to lean towards earlier acoustic stuff or later electronic stuff. Once again, things slow down as the album progresses. I think Purple Bottle and Did You See The Words are masterpieces. (PS don't actually watch the Purple Bottle video of some weird-looking indie girls roll around trying to grab attention for six minutes.)

Strawberry Jam - Enter the MPC. This album is built on samples and synths. The album's title describes how it sounds: gooey, rich, sweet, thick. There are the same great melodies, a bit more emotive screaming (which was present before but very noticeable in this one), and the albums is moving towards something you could kind of dance to. This album is sharp and visceral and heavy on the highs. I got hooked on AC with this album, but I may have been better served starting earlier.For Reverend Green

Merriweather Post Pavilion - Their newest. Cream dream of Pitchfork, entry into the "mainstream." Definitely the most accessible AC album, and for that reason many recommend it as a starting point. There are dance-ish beats here, super-cool synths and beautiful harmonies. A lot of repetition. There's not much of an analog for any of AC's music, but this one at least uses elements that are more recognizable. My Girls and Brothersport cover the gamut of this album's sounds, for the most part. As far as an entry in AC, I'd start somewhere sooner. I think this album is best appreciated as a continuance of earlier themes in AC's evolution.

That was a lot longer than I expected, and I left out two albums that I'm not very familiar with (Danse Manatee and Campfire Songs). Hope this helps. Any other AC fans should correct me if I'm mistaken about something.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

Tripplejol posted:

Can anyone recommend any good solid funk?

A few years ago I had a brief flirtation with some of the more mainstream 60s/70s funk and I had all but forgotten about it until I heard Maximum Joy - Stretch recently.

Now, I know this isn't "proper" funk per se, but hopefully it'll give you some idea to the type of sound I'm looking for. I don't really mind what era it's from, just that it is heavy on the bass & horn, good to dance to & not something you'd find on a "20 Funk Classics" compilation CD.

With funk you really have to start with the obvious ones: Funkadelic, Parliament, Sly and the Family Stone (especially later albums Fresh and There's a Riot Goin On), Curtis Mayfield, War, Isaac Hayes, Rufus, etc. If you want some good modern funky stuff, check out everything on the Daptone label. NOMO, Poets of Rhythm, Lefties Soul Connection, Antibalas are making good stuff these days, too. If you want a great compilation of lesser-known funk and soul, check out the amazingly diverse and enjoyable What It Is! comp, which can lead you in the direction of more good bands.

Here's just some more classic funk bands that aren't necessarily as hugely known: Shotgun, Baby Huey, Buddy Miles, Eugene McDaniels, Lafayette Afro-Rock Band, Politicians, Eddie Hazel, Jimmy McGriff.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

swampland posted:

Hi, seeking sprawling, disturbing, disjointed albums. The kind that will keep you up at night and half stop your heart.

Along the lines of, say: The Drift by Scott Walker, From Her to Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers.

Basically as if I were a submissive and sought a master album to completely overwhelm and debase me.

This is a really cool request. I'm not sure how far up your alley this is, but try Deceit by This Heat. Post-punk, experimental, tribal influences, etc.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

Ewar Woowar posted:

Hello again recommendation thread.

I was listening to Funkadelic's Maggot Brain last night and realised I have nothing else like it in my collection. What would you guys and girls recommend?

Hehe my first edit spelt it as Fuckadelic.

If you can find "Psycha-Soula-Funkadelic" from The Politicians, it'll be right up your alley. Obviously that band was indebted to Funkadelic but they do some cool stuff.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

incoherent posted:

I'm looking for music similar to madlib beat cds (Mind Fusion, etc). I have a lot from stones throw catalog in addition to flying lotus, but is there anyone out there just making sick beats devoid of human voice?

Check out Damu the Fudgemunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I have a question similar to CinnamonToastFunk. I already know a few of the masters, but I'm looking for more "weird" jazz and don't really know where to start. I've just been listening to a lot of Sun Ra and a lot of the more instrumental Frank Zappa stuff, and not that there's really anyone that sounds like them but any other jazz with some sort of strange edge I'd love to listen to.

EDIT: Also realized I don't know poo poo about jazz fusion outside of Weather Report and Zappa's Hot Rats album, so anything there would be cool too.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk (he goes by Roland Kirk in his early days) is my favorite jazz artist and quite the weird one. He played 3 saxes at once, was blind, and wasn't really taken seriously in his time due to his antics. But is music is spectacular. Check out The Inflated Tear and then maybe some of his later work like Natural Black Inventions and Volunteered Slavery.