Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Three separate requests, in descending priority order:

1.) I'm looking for bands in the Neutral Milk Hotel/Hop Along vein. They're two of my favorites, along with Manchester Orchestra, Modest Mouse, The Mountain Goats, and Iron & Wine, but I hadn't quite put the connection together before I read this line: "Frances, a student of the Jeff Magnum style of make-it-weird-until-it-works songwriting..."

However, the same article said, "There is no one out there like Hop Along. Not even close," which is what I've always thought about NMH. So, I'm not sure where to look. Help?

2.) Something completely different: I fell in love with Priscilla Ahn's voice from some movie soundtrack work she did. Any similar female vocalists I should look into?

3.) In 2006, my older brother made a mix CD for me with a song ("Words Impossible") from Winter Took His Life. I've always loved the song and I got several more from him at the time, but I've never seen anything else from WTHL ever since. It occurred to me this afternoon that maybe I should, y'know, Google it, and I found that it was the solo moniker for a singer named Susanna Brandin. It looks like she released a full album in 2007 but then joined a quartet band called Hunt. It's kind of hard to piece together. Anyone have more information on what's she done?

Edit: Thank you for the recommendations!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Looking for two very different kinds of song recommendations:

1.) After hearing it in the new season of Twin Peaks, I'm in love with "Shadow" by Chromatics. It sounds like modern The Cure with a female singer. Any similar song recommendations I could pull together into a late night playlist?

2.) I have a hard-to-explain affinity for wistful songs about locations. John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads" would be an example. Simon & Garfunkel's "America" would be another. I'm sure there are a ton of these. I'd like to make a driving playlist of these.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Any recommendations for bands or songs that are reminiscent of "Touch the Sky" from the Brave soundtrack? Love her voice, and the music's great as well.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Recommend me songs with Big Éponine Energy.

Also, I just searched that as a phrase in Google and there was exactly one other use of that phrase on the internet, which is a Tumblr(?) post with image stills from Alvin and the Chipmunks. So, y'know, there's a lot to unpack here about I got to this point in my life.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I recently played Kentucky Route Zero, and I'm looking for more songs like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5HxIj8NEXY

I don't know how to describe it. Piercing is the right sensation but the wrong connotation. Maybe it's the lack of music, but her voice is just so crystal clear, like the literal audio quality is 10x better than any other song on YT... I dunno, it's just extremely pretty and pleasant and it hits different.

All recommendations appreciated, thank you!

edit: thank you all for the recommendations, these are great!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 3, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I saw a performance of Jesus Christ Superstar last week and it kind of sucked, to be honest, but I looked up the original soundtrack and that was significantly better.

For me, the stand-out track is Everything's Alright, which is just this unbelievably lovely lullaby (at least until fuckin' Judas pierces the heavens with his horrible screeching interruption). Any suggestions for songs like that? Thanks!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Ooh, thank you for the recommendations; I don't know why I didn't think of Karen Carpenter before. That's exactly who I needed to fill out this playlist, thanks!

edit: vvv Oh yes, I'm a big fan of his. Thanks though!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

Peter, Paul, and Mary... maybe? More folksy guitar, but lots of great sort of lullaby songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1G9wO9-54c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OCnHNk2Hac

Oh yes, that's the calming stuff, thank you!

:argh: